Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Decrepus posted:

You eat the fresh pineapple. Delicious!
You eat the fresh pineapple. Delicious!
Your face begins to dissolve.
You continue eating the fresh pineapple.
You die.

If only we had IVAN mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Internet Kraken posted:

Hey I know everything I say always gets ignored but I feel compelled to mention that Uskayaw is a super fun and unique god right now. Don't gently caress with it just because the devs can't agree on the proper way to butcher SteelNeuron's idea.

fun and unique? can't believe this one got past the dragnet, boys, get minmay and dpeg on the line. we got some emergency changes to push

SteelNeuron posted:

Anyway, back to working on my own stuff! At least I'm glad I know where to put my effort now.

fwiw you made crawl really fun to play again for a little while for someone like me who feels like they otherwise exhausted and won the game so thank you for your hard work, and i'm sorry it turned out this way!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

cheetah7071 posted:

Dungeness Crab Stone Soup

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Stealing that for next tournament team name.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sojenus posted:

i'm not sure why people advocate to bring rmut back when the real solution is to remove malmutate

better crab race idea: exactly like a human but with a red crab-person sprite and 100% mutation resistance because crabs are already perfect

It could just replace humans, they are in tolkein after all.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Lord of the Rings had predominant sword use. Remove swords and armor to help move from Tolkien fantasy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

World Famous W posted:

Lord of the Rings had predominant sword use. Remove swords and armor to help move from Tolkien fantasy.

I'm okay with this as long as some other weapon gets riposte

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just merge all weapon types into one that has cleaving, reaching, super-stabbing, and riposte without ever cutting off hydra heads. :getin:

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Dungeon Crab Stone Soup

Dungeon Crawl Crab Soup imo

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Add 1 to every displayed aptitude but keep the actual skill growth rate the same

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Glidergun posted:

Dungeon Crawl Crab Soup imo

Lobster Crab Krill Shrimp

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Samog posted:

Add 1 to every displayed aptitude but keep the actual skill growth rate the same

Best idea yet.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Nemelex trip report: I summoned a Panlord in Orc, 5/5

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

I've finally got a mummy of kiku past two runes and it's quickly turning into a pleasant trip. I don't have to worry about food or potions cluttering my inventory and even high-ac monsters die swiftly to my quickblade of pain. If I need easy mode, I can make it rain down corpses and poo poo down one's neck to torment everyone in sight.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

Nemelex trip report: I summoned a Panlord in Orc, 5/5

It's fun when this happens

Inversely, the Foxfire card exists

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

taqueso posted:

Best idea yet.

it would actually make a lot of sense i think

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Samog posted:

This might encourage tedium as people add experience to skills just to see numbers go up. This sort of play is 'optimal' as higher numbers mean bigger damage/better spells, and so this should be avoided.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Samog posted:

quote:

MarvinPA committed on Dec 10, 2016

As an alternative to the proposal of Basajaunak as a large caster race, instead
let Ogres take more advantage of their Ogre Mage heritage, with -1 spell school
apts across the board. Also give them more starting int but less str/dex, and
significantly decrease their M&F apt - they're still uniquely able to make the
most of GSCs but now require more of an investment to do so (and might feasibly
consider other weapon types too), and the extra XP cost for GSC usage is likely
more than made up for by the XP saved on spell schools.

i think this is pretty silly but here it is

I like how we can't let Ogres have a positive M&F apt because they got better at spells even though, you know, Mi, Gr, and Ho exist and Ogre still wouldn't be good.

e: Or by saying this am I encouraging Mi to get removed? Please don't remove Mi.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 22, 2017

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
It's ok for Ogres to have a positive mace apt. Even if they had +3 to maces thanks to the better spell aptitudes you have a reason to use magical staves or something like a randart quarterstaff/polearm that boosts your Int and/or MP.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maybe all races should have the same exact average weapon apts. Think of all the choices! Merfolk with clubs! Orcs with daggers! Vampires with bows!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Bring back katanas and add dakimakura imo

Sprawled octopode looking all seductive on one side
Lots of tentacles with rings on the other

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maybe all races should have the same exact average weapon apts. Think of all the choices! Merfolk with clubs! Orcs with daggers! Vampires with bows!

