Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

just get yourself a copy of Photoshop 4 on eBay and run it on SGI IRIX if you want the best possible Photoshop experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

outlook for ios has completely stopped working with my gmail account, and their chat support has also stopped responding to me.

You make awful decisions

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Millstone posted:

You make awful decisions

the outlook app is good

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hello everybody. i'd like to take this opportunity to note that Microsoft has finally added to powerpoint the ability to highlight text—but only with an o365 subscription. the feature was added as an incremental update after the standalone o2016 went gold.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
er, office 2016 is still receiving feature updates

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i have office 2016 standalone on my personal computer and office 2016 via office 365 on my work computer. the ability to highlight text is only available in the office 365 version, and has not been pushed to the standalone version.

e:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

i have office 2016 standalone on my personal computer and office 2016 via office 365 on my work computer. the ability to highlight text is only available in the office 365 version, and has not been pushed to the standalone version.

e:

lol microsoft makes you pay for updates to software you already paid for

and yet windows is free software!!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

the outlook app is good

agree

pram
Jun 10, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

e:

what the gently caress. 'borrow highlighting'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

what the gently caress. 'borrow highlighting'
yeah you go into word, do the thing you want to do in powerpoint, then copy it and paste into powerpoint with "keep source formatting" on. that's literally their instructions

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 23, 2017

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

anthonypants posted:

yeah you go into word, do the thing you want to do in powershell, then copy it and paste into powerpoint with "keep source formatting" on. that's literally their instructions

:vince:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
sorry that first one should be powerpoint and not powershell

pram
Jun 10, 2001
:shepface:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mishaq posted:

lol microsoft makes you pay for updates to software you already paid for

and yet windows is free software!!!

hmmm, so it turns out that if you are an old fogey who insists on buying the shrinkwrap version of the thing you in fact do not get the subscription of running feature upgrades of the subscription version? micro$$hafted again!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hmmm, so it turns out that if you are an old fogey who insists on buying the shrinkwrap version of the thing you in fact do not get the subscription of running feature upgrades of the subscription version? micro$$hafted again!

wait, ms is selling a version of office they aren't updating? lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

lol you knob

Last Chance posted:

lol yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

the office 365 stuff is in sort-of continual development, and you always automatically has the latest version, if you buy office 2016 in a box for a one-time price though it works like office has always works: you have that version, you get security updates etc. of course, but there is no feature additions coming in the future without buying another box

the only difference between the way you are not "getting updates" in office 2016 compared to office 2003 back in the day is that the development of the next version is more publicly visible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tl;dr subscribe to o365 if you use office at all

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i know how it works it's just stupid and lol if you bought into microsofts bullshit

the way it should work:

you buy office 2016, you get updates in parity with o365 for (let's say) 2 years but then you get cutoff when they decide to release the new 2018 version, then that version gets updates in parity as 2016 did for 2 years

the way they do it now is annoying and stupid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, i mean, of course it is sort of stupid, but what it amounts to is microsoft calling the people who insist on the boxed copy stupid, but wont force people off of it just yet

notably 2 years of office 365 is costs less than what it costs to buy a boxed copy of office 2016, and you get a lot more stuff than the core office suite with the subscription

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the office 365 stuff is in sort-of continual development, and you always automatically has the latest version, if you buy office 2016 in a box for a one-time price though it works like office has always works: you have that version, you get security updates etc. of course, but there is no feature additions coming in the future without buying another box

the only difference between the way you are not "getting updates" in office 2016 compared to office 2003 back in the day is that the development of the next version is more publicly visible

nonsense like this really shows that ms actively hates their customers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the office 365 stuff is in sort-of continual development

didn't microsoft fire all their qa people? this seems like a bad combo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

nonsense like this really shows that ms actively hates their customers

i really don't see that. o365 is a far better deal for all normal people, shrinkwrap software is an anachronism

not like i have a license either way, but i certainly am far far more likely, if my life takes such a sad turn, to get a o365 subscription than i ever was of buying a boxed copy of office

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i actually recommend o365 to people that actually need office especially if they're deploying to more than one pc - then it's way cheaper if you buy 1yr at a time

but i still hate how they are doing it

mishaq posted:

didn't microsoft fire all their qa people? this seems like a bad combo

ha, yeah

i wish mini microsoft around these days to tell us how that's working out for them

