Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Urcher posted:

Is that the abhorrent "australian memes page" or the "abhorrent australian memes page".

I'm asking for a friend.

The latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/844334501438271488

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Here I made this to help some of you understand the PHON > ALP > LNP preference flow:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/ABC_NewsRadio/status/844373631937396736

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I thought you needed a heartbeat to suffer a stroke.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Was Reith the one that went on that sbs show that took a bunch of racists to war zones and asked if they still supported turning back the boats?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That diagram is great but implies lnp are unionists.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Good.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

norp posted:

Was Reith the one that went on that sbs show that took a bunch of racists to war zones and asked if they still supported turning back the boats?

Yes, and when confronted with one of the people from The Tampa (I think...) who was returned to Afghanistan by Reith and has to spend years in hiding to avoid being killed, and all his friends and family have been killed, Reith said "yeah but returning him was still the right thing to do".

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bogan King posted:

So the dude who got hit by a croc the other day jumping in the creek on a dare

1) Wasn't jumping in because of a dare but instead doing it to impress a woman
2) Wasn't jumping in because the woman wanted him to do it to impress her, instead wanted him to not do it
3) Had this to say afterwrds (final sentence)

So there is video of him talking about the attack

The Idiot posted:

About 10 cups of goon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnLyt6v59_o

ftfy

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

That diagram is great but implies lnp are unionists.

I don't understand how but I suspect that may be the problem.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

iajanus posted:

Wait

I have some pink football jerseys and I like wearing them

But I am married to a woman

Have I accidentally broken the gay marriage embargo?

professional referee spotted, you dog

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Jesus Christ don't gently caress with Michael Kroger.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-22/peter-reith-hospitalised-after-serious-medical-emergency/8376596

My favourite part about this article is the last line:

abc posted:

More to come.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Be still, our beating hearts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So is he going to become even more right wing now?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

malcolm roberts is illiterate

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Sydney Morning Homosexual posted:

A Sydney man has been awarded $3000 for being stopped by police for four minutes at Liverpool train station, after a court ruled this amounted to false imprisonment.

Sam Le, 24, was approached by two police officers in January last year and asked to produce his Opal card and pensioner concession card, along with photo identification.

One of the officers told the District Court he suspected Mr Le may have stolen the concession card because he appeared "young and fit" and was "evasive" when asked to hand over his Opal card.

In an exchange captured by Mr Le on his mobile phone, the officer called him a "smart arse" and asked if he "had a problem listening".

He was told he was not under arrest but was "not leaving" until the officers had verified his identity.

"So this officer is now demanding ... my driver's licence when I'm not even in a car," Mr Le said in the video.

"Yeah, put it onto whatever social media you want. Be a hero," the officer replied, after Mr Le said the officer was refusing to tell him his first name.

After four minutes and 15 seconds waiting on the platform while police conducted a radio check, Mr Le was told he was "free to go".

Mr Le sued the state of NSW in the District Court for false imprisonment and won.

Judge Matthew Dicker said the police officer had an "honest suspicion" the concession card may have been stolen but this was based on "tenuous" rather than "reasonable" grounds.

Mr Le's apparent youth was "not a fact which could reasonably ground a suspicion that the concession card may have been stolen" and he did not act evasively, Judge Dicker said.

He said police did not have the power to demand commuters hand over more than their Opal card and concession card, unless they did not have their concession card with them and had other "relevant evidence" to support their entitlement to the concession.

Mr Le gave evidence in court he was on a disability pension.

Judge Dicker said there was "no conscious wrongdoing" by the police and their evidence was truthful, although it was "not appropriate" to call Mr Le a "smart arse".

In contrast, he rejected some of Mr Le's evidence and said "some caution should be exercised" in accepting it without "independent evidence".

But he said false imprisonment had been established and awarded Mr Le $3201 in damages including interest.

Judge Dicker said physical constraint or force "does not have to be proved" and Mr Le had established he was "imprisoned through being detained".

In calculating damages he took into account the "very short period" of detention, along with the fact Mr Le was "not manhandled ... or handcuffed" or put in a police cell or van.

Mr Le's lawyer, Andrea Turner, said commuters were unaware of their legal rights and were handing over their drivers' licences to police "without anything being suspicious about their concession card and nothing suspicious about their Opal card".

Mr Le said he brought the case because he wanted to "send a message to the police force that they can't just approach someone and demand their personal identification ... when a person has not committed any offence".

"There's no reason for police to approach me demanding my ID [to] do further checks on me," he said.

A NSW police spokesman said they were "currently reviewing the decision of the court".

It is the second time Mr Le has sued the state over an incident with police. A 2015 case was settled out of court.

