Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015
this situation has come up where ive found the ideal job for me but they want 5 years of experience and i only have almost 1, theres always a catch lol!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

toadoftoadhall posted:

this situation has come up where ive found the ideal job for me but they want 5 years of experience and i only have almost 1, theres always a catch lol!

job specs are bullshit. if you can do the job then go for it

toadoftoadhall
Feb 27, 2015

The Management posted:

job specs are bullshit. if you can do the job then go for it

i can do 1/5 of it but i want *all* the money lol!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

toadoftoadhall posted:

i can do 1/5 of it but i want *all* the money lol!

same. this job search is showing me that I can be getting a pretty big bump in compensation.

unless I'm an idiot and go to a startup, which I might do.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is the most chill and friendly thread. everyone just wants to help everyone dominate

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

this is the most chill and friendly thread. everyone just wants to help everyone dominate

please keep your weird s&m fetishes out of this thread, thank

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

i just want everyone to earn that scrilla

even if that means facing some harsh personal truths about height and/or bellybutton depth

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I resigned on Friday the 10th and got a formal offer for a bit more than I was making a week later. still interviewing though, obvs, but I'll probably end up there

this must be a symptom of full employment in this industry, right? going from one six figure job to another in a week (or less depending on how you count) is an outlier, right?

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

gonna continue reading this thread as it progresses so I can feel worse about my employment.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call on my office phone yesterday from a recruiter. I told them if they were dumb enough to call me on my office phone while I am at work, they were too dumb for me to want to work with.

How stupid do you have to be to try and pull poo poo like that?
i got one of those too, along with one to my work email. it just seems like a bad idea.

in other news, i had an initial phone screen last week with amazon that went pretty well, but i have not heard good things about working there. at the very least, it was some interview practice i guess.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a good ba can make most dev work trivial but lol if you think your lovely company is getting good ones

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

more figgies for everyone and better jobs, too.

Munkeymon posted:

this must be a symptom of full employment in this industry, right? going from one six figure job to another in a week (or less depending on how you count) is an outlier, right?

the tech sector is definitely at a peak right now. It's the hottest market since the first dotcom bubble. I might be biased because the embedded world in particular is seeing more investment and more opportunities than ever before, but my feeling is that salaries are way up everywhere because demand is outstripping supply.

yesterday I gave a recruiter a ridiculously high number and he didn't even flinch.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

the tech sector is definitely at a peak right now. It's the hottest market since the first dotcom bubble. I might be biased because the embedded world in particular is seeing more investment and more opportunities than ever before, but my feeling is that salaries are way up everywhere because demand is outstripping supply.

inflation-adjusted wages are still much lower than the first dotcom bubble

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i just want everyone to earn that scrilla

even if that means facing some harsh personal truths about height and/or bellybutton depth

i have an outie

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
everybody else here free as a bird and not shackled to their current job by green card processing and i'm over here waking up every morning to the sweet dulcet sounds of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgwLKRPQF8

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

inflation-adjusted wages are still much lower than the first dotcom bubble

the first dotcom bubble only lasted like 2 years, the whole game was starting to melt down well before 9/11

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ratbert90 posted:

I got a call on my office phone yesterday from a recruiter. I told them if they were dumb enough to call me on my office phone while I am at work, they were too dumb for me to want to work with.

same except when i pointed out that he was calling my work number and i asked where he'd gotten it from there was genuine confusion about how to answer, so he just repeatedly told me that it wasnt a problem calling me at work.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I get some scumbags doing this every once in a while. all it tells me is that they found me on LinkedIn but haven't paid for a recruiter access to send me email so they call my company directory and ask for me by name.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

That was a p dumb response seeing as programmers don't work with the recruiters who find them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

That was a p dumb response seeing as programmers don't work with the recruiters who find them

I also don't want recruiters dumb enough to think it's ok to call me at work. gently caress them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Gazpacho posted:

stupid recruiters is how you end up with people submitting your resume to your current boss, offering you up for jobs you're way overqualified for, or sending you in for interviews for jobs that have nothing to do with your profile

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

everybody else here free as a bird and not shackled to their current job by green card processing and i'm over here waking up every morning to the sweet dulcet sounds of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTgwLKRPQF8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYPokP6Wl_c

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

second interview I lined up didn't generate an offer

the world is back to normal

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I got my rear end kicked around a bit last night by an iOS pre-interview coding challenge, diving back into it again tonight.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hi pls don't copy/paste from gray tyvm

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
My bad, I'll keep it YOSPOS in here.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so apparently I was meant to give my cv to mate to hand to interview team rather than apply online which I didnt know and online application was rejected faster than.. idk cant think of anything witty. welp

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

holy poo poo I just got 4 calls in the last half hour for the same job [the job is for walmart]

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

qirex posted:

holy poo poo I just got 4 calls in the last half hour for the same job [the job is for walmart]

congrats on ur new job

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

echinopsis posted:

so apparently I was meant to give my cv to mate to hand to interview team rather than apply online which I didnt know and online application was rejected faster than.. idk cant think of anything witty. welp

oof newbie mistake but probably won't matter

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i ended up taking that recruiters call and it turns out that my former coworker had started there and been super promoted to running an entire division and specifically put me in the system to recruit.

then friday I went in and had lunch with him and in 30m i have a call with his employee / my potential boss!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

Walmart corporate is supposedly very good to work. they're basically a big data and logistics tech company. at least that's the rumor.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

The Management posted:

Walmart corporate is supposedly very good to work. they're basically a big data and logistics tech company. at least that's the rumor.

a buddy of mine went to Walmart corporate 8 years ago as a project manager of some kind. he had nothing but good to say about them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

one of our own yosposters would disagree with that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
just came out of the interview. holy poo poo, I can't talk for several hours at a time. I'd rather to problems on the board than talk the whole time. I'm exhausted

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also lol Facebook got back to me two months after I submitted an application

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

I know a crapload of people who used to work there, their average tenure in ux seems to be under 2 years

The Management posted:

also lol Facebook got back to me two months after I submitted an application

me too [it was to reject me]

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

just came out of the interview. holy poo poo, I can't talk for several hours at a time. I'd rather to problems on the board than talk the whole time. I'm exhausted

I had one that was 5.5 hours total last week. An hour of white boarding. No lunch.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

okay so my interview went well and now they want me to do some homework? write an ASP MVC website project that does X, Y, and Z

I guess this means I'm close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay so my interview went well and now they want me to do some homework? write an ASP MVC website project that does X, Y, and Z

I guess this means I'm close

should be; if you're lucky they do the code assignment instead of whiteboarding so the on site will mostly be culture fit shenanigans and maybe talk about the assignment.

if you're unlucky, you'll not hear about it again and instead need to do a bunch of CS trivia that hopefully you've seen before.

• Locked thread