Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chilihead posted:

I watched both series and really thought OKC exploited major weaknesses and had the 2 best players. And then they just choked!

OKC would've gone to the finals if Klay didn't hit eleven threes in game six.

Ghost Dog posted:

7th highest usage rate on the celtics his last year...

Two of those guys above him didn't play many minutes. Not that fifth in USG% is that high but he's ~2% USG% from being third.

Intruder posted:

It's so cool that these games are available on Youtube and yet every time I try to watch them my eyes want to jump out of my skull because of how bad broadcast quality was back then. I'm so spoiled by HD

It's also so weird to not see a score ticker

The broadcast quality was better than what those Youtube videos show. Combine bad VHS recording with degradation and possibly a dirty VCR and non-pristine ripping/converting and suddenly it looks really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lakers signed Nwaba to a "multiyear" (only training camp is guaranteed next season is how these contracts usually work) which is nice I guess but he really does prove how useless a defensive point guard is--even a really really good defensive point guard--if he can't contribute offensively or you don't have him next to a generational scorer.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is all a bullshit news story that's a smokescreen for the fact that at least half a dozen teams are tanking worse than anything the Sixers ever did.

Yea, in order for the players sitting out to be consequential I'd say the elite players have to start missing at least 1/3rd of the season. We're not close to that yet. LBJ would have to go AWOL for weeks at a time.

Players missing single games pales in comparison to the strange deals/goings-on between NBA franchises and the shameless tanking and strategies employed by some teams. A yearly veritable elephant in the room. Also, the lottery anomalies over the years. CLE gets the #1 pick three times in a four year span and nobody finds that remarkable. Don't hold your breath for ESPN investigative reporting to tackle that one.

Shear Modulus posted:

The only thing that can make resting players not an obvious decision is smarter scheduling. Don't make the Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, Raptors or other teams in that tier play each other without a day or two of rest.

No way for the schedulers to know that without precognition.

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

When was the last time we were two weeks from the end of the season without a more-or-less clear cut MVP favorite? I am utterly fascinated by this race and I cannot decide who I think will win of Westbrook/Harden/Kawhi/LeBron/Derrick Rose

Rudy Gobert is now #2 in WS. Cue NBA: Where amazing happens music.

The guy who wins MVP usually plays the full season so Harden has that going for him. Only two guys have won NBA MVP while missing more than ten games: 2001 AI and 1978 Bill Walton.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
it's because God Loves Cleveland Now

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zogo posted:

The guy who wins MVP usually plays the full season so Harden has that going for him. Only two guys have won NBA MVP while missing more than ten games: 2001 AI and 1978 Bill Walton.
Man that was a terrible choice.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wait so now LaVar Ball has beef with LeBron? At this rate his poor kid will be dunked into the nether regions

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

patonthebach posted:

He might be "good" but he aint great. Not a starter on most playoff teams. Not a 10+ mil player, etc. No All-Star.

He absolutely is everything but that last part. He is more than good enough to be the fifth best starter on a playoff team.

E; I missed the first thing; I also wouldn't consider him great, but he is solid.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 22, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

See I thought it would be more complicated than that. I guess I somehow didn't realize you were a Bulls fan, your posts rarely focus on them.

Posting "Fred Hoiberg sucks and the Bulls should've kept Thibodeau" every single day would get pretty redundant. The Bulls fans and Chicago media turning on Thibodeau was exceedingly stupid. It was an exact repeat of insane Cubs fans/Chicago media turning on Sosa because the Cubs didn't win it all in 2003 and because Sosa left one game early.

To call myself a Bulls fan in year 2017 would be a stretch. I was once an ardent Bulls supporter but my zealotry has waned in recent years (the post MJ era) after witnessing crazy and nepotistic decisions year in and year out. I don't endorse what this team is doing or how it is run. I'm a Bulls observer...watching in horror each year as new awful decisions are made and wondering when the madness will stop.

As time goes by it seems like the three biggest markets and most valuable teams (Bulls/Lakers/Knicks) are subsidizing the rest of the league. All three teams can make idiotic/nonsensical moves each year and it doesn't matter because they're raking in the $$$.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Man that was a terrible choice.

Should've gone to Shaq.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/844412226186424320

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

patonthebach posted:

Lol @ lopez being a bitch. First punch bullshit. Also thanks for engergizing the raps and making us win? LOL

Please take the time to spell out "at." It's only two letters, and no more keystrokes than "@."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Open Floor guys had an interesting thing on the resting controversy, which, I thought was so insignificant that I didn't even consider it one of the top stories this week, but they pointed out that with the schedule having an extra couple of weeks of padding next year that these situations probably won't come up as much.

I think the idea Doc Rivers had of the teams in the ABC games being promised no game on Friday, no game on Sunday made sense to me too.

E: Some other news and views, Ingram apparently completely rebuilt his entire shooting motion in January, which explains why the three point shooting has been close to respectable since then, and his free throw shooting completely awful. If the season was another month, they'd probably meet in the middle.

Also, the Lakers would've had to give up Russell and Ingram to get Cousins.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 22, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

Also, the Lakers would've had to give up Russell and Ingram to get Cousins.

