Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

mehall posted:

I understand the desire to have armed personnel to kepe vital resources safe, and I understand that the Queen is marked as a vital resource, though I am no Monarchist, but pretty much anyone beyond the royals, and maybe the PM, im not so sure of. And I definitely don't think we need the guys at the airports with the MP5's out.

People who are clearly security staff, who no doubt have a decent pistol with likely a spare magazine, should be enough to defend against any typical attack. If there's a big enough attack that would require a further response, and the security services didn't have any awareness of it? Chances are increased security would just increase the terrorist resource requirements, meaning you actually have increased bloodshed they dont do it or attack somewhere else.

Calm down, Clancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Lid posted:

Its unlikely, car attacks (both terrorist and people gone homicidal) seem to have increased dramatically as a method via realising just how much damage can be done with a few tonnes of metal at high speed. Off the top of my head there was the attack in France, and a spree killing in Melbourne Australia a month back both using vehicles.
Not that I want to give anyone any ideas and it'd be horrible if it happened, but I honestly don't know why there hasn't been a terrorist attack that's just a bunch of multi-car pileups at strategic locations around the M25. It seems obvious.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

British people really don't like seeing armed police. There's generally a couple of DPG* hanging around somewhere in the vicinity and a bunch of them inside, plus ARVs/Trojans all around, and presumably a shitload of DPG inside, but unless something big is up you'll almost never see armed cops actually out on the streets, and the Met continually get poo poo from both the public and politicians if they're too visible.

Not counting he zone 1 tube and rail stations as "on he streets"? Bored looking cops with guns are a semi permanent installation now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I were to be cynical, perhaps because there isn't anything you can do about car crashes on the motorway.

Attacks in urban areas provoke the response of more armed police and more restrictions on activity. If your goal is to cause terror then you want people to have something to feel afraid about, and government reponse to terror attacks is very good at that.

Though I suppose if you're trying to create unrest, getting the government to lower the national speed limit would probably do it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I've seen all-black outfit police (military police?) just walking around one of the most central high streets in London, touting assault rifles around, didn't really bat an eye at that.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the guardian has footage of the car racing across the bridge, and the woman falling into the thames, pretty harrowing stuff

Edit: BBC sorry

https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/844675484411723776

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

I've seen all-black outfit police (military police?) just walking around one of the most central high streets in London, touting assault rifles around, didn't really bat an eye at that.

I think that's actually just the normal armed police actually, they just dress like that cos they're a bit fash.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Paul.Power posted:

Not that I want to give anyone any ideas and it'd be horrible if it happened, but I honestly don't know why there hasn't been a terrorist attack that's just a bunch of multi-car pileups at strategic locations around the M25. It seems obvious.

there's a BBC docu-drama (The Day Britain Stopped) that took on this, but rather than terrorists, it hypothesizes two multi-car pile-ups on the M25 on the Friday before Christmas during a 48 hour rail strike. The end result being a mid-air collision between two planes caused by air traffic controllers having to work overtime as their relief staff can't get in as every road within 100 miles of London is gridlocked

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

I think that's actually just the normal armed police actually, they just dress like that cos they're a bit fash.

They looked like this

So yeah, armed police, their assault rifles (not submachineguns) were full tacticlol too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I thought you meant the guys in the helmets and balaclavas. That's more tame than I thought.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Culture shock I guess. You don't really see police all that often in Buenos Aires, and when you do it's usually the typical street corner guy with a high-vis vest and maybe a pistol. I remember the first time I saw police in New York I thought "jesus christ that guy is fit as gently caress", in my mind police=out-of-shape had been common sense until I started travelling.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

They would loose though wouldn't they, so kind-of a flawed concept. A flawed concept that means loads of people dieing and resources wasted on military crap instead of nice things. Who is the head guy in charge of Daesh, just stick him on the phone to me and i'll talk some sense into him, im sure he is a reasonable bloke once you get to know him, just got to talk some logic with him :)

There was some Liverpudlian football firm a year or two back on twitter or loving somewhere. Anyway they offered to meat Daesh in an underpass for a kicking to sort it all out.
I liked that.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Looke posted:

the guardian has footage of the car racing across the bridge, and the woman falling into the thames, pretty harrowing stuff

Surprised they didn't label the bridge in case we couldn't imagine what a bridge looked like.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

They looked like this

So yeah, armed police, their assault rifles (not submachineguns) were full tacticlol too.

