Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://youtu.be/90OX7x7KeVE

Snippet of the canal fight. I think this is the first we've heard from Clint Mansell's score. Sounds Clint Mansell-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Bugblatter posted:

Snippet of the canal fight. I think this is the first we've heard from Clint Mansell's score. Sounds Clint Mansell-y.

wow, did not like that action. I don't think I'm going to enjoy this anywhere near as much as the '95

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
For comparison:

https://youtu.be/z2mXrndt1ZI?t=281

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2mXrndt1ZI&t=281s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It's really the little things that set it apart. The way the animation makes the water ripples beautiful and peaceful seeming, coupled with the slow music. It's the way the attacks are sort of impressionistic. The way the completely bland big city is contrasted with the lively but dilapidated alley.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

OAquinas posted:

There are white guys in africa. And those who come over to the US would be....african-american.
That the term generally refers to black people with a high degree of accuracy just enables double takes like this.

....doesn't make Raiden's child-soldier WTF backstory any less, uh, WTF-inducing.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/vMEUFhYWZI5pK/giphy.gif

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

It's really the little things that set it apart. ...
Absolutely that.

One more difference that make no sense to not have (except to save :effort:): The acting on the hacked dude. In the animation he shows relief when he thinks he's escaped, and there's a distinct pause of silence, then a grunt of surprise when her steps break it. In the live action version the dude never shows any change of emotion.

It's not a bad scene, just a thoroughly mediocre one that could be improved leaps and bounds with no more effort than cribbing more closely from the original.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Absolutely that.

One more difference that make no sense to not have (except to save :effort:): The acting on the hacked dude. In the animation he shows relief when he thinks he's escaped, and there's a distinct pause of silence, then a grunt of surprise when her steps break it. In the live action version the dude never shows any change of emotion.

It's not a bad scene, just a thoroughly mediocre one that could be improved leaps and bounds with no more effort than cribbing more closely from the original.

There's also the disconnect between his face/voice being that of a garbage truck driver and his moves being that of a trained assassin, which ties in nicely to the film's themes of the increasingly fluid nature of identity.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

For some reason, they forgot to edit the brief moment when she kicks the guy. Her clothes are all black with a weird VFX effect.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

There's also the disconnect between his face/voice being that of a garbage truck driver and his moves being that of a trained assassin, which ties in nicely to the film's themes of the increasingly fluid nature of identity.
Yeah, i didn't quite register that because i was seeing the scene out of context.

There's another difference, though that might possibly be down to editing: In the original she puts him on his back 3 times, and only attacks him after the first two times because he shows he's not stopping, and she does targeted attacks to disable his combat ability. In the remake he is completely and utterly defenseless and she does huge attacks that throw him around but are otherwise pointless and doesn't even give him a chance to give up.

Which in contrast is even more weird because she knows he's not even himself.

Another thing i noticed they changed is the weapon mechanics. In the original he has a bog-standard machine gun and uses high velocity rounds, loving it up in the process, which enables her to get close. In the remake he has a scifi plastic gun and she gets close when he reloads.

ufarn posted:

For some reason, they forgot to edit the brief moment when she kicks the guy. Her clothes are all black with a weird VFX effect.

Yeah, bit of an oversight. Although it still has the blue shimmer:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 22, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, i didn't quite register that because i was seeing the scene out of context.

There's another difference, though that might possibly be down to editing: In the original she puts him on his back 3 times, and only attacks him after the first two times because he shows he's not stopping, and she does targeted attacks to disable his combat ability. In the remake he is completely and utterly defenseless and she does huge attacks that throw him around but are otherwise pointless and doesn't even give him a chance to give up.

Which in contrast is even more weird because she knows he's not even himself.

Another thing i noticed they changed is the weapon mechanics. In the original he has a bog-standard machine gun and uses high velocity rounds, loving it up in the process, which enables her to get close. In the remake he has a scifi plastic gun and she gets close when he reloads.

