Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Crazy idea time: politicians' investment properties should be treated the same as shares, ie they can't be actively investing in them while in partliament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Doesn't pass the pub test Mr Speaker

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mr Chips posted:

Crazy idea time: politicians' investment properties should be treated the same as shares, ie they can't be actively investing in them while in partliament.

I thought you could buy shares as long as you weren't the minister for shares.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

I thought you could buy shares as long as you weren't the minister for shares.

You can only buy shares while riding in a govt car to a party meeting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Can I still buy a block of investment flats in Redfern so long as I have donned a hivis and am walking the floor of a warehouse or construction site?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Amazon feedback does this for the things I buy (usually electronics/computer related).

Yes, but if you go into a shop and say "does product X do this specific action" and the person serving you says "yes" and then you get home and find out it doesnt do that specific action, you can take it back and get your money back. Cant do that with just reading amazon reviews, which are also very easy to fake.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Here I made this to help some of you understand the PHON > ALP > LNP preference flow:

I approve of your intention and love Venn diagrams but they don't work for everything.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Looks like Bernghazi is walking the walk of being a MGTOW

https://twitter.com/murpharoo/status/844458018737733633

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hopefully Amazon AU will muscle package delivery guys into actually delivering packages instead of just dropping postal notification cards.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Or just losing your packages (two of mine this month have disappeared off the face of the earth :argh:)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

iajanus posted:

Or just losing your packages (two of mine this month have disappeared off the face of the earth :argh:)

I have had 2 fitbit bands stuck in customs for nearly two months now.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
https://twitter.com/rpy/status/844421759856201728

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have had 2 fitbit bands stuck in customs for nearly two months now.

My lost packages were being shipped from Brisbane to Beenleigh :v:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/australian/status/844485731124887553
https://twitter.com/tfswebb/status/844486774500085760

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://twitter.com/rpy/status/844338998923354113

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Terminal cancer and unable to work? gently caress you buddy, get a job or die. A Centrelink tale

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

lmao

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well, the Libs "sticking their company tax right up their own arsehole" would probably mark the first occasion that they've actually taken expert advice.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
what a conga-line of suckholes

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Lol this government has accomplished nothing except the ABCC which nobody gives a poo poo about.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

bigis posted:

Lol this government has accomplished nothing except the ABCC which nobody gives a poo poo about.

About time those lefties at auntie had their funding cut, well done Malcolm

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bigis posted:

Yeah about that...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...322-gv3oq5.html

quote:

The federal government's building watchdog cut a deal to keep a disgraced former union official out of jail in return for testifying against his former colleagues, the Federal Court has found.

Seven of Canberra's top CFMEU officials could have been hit with fines of more than $1 million over the allegations of breaking industrial laws in a case which relied heavily on the word of convicted blackmailer Halafihi Kimonu Kivalu.

But the Australian Building and Construction Commission's case against seven members of the union's ACT branch has failed with the evidence of Mr Kivalu deemed, by Federal Court Judge Geoffrey Flick, too unreliable.

Hey that name seems familiar,

quote:

Nearly two years since the Royal Commission into union corruption hearings came to Canberra in a blaze of publicity, there has only been one conviction as a result of allegations aired in the proceedings; that of Mr Kivalu who was given a suspended jail sentence in June 2016 after pleading guilty to blackmail charges.

GG Malcolm. G fuckin G.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Bogan King posted:

Queensland does something right? What is this world coming to?

Time to lift your game SA, you're meant to be the progressive state or some poo poo.

SA is awaiting a law review on changes to provocation laws to remove the gay panic defense without accidentally also removing legal defences for victims of domestic violence.

Game lifted, just doing their due diligence.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A seriously disabled man in Tasmania had a lounge put on top of him by support workers who were trying to restrain him.

Key points:Theo Langmaid had lounge put on top of him by support workers trying to restrain him
He was also pushed into a pool to calm him down and locked outside in courtyard
Mother Joyce Langmaid has made an official complaint

He was also regularly locked outside in a courtyard and was once pushed into a pool in an effort to calm him down.

Theo Langmaid, 26, acquired a brain injury after contracting meningitis as a four-month-old and requires around-the-clock care.

While in the care of North West Residential Support Services his parents became concerned about how he was being treated.

"I'd go and say, 'What's going on? What are you doing?'" his mother Joyce Langmaid told 7.30.

"He's black and blue, he's got bruises up his arms, permanent hold marks under his arms."

Mrs Langmaid was eventually told staff at the house where her son was living had started using "restrictive practices" to control Mr Langmaid when he was agitated.

One or two staff members would wrestle him to the ground and hold him there, which went against the plans that were in place for his care.

Once when Mr Langmaid's grandmother visited him she found him locked outside in the rain.

"You don't treat somebody like that. That's not how we treat ourselves, it's not how we treat our disabled," Ms Langmaid.

'This is horror story stuff'

The Langmaids pushed for the Tasmania's Disability Assessment and Advisory Team to review what was happening and its report from 2013 recommended that alternatives to "restrictive practices" be found.

"Some workers will 'assist Theo to the ground' immediately upon him hitting his own head or becoming loud, where other workers seem to be able to reassure him and divert him," it read.

It also mentioned an occasion where Mr Langmaid was pushed into a pool and held there in an attempt to calm him down.

It acknowledged some workers were afraid because of previous staff injuries.

"It is important to remember staff are reacting to the outburst behaviours, and given Theo's strength are attempting to keep both him and themselves safe," it said.

"However, all such incidents need to be reported ... and other strategies used."

