Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Jigoku posted:

To the person getting a Moto Z Play, it's pretty great for the price. It wasn't terribly slow or choppy on 6.0, but 7.0 has made animations snappy and helped immensely with RAM management.

Consider getting a 19mm watch screen protector for the camera hump. It scratches very easily. Also, don't get any Moto Mods except for the battery ones or maybe the speaker.

Oh that's good to know. Definitely going in a case, and I doubt she would have any interest in mods. I knew I could count on the helpful Android thread goons :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I have never had BT issues on any device, other than the never ending annoyance of not being allowed to pick which loving media app gets to play when the play button is pressed.

The March security update has changed my 6P's behavior back to launching and playing whatever media app was last used, which is an improvement on "always launch GPM even if PocketCasts is already running" that it had been doing for the last few months.

I fully expect the next update to change it back, though. :(

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Day and a half in with my pixel and I'm in love with the fingerprint unlock, even though from what I understand it isn't the best security wise?

Ignoring that you're "securing" a device covered in the very fingerprints you're using to lock it, cops can compel you to unlock your phone if it's locked using biometric data, whereas the same is not true of a passcode etc. If you're a minority, or going to any protests, or passing through airports, you should not be using fingerprint unlock. Really, in general, you shouldn't be using fingerprint unlock. It's security theater rather than security.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you power off your phone, biometric data can't be used to unlock it.

Let's really not rehash this argument again.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smythe posted:

what? i used the built in migration tool when moving from my nexus 4 to my 6p and it moved all my poo poo across in like 5 seconds. all my pics and texts and poo poo are all automatically synced to the clod anyways. i dont understand.

The Pixel tool is different (and much better) than the old migration tools on past Nexuses but it still doesn't move app data. Apps have to use Google's backup solution (lol) or they just get redownloaded as if they were new. My solution to this was to uninstall everything that didn't use Google's backup solution so I guess works great now!

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's a good overall phone with the best camera around (particularly low-light)? Still Google Pixel?

Yeah still the Pixel. The camera is pretty amazing.

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's the cheapest thing with tolerable performance and good battery life, unlocked?

Moto G4+ until the Moto G5+ comes out.

bull3964 posted:

I've had BT issues though both versions of the N7, N10, Galaxy Nexus, and now Pixel. This has been against cars (two different), two sets of headphones, and a speaker.

Issues that I have had include killing all wifi bandwidth (even when on 5ghz), dropping connection, and delay (leading to lip sync issues with streaming.)

Devices that have not had BT issues, any of my Moto devices.

Seriously I've never had Bluetooth problems on any Nexus (that's One, S, Galaxy, 4, 5, or 6). Just this last Pixel update where it turns off by itself but apart from that they've all been fine. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Day and a half in with my pixel and I'm in love with the fingerprint unlock, even though from what I understand it isn't the best security wise?

Are you the President or some other edge case security issue? If not fingerprint is fine.

Arcanen posted:

Ignoring that you're "securing" a device covered in the very fingerprints you're using to lock it, cops can compel you to unlock your phone if it's locked using biometric data, whereas the same is not true of a passcode etc. If you're a minority, or going to any protests, or passing through airports, you should not be using fingerprint unlock. Really, in general, you shouldn't be using fingerprint unlock. It's security theater rather than security.

:chloe:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arcanen posted:

Oh my god shut up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Android O allows devs to apply custom background colors to notifications but Google is asking that it only be used for critical events that really need to jump out to the user. :allears:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

K posted:

What's the most recent OS I can update my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SPH-L900) up to? There is an app I need to run that accompanies a new device I bought but it's only compatible with Lollipop and up, and I can't upgrade my phone until May (my Note 2 is a backup, as my Note 5 has a busted LCD and it costs more to replace than just waiting it out a couple months).