You're assuming the context of the scene is the same. I doubt it's still a hacked goon who's lost his identity, given how different the rest of the plot is. They're just lifting the iconic set piece and fitting it into their own narrative (Much like Oshii did when he grabbed and recontextualized a bunch of unrelated bits from the comic that he liked, fwiw).

Also, someone else said he was a hacked garbage truck driver, which isn't even the case in the original. He was the hacker who was dictating actions to the garbage truck driver. Neither of the garbage men put up a fight.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

Yeah, the guy isn't attacking or putting up any defense, he's just getting beaten down. The original had him pull a knife.

Also, the most memorable bits of that fight is Kusanagi breaking that dude's hand. It looks like it went into a blender after she got done with it.

Bugblatter posted:

Also, someone else said he was a hacked garbage truck driver, which isn't even the case in the original. He was the hacker who was dictating actions to the garbage truck driver. Neither of the garbage men put up a fight.

Yeah, I think it's a point of contention who Corgi actually was. SMG used a translation that claimed he was a "dealer in questionable goods", hinting he was a drug or weapons dealer, but I recall seeing a translation that had him as a scrap seller, which made him even lower in the criminal totem pole. I think that might be were people confuse him with the garbage man. That and they're both victims of memory hacks.

ufarn posted:

That looks like a 3D overlay for the optical camo effect. It's just that someone forgot to put in the effect.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Doesn't have the same emotional impact without the loving Inception fog horn blaring.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, the guy isn't attacking or putting up any defense, he's just getting beaten down. The original had him pull a knife.

Also, the most memorable bits of that fight is Kusanagi breaking that dude's hand. It looks like it went into a blender after she got done with it.

I feel like it's safe to say the context of GitS17 is that it's someone the major is extremely pissed at on a personal level, not just a target to be captured on the job.

Either that or Scarlett's Major is a bit more prone to flying off the handle.

[qoute]Yeah, I think it's a point of contention who Corgi actually was. SMG used a translation that claimed he was a "dealer in questionable goods", hinting he was a drug or weapons dealer, but I recall seeing a translation that had him as a scrap seller, which made him even lower in the criminal totem pole. I think that might be were people confuse him with the garbage man. That and they're both victims of memory hacks.
[/quote]

I don't believe GitS95 gave any indications as to the character's identity at all, beyond another person hacked and used as a puppet by Project 2501. He's just the guy who's planting the terminal cards, then he goes full Rambo when he sees the garbage truck being pursued. Honestly, I didn't even know he was referred to as Corgi. Where did that name come from?

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013
Extended opening clip is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NgSiGuAq64

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Analytic Engine posted:

The movie looks great precisely because of the VFX and art direction. The card is a synecdoche for the uninterestingness of the story and it hurts to know what could have been with this movie. Yeah Mira -> Motoko is a new twist on GitS, but it's a worn path in modern fiction writing and won't hold a candle to the 30 year old B-plot of Murphy -> Robocop. I say this as a fan of "Perfume", "Dark City", Michele Gondry, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. It's so frustrating to like something with incredible visual style that just doesn't hang together as a multimedia narrative worth telling.

The GitS 2017 experience will be fun and at least inspire the kids entering art school in 2030. "Did you know it was based on a 40-year old manga?"

The transformation of Motoko into Mira is already more interesting than the transformation of Murphy into RoboCop because the villains of the film literally associate 'perfecting' Motoko with making her white. It's a cyberpunk personification of the white devil myth, this Yakub's science where the degeneration of identity into diabolical slavery is inextricable from Western, post-colonially Orientalized, technological utopianism.

Bugblatter posted:

This is a good score (much better than the Steve Aoki scandalization of the '95 film theme), but it's not even the best aspect of the scene itself. Like, basically Sanders is adapting Ghost in the Shell like a weird combination of James Cameron and the Wachowskis, while keeping the highly choreographed action looking bizarre and unconventionally slowly paced. I love the 'angel's wings' of water that spreads out from the guy as Major kicks him ruthlessly. It's good to know that while this protagonist might not make technologically utopian speeches while kicking back drinking brews with Batou, she will still be unambiguously about beating up poors.