A year after the review, an incident report detailed how two staff members put a lounge on top of Mr Langmaid to restrain him after he became agitated and cut himself while lashing out.

"As a mum you read that, and quite frankly no-one should have to read that, and think that's what people think their son is worth," Mrs Langmaid said.

"In this day and age to have your son locked down in a courtyard and taken down and furniture thrown on him and thrown in pools — I'm sorry, we're in the 2000s, this is horror story stuff."

Ms Langmaid said her son could be violent when he became agitated and had injured staff, but she said his behaviour became worse while he was being manhandled.

"There's a lot of ways you can make it easier and one of the ways is treating him like he's a human being," she said.

'Concerns were taken seriously'

After North West Residential Support Services decided to stop seeing Mr Langmaid, a review conducted by the Department of Health and Human Services found issues with staff training and that incident reporting was ad hoc.

Following the review, Mrs Langmaid made a complaint that an official allegation of abuse form was not filed by the department.

The department found staff acted appropriately, but that while the Langmaids did not use the "language of reporting of abuse" the concerns they raised were as serious as a formal abuse complaint.

"These concerns were taken seriously by [the department] and followed up," it read.

"It is my view, however, that the follow-up that occurred and the outcomes from that were not communicated clearly back to Mrs Langmaid."

Mrs Langmaid has now made an official complaint about what happened to her son.

North West Residential Support Services is investigating the complaint and would not comment on the matter until that investigation was complete.

A spokeswoman for Tasmanian Human Services Minister Jacquie Petrusma said what happened to Mr Langmaid was not abuse because restrictive practices are allowed if staff feel they or the client are in danger.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

4 dead, including 1 cop. 20 injured in attack on UK parliament. Abbott will use this to talk about the wall around our parliament and maybe even the moat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

4 dead, including 1 cop. 20 injured in attack on UK parliament. Abbott will use this to talk about the wall around our parliament and maybe even the moat.

The parliament guards need to get rid of their boring police style uniforms and wear shining chromed suits of medieval plate armor.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Konomex posted:

SA is awaiting a law review on changes to provocation laws to remove the gay panic defense without accidentally also removing legal defences for victims of domestic violence.

Game lifted, just doing their due diligence.

Thankfully, Queensland codified domestic violence defences some years ago.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

DancingShade posted:

The parliament guards need to get rid of their boring police style uniforms and wear shining chromed suits of medieval plate armor.

Swiss guard style would be my preference

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/MichaelPascoe01/status/844662554194411520

:australia:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

is this what it feels like to have a stroke?

also

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

QUACKTASTIC posted:

is this what it feels like to have a stroke?

also

That one got a wry smirk

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/844495180350787585

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

She's pissed lmao.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...322-gv3psz.html
Moving public servants out of Canberra is "core business" for the Turnbull government, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce says, and more of it is likely following the move of the pesticides authority to his seat of New England.

In an interview with Fairfax Media, Mr Joyce said the Australian Pesticides and Medicines Authority's forced move had prompted political attacks from Labor but that "it is now resonating as one of the biggest positive things" he had done as Agriculture Minister.

One of the greatest hurdles facing the plan to move the APVMA to Armidale is the objections of the public servants who work at the agency with just 10 of its 103 highly-trained regulatory scientists believed to be interested in moving their lives to the north.

But Mr Joyce had a blunt message for public servants who have complained about the relocation, with the minister arguing the move had been in the national interest, while linking decentralisation to helping people to find affordable housing.

"The more they [Labor] get excited about it, the more people not living in the cities think that's a good idea," he said.

" If you want people to have a job where they can get a cheaper house, surely the jobs need to be where cheaper houses are.

"I believe in decentralisation, I think it is core business, otherwise we will end up with just two big cities, one called Sydney and one called Melbourne.

"We have to find a reason for people to live somewhere else.

"The sooner Tamworth, Dubbo, Orange have a 100,000 people, or 200,000 people, you can take a little pressure off Sydney and Melbourne."

In practice, he said, that meant "sections of departments - not a whole department, and where it can appropriately work" could be moved to the regions in the future.

He brushed aside the concerns of the APVMA workers who did not want to go to Armidale, comparing his plan to the early days of Canberra.

"People always say they don't want to go, they never do, they didn't want to go Canberra, before that they didn't want to go to Sydney from Liverpool," Mr Joyce said.

"History is made by people not wanting to go somewhere.

The APVMA move has attracted criticism from every lobby and industry group in the various sectors it regulates, including agricultural, chemical and veterinary medical groups.

A cost-benefit analysis conducted by accounting giants Ernst and Young at a cost to taxpayers of $270,000, found the direct cost of moving the authority north will be $25.6 million, the benefits to the Australian economy would be "modest" and the advantages for the agency itself "limited".

But Mr Joyce said he still believes his plan is good for Australia.

"The action of a government with vision is not to ask people their personal opinion, it's to do what is good for the nation," he said.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

HNNNNGGG
Ahahahhahahahah

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

HNNNNGGG
Ahahahhahahahah

Well he has significantly improved his public persona over the years and also thrown out the occasional kernel of rational thought, so there's something in this.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Joyce is right that there need to be jobs in the regions to entice people to move there, but this kinda seems a bit hamfisted to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

What if, and this is crazy but bear with me, we made houses cheaper where the jobs already are. I'm not sure if the maths on this really works as I'm not a mathistician but if it's affordable houses + good job = good times then wouldn't adjusting the easier of the left hand side of the equation to make it add up correctly be the smart thing to do?

• Locked thread