Can I push past Kitkat without rooting it? If I not, and I do root it, what's recommended in terms of pushing up to the most recent OS in terms of what it can handle from a hardware perspective? Can I get all the way to Nougat or Marshmallow? Feel free to yell at me and send me to the rooted thread, but wanted a more general opinion first.

Search results are terrible so far. Need hlep.

Go dig XDA forums. Some guy had a p good (considering the lovely hardware) 6.0 ROM for my Note, also he made a 7.0 ROM but I never got around to update to it. Ypu just need to learn a bit about janitoring your old shitphone. I wouldn't do it again, but at least it's an experience!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mister Macys posted:

Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > Imagine a 5X Boot-Looping, Forever

Bravo :allears:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Go dig XDA forums. Some guy had a p good (considering the lovely hardware) 6.0 ROM for my Note, also he made a 7.0 ROM but I never got around to update to it. Ypu just need to learn a bit about janitoring your old shitphone. I wouldn't do it again, but at least it's an experience!

This is good advice. Nothing will do more to make you buy good phones than to try to work around the shortcomings of bad ones for a while.

The next phone you buy you'll take long term support into account.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I think this is the right thread. I have an LG V20 and am currently using the LG keyboard but it doesn't do predictive text. Can someone recommend me a better one?

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. I'll take a look. I only need this thing to be stable for two months until I upgrade...

LastInLine posted:

This is good advice. Nothing will do more to make you buy good phones than to try to work around the shortcomings of bad ones for a while.

Well said.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

This is why I got rid of my Nexus 5 not even a month after 5.0 dropped. What a piece of poo poo that became.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MikeJF posted:

Android O allows devs to apply custom background colors to notifications but Google is asking that it only be used for critical events that really need to jump out to the user. :allears:

So all of them, then?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

fyallm posted:

I think this is the right thread. I have an LG V20 and am currently using the LG keyboard but it doesn't do predictive text. Can someone recommend me a better one?

I enjoy the Android keyboard ("Gboard") for swipe input and some predictions, which is what I'd recommend, but there are several that would fit the bill, including SwiftKey

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimper posted:

So all of them, then?

On the upside, your notifications pulldown will double as a gay pride flag.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

This is why I got rid of my Nexus 5 not even a month after 5.0 dropped. What a piece of poo poo that became.

I know this is bait, but I don't know what you're talking about. My Nexus 5 is still going great (though in the service of my dad now) three and a half years after it launched. About the worst thing you could say about the N5 was the fact that the battery just didn't last two years and was a bitch to replace.

At the very least it's trivial to do what K has to do and flash firmware but really by the time the N5 was abandoned it was the first time I could say that stock firmware was actually usable. The KitKat builds on it had some terrible flakiness (December not existing, the camera becoming "disconnected" if Trusted Face was enabled) even if the idle battery performance was on the order of days. The later Lollipop and Marshmallow builds were great.

fyallm posted:

SwiftKey if you like to tap, Swype if you like to swipe, and Gboard if you like both.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

redreader posted:

When are we expecting the moto g5 + ?

B&H has them up saying "coming soon" but according to a poster on the Lenovo forums, the B&H placeholders originally said that they would be available for purchase this Friday.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

SwiftKey if you like to tap, Swype if you like to swipe, and Gboard if you like both.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What are my modern options if I actually like having a gigantor phone (Nexus 6 in this case)? Pretty much just the 6P, right? I know the Pixel XL is smaller (not that I have Pixel money to spend anyway). Are there any other comically overlarge phones in the $400ish range right now?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I know this is bait, but I don't know what you're talking about. My Nexus 5 is still going great (though in the service of my dad now) three and a half years after it launched. About the worst thing you could say about the N5 was the fact that the battery just didn't last two years and was a bitch to replace.

It's honestly one of the worst phones I've used. The camera was bad, battery was bad (not as bad as the Galaxy Nexus though), software was super buggy especially when 5.0 came around. I've never seen more wakelocks than with that phone, even after a reset and being diligent in the apps I got.