This movie is looking pretty loving dope so far.

edit:

I love that the building's distress call and alarm is literally triggered by the A.I. doorman getting merced.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 22, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't mean this to sound snide, but what's the deal with releasing all these clips one week ahead of release? Are the preordered ticket sales bad or something, or is this normal?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Afaik, it's SOP. For the past few years, between all of the trailers and sneak peeks, you can get about 60% of any movie and all of the climatic bits in 2 minute snippets.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Oh hey, turns out that a big reason for the rejiggering of that scene is 3D:

https://twitter.com/GhostInShell/status/841786031074492416

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

K. Waste posted:

The transformation of Motoko into Mira is already more interesting than the transformation of Murphy into RoboCop because the villains of the film literally associate 'perfecting' Motoko with making her white. It's a cyberpunk personification of the white devil myth, this Yakub's science where the degeneration of identity into diabolical slavery is inextricable from Western, post-colonially Orientalized, technological utopianism.
Robocop 87 was the story of capitalists "perfecting" Murphy (a working class laborer) by dehumanize him into a literal tool of oppression. His hand was intentionally destroyed because his ultimate form had no need for mementos of his lesser self. This was a major fear for American auto workers of the time as Japan colonized their industry and the changing economic landscape rendered them interchangeable cogs desperate for work instead of proud alpha-male providers. RC 14 took us 30 years forward in anxieties by letting him keep the flesh for a friendly face and a warm handshake, but rendering him both alienated and powerless. He now serves as a PR tool for the kindness of capitalism and is both physically and mentally outmatched by mass produced robots. At least Motoko and RC 87 were feared and respected as cyborgs capable of more than man and machine alone.

That's a different direction to take the transformation concept and it isn't any less interesting for focusing on class instead of race. Don't you Zizek guys claim it's all the same thing anyway?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did they really dehumanize Murphy into a literal tool of oppression if he was already a cop before that?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I interpret it as another dark joke from Verhoeven. "How could we possibly further dehumanize a white inner-city cyberpunk Detroit cop? Slap his face and brain into walking tank."

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Hopefully we get something like this from those future art school kids:

:nws:
https://vimeo.com/86014703

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I wanna see Robo Cop's bad days where he just gets to sit in police HQ eating apple sauce. Robo Cop would have to beable to poo poo right? I bet he always has the runs!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1F4OduqrtQ

Edit: forgot this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5FO4TQt1E

Good point on the day-to-day stuff. A lot of the fun in SAC was seeing the little details of their universe like Togasa being confused by cyborg food or Batou spending money on weights. And the Saito origin episode like you said which hinges on satellite internet speed in a warzone. "What if we wrote a plot about how Neo can know Kung Fu in 10 seconds but Judo in 5"

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 22, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Analytic Engine posted:

Hopefully we get something like this from those future art school kids:

https://vimeo.com/86014703

Now this is goddamned art.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

That mat or may not be the original suit, owned by an obsessed fan.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/we-talked-to-the-guys-who-made-a-robocop-remake-thats-full-of-exploding-dicks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That's amazing.

quote:

The actors were excited by the exploding dick idea, but when the time came to actually strap a small bomb on top of their genitals, most people became sheepish. Days before the shoot, we blew through a half dozen of our dickstock figuring out a safe charge on a mannequin. And then we tested it on ourselves, so we knew it wasn't dangerous. But there was still a lot of anxiety on set before the first one blew. Once it went off though, everyone was fighting over who got to be the next dick-victim. We didn't have enough to go around, and I think some of the people that turned out for the scene were bummed when their dicks didn't get shot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Analytic Engine posted:

Robocop 87 was the story of capitalists "perfecting" Murphy (a working class laborer) by dehumanize him into a literal tool of oppression. His hand was intentionally destroyed because his ultimate form had no need for mementos of his lesser self. This was a major fear for American auto workers of the time as Japan colonized their industry and the changing economic landscape rendered them interchangeable cogs desperate for work instead of proud alpha-male providers. RC 14 took us 30 years forward in anxieties by letting him keep the flesh for a friendly face and a warm handshake, but rendering him both alienated and powerless. He now serves as a PR tool for the kindness of capitalism and is both physically and mentally outmatched by mass produced robots. At least Motoko and RC 87 were feared and respected as cyborgs capable of more than man and machine alone.

That's a different direction to take the transformation concept and it isn't any less interesting for focusing on class instead of race. Don't you Zizek guys claim it's all the same thing anyway?

Exactly - GitS'17 is a faithful thematic expansion upon the bluesy, robot cop thriller, concerned more with shocking the viewer with imagery of abjection and horrific technological fascism, pervasively juxtaposed with new media urban cityscapes constantly advertising a mythical freedom of the consumer middle class, alienated from massive squaller for the working poor, refugees, and immigrants. RC '14 is a good comparison, because you could say that what's been shown so far depicts a clear hypothetical narrative expanding on the opening of that film, explicitly about imperialist, para-military policing of 'post-colonial' subjects.

But what I see Sanders bringing to it is an ironically 'Disney'-esque toyishness, something more like Baz Luhrmann than Paul Verhoeven.

From the "Water Fight" clip, which apparently isn't even finished effects-wise. But you can already see some of the subtle genius in what's being depicted: Mira's eye within the skyscrapers - allied with the giant projection of the woman taking an ironically similar offensive stance against the merc.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I don't get it. Is this movie out?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

That opening was p cool. The dialogue is a bit exposition heavy for my tastes (I liked how GitS95 just let all the weirdness of the imagery play out and explained it later), but it's not done too terribly and everything regarding visuals and audio is great. Does still feel like a truncated edit though.

I thought the canal fight did a solid job of adapting the weird and cool aspects of the original scene to a more heightened action film tone as well, honestly. Better than SACs more "badass" versions of GitS95's scenes anyway. This film is obviously a different beast from previous incarnations and I'm not expecting a ton, but more of Oshii oddness is coming through than I'd have expected from an action film.

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Neo Rasa posted:

Albert Pyun made an awesome cyberpunk movie called Nemesis that I've talked about a lot in other threads. However, he also made some awful sequels to it, the last of which is a horrendously weird and awful Ghost in the Shell wannabe titled Nemesis IV: Cry of Angels that some here might enjoy as a bizarre, ultra low budget live action riff on the Ghost in the Shell movie that has so much gratuitous nudity it makes any other Ghost in the Shell adaptation seem tame. The entire movie is on YouTube.

Some theaters are still doing limited screenings of the 1995 film if anyone here hasn't seen it, that'd be a great way to.

Neo Rasa posted:

Please please please please watch this film if you haven't yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alkPjVXDWfU

I watched this a couple weeks ago due to some fond memories of catching it on HBO when I was young. Was really surprised to recognize a young Thomas Jane in that bit part. Also I guess at one point it was going to be Megan Ward from PCU as the main character, till they decided to change it to be an Olivier Gruner vehicle. Still pretty entertaining movie for so low budget.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bugblatter posted:

Does still feel like a truncated edit though.

Ghost in the Shell is generally a history of truncating (and heavily altering things from) the original work in many ways. It wasn't until Stand Alone Complex that anything outside of the Manga was actually given time to spread its wings and explore the world the manga did in its own unique way. Arise did some neat stuff, but it went back to feeling extremely truncated, on top of generally failing to sell the core of its plot convincingly, even after a TV edit and a new movie called The New Movie (Jesus Christ).

I'm interested to see the live action movie. I don't expect it to be too much like the other works beyond a heady mixture of visual references from all throughout GitS' history, and that's fine.

