Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Every piece of the game is hand touched, I don't think Nintendo is going to be making another open world game like this. It must have cost a fortune, have you looked at how long the credits are? Most open world games use procedural generation or copy pasting of areas. The Shrine puzzles alone could be a $50 puzzle game.

I hope they do, but it's going to have to sell a ton of copies to make it worth making another open world game of this scope and polish again.
It basically single-handedly saved the Switch launch so I think it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Stop being an idiot and use your weapons they're tools not living beings.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If the weapons didn't break down then you'd run to Hyrule Castle, grab one of each Royal Guard weapon, then the rest of the game has no challenge and everything dies in one hit. They'd have to rebalance the way the whole game works.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I like the durability system in zelda, it works fine and i have zero issues with it. Then again i am the kind of dipshit who would go into various dark souls 2 threads across the 'net to defended that system both pre and post sotfs patch.

i haven't even found it yet, but i'm assuming the master sword won't break, right? or is like that zora trident.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 22, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My issue with the durability system is that I have an inventory full of 15ish swords, 8 bows, and 6 shields and every time I open a goddamn treasure box I have to drop something on the ground and re-open it. I can not break my poo poo fast enough it seems but maybe it's my fault for aggressively hutning Lynels and having an inventory full of +durability pow 30+ savage lynel bows. Whoops!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You'd think the way mh games sell Nintendo would've made the new game a switch exclusive

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

You'd think the way mh games sell Nintendo would've made the new game a switch exclusive

Look forward to the sequel to MHXX, MHXXX, to be a switch exclusive

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

i haven't even found it yet, but i'm assuming the master sword won't break, right? or is like that zora trident.

I wouldn't know because even though I have it, I'm afraid to use it.

Man, this sure does add tons of fun to this game. :haw:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I like the durability system in zelda, it works fine and i have zero issues with it. Then again i am the kind of dipshit who would go into various dark souls 2 threads across the 'net to defended that system both pre and post sotfs patch.

The Master Sword doesn't break, but rather it has a "charge" tied to it. You can use it for awhile then it runs out of energy and you have to wait like 10 minutes for it to recharge before you can use it again.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Just use it stop being a dumb idiot!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
My advice: if you have an extremely cool weapon you don't want to use, use it on an extremely cool enemy as you'll continue to get extremely cool weapons that are even more cool than the cool weapons you had.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mahoning posted:

How to get over fear: equip weapon and use it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

If the weapons didn't break down then you'd run to Hyrule Castle, grab one of each Royal Guard weapon, then the rest of the game has no challenge and everything dies in one hit. They'd have to rebalance the way the whole game works.

If you can manage to do that then you deserve for the rest of the game to be a cake walk. They wouldn't have to balance poo poo because having OP weapons the whole game would rule. Also those weapons aren't astronomically better than the rest of the game and won't OHKO larger enemies.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jimmy Hats posted:

My issue with the durability system is that I have an inventory full of 15ish swords, 8 bows, and 6 shields and every time I open a goddamn treasure box I have to drop something on the ground and re-open it. I can not break my poo poo fast enough it seems but maybe it's my fault for aggressively hutning Lynels and having an inventory full of +durability pow 30+ savage lynel bows. Whoops!

Yeah, inventory management in this game is not great and I'd wager if it was better you'd see fewer complaints about the durability system.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I agree the menus and inventory are kinda crap.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It basically single-handedly saved the Switch launch so I think it was worth it.

It must have been incredibly expensive they even internally play tested the game start to finish every time the team hit a milestone. The entire staff, every time.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I can't use these elixirs because you can't buy them in the store and I only have 99 of them for this final boss fight

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

s.i.r.e. posted:

If you can manage to do that then you deserve for the rest of the game to be a cake walk. They wouldn't have to balance poo poo because having OP weapons the whole game would rule. Also those weapons aren't astronomically better than the rest of the game and won't OHKO larger enemies.

That's something I really enjoy about the earlier Elder Scrolls games, the Witcher, and the Souls series wherein you can really break things open if you know exactly where and what to do to find a really powerful weapon from the start. Usually there's some kind of big challenge involved in doing it so early but if you're skilled enough then you can play past it and get that prize way earlier. It's fun and rewards skill AND exploration!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If you you are afraid of using weapons in Zelda or are scared of the dock come to Something awful to moan is a good suggestion

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah except there are lots of ways you learn over the course of the game to sneak into the castle without needing to fight anything, which is very cool and they'd need to change that, which is rebalancing the game!!

Trivializing the rewards system they use (maybe you'll find a sweet weapon here if you explore enough! You come across a hard enemy, you get a stronger weapon to use for a while) would radically alter the game. You could change it so you didn't have weapon durability but it would significantly impact every system the game uses and it would require a total rework of nearly every piece.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

My Switch's AC adapter died. At least, I assume it did, because it won't do anything in the dock, and it won't charge my Nexus 5X.

Guess I'm calling up Nintendo today!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Did you try unplugging it for a few minutes? Or plugging it directly into a device and circumventing the dock, in case it's the dock that's broken?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

Counterpoint: restrictions within reason are what make games engaging.

thats not a counterpoint at all. why cant the player choose themselves to use weapons they enjoy instead of being forced to switch around? other games trust that people will probably just try out new stuff out of being curious and then let them use the things they enjoy. i think thats a good system.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you're hording weapons in Zelda then I feel bad for you

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Norns posted:

I agree the menus and inventory are kinda crap.

