Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

G-Reco also has a style of pacing and direction that hides important developments and foreshadowing as almost background gags to whatever is currently in focus and demands you read between the lines at the expense of those same lines you're supposed to be reading between, so it's pretty maddening. In a number of ways I feel it shares problems with Pacific Rim and if you thought that movie was hot garbage you will probably hate G-Reco. It's subtle to a degree I don't enjoy.

Hunt11 posted:

I haven't watched any of those shows.

Tbf Gundam Wing is a giant pile of crazy and I can't go back and watch it without a case of beers and the goofy Canadian dub. Without that nostalgia hit it's just a mess and I am not surprised you dropped it if you were expecting quality.

Each work that the Gundam fandom considers a classic or at least Very Good tends to be pretty different from the rest. Turn-A isn't even a war story, it's essentially a turn-of-the-20th-century (more or less) adventure with a charming cast of secondary characters and a level-headed protagonist who doesn't develop much but also doesn't really need to, and they're all on a globetrotting journey in what could be described as the most heavily armed peace delegation in history. Build Fighters is basically a tournament show and the sport is building toy Gundams and fighting with them, but it's also one of the best Gundam shows made this decade. 0080, a side story set during the final weeks of the One Year War depicted in the first Gundam series, is a understated character piece set far from the front lines that will probably wring your heart dry. The original Mobile Suit Gundam is late 70's as gently caress (and if you don't know what that means, look up clips of it on youtube) but if you can get over the artifacts of the super robot genre it's still telling a story compelling enough to start a 30-year franchise. And Zeta is the direct sequel to MSG, taking place a few years later. It's better in a lot of ways, especially in terms of animation and production values, but its story is bleaker and its cast is filled with assholes, and the franchise draws a large portion of its aesthetic influence from it rather than First Gundam.

If you really liked IBO you may like Thunderbolt, which probably has more in common with it than any of the classics listed above. It will probably also be fondly remembered as a go-to Good Gundam Show in time unless its sequel retroactively spoils the broth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also you will note that Gundam Build Fighters has the visual presentation and basic premise that should group it in that genre of merchandise-based fighting-pets-and-toys anime (you know what genre I'm talking about) but don't let that deter you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

I haven't watched any of those shows.

You should watch all of those knowing they will provide very different viewing experiences.

I recommend just watching the compilation movies for First Gundam, they're mostly an upgrade over the full show in terms of pacing (even though they're missing a few good episodes) and are more approachable. Watch the full Zeta TV series, though.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hunt11 posted:

coming to understand just what makes him tick and how broken he really is.

Char across Mobile Suit Gundam (movies), Zeta (TV series) and Char's Counter Attack is good for this imo. And then Origin hoo boy!

I think War in the Pocket is really good, it doesn't have many fights but they're certainly brutal. Its core is a very small scale character drama so maybe you'll hate it! Its 6 episodes though so why not give it a try.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Xarbala posted:

Tbf Gundam Wing is a giant pile of crazy and I can't go back and watch it without a case of beers and the goofy Canadian dub.

I can't listen to dub Duo Maxwell anymore and not hear Rattrap from Beast Wars. It's so loving jarring.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Xarbala posted:

G-Reco also has a style of pacing and direction that hides important developments and foreshadowing as almost background gags to whatever is currently in focus and demands you read between the lines at the expense of those same lines you're supposed to be reading between, so it's pretty maddening. In a number of ways I feel it shares problems with Pacific Rim and if you thought that movie was hot garbage you will probably hate G-Reco. It's subtle to a degree I don't enjoy.
Uh where are you seeing the commonalities between G-Reco and Pacific Rim? It seems like an odd comparison to me.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does anyone actually love both G Reco and IBO? Not like "Oh, I tolerate this enough" but on a top 10 list, both of them are there. Every reaction I've seen here is you're either on Team Reco or team IBO like it's the celtics and lakers.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I liked Reco, but I do think IBO is the better show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Does anyone actually love both G Reco and IBO? Not like "Oh, I tolerate this enough" but on a top 10 list, both of them are there. Every reaction I've seen here is you're either on Team Reco or team IBO like it's the celtics and lakers.

I don't love both but I don't hate IBO except for Naze Turbine. The last arc has been fairly solid and assuming the ending is good my biggest problem with it will be that it's about 20 episodes too long which... welcome to the Gundam club for everything not named G-Reco or BF.

IBO stands about mid-tier for me right now which is about where I put G-Reco when I'm being reasonable too, I just like G-Reco better in terms of mecha design and general ideas.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When G-Reco finished airing I had it toward the bottom of my personal rankings list, though I've since suspected a rewatch would improve my opinion of it. If nothing else I like the mecha designs and appreciate the attempt at shaking Gundam up as a franchise.