Perhaps I had a lemon but there were other phones not long after that were better choices imo. It also made me switch to iPhone for a year when I hadn't kept a phone for more than a month or two.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

What are my modern options if I actually like having a gigantor phone (Nexus 6 in this case)? Pretty much just the 6P, right? I know the Pixel XL is smaller (not that I have Pixel money to spend anyway). Are there any other comically overlarge phones in the $400ish range right now?

I'm almost positive there are gigantic Chinese phones at that price. Probably a OnePlus as well. You're opening yourself up to a host of other problems there (backdoors and malware at worst, buggy software and poo poo customer service at best) but if you just care about bigness, they exist.

There's also a goodphone the Moto G4+, the forthcoming Moto G5+, and of course the Pixel.

Comedy option is the Note7 which quite literally can kill you if you can find one, and of course the next Samsungs which might also kill you and will cost Pixel XL money (and if you had Pixel XL money, get the Pixel XL).

All of that said, the Pixel XL comes with two years of interest-free financing and $325 back if you're on T-Mobile so the Pixel might in fact be a viable option and is the best choice regardless of your size preference.

It's honestly one of the worst phones I've used. The camera was bad, battery was bad (not as bad as the Galaxy Nexus though), software was super buggy especially when 5.0 came around. I've never seen more wakelocks than with that phone, even after a reset and being diligent in the apps I got.

Perhaps I had a lemon but there were other phones not long after that were better choices imo. It also made me switch to iPhone for a year when I hadn't kept a phone for more than a month or two.

I'm sorry you had that experience because wow, my experience was really the polar opposite. It was the best Nexus since the One for me and never gave me even a hint of trouble. I would've kept using the replacement I got after I killed my launch day N5 trying to change the battery for another year if I hadn't seen a Pixel in person. I just loved it.

You are right about the camera though, it was total poo poo. There's something to be said for a great camera (something iPhone users have said since the 4S and something I've never had prior to now). I wouldn't base a phone purchase solely on it, but wow the Pixel camera is revelatory. (Also I know Samsung users had this for a while too and yeah, you guys were right as well.)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 22, 2017

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The GBoard looks like exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Thinking about picking up a Pixel to replace my aging Turbo. Is there any actual difference, e.g. did all the nerd hand wringing about Verizon not pushing updates come to fruition or was that just typical Android Tech Rag nerd angst? I'm not too exited about waiting for the Play Store to get them back in stock.

I have Verizon in case that wasn't clear from the above question, they have it in stock, Google has not for a while.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Thinking about picking up a Pixel to replace my aging Turbo. Is there any actual difference, e.g. did all the nerd hand wringing about Verizon not pushing updates come to fruition or was that just typical Android Tech Rag nerd angst? I'm not too exited about waiting for the Play Store to get them back in stock.

I have Verizon in case that wasn't clear from the above question, they have it in stock, Google has not for a while.

Verizon has not been a factor in updates, get the Pixel. You won't regret it at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The only difference with the Pixel you buy at the Verizon store is the IMEI is marked in a DB as being a Verizon sold Pixel and thus won't allow you to unlock the bootloader. That DB entry also causes the My Verizon app to be installed when you first set it up (but you can later remove it.)

There are no physical or software differences otherwise and updates are still pushed from Google.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

bull3964 posted:

The only difference with the Pixel you buy at the Verizon store is the IMEI is marked in a DB as being a Verizon sold Pixel and thus won't allow you to unlock the bootloader. That DB entry also causes the My Verizon app to be installed when you first set it up (but you can later remove it.)

There are no physical or software differences otherwise and updates are still pushed from Google.
This is... surprisingly good and Apple-like. Nice work Google.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

LastInLine posted:

Yup, almost bricked my old Droid 3 a few times trying to update it. Been on a Nexus ever since. Even the Verizon Galaxy Nexus was an improvement.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SeaborneClink posted:

If you end up biting the bullet, could you comment on how the battery life compares to your Turbo? Mine bit the dust recently, but I've been slumming it on my old GS III. It's fine, but I have to charge the thing 2 or 3 times a day since it's still got the original battery.

