Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Posted that before i knew it was the comic cocreator and not a guy working on the show, my bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

Posted that before i knew it was the comic cocreator and not a guy working on the show, my bad

I almost think you should feel bad for regularly posting in a comic forum and not knowing how Roy Thomas is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The whole quote is a bit better, but he really could have just said the second half and made a perfectly valid point, without, you know... saying the other stuff.

Reasonable, good-faith statements ain't how you get retweets.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

ToastyPotato posted:

The whole quote is a bit better, but he really could have just said the second half and made a perfectly valid point, without, you know... saying the other stuff.

Oh, I agree. You can't go from "Oriental" to "Asian" and just go "meh".

He makes some points I agree mostly, regarding that it's better to make your own stuff or support the stories and characters you like, rather than to change other people's works. If only because that's the philosophy behind the first Marvel characters: "Masks? If I have superpowers and become famous I want people to know it's me!" "Enough with all heroes being adults, what if it was a teenager?" "People hate rich guys who profit from war, so let's see if we can make one they actually like!"

ufarn
May 30, 2009
did marvel use their hand or their fist when they punched themselves in the face

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

I almost think you should feel bad for regularly posting in a comic forum and not knowing how Roy Thomas is.

I'm pretty bad at retaining info on creators

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

You didn't know who Kate Beaton was and you're our mod!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

I think nerds and superhero fans (repeating myself, haha) have low standards as long as they are getting what they want, more superhero fare.

People will still defend Smallville here.

Fans as a whole were never going to totally hate on IF, no matter how bad it was going to turn out. You just have to pick people who you respect to listen to when spending your valuable free time.

It has all my favorite logos.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah X-O! Get back in the shame cage!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yes it's true I didn't know a person involved in webcomics, a medium I don't follow at all so it's not very surprising. Roy Thomas is a pretty legendary creator as far as mainstream comics go. One has an Eisner, one is in the Eisner Hall of Fame.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

New episode of Powerless on Thursday! Unlike Iron Fist there are no asian people in it at all but since no one watches it, no one cares. I read somewhere that Adam West is going to guest star but not in this episode, a later one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vanessa Hudgens is Asian.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Vanessa Hudgens is Asian.

You sure? She didn't do Kung Fu in any of the episodes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

New episode of Powerless on Thursday! Unlike Iron Fist there are no asian people in it at all but since no one watches it, no one cares. I read somewhere that Adam West is going to guest star but not in this episode, a later one.

Danny Pudi.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I forgot this show even existed, after watching the first episode. How many episodes have aired so far? Has it gotten any better from its mediocre start?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Skwirl posted:

Danny Pudi.

Only filthy Monarchists consider people who are ethnically Punjabi from the Indian sub-continent to be Asian.

Freedom loving folk the world round use Asian to refer to people of East Asian descent.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

Klungar posted:

I forgot this show even existed, after watching the first episode. How many episodes have aired so far? Has it gotten any better from its mediocre start?

3 or 4, I kinda liked the one where she starts dating one of Riddler's henchmen.

Oh and a guy puts together a model of WWs invisible jet.

The Fuzzy Hulk fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 22, 2017

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

I'm saddened by the mediocrity of Iron Fist. There are some brief flashes of interesting fight choreography, mostly involving Colleen and the way she wields her sword (also, the butt strike was great, but kind of blink and you'll miss it). There was a lot more potential here and it's a shame they seemed to completely drop the ball. Hopefully, they'll just do Heroes for Hire and fold Luke and Danny into the same show for Season 2. They really hosed up by ignoring the more mystical side of the story in favor of the 'grounded' side.

Also, I think the show works as a meta-commentary on cultural appropriation. Sure, Danny is a white kung-fu dude, but, holy poo poo, he really is the worst Iron Fist ever. White people gently caress everything up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Typo or deliberate? :v:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

AbsolutelySane posted:

I'm saddened by the mediocrity of Iron Fist. There are some brief flashes of interesting fight choreography, mostly involving Colleen and the way she wields her sword (also, the butt strike was great, but kind of blink and you'll miss it). There was a lot more potential here and it's a shame they seemed to completely drop the ball. Hopefully, they'll just do Heroes for Hire and fold Luke and Danny into the same show for Season 2. They really hosed up by ignoring the more mystical side of the story in favor of the 'grounded' side.