I have mixed feelings about IBO as a whole though there is stuff I quite like about it, particularly in this final arc and season 2 in general.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I love IBO and utterly despise G Reco.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love G-Reco and am meh on IBO, despite being really hype about it before it started. I think I'm at episode... 11? 12? And it's just a very alright show with very basic designs and it'S got some cool moments I guess but nothing amazing.

Like, if I'd just watched it along with all the other Gundam series when I first started devouring them, I suspect I'd like it a lot more. But as is, coming after G-Reco's crazy creativity and Build Fighter's great execution it just didn't live up to my expectations and I just can't manage to make myself care.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Uh where are you seeing the commonalities between G-Reco and Pacific Rim? It seems like an odd comparison to me.

This is a bit roundabout but

Some years back someone wrote a blog post, at least I think it was, about how PacRim was filled to the brim with visual storytelling at the expense of what was actually on screen, but his sister noticed all of the extra details that happened in the background and it really fleshed out the world for her and drew her in to the story. How much of the information is packed into being shown rather than being told, like the expressions of calm disdain on the Russian jager team when walking out of the path of Mako's berserk episode in the drift. Or how, after Charlie Day drifts with the kaiju brain the first time, the immediate next pair of kaijus mysteriously know exactly how to take down jagers in a way the previously shown kaiju didn't, first with a devastating EMP blast to take down Striker Eureka. One of the kaiju even mistakenly tried to acid-spit Cherno Alpha's "face" only to realize the structure at the top of the head was just for spotlights, then focused on crushing the jager's real face after it realizes its mistake. The blogger's sister noticed that this seemed to happen because the kaiju appeared to be acting on new, critical information about the weaknesses of jagers that they didn't have prior to Charlie Day making contact with them, and this was never mentioned in dialogue or text. For good reason, because it's the sort of conclusion you'd normally draw after given time to sit with the data and really analyze what went wrong.

His sister was more perceptive and able to engage with all of the information more quickly and intuitively, giving her a much richer experience from watching PacRim than he did.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Visually, I love G-Reco's designs and pizazz, but IBO's storytelling, for all of its flaws, is more naturally engaging to me. In terms of mecha designs, though, I'm not really sold on the majority of IBO suits, especially Graze-derivatives. There's something about Graze-types that just feels off. Like a mashup between the sleekness of a Flag and something boxier like an Armored Core robot, but combined in a way that don't complement each other as much as it should.

The Barbatos looks pretty good, though, so I'm going to write Grazes off as, from the design production perspective, being an attempt at retroactively creating a grunt using the aesthetic the Barbatos establishes. Because it feels like the artists came up with the Barbatos first and got a really solid, predatory design, and then genericizing the design elements to create a mass production unit, but wanted to hew too closely to the aesthetic the Barbatos establishes for its own good. At least in my opinion. There's plenty of Graze fans out there so I'm a bit of an outlier.

Now G-Reco suits are almost universally fantastic and fun while also being visually coherent with each other, even when they're being weird as gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xarbala posted:

Visually, I love G-Reco's designs and pizazz, but IBO's storytelling, for all of its flaws, is more naturally engaging to me. In terms of mecha designs, though, I'm not really sold on the majority of IBO suits, especially Graze-derivatives. There's something about Graze-types that just feels off. Like a mashup between the sleekness of a Flag and something boxier like an Armored Core robot, but combined in a way that don't complement each other as much as it should.

The Barbatos looks pretty good, though, so I'm going to write Grazes off as, from the design production perspective, being an attempt at retroactively creating a grunt using the aesthetic the Barbatos establishes. Because it feels like the artists came up with the Barbatos first and got a really solid, predatory design, and then genericizing the design elements to create a mass production unit, but wanted to hew too closely to the aesthetic the Barbatos establishes for its own good. At least in my opinion. There's plenty of Graze fans out there so I'm a bit of an outlier.

Now G-Reco suits are almost universally fantastic and fun while also being visually coherent with each other, even when they're being weird as gently caress.

