Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Piss de Bundy posted:

*bends down, as if im talkig to a 5 year old* hate speech isnt protected speech in many parts of the world, and its bad

you have the right to say whatever you want, but dont be surprised when you get punched for being a nazi

nazis are bad people and they only understand violence

Lol yeah talking down to people like they're children and being an actual fascist by controlling speech and violently oppressing people with different views no matter how retarded works.

Is this some next level hipster irony or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Panzeh posted:

There's good things about canada and good things about america.

I'm sorry but the internet is not a place for balance or reality.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
free speech is good, unless it's fake news.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

How dare you curbing my freedom by denying my need to punch nazis?

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
why do people keep posting twitters of not donald trump??

i have no idea who these people are, and it turns out they're all nobodies anyway

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

USSAr posted:

why do people keep posting twitters of not donald trump??

i have no idea who these people are, and it turns out they're all nobodies anyway

Fine, my two favorite trump tweets:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/377947866641485824

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257552283850653696

Happy?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrower posted:

I'm not sure why every one keeps forgetting that every instance of communism is at least as bad as every instance of fascism.

Fascism and Communism are essentially the same authoritarian governance style when practically applied

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Prorat posted:

Trump made democrats hate Russia
Both parties have hated Russia for a long time, it's just that one party suddenly changed their mind around July. The Dems are holding their opinion.

SickZip posted:

It's real, past the point of no return, and the most any possible administration could do would just shift the timeline be a couple years. billions are probably going to die.

the unraveling of global trade or preemptive mass death are the best possible mitigation strategies and brutal xenophobia the best survival technique once it hits. Trump is the only responsible choice for the environmentalist or person concerned about societal collapse
Hell yeah, death cult, woo! :black101:

Edit - Wrong post, lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Knight posted:

Both parties have hated Russia for a long time, it's just that one party suddenly changed their mind around July. The Dems are holding their opinion.

Are you excluding the president of the previous eight years from this sweeping insight

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 22, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

T.S. Smelliot posted:

What kind of toxic shithole do you live in where you think "collecting rainwater" and "having a bonfire" is some sort of horrible thing that needs to be regulated?

I can't believe "collecting rainwater" was used as some kind of example of hinterland ignorance

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Toadvine posted:

Are you excluding the president of the previous eight years from this sweeping insight
What would that change? I'm talking about the radical shift in self-identified Republicans' favorability of Putin, not politicians. If we're going that way, it seems like Obama's positions on Putin/Russia didn't change his party's opinions, while Republicans were very easily influenced by Trump's.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I've thought Russia was awesome since I was in junior high. Dostoevsky? The ak-47?

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I can't believe "collecting rainwater" was used as some kind of example of hinterland ignorance

I got a free 55 gal drum and a seminar on how to efficiently collect rainwater from my local extension office and was told efficient use of water is cool and good by some nice people with doctorates but what do I know I'm just racist redneck trash lol

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure those rainwater rules are put in place to stop some kind of Mr. Burns giant funnel that hoards all the water for profit

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

T.S. Smelliot posted:

but what do I know I'm just racist redneck trash lol

yeah

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

theperminator posted:

being an actual fascist by controlling speech

It's true, mods are fascists

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Knight posted:

What would that change? I'm talking about the radical shift in self-identified Republicans' favorability of Putin, not politicians. If we're going that way, it seems like Obama's positions on Putin/Russia didn't change his party's opinions, while Republicans were very easily influenced by Trump's.

When you say both parties have hated Russia for a long time it overlooks the past eight years where the sitting democratic president resisted the hawks and opted to try being warm with Russia

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

That's why the hinterland ignorant complain about back where I lived, big brother government using regulations to stop them from ruining the watershed or creating toxic barrels of waste water.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

That's why the hinterland ignorant complain about back where I lived, big brother government using regulations to stop them from ruining the watershed or creating toxic barrels of waste water.

Both sides are right tho I guess, people have every right to complain that they can't collect a rain barrel of water if they're actually coming around enforcing it

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have great news for all you Laboof heads. Shia has a new location for his fantastic "Hewillnotdivideus" "Art" project.
It's in the UK this time. Finally I will be able to sleep at night.
https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/news/2017/03/22/shia-labeouf-he-will-not-divide-us-liverpool/amp/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poetic Justice posted:

The American Revolution was funded by wealthy individuals. The same has been true of many movements for freedom in history. You can’t fight the American elite without serious firepower. They will outspend you and destroy you by any and all means. What ever stupid thing it is you are doing with your life, that is what you should focus on instead :) Trump will make America Great Again, and probably Mars as well. You just have to get over it and accept you were and still are wrong.