I know a Pixel will kick an old GS III's rear end in almost every respect including battery life, but I'm curious how the Pixel's battery stacks up against the 1st Gen Droid Turbo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

This is... surprisingly good and Apple-like. Nice work Google.

Same, I'm impressed since Verizon is usually really creepy around that stuff. Hopefully the Pixel is selling well enough to ensure Google continues to call the shots with carrier sales.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

Not quite true. It does come with a few Verizon apps. But you can easily uninstall them all. Like, actually uninstall, not some janky disable thing that mysteriously turns back on when you look away.

Edit: to be clear, in case that sounded like criticism, I'm extremely happy with my Verizon Pixel. It is identical to any other Pixel, runs great, and gets updates immediately.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The problem wasn't the Phone in particular, it was Android 5.0.

Since it was a Nexus, you got 5.0 pretty much before everybody, and in this case, it wasn't really a good thing.

5.0.1 and 5.1 fixed a lot of the issues, however some of the issues still had to do with updated apps around 5.X since it was starting the change to ART that KK started toying with.

5.X updates weren't the only thing though, OEM's for other devices could release a newer than 5.0 rom, but have the rest of the OS be complete garbage since they never optimized the surrounding baked in apps. (Nvidia Tegra Note for example. 4.4.X runs solid with a few easy to manage bugs. 5.1 update works great for the first 10 minutes then will just hog down the battery and run like a pig until it dies without any ryme or reason. Ugh)

If you had stuck around for a bit, and could have held on past 5 to 6+ then you would have had one solid device since it still is regarded as one of the most popular Nexus devices ever. Really Android 6.0+ seems to have been the first Android OS that feels like they are finally reaching a stable OS level. Sure it still has it's issues to this day, but before KK it was all Beta feeling. 5.0 was the awkward Windows Vista like transition.

The camera was crap though, that nobody will argue against. Nexus cameras only got good with the 5X 6P and the Pixel improved on that with a nice addition of speed.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 22, 2017

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
wrong thread

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

My MXP finally got an update!

...bringing it to 6.0's December security patch.

Still more than I was expecting, I thought they had abandoned this thing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto is actually trying with the Droid Z. They are currently on the Feb patch. They're only lagging by about a month.

And yes, 5.0 suuuuuuucked. It was a terrible terrible release and I can only assume it was the reason why we got the official beta program because it was clear that 5.0 was rushed with too little testing. I think I actually manually rolled back on my N7 until 5.1 came out. It was one of the times where I was glad I was on a phone that didn't get quick updates.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 22, 2017

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

O hai

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/

Notification channels: Android O also introduces notification channels, which are new app-defined categories for notification content. Channels let developers give users fine-grained control over different kinds of notifications — users can block or change the behavior of each channel individually, rather than managing all of the app's notifications together. Android O also adds new visuals and grouping to notifications that make it easier for users to see what's going on when they have an incoming message or are glancing at the notification shade.

Android Police is also reporting that it's now possible to 'snooze' notifications in multiples of 15 minutes.

Google developers tweaking notification system:

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
So I'm on a stock Samsung S7 Edge in Belgium ( G935FXXU1BPJJ ) and I haven't received the Nougat update yet in an over-the-air firmware update, it is taking very long.

I am thinking of flashing/updating it myself but don't want to void warranty, trip knox and I'd still like to get official Over-the-air firmware updates as I used to. Is this possible? I'm unsure and finding contradictory info.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

In most phones flashing a factory image doesn't trip the thing, but Samsung so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Is there a good app that will auto login to public WiFi I've signed into? I'd be willing to buy an app if it worked well since I'm on Fi and it might save me a couple dollars a month.