Also, I think the show works as a meta-commentary on cultural appropriation. Sure, Danny is a white kung-fu dude, but, holy poo poo, he really is the worst Iron Fist ever. White people gently caress everything up.

"Did he use his hand or his fists?" scene pretty much sums up the whole show...at least to episode 5. I can totally see why critics hated it because episodes 1, 2, and 5 are all horrible (okay, Ward has one scene in episode 5 that is good). 3 and 4 are tolerable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The fight choreography really bogs the whole series down. Danny doesn't seem like someone who has been training for very long, and instead of having the very cliche "look at this fighting expert style on these random idiots" that MA movies have had since like the 60s, we get Danny struggling against random people.

Apparently the guy who plays the Drunken Style fighter auditioned heavily for the role of Danny. Imagine having someone who could actually fight being a kung fu superhero. gently caress.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't understand the excuse of "well its hard to get a stunt double without a costume to hide facial features. Wouldn't that be an incentive to have some type of costume, even a make shift one, so that it is easier for stunt doubles to get in there? Or is there a reason Danny has to have crazy hobo hair? Why couldn't he have shorter hair that could easily be replicated by a wig? Or just do the bald thing?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't understand the excuse of "well its hard to get a stunt double without a costume to hide facial features. Wouldn't that be an incentive to have some type of costume, even a make shift one, so that it is easier for stunt doubles to get in there? Or is there a reason Danny has to have crazy hobo hair? Why couldn't he have shorter hair that could easily be replicated by a wig? Or just do the bald thing?
He's not doing his jumping across rooftops thing yet, which would make it feasible. Hopefully they'll remedy that sooner rather than later so we can see the stuntdude do his thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can decide if this is pathetic excuse making or a legit problem on your own, but if we take him at his word here we can see why the reaction to the IF action has been tepid. If this is true, seems like something that they could correct for next season, if Jones is willing to commit to actually working at it.

I know that Netflix schedules are extremely tight, and they like to keep a lid on casting stuff, so we find out the guy is cast like a month before they start shooting. I don't think Charlie Cox had this problem as much because his stunt double may actually be a clone of his that was raised by Shaolin Monks (and also the mask stuff). But seriously, the difference between Cox and his stunt double is almost non-existent, to the point where you start to question if Charlie actually learned to do backflip kicks. JJ and Cage didn't have this problem because they are just brawlers who rely on overpowering strength to gently caress poo poo up.

Of course Finn Jones has been making a lot of excuses/vigorously defending the show so I'd understand not believing him with regards to the schedule demands. Defenders has already wrapped shooting, if we see a marked improvement in Kung Fu Action there I think we can be more optimistic about the quality of IF season 2.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Imagine a world where there are actors that already have martial arts training. Imagine a world where martial arts scenes have been filmed that don't require masks to hide stunt doubles. Imagine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can imagine the insurance on that too

I bet the studios can as well

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The actors being trained doesn't change the crappy fight choreography where Danny is always being hit.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

I can imagine the insurance on that too

I bet the studios can as well

You realize actors who know martial arts are hired for that skill all the time right? Iron Fist even had one (as a villain character) and he even auditioned for Danny Rand!

There is a difference between using stunt doubles to take the rough bumps and do crazy stuff, and having an actor that can do basic stuff on camera without looking like an amateur.

Seriously, many actors specifically list any stage fight training they have on the back of their head shots because it is important, marketable skill. Stage fighting and stunts have overlap, but are not the same exact thing.

Aphrodite posted:

The actors being trained doesn't change the crappy fight choreography where Danny is always being hit.

True, but I imagine fight choreography is going to be dependent upon what you are working with. And if your lead is super lightly trained and producers are making excuses for stunt acting, then you are probably going to end up with underwhelming looking fights.