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

i really don't see that. o365 is a far better deal for all normal people, shrinkwrap software is an anachronism

not like i have a license either way, but i certainly am far far more likely, if my life takes such a sad turn, to get a o365 subscription than i ever was of buying a boxed copy of office

if shrinkwrap software is an anachronism so is paying $100 a year just to do desktop publishing, a problem that was solved in like 97

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Cold on a Cob posted:

i actually recommend o365 to people that actually need office especially if they're deploying to more than one pc - then it's way cheaper if you buy 1yr at a time

i think of the concept of people who need office and i lol a little :newlol:

then i think that there probably are a bunch for whom this is a reality :smith:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tl;dr use your work's subscription to o365 if you use office at all

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i know how it works it's just stupid and lol if you bought into microsofts bullshit

the way it should work:

you buy office 2016, you get updates in parity with o365 for (let's say) 2 years but then you get cutoff when they decide to release the new 2018 version, then that version gets updates in parity as 2016 did for 2 years

the way they do it now is annoying and stupid

its cheaper to get 365 than to do office upgrades every 2 years.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shaggar posted:

its cheaper to get 365 than to do office upgrades every 2 years.

office from 2003 still works perfectly fine for 99% of things that people use office for. there is no need whatsoever to upgrade office every two years unless you're on some massive volume license deal where the economies of scale make it worthwhile. most people aren't buying new office products every two years, but rather when a computer in the office dies and needs to be replaced they grab a new one or just install an old copy.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the only reason i can see to upgrade your office program is because whatever patches are needed to stop your spreadsheet from broadcasting an ip address won't run on the version you have

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unless you're a loving goober, you keep all your machines on the same version of office for compatibility reasons.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

office from 2003 still works perfectly fine for 99% of things that people use office for. there is no need whatsoever to upgrade office every two years unless you're on some massive volume license deal where the economies of scale make it worthwhile. most people aren't buying new office products every two years, but rather when a computer in the office dies and needs to be replaced they grab a new one or just install an old copy.

just upgraded from 2010 to 2016 and legit can't find anything functional that has changed

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

just upgraded from 2010 to 2016 and legit can't find anything functional that has changed

actually, now you can highlight some text in powerpoi-OH WAIT NEVERMIND

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

THE NEW FIELD HEADINGS AND STATUS TEXT ARE INTERESTING

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

tl;dr subscribe to o365 if you use office at all

unless you ahve access to HUP pricing, then get on that ($10 for standalone office 2016? yes please)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

unless you ahve access to HUP pricing, then get on that ($10 for standalone office 2016? yes please)

HUP owns

lol at paying a subscription for personal use of office

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phrosphor posted:

All of the first run surface pro 3's that management wanted so desperately (30+ devices) are now suffering catastrophic battery failures, this is on top of the TPM issues that messed up Bitlocker, the Wireless/Bluetooth network adapter failures and the rampant terrifying overheating. Only way to get the batteries replaced is to send them to Microsoft, who don't do the repairs in country (and guess what they are out of warranty isn't that convenient), or to some shady msp, last time we tried that they didn't reseal the device properly and it was the wrong shape which meant it didn't fit in the Gen1 docking station anymore.

Most will lose charge within minutes of being undocked, some within seconds. A couple won't even run while docked unless the device is in powersaver mode and the screen brightness is turned down to nothing. The surface pro product line is a total turd for anyone wanting to do anything other than browse the internet/check email.

The only good news is it means we aren't looking at SP4's or SurfaceBooks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there was a firmware fix for that a couple months ago, of course that didn't solve the issue of the batteries being rapidly charge cycled for months, so they're left at ~60% capacity after two years.

of course if you were buying them for business use and didn't get the "microsoft complete" warranty you're an idiot. if you did get that they'll exchange it over the counter at any microsoft store, no questions asked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah i mean if you got a bunch of surfaces pro you're clearly a gullible idiot with way too much money, so why wouldn't you spring for the warranty too? just doesn't make sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you spring for the warranty because it's a capital expense and the cost of the warranty is lower than the cost of downtime, but yeah, that too

• Locked thread