I'd like to think that whenever Greater Anglia staff at Liverpool Street get into an argument over tickets and the call for BTP goes out, the two omnipresents with assault rifles just wander over all friendly-like to see what's going on.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I assume the m4 pattern rifles are so they over-penetrate and hit innocents. Because why the gently caress else would you arm them with assault rifles over a submachine gun in a close urban environment?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I'll do a bit of stereotyping/casual racism to counter the deluge that is going to hit the papers tomorrow, why do most male coppers look like white pudgy shaved thumb-heads? Its very a very common observable thing if you look out for it. Not saying they are all like that or anything, I know a copper who has hair and isnt a nazi.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

I assume the m4 pattern rifles are so they over-penetrate and hit innocents. Because why the gently caress else would you arm them with assault rifles over a submachine gun in a close urban environment?

Maybe they're more accurate? Idk it's a long time since I played counter strike.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe they're more accurate? Idk it's a long time since I played counter strike.

They'll be more accurate in the desert at 600m. Not sure there's much difference in a tightly packed ticket area.

Source: I am a Sky martial of the navy army in ARMA 3: Attack on NOT-CYPRUS

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

Please do not summon the gun nerds to this thread

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

They'll be more accurate in the desert at 600m. Not sure there's much difference in a tightly packed ticket area.

I don't know I'm just glad we have a highly trained, dedicated police force looking after us.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Please do not summon the gun nerds to this thread

Sorry.

Pissflaps posted:

I don't know I'm just glad we have a highly trained, dedicated police force looking after us.

Indeed.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pissflaps posted:

What like the ones who taser old geezers while walking their dog?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Seaside Loafer posted:

What like the ones who taser old geezers while walking their dog?

Yes especially those.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hey all, I don't do the mod voice thing often but if you could please refrain from musing over which MP's you'd prefer to die that'd be real nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

They can use hollowpoint ammunition to prevent that, as police often do with many of their weapons.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
OwlFancier I'm a long time lurker small time shitposter but I assure you I'm a huge fan so is there any chance you can warn me about places to avoid before you go eventually over the high side m8 tia

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Paul.Power posted:

Your average lone wolf terrorist simply doesn't have either the intelligence or the patience to work out plan that would allow them to escape being shot within the hour. This attack is utterly unoriginal—a direct adaptation of a tactic used with growing frequency over the last five years.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Fans posted:

Hey all, I don't do the mod voice thing often but if you could please refrain from musing over which MP's you'd prefer to die that'd be real nice.

Lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're more than likely loaded with rounds that take over penetration into account. Police can use them since they aren't bound by the Geneva Convention like the military.

Pochoclo posted:

I remember the first time I saw police in New York I thought "jesus christ that guy is fit as gently caress", in my mind police=out-of-shape had been common sense until I started travelling.

There are a ton of fat as gently caress out of shape cops here in the US. I'd say that guy was more of an exception than anything else.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Law enforcement agencies are very aware of incidents like the North Hollywood shootout, where two bank robbers in body armour basically shrugged off small-calibre gunfire for 15 minutes until SWAT turned up with assault rifles. Seeing armed police makes me very uncomfortable but for the sort of organised attacks these officers are supposed to deter I'm not going to quibble with them being armed with something that can put down a prepared attacker ASAP.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So Afzhal Khan got the nomination for Manchester Gorton.

I've no idea what he's like as a politician, but Corbyn and his team really really need to get better at forcing through their preferred candidates. Watson and his allies have no problem with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't it up to the CLP to elect the candidate?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't it up to the CLP to elect the candidate?

The final vote yes, but the shortlist was decided by committee at a higher level.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was a pro-corbyn candidate on it as I recall? Former lawyer, I think?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The new Private Eye is out and a quick browse of Pedantry Corner suggests that I'm the only reader to have seen a joke about "Bukkaka" and thought "hello, that doesn't sound right" which seems awfully implausible to me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't have much to add, but anti-terrorism units seem like a good thing, even if they might not visibly do much.

Now for the parts of security services that spy on activists, ehh. Depends what kind of activist I guess, but what with the Green peer having been in the domestic terrorism database, well umm, it is a bit worrying. Like alright ecoterrorism and such might be a valid reason, but it seems to stroll a bit too close to what FBI did to Martin Luther King (and other similar security service incidents).

Also the Guardian comments on an article about the latter are full of fash being gleeful about that surveillance.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
some blogger commentary on terrorist motivations

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
In other news, it looks like the Govt are taking a leaf out of New Labour's book and slipping out some bad news when fewer people will be paying attention.
And yes, that muffled sob is the sound of the Tories loving the young again.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

So Afzhal Khan got the nomination for Manchester Gorton.

I've no idea what he's like as a politician, but Corbyn and his team really really need to get better at forcing through their preferred candidates. Watson and his allies have no problem with it.

Why do you think he was forced through instead of being fairly chosen by the local party? There was at least one Corbynite on the short list IIRC

e: not saying you're defiantly wrong. I'm genuinely interested in if there's actually been shenanigans

Cerv fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Looke posted:

Valuable journalism from the BBC, but I think if we could get Gary Lineker to commentate that would really improve my inderstanding of events.

• Locked thread