If the devs ruin merfolk then I will truly know that all of my hyperbole wasn't hyperbolizing enough

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

A developer points his finger at you a mutters some words.
You are banished from the thread.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I agree that the low M&F aptitude is still dumb for Ogres, since it doesn't actually create an interesting decision for Ogres in the slightest. One of the major reasons people pick large races is to use large equipment. People will choose M&F on Ogres anyway: either they want to use a GC/GSC, or they are using a shield and will want to use M&F for the best shield based weapons. -1 isn't going to make any difference over a higher aptitude other than making it take longer to train, so maybe an early ogre will pick up a shield early on until they have enough skill to wield a GC/GSC safely. If it goes any lower (like Tavern suggests), everyone who wants to use large equipment will just pick Trolls instead (their M&F is also -1). At that point, you've actually taken options from ogre being anything other than being a lovely, healthy spellcaster (which Draconian and Hill Orc do way better). I guess you give more options to Trolls at that point, but why have playable Ogres at all then?

If they need a nerf to M&F for better spell school apts, taking it to 0 or +1 is good enough for encouraging players to branch out over a glass cannon rush.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Floodkiller posted:

If it goes any lower (like Tavern suggests)
Is this a joke, or does Tavern actually want ogres to get even shittier at their one niche?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Is this a joke, or does Tavern actually want ogres to get even shittier at their one niche?

duvessa posted:

The average maces aptitude is about -0.7. -1 isn't very far below average, and giant clubs are still a no-brainer on ogres, anyway (which is why I suggested nerfing it to -2 or -3, not -1).

Ogres being large is the real limiter; the only way I could think of to make them weapon diverse is to either give all of their other weapons way better aptitudes, or nerf the M&F into the ground, leading to people picking Troll instead. If the later, I would just give Draconians +20-30% HP, cut Ogres, and be done with it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So does tavern just have a MiBe fetish, and no other combo is allowed to be even remotely good

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Floodkiller posted:

Ogres being large is the real limiter; the only way I could think of to make them weapon diverse is to either give all of their other weapons way better aptitudes, or nerf the M&F into the ground, leading to people picking Troll instead. If the later, I would just give Draconians +20-30% HP, cut Ogres, and be done with it.

Add LARGE ogre-sized weapons of all types. Anime Quadruple sword, Paul Bunyan axe, etc.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The devs, evil as they are, will not rest until they have cut every species aside from demonspawn, and them only because the outcry from the playerbase would be too great. there would be no one to play their lovely game and no one to cry tears of lost favorites, which is their only source of sustenance.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Duvessa/minmay is the same person I was talking about a while back that tends to speak in absolutes which is a pet peeve of mine in the context of a game like Crawl. He can make good points, too, but I'd definitely take the Ogre stuff with a huge grain of salt.

e: grammar

apple fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

apple posted:

Duvessa/minmay is the same person I was talking about a while back that tends to speak a in absolutes which is a pet peeve of mine in the context of a game like Crawl. He make good points, too, but I'd definitely take the Ogre stuff with a huge grain of salt.

"Literally nobody needs resists"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That person is the worst poster on the Tavern by far. Being a dev just makes them more full of themselves

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Floodkiller posted:

Ogres being large is the real limiter; the only way I could think of to make them weapon diverse is to either give all of their other weapons way better aptitudes, or nerf the M&F into the ground, leading to people picking Troll instead.
I'm still not sure why it's a problem for GSC to be their Thing. It's like complaining about magic being a no-brainer on DE - no poo poo it's a no-brainer, that's the entire loving point of the species!

If minmay wants a species that's an undifferentiated blob, they can go play Human. But nobody plays Hu, because it turns out undifferentiated blob species are boring.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Speleothing posted:

That person is the worst poster on the Tavern by far. Being a dev just makes them more full of themselves

That's mistaken, minmay is not part of the dev team.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I'm still not sure why it's a problem for GSC to be their Thing. It's like complaining about magic being a no-brainer on DE - no poo poo it's a no-brainer, that's the entire loving point of the species!

If minmay wants a species that's an undifferentiated blob, they can go play Human. But nobody plays Hu, because it turns out undifferentiated blob species are boring.

Human Wanderer is fun cause you are basically playing at the floor god's whims.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Human Wanderer is fun cause you are basically playing at the floor god's whims.

Demonspawn wanderer is the same but with fun mutations too

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

Demonspawn wanderer is the same but with fun mutations too
Pretty much this. Anything you might want Hu for, Ds can do better. (except worshipping good gods, I guess) It turns out that species having unique traits...is good?

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Haifisch posted:

you can do well with bad aptitudes, therefore good aptitudes are unnecessary, therefore good aptitudes should be removed

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's mistaken, minmay is not part of the dev team.

Are minqmay and minmay not the same person? Becaus the former has repeatedly claimed to be a dev, and in any case their feedback is over valued by the devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
Give humans +2 long blades and pointy ears

• Locked thread