Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
And they're calling a notebook a "note" for some reason

on the other hand deliberately choosing to make their movie look and sound like a lovely dub is inspired in a roundabout way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The trailer had the main character being chased by the cops and there's a loving helicopter crashing into the ferris wheel for gently caress's sake. You know, the psychological games that made the series loving good? Also, can't forget that the main character was an honor student who wore a suit and saw himself as divine, while the deep down dark side of his character is a big part of what made the story. So Willem Defoe being Ryuk (the demon) isn't enough to give a pass for how this depiction has a main character who looks like an emo kid.

I don't give a poo poo about the race of the characters, but really, this just reeks of lazy youtube style fanfic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Source your quotes

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
o noooo not exciting things in a movie lol

air-
Sep 24, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Source your quotes

I just want the potato chip scene ok

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
LOL people still get pissy if their loving anime movie* doesn't strictly adhere to the source material?

*60 second teaser for an as of yet unseen anime movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Human Tornada posted:

LOL people still get pissy if their loving anime movie* doesn't strictly adhere to the source material?

*60 second teaser for an anime movie

if it were a good series that would be one thing. but it's Death Note

i'm approaching this the same way I approach Bryan Fuller adapting American Gods; the more liberties they take the better

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Solid recommendation for the 2015 French movie Evolution - you will not be disappointed. Go in as blind as possible

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I feel like I always post about Rifftrax but I just found out that No Retreat, No Surrender Rifftrax is on Prime. Such a bad/good movie.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Chapelle definitely has not lost his touch, the netflix specials are hilarious.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if it were a good series that would be one thing. but it's Death Note

i'm approaching this the same way I approach Bryan Fuller adapting American Gods; the more liberties they take the better

Death Note has a great first 1/3rd that promptly tilts right off the rails after. I'm looking forwards to what Wingard can do with it, as the shorter run time of a film should force him to cut the bullshit cruft of the manga.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Death Note has a great first 1/3rd that promptly tilts right off the rails after. I'm looking forwards to what Wingard can do with it, as the shorter run time of a film should force him to cut the bullshit cruft of the manga.

This was how I felt about Death Note, one of the very few animes I've enjoyed and can almost admit to watching. It does take a nosedive 1/3rd of the way through though. I think like all animes, the anime outpaced the manga and so the producers started throwing poo poo on a whiteboard and seeing what stuck? I could be wrong. The concept was neat though. And I'm torn because I normally hate when something I loved in one media form is taken and warped for the whims of out-of-touch studio execs, but in this case it's anime. Also it's crossing cultural barriers from Japanese to American cultures, which is as good excuse as any. Not even similar-culture media such as TV series (The Office, Shameless, etc.) are exempt from having sweeping changes after keeping the core concept, so why do anime fans think they're any better?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does the new MST3K have any involvement from the original people?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

tweet my meat posted:

Chapelle definitely has not lost his touch, the netflix specials are hilarious.

The OJ Simpson thing is a great example of how Chappelle can take things that aren't funny on paper and make them funny.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Does the new MST3K have any involvement from the original people?

Joel Hodgson did everything to make it, pretty much. All of the old performers minus Frank and Trace and Mike are supposed to do cameos.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jack Gladney posted:

Joel Hodgson did everything to make it, pretty much. All of the old performers minus Frank and Trace and Mike are supposed to do cameos.

Also old cast does some writing duties for quite a few episodes as well.
Also
Train
To
Busan!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Pandora was a pretty slick, enjoyable disaster flick.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Death Note is directed by Adam Wingard for some reason, so I'm in.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Korea just seems to be a bottomless well of good movies on netflix. My latest watch is The Wailing which is a supernatural mystery horror movie. It's an incredibly dense plot with a lot of twists and turns but manages to tie everything together really well. It's 2 and a half hours and a very slow burner, so it's not exactly a small time and attention investment, but it's definitely worth it if you're into that sort of thing.

The Wailing, The Tiger, Pandora, and Train to Busan were all amazing movies, but I kinda wish they would put the other train movie back up because I really wanna rewatch it now that I'm on a korean movie kick.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I loved The Wailing, but I really disliked the ending because it just fell flat. It's great fodder for discussion, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really enjoyed the ending personally and thought it ended the movie on a really strong note. I definitely had to google a few plot breakdowns to really get a grasp on the bigger picture though.

what was it you disliked about the ending? I thought the whole good spirit vs evil spirit thing, the Christian themes, and the reveal that the shaman was in cahoots with the devil was really well handled and still felt satisfying even though it ended on a really dark note with the whole family dying. If anything I'd say the start was a lot weaker since the investigation was frustratingly poorly handled, only really salvaged by the humorous scenes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Jim Jarmusch’s Gimme Danger has been added to Prime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fgiW_S2Hgk

https://www.amazon.com/Gimme-Danger-Iggy-Pop/dp/B01LYRDGU4

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Nthing the Chappelle specials. Dude's still got it. There's supposed to be a third one coming this year.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I really enjoyed most of the Chappelle Texas special but some of the material felt like.. yeah, dude has been a hermit since 2004, "tranny" jokes don't play that well anymore.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

tweet my meat posted:

I really enjoyed the ending personally and thought it ended the movie on a really strong note. I definitely had to google a few plot breakdowns to really get a grasp on the bigger picture though.

what was it you disliked about the ending? I thought the whole good spirit vs evil spirit thing, the Christian themes, and the reveal that the shaman was in cahoots with the devil was really well handled and still felt satisfying even though it ended on a really dark note with the whole family dying. If anything I'd say the start was a lot weaker since the investigation was frustratingly poorly handled, only really salvaged by the humorous scenes.

Any chance you still have the links to these plot breakdowns? I feel like they might help me appreciate the ending better. It just felt like a tonal shift, kinda off-kilter and I thought it didn't fit the movie. If the movie simply ended with the entire family dead, just on that beat instead of showing the immediate aftermath, I think that it probably would have gone over better with me. The investigation being poorly handled added to the movie, as it really painted the police as being incompetent and gives rationale to the chaotic decisions they make later in the movie. They don't know what the hell they're doing, so their panic really escalates the longer the movie goes on. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

my summer at fat camp posted:

I really enjoyed most of the Chappelle Texas special but some of the material felt like.. yeah, dude has been a hermit since 2004, "tranny" jokes don't play that well anymore.

Yeah, some of my friends were telling me this. Very disappointing, but I will watch them anyway when I get a chance.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

If you watched the chapelle specials and thought he was making "tranny" jokes then u dum

air-
Sep 24, 2007

The Austin stop was overall stronger than the LA one and it felt closer to classic Chappelle. And I loved seeing the disgusted look on audience faces when he's doing mundane material. Gonna try and cop tickets to see him next week.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mr. F! posted:

If you watched the chapelle specials and thought he was making "tranny" jokes then u dum

The punchline of that entire story was "HER dick is out :c00lbert:"

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. F! posted:

I guess I'm not sure what it would take if the stuff he was talking about doesn't count.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

His joke was that their priority was that he call their sick friend who was oding or whatever by the correct gender pronoun, rather than worrying about how sick their friend was and getting that sick friend help.

This thread is probably not the best place to have this discussion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I have never clicked PLAY NOW so fast in my life

Somewhat related, Prime also has the excellent Rolling Stones doc Crossfire Hurricane

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Wailing honestly might have made it into my personal top 10 list for my best movies of 2016, American movies included.

rngd in the womb posted:

Any chance you still have the links to these plot breakdowns? I feel like they might help me appreciate the ending better. It just felt like a tonal shift, kinda off-kilter and I thought it didn't fit the movie. If the movie simply ended with the entire family dead, just on that beat instead of showing the immediate aftermath, I think that it probably would have gone over better with me. The investigation being poorly handled added to the movie, as it really painted the police as being incompetent and gives rationale to the chaotic decisions they make later in the movie. They don't know what the hell they're doing, so their panic really escalates the longer the movie goes on. I guess it's a matter of perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798
http://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/57336/the-ending-of-the-wailing-2016
This is a pretty great basic breakdown of the plot, and this stack exchange thread goes into a lot of the Christian themes and while I didn't think all of the theories were spot on, there was definitely a lot there that I didn't notice and it really got me thinking about it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yesssss I was hoping this would get picked up soon.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

30 Rock: Almost done with season 1. Alex Baldwin is a lot more friendly than I always thought about the show. I assumed he wasn't like a villain, but basically the ceo antagonist guy that stops the fun. He's way more connected to the rest of them than I imagined.

I also don't know why Judah Freidlander gets put in the opening credits but is a side character who probably has less lines than the black nerd writer and he isn't in them.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

30 Rock: Almost done with season 1. Alex Baldwin is a lot more friendly than I always thought about the show. I assumed he wasn't like a villain, but basically the ceo antagonist guy that stops the fun. He's way more connected to the rest of them than I imagined.

I also don't know why Judah Freidlander gets put in the opening credits but is a side character who probably has less lines than the black nerd writer and he isn't in them.

Cause Judah had done like 20 movies before he joined the cast of 30 rock.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really enjoyed the Dave Chappelle double special.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I need to finish 30 Rock. The recurring joke about Kenneth is super subtle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Detective No. 27 posted:

He has a great ending too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, Kenneth is great. And the Leap Day episode might be one of the best one offs. How many shows can pull Jim Carrey for a tiny throwaway gag like that? The star power in 30 Rock is insane.

It really needs a comeback now that Trump is in office.