G-Reco really needed another ten-or-so episodes around the mid-series stretch just to let things breathe a little. Also the second season of IBO is thankfully much better with Mobile Suit variety.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love G-Reco's designs almost universally whereas I think the best suits in IBO are anything piloted by Gaelio. That's a guy who knows how to mecha it up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tae posted:

I don't know about either of them being on my top ten, but I like both IBO and G-Reco a lot. They're both in my top ten favorite Gundam list

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'm watching G-Gundam (my second after the original compilation movies) and it's extremely good. Why is it so good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R42Xe-GKqU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mimir posted:

I'm watching G-Gundam (my second after the original compilation movies) and it's extremely good. Why is it so good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R42Xe-GKqU

Almost everything Imagawa (the director) has done is really good. I'd honestly say G Gundam is his least good show, and that is not a slight against G Gundam.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I still can't decide if I like or dislike G-Reco, but I watched it to the very end with my brother, which is something that doesn't happen often. It was a great bonding experience laughing at the show, if anything. The mecha designs are really good, though apparently the gunpla aren't up to par?

Do I want to rewatch it? In a few years, maybe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I still can't decide if I like or dislike G-Reco, but I watched it to the very end with my brother, which is something that doesn't happen often. It was a great bonding experience laughing at the show, if anything. The mecha designs are really good, though apparently the gunpla aren't up to par?

They're not bad, they're just not a good value compared to the other stuff Bandai was putting out, even at the same time. The articulation tends to be a bit sub-par, the accessories are generally pretty basic, there's seam lines, and the pricing is closer to Origins kits than to IBO or the Revive RX-78.

Doesn't help that the G-Self, the flagship kit, is one of the worst in the line.

If you really like a design, or you find some cheap, they're worth a look, but there's better if you're just looking for Cool Kits.

(Like the Shiden. The Shiden is incredible.)

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Droyer posted:

Almost everything Imagawa (the director) has done is really good. I'd honestly say G Gundam is his least good show, and that is not a slight against G Gundam.

Yeah, I'm gonna watch Giant Robo soon after.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mimir posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna watch Giant Robo soon after.

Nice.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I decided to rewatch 00 as I haven't watched it since it's original release. The thing is nearly 10 years old by now which amazes me because it still looks pretty good and man Season 1 still really holds up and reminded me just how good of a character Graham Aker was.

I think it boils down to all his fights being short and very very fast, every time the guy shows up poo poo gets very real in a very exciting way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OZfmRbIijA

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tae posted:

Their approaches to direction/storytelling are pretty radically different so heck, that makes sense to me.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Rumors of a new Gundam being announced on March 24th.

It is called Mobile Suit Gundam Twillight Axis and will be directed by Se Jun Kim. It looks to be based off a light novel that is being serialized in Yatate Bunko.

http://www.moetron.com/post/158703451043/mobile-suit-gundam-twilight-axis-anime-announced

Edit: With working URL

psyer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

psyer posted:

It is called Mobile Suit Gundam Twillight Axis and will be directed by Se Jun Kim. It looks to be based off a light novel that is being serialized in Yatate Bunko.

http://www.moetron.com/post/1587034...anime-announced

Was a bit lukewarm at first but holy crap they got the key animator from build fighters working on this, going to be damned pretty if nothing else.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That the one with the Alex MK 2?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

That the one with the Alex MK 2?

The very same.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

psyer posted:

http://www.moetron.com/post/1587034...anime-announced

That URL goes nowhere, was it deleted?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

That URL goes nowhere, was it deleted?

Might just be a copy error, like on a phone or something

Try this one

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I love G-Reco's designs almost universally whereas I think the best suits in IBO are anything piloted by Gaelio. That's a guy who knows how to mecha it up.

I love IBO's suits and G-Reco is basically poison to look at for me.

Similarly, I love Pacific Rim and hate G-Reco.

But if I'm being honest, my favorite designs (Unicorn excluded) have yet to be seen animated.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Xarbala posted:

Might just be a copy error, like on a phone or something

Try this one
Has anyone read the novel this is based on? Should we be optimistic?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tae posted:

I feel like I love them for very different reasons but neither would be on a top ten of mine.
I think both are very flawed works I would have a hard time recommending to people in that the good bits may not necessary outweigh the bad for them.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Build Fighters and Try are on crunchy now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I am not particularly interested in having another go on the Feddie vs. Zeek treadmill o' despair.

It feels particularly reactionary coming after IBO, which at least tried to shake things up even if the results weren't what the suits might have preferred.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do the suits not like about IBO?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I want an alt history Gundam sort of like Patlabor where mobile suits never really get absorbed into the military system and it basically just Amuro and Char being engineers in rival space robot construction firms.

What?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could go with another UC series that doesn't end with a magic carpet ride to the heat death of the universe and green space crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I want an alt history Gundam sort of like Patlabor where mobile suits never really get absorbed into the military system and it basically just Amuro and Char being engineers in rival space robot construction firms.

What?
Yeah Macross Plus is pretty good. No reason you can't do that kind of story with Gundam.