Edit:

To nip this in the bud, there are a couple of reasons you need doubles for fight scenes:

1. The character needs to be hit with a prop, and/or be thrown around, knocked down, etc.
2. The actor cannot physically do the thing you want them to do, like some crazy spinning jump kick flip or something.

Of course, there are some less desirable reasons to need doubles as well.

-The actor is so poorly trained/capable, that you must choose between weird, awkward fights, tons of rapid edits to cover it up, putting in a double to handle the nice stuff (which sucks because now you have to shoot around their face), or toning down your fights so you need fewer cuts and less double work.

-The actor refuses to do physical work.

Regular fight scene choreography really is basically just fancy, aggressive dancing. Form and memorization are key. There isn't much danger involved in it unless people don't know what they are doing.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 22, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Chloe Bennett is a good example of an actor turning it around with respect to action acting. She looks fairly bad early off and she's clearly being replaced by doubles in most of the fights, then you can see her get more and more incorporated into the fights, and then you have that one Kevin Tancharoen directed "single take" scene where she goes full John Wick in that lab and you're like "Whoa, I now officially buy Daisy as a badass".

Kevin Tancharoen needs to direct way more stuff. If you're ever watching an AoS and are like, goddamn the fight scenes in this were amazing, odds are it's one of his eps.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

I think Chloe Bennett is a good example of an actor turning it around with respect to action acting. She looks fairly bad early off and she's clearly being replaced by doubles in most of the fights, then you can see her get more and more incorporated into the fights, and then you have that one Kevin Tancharoen directed "single take" scene where she goes full John Wick in that lab and you're like "Whoa, I now officially buy Daisy as a badass".

Kevin Tancharoen needs to direct way more stuff. If you're ever watching an AoS and are like, goddamn the fight scenes in this were amazing, odds are it's one of his eps.

Yeah, she isn't doing martial arts or some poo poo but she clearly can do some basic stunts and takes a lot of that work for herself even though she probably could pass it off to a stunt double.

It's just so odd that Marvel has people that know how to do stunts in the TV side in AOS and Daredevil but for some reason, those people weren't utilized here.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Did he do the May vs May fight?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Did he do the May vs May fight?

Yeah.

Also I just looked at his imdb and he did in fact direct an episode of Iron Fist, episode 8, the Blessing of Many Fractures. Was that a good action one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think there's only one fight in that one, but it's the best one in the show probably.

It's the one with the guy Toasty is talking about here though:

ToastyPotato posted:

The fight choreography really bogs the whole series down. Danny doesn't seem like someone who has been training for very long, and instead of having the very cliche "look at this fighting expert style on these random idiots" that MA movies have had since like the 60s, we get Danny struggling against random people.

Apparently the guy who plays the Drunken Style fighter auditioned heavily for the role of Danny. Imagine having someone who could actually fight being a kung fu superhero. gently caress.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ToastyPotato posted:

Imagine a world where there are actors that already have martial arts training. Imagine a world where martial arts scenes have been filmed that don't require masks to hide stunt doubles. Imagine.

Friend let me tell you about the orient....

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I wonder if there is any buyer's remorse now that one of the most memorable fights in the series features the dude they passed up to play Danny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I wonder if there is any buyer's remorse now that one of the most memorable fights in the series features the dude they passed up to play Danny.

Defenders has already been shot, hasn't it? Too bad, it'd be hilarious if they just slid him into the role with zero explanation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Skwirl posted:

Defenders has already been shot, hasn't it? Too bad, it'd be hilarious if they just slid him into the role with zero explanation.

It's called Ruffaloing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Aka The Cheadle

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

I think I read that Scott Glenn is actually one of the better legit martial artists in the Netflix Marvel shows and that dude's pushing 80.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's called Ruffaloing.

site posted:

Aka The Cheadle

I just think it'd be especially great if they did that with an Asian actor replacing a white one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just have the new actor punch him in the heart and gain his power in the cold open