Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've loved Nile for nearly half of my life here on earth and somehow thought there was one vocalist and Karl was only a guitarist. Huh.

this is a pretty good example of how they switch off on vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWKgA5FoDo0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I totally forgot how loving good the first Augury album is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6twtDvn89Ew

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fyi toxic holocaust was fun as hell and nails absolutely ruled. Nails looked like they were having so much fun. They played literally every song they still knew how to play and for the last song the main dude hopped in the pit and was moshing around while playing guitar.

Apparently this was the first show of the tour, I hope they keep this energy up for the rest of it. It seemed that maybe the rest of the band wasn't too keen to just keep playing songs but I'm sure the lead guy would have played guitar until he passed out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Trump canceled the Wormrot US tour

quote:

Due to the current political climate and numerous bands being turned away at US customs, we felt it was not worth the risk coming to America without the right paperwork, which is expensive. Therefore we truly apologize that we must postpone our US tour until next year when we can focus on a full length tour with all the right papers.
We regret that we came to a decision this late, one month to the start of the tour. Once again, we apologize to everyone who are affected.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Fyi toxic holocaust was fun as hell and nails absolutely ruled. Nails looked like they were having so much fun. They played literally every song they still knew how to play and for the last song the main dude hopped in the pit and was moshing around while playing guitar.

Apparently this was the first show of the tour, I hope they keep this energy up for the rest of it. It seemed that maybe the rest of the band wasn't too keen to just keep playing songs but I'm sure the lead guy would have played guitar until he passed out.

So psyched to see them in Oakland.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Spanish Manlove posted:

Closest they're coming to me is 4 hours away on a Monday night :sigh:

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

I totally forgot how loving good the first Augury album is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6twtDvn89Ew

They've got something new coming out ~soon~ as well

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Joel Grind was playing bass but still looked to be having a shitload of fun

Edit: how about a double picture instead

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 17, 2017

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Spanish Manlove posted:

hell yes, i'm seeing them in about a week - good to know nails are still killing it

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are Junius considered metal? They are in the ball park and their latest albums is spectacular.

e: https://junius-official.bandcamp.com

realbez fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 17, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Trump canceled the Wormrot US tour

gently caress that i was geeked to see them at MDF this year

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Joel Grind... a modern Tom Angelripper? Discuss

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
toxic holocaust loving rules.

unlike obituary's loving new video here. it's so lame I have to question if I like the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEznVpX4MBE

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Caught Red Fang last night. The whole show was a benefit for Mike Scheidt, so it was really chill and pretty awesome. Norska opened and was rad as gently caress. They closed their set by doing a cover of Doom#2 by Yob (bassist Aaron's other band), and then did a cover of Hooker With A Penis by Tool. Oh yeah, they brought out a guest drummer for those two songs...Danny Carey.

It was loving rad.

Red Fang killed it.

edit:

oh poo poo, found a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DflQQE4FMT4

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 18, 2017

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Some really good death metal coming out in a few months from Suffering Hour https://bloodharvestrecords.bandcamp.com/album/in-passing-ascension-cd-12lp

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Caught Red Fang last night. The whole show was a benefit for Mike Scheidt, so it was really chill and pretty awesome. Norska opened and was rad as gently caress. They closed their set by doing a cover of Doom#2 by Yob (bassist Aaron's other band), and then did a cover of Hooker With A Penis by Tool. Oh yeah, they brought out a guest drummer for those two songs...Danny Carey.

It was loving rad.

Red Fang killed it.

edit:

oh poo poo, found a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DflQQE4FMT4

I went and found the Doom #2 video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E59NcLD-_E

That sounds like a loving cool show.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The new Mastodon album is waaayyy better than their last two albums.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

murked by dragon posted:

The new Mastodon album is waaayyy better than their last two albums.

I like the last two a lot even though The Hunter was a late bloomer for me. This one is sounding so good though. If it's possible to wear out digital files I'm probably going to do it by the 31st. Something I've noticed is how great Troy's basslines are. Always have been but they're in a very tasteful sneaky place in these tracks.

And jeez the solo in Show Yourself is ridiculous and better each time I hear it, I need to learn it

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I didn't realize Svart Crown had a new album coming out, so this was a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1GVYKIONs

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Swedish Shining, Revenge and Wolvhammer are going on a cool sounding tour with a dumb name ("the No More Safe Space Tour"). I've actually never listened to either Shining (I should) but I'm guessing Revenge are fun live.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Swedish Shining, Revenge and Wolvhammer are going on a cool sounding tour with a dumb name ("the No More Safe Space Tour"). I've actually never listened to either Shining (I should) but I'm guessing Revenge are fun live.