I don't know exactly how it sorts, but pressing Y on an inventory screen in Zelda will sort the inventory....

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I never had problems with weapon durability, I always had more than enough of everything. The menus were kind of a pain after a while, and the performance desperately needed some more optimization time.

Zelda's not perfect, but it's the best one since LttP. Also I wouldn't argue that it's a 10/10.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Music Theory posted:

Relinquishing your desire to hold on to your cool swords that you never use is the first step on the path to enlightenment.

Breath of the Wild broke me of my stockpiling ways and I Feel Free

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stux posted:

thats not a counterpoint at all. why cant the player choose themselves to use weapons they enjoy instead of being forced to switch around? other games trust that people will probably just try out new stuff out of being curious and then let them use the things they enjoy. i think thats a good system.

People will as a general rule do whatever's most effective, not whatever's most fun for them. If there was no weapon durability, and nothing else changed, I could throw away the weapons after I use them a bit myself, but I wouldn't, and I would have less fun as a result since I'd never switch weapons again.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Policenaut posted:

The Master Sword doesn't break, but rather it has a "charge" tied to it. You can use it for awhile then it runs out of energy and you have to wait like 10 minutes for it to recharge before you can use it again.

i'm okay with that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

CoasterMaster posted:

I don't know exactly how it sorts, but pressing Y on an inventory screen in Zelda will sort the inventory....

I don't understand the sorting at all. Depending on which item you have highlighted when you press Y, it sorts in a different order. Sometimes similar things are grouped together, sometimes not. As far as meals, it inexplicably puts hearts-only items at the beginning EXCEPT for things like seared steaks, baked apples, etc. which it puts at the end.

I'm sure there is some sort of rhyme or reason to it, but it definitely frustrates me sometimes.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Music Theory posted:

Relinquishing your desire to hold on to your cool swords that you never use is the first step on the path to enlightenment.

This is the answer. The game teaches you early that all the weapons are disposable garbage. Don't wait to have fun with your thunder blade, go crack some moblin in the face with it now. You'll get another, better one sooner rather than later anyway.

Once you let go of your desire to hold on to cool weapons, you'll have way more fun USING the cool weapons.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

parallelodad posted:

Did you try unplugging it for a few minutes? Or plugging it directly into a device and circumventing the dock, in case it's the dock that's broken?

I did, yes. Same result, sadly.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
It's bullshit that Tetris doesn't just give me the pieces I want all the time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I don't understand the sorting at all. Depending on which item you have highlighted when you press Y, it sorts in a different order. Sometimes similar things are grouped together, sometimes not. As far as meals, it inexplicably puts hearts-only items at the beginning EXCEPT for things like seared steaks, baked apples, etc. which it puts at the end.

I'm sure there is some sort of rhyme or reason to it, but it definitely frustrates me sometimes.

I don't think it depends on what's highlighted, I believe they'll often have one or two different sorting logics and it switches between them (like for armor, it alternates between sorting by set and sorting by slot). For food I think there's just one sorting, and it puts the pot-cooked meals first and the cooked on the ground meals second.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

Because this game isn't those other games? This game wants you to be able to grab a super awesome weapon and feel really powerful, without then leaving the game broken and forcing you to deliberately gimp yourself if you want everything to not die in one hit.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When my life reaches zero, why can't the game just "pretend" I died and give me the option to just keep going? It's called letting the player have fun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bombadilillo posted:

Now I have an amazing claymore I don't want to use because I might need it later. Actively discouraging me from using my good weapons.

You won't need it later.

This is all there is to it. You won't miss out on anything by using it. By hoarding it, you will miss out on using it to wreck some monster's face.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Scored a pro controller just now on Prime Now in San Diego.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mahoning posted:

There are two ways it'll sort melee weapons, bows, and shields and it'll toggle between those sorts when​ you hit Y. The item you have highlighted doesn't matter.

One sorting method goes by descending magnitude of power, but IIRC always separates melee weapons by 1H/2H/spear first. Bows don't get a similar treatment, though: multishot bows are sorted according to their total power and bows with zoom aren't separated from other types.

The other sorting method is a little harder to pin down but seems to consider the weapon origin. Hylian weapons (traveler, soldier, knight, etc) are followed by the weapons of their friendly neighbors and monster weapons bring up the rear. Melee weapons still get separated by 1H/2H/spear before any sorting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lemming posted:

People will as a general rule do whatever's most effective, not whatever's most fun for them. If there was no weapon durability, and nothing else changed, I could throw away the weapons after I use them a bit myself, but I wouldn't, and I would have less fun as a result since I'd never switch weapons again.

what? youre saying you would do something less fun on purpose knowing youd have less fun? that isnt what most people do sorry, in games like dark souls where you get a bunch of fun and interesting weapons and armor, people play the game like a dress up sim despite the high difficulty seemingly "rewarding" min/max play. its just not an issue and trying to rationalise an unfun and limiting design choice this way is bizarre

• Locked thread