He denied in court that he said to the police officer involved in the earlier incident "thanks for the holiday" and he had "lots of money" as a result of the settlement.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

CLEIV

https://twitter.com/CliveFPalmer/status/842461339851210752

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

drowned in pussy juice posted:

professional referee spotted, you dog

Well, I do have pretty poor eyesight...

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We are at the dawn of a new era - and like the dinosaurs who just thought they were having an off day - many Aussie retailers aren’t going to know what’s hit them. In the coming months Amazon will start opening its online doors in Australia. And already locals are seeing an impact.
Australia’s favourite retail curmudgeon, Gerry Harvey, has seen $100M disappear from his personal balance sheet as the likelihood of his prediction that the internet would never amount to much for retail is slowly being shown to have been somewhat less than correct.

As we recently reported, it has been speculated that Myer could lose anywhere up to 55 per cent of its earnings over the next five years.

The old Myer cafeteria is going to need to sell a lot of bad coffee and “Frog in a Ponds” to cover those kids of losses.

Credit Suisse says Myer could be just the tip of the iceberg with Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi, Supercheap Auto, Rebel and Amart Sports, BigW, Kmart and Target all tipped to see revenues smashed.

Officially, Amazon hasn’t made any announcements concerning its retail presence here. But recruiting for hundreds of workers suggests they’ll be here sooner rather than later.

An article at The Financial Review [subscription required] reported Watermark Funds Investment chief investment officer Justin Braitling as saying Amazon was planning to undercut locals by around 30%. Braitling used the word “destroy” to describe Amazon’s Australian ambitions.

It will be interesting to see what the retail industry does when Amazon arrives - I think we can dispense with the “if they’ll arrive”.

Past form suggests we’ll hear a lot of bleating and whining. Just like the brouhaha over forcing customers to pay GST on products that are purchased from overseas, I suspect we’ll see Gerry Harvey and his mates buying new megaphones so we can listen to them complain about how they’re battling.

Amazon’s founder Jeff Bezos as been quoted has saying “your margin is our opportunity” when undercutting prices in new markets the company expands into. And when you look at the Credit Suisse report, it's pretty obvious who the potential victims of amazon's expansion are.

According to the report: "Almost anything that can be put in a small box is likely to be vulnerable to Amazon".

I wonder if the local retail establishment will get into the ACCC’s ear and try to push for a predatory pricing argument, saying Amazon’s purpose is not to compete but to eliminate or damage a competitor.

The ACCC has some specific guidelines regarding predatory pricing. The argument is that predatory pricing will force competitors out of business, leaving the “winner” to scoop up the market and then raise prices as there’s no competition to keep them honest.

I’m not a lawyer but given Amazon is a new entrant to the Australian market, it would be tough to make a case that a multi-billion dollar empire like Myer or Harvey Norman would be a victim of predatory pricing.

The reality is online retail has been a thing for close to 20 years. I suspect major retailers are looking at the bookshop business and see a model for what could happen to them.

My local shopping centre - which was recently expanded and is now pretty huge has just three bookstores - a Dymocks, a QBD with cut-price books and a niche store with some less commercial titles and a decent selection of graphic novels.

A decade ago, when the centre was much smaller, there were at least six I can remember.

Having many years to prepare for this inevitable storm hasn’t been enough for them to prepare their operation for a lower-margin world.

Amazon is coming. Local retailers can do their best King Canute but they aren’t going to stop the flow of customers rushing like a rising tide to Amazon and other overseas retailers that see the opportunities here.

Anyone who travels to the US will know we pay a premium for many goods here. Those days are coming to an end.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I didn't know JB was under the gun, I buy lots of dvds from them.

E: Online, that is. Haven't been in a store in months.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

I’m unemployed and ashamed. The idea that people don’t want to work is a ridiculous myth
Vicki Nash

The stigma attached to unemployment can be dangerous. We should all think before we judge people who are struggling with trying to find work
People waiting in line
‘When I was shutting down my business, the thought that I may be unemployed and on the precipice of giving up entirely would never have occurred to me.’ Photograph: Alamy Stock Photo

Last year I made a decision I’d been struggling with for a few years: I walked away from the business I was running, the business I’d sacrificed most of my 20s and numerous friendships and relationships to, the business I had dreamed of running since my primary school years.

To say this was a difficult choice would be a massive understatement but it was what was right for me, or so I believed. I wanted a social life, a regular job and a regular paycheque, and most of all I wanted to feel like a regular person.

For too long I had felt like someone who was tied to her business, who was constantly overworked, overstressed and over budget, but I’d lost track of who I was outside the business. I ran a small thoroughbred farm breeding and breaking in horses for racing, and it was my life for a long time. But it’s clearly not an industry that leaves me with an obvious place to transition.

Another factor was my age. If I was leaving my business behind then I also wanted to leave the industry behind, start afresh entirely and, at 28, I was aware that not only was I getting ancient in terms of entry-level positions, but that if I was going to make a success of myself in my new field then I was better off getting started in it yesterday.