You gotta think that if the Lakers owned their pick this year that they could have gotten him for Russell OR Ingram plus the pick.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm glad refs were able to step in and curb such heinous behavior in the Raptors Bulls before things escalated.

https://streamable.com/yz3vh

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

I'm glad refs were able to step in and curb such heinous behavior in the Raptors Bulls before things escalated.

lmao what the gently caress

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My only thought is JV said something while pushing, but no idea.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I think if you call an NBA player a bitch on the internet they should get to Jermaine O'Neal falcon punch you.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://twitter.com/Krisplashed/status/844373874972278784

This scuffle has me staying up, posting past my bedtime

lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think if you call an NBA player a bitch on the internet they should get to Jermaine O'Neal falcon punch you.

LeBron is a bitch

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RCarr posted:

LeBron is a bitch

Son, you're dead and you don't even know it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

WhyteRyce posted:

Wait so now LaVar Ball has beef with LeBron? At this rate his poor kid will be dunked into the nether regions
LeBron is doing the thing where if you mention his family in any way, he gets insanely pissed off and says keep my family's names out of your mouth etc. It's the same thing Cousins did when a story mentioned he was at a club with his brother who got arrested. In this case LeBron is reacting to LaVar saying, "It will be hard for LeBron's kids because they won't be as good as him"

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 22, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

LeBron is doing the thing where if you mention his kids in any way, he gets insanely pissed off and says keep my family's names out of your mouth etc. It's the same thing Cousins did when a story mentioned he was at a club with his brother who got arrested. In this case LeBron is reacting to LeVar saying, "It will be hard for LeBron's kids because they won't be as good as him"

Counterpoint, LaVar should probably shut up at some point.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I've recently decided I'm a Tina Ball truther so I definitely don't like LaVar

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Hawks are fortunate they have a run against the dregs of the league soon otherwise they could have been fighting for the eighth seed. What is going on with them?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Very aggravating stat

Anyone have the opposite stat - most games lost after leading by 15 or 20+?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Fast Luck posted:

LeBron is doing the thing where if you mention his family in any way, he gets insanely pissed off and says keep my family's names out of your mouth etc. It's the same thing Cousins did when a story mentioned he was at a club with his brother who got arrested. In this case LeBron is reacting to LaVar saying, "It will be hard for LeBron's kids because they won't be as good as him"

Eh, I wouldn't go this far. His berserk button is when anyone talks about them beyond just what they do in AAU right now, and he always goes with the "they have a shot" answer when people ask about them making it to the league. It's pretty well known that he privately fired warning shots at Calipari and Coach K over the early verbal poo poo they directed at Lebron Jr, and he straight up says he won't let his kids have cell phones because he doesn't want coaches or programs to have any way of getting near them. He's pretty clearly not thrilled about anyone putting pressure on his 12 and 9 year olds to be better than him, and rightfully so given how monstrously lovely the triangle of AAU, HS, and college basketball has gotten to be.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
This is a pretty good quote:

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/844426855793020928

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

“You got LeBron, it’s gonna be so hard for his kids, cause they gonna look at them like ‘you gotta be just like your dad.’ And after a while that pressure starts sitting on you like ‘why do I gotta be like him, why can’t I just be me?’ And then they’re gonna be like ‘aw, you’re soft, you’re not that good.’ Because the expectation is very, very high.

“My sons are good, they’re great,” Ball said. “But let’s say I really excelled in football and made millions of millions of dollars. Do I spent that time with them now? — No, I have to worry about the offseason and I just buy you a trainer and hope that you turn out okay. Whereas the fact that I wasn’t all that, allows me to take the time to make my boys all that

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, I'm starting to turn on Lavar Bell

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let me talk about how I spend more quality time with my kids than another dad in an interview and see how that's taken

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to turn on Lavar Bell

That's disgusting, he's an (unhappily) married man.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dphi posted:

Anyone have the opposite stat - most games lost after leading by 15 or 20+?

Fairly sure its the Timberwolves by a healthy margin.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

RCarr posted:

LeBron is a bitch

I know I give a lot of leeway with stuff like "bitchmade" but I think this goes a little too far into the "casual misogyny" territory.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

He's literally saying that because he never made it in sports he could dedicate his time to making his kids great. So because LeBron gets to spend less time with his kids they won't be as good at basketball?

I don't know fellas but this Lavar Ball guy is quite a character.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

In general don't talk about 12 year olds in terms of their future worth like they are cattle. I think that's a pretty easy rule and Lebron is 100% right to get pissy at Lavar ball trying to compare his college-aged son with a 12 year old.

I mean, forget about the stupid "I'm a better sports father" comparison. I imagine being Lebron means you are making sacrifices, but in particular Lebron seems to go above and beyond trying to give his kids a relatively normal life and seems like a good father. Why you'd take aim at him of all people is pretty dumb.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

I know I give a lot of leeway with stuff like "bitchmade" but I think this goes a little too far into the "casual misogyny" territory.

Really

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hand Knit posted:

Nope, find something else to worry about. Nobody cares if you struggle to deal with the words "bitchmade" and "bitch" when used in regards to gigantic men

Gosh Dangit I'm so proud

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 22, 2017

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Hand Row posted:

Hawks are fortunate they have a run against the dregs of the league soon otherwise they could have been fighting for the eighth seed. What is going on with them?

Millsap and Bazemore are hurt, Bazemore probably until the playoffs.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Away all Goats posted:

I have no idea what happened here but I notice that JV has gone full Gortat.

e: The Lithuanian Hammer

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Hand Knit posted:

please don't ruin a thread that is pretty much perfect. Everyone has their role to play, including the always timely Rcarr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I mean they're not exactly wrong

• Locked thread