Poetic Justice posted:

You've literally been brainwashed via the media and have a cult like mindset

:ironicat:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Toadvine posted:

When you say both parties have hated Russia for a long time it overlooks the past eight years where the sitting democratic president resisted the hawks and opted to try being warm with Russia

I remember the 2012 debates as well as the next guy, but there was that whole annexation of Crimea thing since then that changed circumstances, I think

I mean not to imply that putin was sugar and honey before that but it was a big deal

e: ^^^ tried that a while back, he's impervious, but hopefully it makes you feel better, it did for me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

theperminator posted:

Lol yeah talking down to people like they're children and being an actual fascist by controlling speech and violently oppressing people with different views no matter how retarded works.

Is this some next level hipster irony or what?

lol get a load of this loving idiot too

"trying to stop fascists.... makes you the real fascist?!?!" sure if you're a fuckwit

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Both sides are right tho I guess, people have every right to complain that they can't collect a rain barrel of water if they're actually coming around enforcing it

reminds me of when maryland implemented a "rain tax" typically assessed on property owners based on their impervious square footage

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_tax

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

I think one of the problems with the internet is it's easy to forget people in other parts of the world can't say what they want to say or think what they want to think without fear of violence or retaliation. That is what makes America amazing.

The US is like 23rd on every free speech metric ever concieved. I mean, you do a lot of stuff right, but this chest-thumping "free speech is only free here" spiel is just delusional.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
it's in at least the top 10 in the stuff I've seen

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Krustic posted:

I have great news for all you Laboof heads. Shia has a new location for his fantastic "Hewillnotdivideus" "Art" project.
It's in the UK this time. Finally I will be able to sleep at night.
https://www.google.com/amp/ew.com/news/2017/03/22/shia-labeouf-he-will-not-divide-us-liverpool/amp/

wonder if this one will survive longer than the one in kentucky

y'know, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndCyl3F5PA

4chan found it in like a day, by monitoring airplane contrails in the background and comparing them to flight radars, then by driving around honking horns and listening for the horn-honks to come up on the flag stream

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
4chan sure is cool

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

it's in at least the top 10 in the stuff I've seen

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

4chan found it in like a day, by monitoring airplane contrails in the background and comparing them to flight radars, then by driving around honking horns and listening for the horn-honks to come up on the flag stream

people have said it before but if you could turn autism into electricity 4chan would power the planet for centuries

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oh dang

still that's "press freedom" though which I know is part of the 1st amendment but doesn't really affect me personally you know?

Like for example Germany is higher on that list than the USA but I know for a fact that if you even do a Hitler salute thing there that's grounds for arrest.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

still that's "press freedom" though which I know is part of the 1st amendment but doesn't really affect me personally you know?

Yeah how could press freedom possibly effect you *turns on propaganda news

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

people have said it before but if you could turn autism into electricity 4chan would power the planet for centuries

Just the /pol/ board alone could.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

wonder if this one will survive longer than the one in kentucky

y'know, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndCyl3F5PA

Well moving it to the UK is pretty funny. I can just imagine Shia getting angrier and stomping his feet every time one gets closed down and it makes me laugh. I probably shouldn't be laughing at a person with mental problems but I just can't help it with him.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

But you voted for a person who wants to make an alternative fact state news agency?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It's important to remember that free speech isn't just about getting to say what you want, it's also about being protected from persecution like lawsuits for saying or writing things.Even defamatory things, and even if you have an interest in defaming the object you're writing about.

Libel-lawsuits generally aren't a thing in countries scoring high on the index.

Moridin920 posted:

Like for example Germany is higher on that list than the USA but I know for a fact that if you even do a Hitler salute thing there that's grounds for arrest.

This is a german thing and it's them overcompensating for what other people did during WW2.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 22, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Mordor She Wrote posted:

But you voted for a person who wants to make an alternative fact state news agency?

We already have a bunch

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I get that I just mean like in terms of direct effects on my ability to say things.

As in I can go heil hitler right now and people will think I'm a crazy person and whatnot but I won't get arrested and charged with a criminal offense you know?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

We already have a bunch

are you gonna provide an example or did you mean it like "try CNN :smuggo:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

thathonkey posted:

are you gonna provide an example or did you mean it like "try CNN :smuggo:"

He already went through that a few pages ago over a vague sentence that Fox included that CNN didn't proof of CNN's malicious intent to destroy Trump.

• Locked thread