GitS is basically at the point where it has crawled up its own rear end in terms of being self-referential and self-reverential. Even when SAC was ostensibly going its own way, it was really more of an expansion of previously mentioned or explored themes in either the movies or the manga. With sometimes markedly less interesting action sequences to replace brilliant ones. Not that any of GitS I've consumed I would consider bad. I love GitS in pretty much all its forms, except that Counter Strike Of Duty F2P clone they made. gently caress that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
They've released a full five minutes from the beginning of the film.amd it's really loving cool.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

fivegears4reverse posted:

Ghost in the Shell is generally a history of truncating (and heavily altering things from) the original work in many ways. It wasn't until Stand Alone Complex that anything outside of the Manga was actually given time to spread its wings and explore the world the manga did in its own unique way. Arise did some neat stuff, but it went back to feeling extremely truncated, on top of generally failing to sell the core of its plot convincingly, even after a TV edit and a new movie called The New Movie (Jesus Christ).

I'm interested to see the live action movie. I don't expect it to be too much like the other works beyond a heady mixture of visual references from all throughout GitS' history, and that's fine.

GitS is basically at the point where it has crawled up its own rear end in terms of being self-referential and self-reverential. Even when SAC was ostensibly going its own way, it was really more of an expansion of previously mentioned or explored themes in either the movies or the manga. With sometimes markedly less interesting action sequences to replace brilliant ones. Not that any of GitS I've consumed I would consider bad. I love GitS in pretty much all its forms, except that Counter Strike Of Duty F2P clone they made. gently caress that.

Heh, I meant it feels like this is an abbreviated cut of the actual film's opening, because the rhythm of a few edits feel odd.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

wow, this is just not going to do it for me at all

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So does female robo cop really need breasts? Couldn't that just been some more inches of robo-steel?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Her hardware is advanced enough so she can have a sex life, so it's probably equal parts of her wanting to have them, and it being easier for her human psyche to live in a body that's shaped as her subconscious expects it to be.

Consider how there's plenty of people around who have a hard time being happy if their biological body doesn't conform to what their mind wants. You can likely expect the same effect much stronger when your body is a machine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mithaldu posted:

Her hardware is advanced enough so she can have a sex life, so it's probably equal parts of her wanting to have them, and it being easier for her human psyche to live in a body that's shaped as her subconscious expects it to be.

Consider how there's plenty of people around who have a hard time being happy if their biological body doesn't conform to what their mind wants. You can likely expect the same effect much stronger when your body is a machine.

This is all correct and is the canonical reason for her body. As she aged she was given progressively older ones that, while very advanced and military grade and whatever, are cosmetically all template "generic Japanese woman __ years old #4562" whatever so that she can still live in regular society and have a life outside of busting heads/killing people.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

OAquinas posted:

There are white guys in africa. And those who come over to the US would be....african-american.
That the term generally refers to black people with a high degree of accuracy just enables double takes like this.

....doesn't make Raiden's child-soldier WTF backstory any less, uh, WTF-inducing.

Liberia has one of the lowest populations of white people in Western Africa and the fact that he was born in the jungle and fought in Charles Taylor's civil war in the 90s along with him getting heavily shat upon for his skin tone hints at him possibly being an albino. It's honestly one of those "huh, okay, weird" things in Metal Gear that was never explained. I doubt Kojima will ever outright say if he's supposed to be strictly white, mixed race or suffering from albinism either. Raiden black, so what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Tenzarin posted:

So does female robo cop really need breasts? Couldn't that just been some more inches of robo-steel?

In the Cassandra Kresnov series by Joel Shepard, the titular character is a super advanced android soldier, and at one point someone asks her why her designers built her with tits and she goes "Maybe they just couldn't stand to see a female humanoid without them," and I rolled my eyes so hard I became a power plant generator for a moment, because it was very clearly the author just saying "I didn't want my hot cyborg protagonist to not have tits okay?"

• Locked thread