Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Eela6 posted:

I'm watching anime again for the first time since 2003.

So far, I have watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (A+), Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood (A-), Gurren Lagann (B+), Samurai Champloo(B), and Attack On Titan (B-). I've also tried a couple of other shows, like Trigun, but they didn't really stick with me. Other anime-influenced shows I've enjoyed include Steven Universe and Avatar - The Last Airbender.

Preferences
- technically solid animation
- good music
- gets 'good' fast - (nothing that "really gets good in season 4", please!)
- good english dub
- available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

None of these rules are dealbreakers. I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I figured I'd start here.

This isn't a bad place to ask, but you'll probably get more thoughtful responses in the recommendation thread.

I'm no dub expert, and I don't know what's on netflix or prime, but The Big O (anime robot batman) and Panty & Stocking (hilarity) are both good shows with good dubs. Ignoring your last two preferences, I recommend Madoka Magica (has a dub, no clue as to its quality) for being a great short (12 eps) show with great animation, characters, and storytelling, Gunbuster/Diebuster, which are pretty much proto Gurren Lagann (and arguably better and better-paced at a lean 6 eps each), and Haikyuu, which is a fantastic hot-blooded sports anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nakano is such a goober.
I really like the love origin story twist though.

Eela6 posted:

So far, I have watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (A+), Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood (A-), Gurren Lagann (B+), Samurai Champloo(B), and Attack On Titan (B-). I've also tried a couple of other shows, like Trigun, but they didn't really stick with me. Other anime-influenced shows I've enjoyed include Steven Universe and Avatar - The Last Airbender.
I don't watch dubs generally and mostly watch on Crunchyroll or Funimation, and mostly I'm just looking at FMA:B/Avatar:TLA/Attack on Titan since that's what I've seen, but taking that into account and in no particular order maybe look into these:

Fate/Zero
Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Hellsing Ultimate

Madoka Magica is potentially worth a shot if you aren't allergic to dark magical girls.

Also obligatory Symphogear recommendation.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

come back when youve seen a real anime, kid

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kylra posted:

I don't watch dubs generally and mostly watch on Crunchyroll or Funimation, and mostly I'm just looking at FMA:B/Avatar:TLA/Attack on Titan since that's what I've seen, but taking that into account and in no particular order maybe look into these:

Fate/Zero
Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Hellsing Ultimate

Madoka Magica is potentially worth a shot if you aren't allergic to dark magical girls.

Also obligatory Symphogear recommendation.

Do watch my hero academy and watch the dub. All Might's performance is A+++

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do watch my hero academy and watch the dub. All Might's performance is A+++
Very well. It is enqueued.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Erg posted:

i always knew he was the worst one

in no way does a bad nier review put justin below travis

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

in no way does a bad nier review put justin below travis

poo poo i thought travis was the fat one

okay justin is back to having a single bad opinion

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Eela6 posted:

Preferences
- good music
- good english dub

None of these rules are dealbreakers. I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I figured I'd start here.

As mentioned above, you should try posting in the recommendation thread too, but I'd suggest Steins;Gate. It's got a fantastic dub, great characters, good story, and so on. Only problem is that it might not be on Netflix anymore, though that depends where you live (ought to be on Funimation if you get a free trial though).

I hear One Punch Man got added to Netflix in some regions recently, and that's a fantastic show, albeit with no dub. Black Lagoon and Death Note might also be on Netflix - both are good fun and have good dubs. Aside from Netflix stuff, in general I'd recommend pretty much any Ghibli films that catch your interest if you haven't already been keeping up with them. I've got no idea where Baccano might be officially streaming, but that's another great show with an excellent dub if you can track down a DVD or Blu-Ray. And finally, just to throw another one in there, Ping Pong The Animation is a bloody excellent show, and only 11 episodes long. I haven't seen the dub though, so I can't comment on its quality.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Eela6 posted:

Preferences
- good music
- good english dub

FLCL is really what you're looking for. The animation is technically solid and generally looks good, it has really good music, is only 6 intensely packed episodes so it takes no time getting going, and has an English dub that puts the Japanese version to shame.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 22, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Its the Tuesday Wheel of Anime! Wheel stops at 10PM EST, in one hour! Be there or be anime

https://cytu.be/r/wheelofanime

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sorry Corals posted:

come back when youve seen a real anime, kid

I bet this kid hasn't even beaten earthbound

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Man what anime even has four seasons nowadays

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Snitches get stitches

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

chumbler posted:

She has excellent taste in shirts. Everyone else just isn't fashion forward enough.
:same:

Eela6 posted:

Preferences
- good music
- good english dub

Seconding My Hero Academia and One Punch Man, also going to throw in Little Witch Academia. The OVAs are on Netflix, albeit subbed, and the new anime will be added at some point.

Opinions here in adtrw on LWA's actual anime show are split, but I'm on the "I actually like it" side in that it has good episodic fun and is amazingly well animated and has some great characters. It's not as fast-paced as the OVAs (which is really my only complaint), obviously, but it's still great if you want a break from your fast stuff.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Are you mocking me or are you jealous that I'm besties with Bad Seafood and not you?

lmao

what in the world is this post omg

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm best bros with zorak, nbd

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm best friends with erg and i'm here to say, please don't bully him after today

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the wheel has stopped.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

dogsicle posted:

i'm best friends with erg and i'm here to say, please don't bully him after today

im gonna bully erg

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

im gonna bully erg

reported

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm best friends with everyone so I can be as powerful as possible.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I thought maybe there was an edit showing Kanna holding a sign that says "Please don't bully the dragons", but uh ... a search for that phrase in Google images is weird.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Eela6 posted:

Preferences
- good music
- good english dub

Gunbuster
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 22, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I started watching the Chain Chronicle anime because I was a player from like day one but holy poo poo this is awful

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Eela6 posted:

Preferences
- good music
- good english dub

I have no idea what's on Netflix or Amazon, but Baccano! fits your other preferences pretty drat well. I'm usually a stickler for subs, but Baccano's dub is actually better than the original audio imho. It's also just a really good show.

Everything else that has been recommended above is great too, and also I'm obligated by ADTRW maritime law to tell you to watch Chihayafuru.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Oh lol I forgot to mention El Hazard: The Magnificent World. It's only like idk 6 or 8 episodes and has a fantastic dub.

If you haven't figured it out now a lot of good old stuff isn't going to be on streaming sites sadly.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Mentat Radnor posted:

Baccano's dub

Mentat Radnor posted:

Baccano's dub

Mentat Radnor posted:

Baccano's dub

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's a good dub *tv spontaneously changes to Jojo as I transform into a normie*

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dubs are good

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

baccano's dub is good with the caveat that you have to be okay with american VAs aping gangster/assorted accents

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Now this is what the crabcat supports and I can get behind this

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
*shoots all the fake crab cats*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

for real though giving other posters the crabcat was a bad idea

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eela6 posted:

Preferences
- good music
- good english dub

netflix's anime selection is pretty bad, idk about hulu. I would suggest Madoka Magica though, good dub, short and consistently good throughout, and if you want to make it even shorter you can watch the movies instead of the series.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

netflix's anime selection is pretty bad, idk about hulu. I would suggest Madoka Magica though, good dub, short and consistently good throughout, and if you want to make it even shorter you can watch the movies instead of the series.

Thank you for reminding me that the boy and the beast is on Netflix. I planned on watching it tonight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

littleorv posted:

for real though giving other posters the crabcat was a bad idea

it's good because the mod won't know which to probe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

It's a good dub *tv spontaneously changes to Jojo as I transform into a normie*

I didn't see any transformation.