Unfortunately it has now been over six months since I started in earnest to apply for jobs in different fields, seeking to be reborn on a new career path. With the exception of one online video interview, I haven’t made it past the first checkpoint.

There are a lot of factors at play in this, and in some way I even have sympathy with the countless employers who have rejected me without even meeting me; unemployment is high at that moment, particularly in the Geelong region where I now live. I have no experience that counts, and that I was self-employed for so long does negatively affect the quality of my references. It has also become clear to me that most prospective employers see a history of self-employment in a negative light.

But sympathising with all the reasons that people don’t want to hire me doesn’t actually make the task of job hunting any easier, if anything it makes it worse. I can see why people don’t want to hire a now 29-year-old with no relevant experience and a history of self-employment and, as time passes, I increasingly fail to see why they would.

I imagine this loss of faith in oneself and the growing belief that the ongoing rejections are never going to turn around is common among the unemployed. I just never thought I’d be one of them.

Going into this, my biggest concern was that I would have to start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up. It never occurred to me that I would be unable to get a leg on the first rung. I would now give almost anything for the opportunity to prove my worth in almost any position and at any level.

This time last year I was still in the process of closing down my business. It was heartbreaking and depressing but it was something I got through by reminding myself how much easier it would be when it was through.

I knew, not with cockiness but simply because of the faith I had in myself, that I would find another arena in which to excel. The thought that I may be unemployed and on the precipice of giving up entirely never occurred to me.

Among the things I knew about myself then was that I was intelligent and hardworking, with many transferrable skills that would make me an asset in any number of industries – but I no longer know these things.

When I think about my unemployed status today these are the things I know: that I may never find anyone willing to hire me; that with every passing day I get a little older and a little less employable and the majority of my intelligent, articulate and sometimes witty cover letters are not even being read. Or perhaps they’re not that witty after all.

I do not feel this every day but there are days where a previously unfamiliar feeling of uselessness and hopelessness do creep over me, and they are demons that I find myself increasingly unable to keep at bay. I never thought unemployment would happen to me. I imagined having to take a job I didn’t necessarily want but no job at all wasn’t anywhere on my radar. I think it’s probably this way for a lot of unemployed individuals. And this is probably the greatest lesson that has come out of this experience: that the idea that people don’t want to work, that the unemployed are somehow lazy or unmotivated, is a ridiculous myth. And yet I still haven’t learned it completely.

I still lie to acquaintances and even friends about my employment; make out that I’m doing some casual work to tide me over or make jokes about it because I’m ashamed. I judge myself every day and I’m determined not to let others judge me too.

There is a stigma attached to unemployment that can be dangerous because I don’t think it would take much for it to create a potentially irreversible self-hatred. I fill my days with routines that involve exercise, cleaning, job applications and writing and certainly no television or leisure time during work hours; I’m strict on that. I don’t claim welfare of any kind, because apart from anything else I am far too proud, another one of my failings.

I am not what the unemployed stereotype looks like but I am unquestionably unemployed and I’m struggling mentally, emotionally and financially every day. I often barely recognise myself.

This is not a story of self-pity, although it has elements of that I’m sure. I’m sacrificing my pride in writing about this. But it’s a lesson to think before you judge because unemployment is hard. If we could just come out and speak about our own struggles with unemployment freely and without shame and stigma, it may just get a little bit easier.

My unemployed stigma story: Kid living next door to me in a shed in someone's back yard, is 18, no skills because dad's a drunk and he's had an unstable home life, at risk of being even more homeless because dad's a drunk and keeps loving it up for everyone, lives in a town (Newcastle) with a youth unemployment often at 20% and sometimes is as high as 32% (can't find up to date figures but I'm banking it's around 20% or 15% at least)...

... Called 'too lazy to work'.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Anidav posted:

Anyone who travels to the US will know we pay a premium for many goods here. Those days are coming to an end.

I moved to the US a year ago to work (for Amazon - just for full disclosure). Having access to fast (2 day in most cases) free delivery means that pretty much everything that's not groceries and clothes comes from them. And even clothes, I'll often go try something on in a shop, and then come home and order it online for 20% less.

I'd be very concerned being a retailer in Australia right now - the price is one thing, but the attraction of its convenience is probably underestimated.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

Here I made this to help some of you understand the PHON > ALP > LNP preference flow:

CFMEU are racists?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

I didn't know JB was under the gun, I buy lots of dvds from them.

E: Online, that is. Haven't been in a store in months.

JB are purposefully moving away from small item sales which used to be their bread and butter in preparation for the Amazon attack. They bought Good Guys and JB Home is starting to take the lead as far as money coming in goes.

You Am I posted:

CFMEU are racists?

Yeah what the gently caress... may as well write bikies or some other Herald Sun poo poo in there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

You Am I posted:

CFMEU are racists?

Yeah this is bullshit, CFMEU regularly provides big burly support to anti racist rallies. People who think the CFMEU are one of the bad unions are fuckwits

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

B b b but they broke the laws :cry:

I just assume it's some idiotic blue-green thing about a time they said gently caress foreign investment or something because you can be racist against the NIKKEI and Shanghai Composite these days.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 22, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well there was that ChAFTA campaign they did a few years back..

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh it was rofl

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

jfc :negative:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

CFMEU is pretty racist in Brisbane. When the Asian FTAs with China and South Korea went through there were marches onto City Hall for about a week and you would often see dudes dress as samurai holding "HAHA FOOLISH AUSTRALIAN!" signs and other recycled WWII Zap a Jap/Yellow Peril tropes.

Made walking to QUT kind of concerning because you'd have to drift through CFMEU dudes dressed as asian stereotypes with loving dumb signs about how the Asians are coming.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You'd have to live in QLD to see the madness logic that'd allow for Unionists to vote for ONP.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Keep your pants on Auspol. The CFMEU as an institution are cool and good.

Are all of their members are ideologically pure? Sweet Jesus No... but I respect the institution and what it has and continues to do for us.

But for the purpose of a venn diagram that aims to explain how someone's going to preference the ALP above LNP but after PHON... Okay maybe for the sake of accuracy, that segment should have said "Racist Tradies".

edit: "From QLD" is redundant.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

CFMEU is pretty racist in Brisbane. When the Asian FTAs with China and South Korea went through there were marches onto City Hall for about a week and you would often see dudes dress as samurai holding "HAHA FOOLISH AUSTRALIAN!" signs and other recycled WWII Zap a Jap/Yellow Peril tropes.

Made walking to QUT kind of concerning because you'd have to drift through CFMEU dudes dressed as asian stereotypes with loving dumb signs about how the Asians are coming.

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say the determining factor in racism here is not in fact union membership but rather the fact that they're in Queensland you dumb jock

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Supercheap auto are fine. Their bread and butter is either physically large items (e.g batteries, 5 liters of oil), or stuff that you need today when you have the free time to replace that part.

Having someone assure you that the sw4636784-nb is definitively only for the commodore made before July 2012 doesn't hurt either

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Qld itself is fine. The smart state.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hiddenmovement posted:

Supercheap auto are fine. Their bread and butter is either physically large items (e.g batteries, 5 liters of oil), or stuff that you need today when you have the free time to replace that part.

Having someone assure you that the sw4636784-nb is definitively only for the commodore made before July 2012 doesn't hurt either

Yeah I was scratching my head at this one too. I buy a tonne of stuff online, but the poo poo I buy from SCA is typically heavy or bulky, and given Australia's god awful postage, it's way more convenient to just jet up the road to the local than wait a up to a week for something to make it 12km from the local warehouse, or 2+ weeks from the Eastern States, even for small stuff. Cheap car poo poo has been available from Ebay forever, and SCA don't seem to be failing en masse, so this smells a bit of scare campaign to me

Even Harvey Norman - JB/Ebay/AliExpress/DX etc have been undercutting them for small box stuff like small electronics for years, and I don't think Amazon coming in is going to devastate them overnight.

Add to that the fact that pretty much every US based online retailer (take Steam for example) marks up Aus sales just because, and it might not be the end for local retail yet.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

hiddenmovement posted:

Amazon feedback does this for the things I buy (usually electronics/computer related).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

An independent report into all of Liberal MP Sussan Ley's work travel expenses has found she breached the rules once over a three-and-a-half year period.

The former health minister was forced to step down from her position in the Cabinet earlier this year following revelations she bought an $800,000 apartment during a work trip to the Gold Coast.

The independent report, conducted and released today by the Finance Department, found the sole breach of the rules occurred when Ms Ley used a government-funded car to take her from her hotel to the apartment.

The trip lasted about five minutes.

Prior to her resignation as a minister, there were other claims she had breached the rules, including billing taxpayers to attend two New Year's Eve events hosted by a prominent Queensland businesswoman and donor, and piloting a plane when other, less-expensive options were available.

But the report found Ms Ley did not breach the rules in any of those instances.

The now backbencher addressed the findings of the report at the Federation Chamber in Parliament, saying she wants the public to draw their own conclusions about her conduct.

"I simply table the outcome of the investigation, as I said I would, and in doing so I allow people to draw their own conclusions."

The use of the car for 5 minutes isn't the problem with all of this. The fact that going to donor parties isn't against the rules and nor is the purchasing of a house from donors like you did is the problem. Shame that poo poo is perfectly fine though.

• Locked thread