They're okay. Nothing special honestly. Might have to do with what kind of sound setup the venue has but when I saw them with Watain and Mayhem they were kind of overshadowed, and I like them most of those three bands. Not a great stage presence.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

skasion posted:

They're okay. Nothing special honestly. Might have to do with what kind of sound setup the venue has but when I saw them with Watain and Mayhem they were kind of overshadowed, and I like them most of those three bands. Not a great stage presence.

I heard them on that tour too, they were in the 'so loud it all ran together' range so I didn't get a lot out of it but yeah I imagine it depends on the venue size and sound.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

I didn't realize Svart Crown had a new album coming out, so this was a pleasant surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1GVYKIONs

This is cool. I listened to their previous album a few times and lost interest. There are some sick textures in this song though, so maybe i'll remember it and want 2 keep listening to it after like 5 listens. Nice gang tag, btw

The new Dodecahedron is out; I need to listen to it to decide if it's as good as their first one. So far I don't think it is. It's still cool though, lots of good riff counterpoint. Each guitar is pitched hard to one side so it's easy to hear what each one is doing. heres the bandcamp: Dodecahedron - Kwintessens

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My favorite part about Revenge live was the songs all have sharp starts and stops and they don't say a word between songs, they just stand there in uncomfortable silence, staring at the crowd like they want to kill everyone. It's weird to have the whole room standing there quiet.

Oh and I also loved when a guy I know was convinced that Revenge was formed by Peter Hook from New Order. He had me google "Peter Hook Revenge" but that's a different Revenge. I couldn't stop laughing at him.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

("the No More Safe Space Tour").

Was "The So Much For the Tolerant Left! Tour" too long for the posters or something?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The Ascended Dead debut is a monster.
https://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/abhorrent-manifestation

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnLT8Cbpa0

Let the power of Thor wash over you. I've listened to this song so many times since I came across it, that album is pretty fun all around too. His later stuff doesn't have that same kind of fun early 80s swagger to it, but Thor always has charm. Canadian steel! (The music video is also really really funny)

Thor is not for everyone though, but you've got to at least listen to Cauldron, Canada's finest. Saw them live once so far, I'll see them any time they come to my berg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT4d0HuH3GA
(I just checked and my first post in here from 2014 is recommending Cauldron, fitting!)

I saw Powerglove and The Protomen last week by the way, lotta fun, check those cats out.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 22, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Heavy Metal posted:

Let the power of Thor wash over you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwZRMTLLcTU

Thor has some really cool songs though. Thunder on the Tundra and Let the Blood Run Red come to mind off-hand.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nordick posted:

Thor has some really cool songs though. Thunder on the Tundra and Let the Blood Run Red come to mind off-hand.

The though part is confusing, I love Thor. That one you posted is also great in it's own way, but I prefer the sound on Unchained most for him. Anger is like a solo era Dio riff. I love thrash and whatnot as much as the next guy, but I hope the people in this topic also dig the the more groovin/catchy "rock" influenced days of metal as well. That album you posted also has a heavier/more modern version of Anger, but you can't beat the original flavor in my book.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Don't get fooled by the cover of Triumphant in the video, the song is actually something different entirely. :v:

My point was that Thor is a bit of a joke (moreso than metal in general that is), that just doesn't mean he can't also be cool. Hence, "though".

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Nordick posted:

Don't get fooled by the cover of Triumphant in the video, the song is actually something different entirely. :v:

My point was that Thor is a bit of a joke (moreso than metal in general that is), that just doesn't mean he can't also be cool. Hence, "though".

That song is on the Triumphant album, and yep it is wild stuff. Nothing is surprising to find on a Thor album. I could see him doing a team-up with Naked City.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Huh, cool. I just assumed it was from somewhere else and the video uploader was just being cheeky or something. The more you know!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snowy posted:

My favorite part about Revenge live was the songs all have sharp starts and stops and they don't say a word between songs, they just stand there in uncomfortable silence, staring at the crowd like they want to kill everyone. It's weird to have the whole room standing there quiet.

Oh and I also loved when a guy I know was convinced that Revenge was formed by Peter Hook from New Order. He had me google "Peter Hook Revenge" but that's a different Revenge. I couldn't stop laughing at him.

A lot of the more 'underground' bands don't really do crowd banter or stuff like that, and with bestial type bands it would kind of undercut the effect they're going for to have them just talk normally in between songs.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

A human heart posted:

A lot of the more 'underground' bands don't really do crowd banter or stuff like that, and with bestial type bands it would kind of undercut the effect they're going for to have them just talk normally in between songs.

"This is a song about war"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"This is a song about goat blood worship"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"This is a song about Satan"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHH

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Oldstench posted:

"This is a song about war"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"This is a song about goat blood worship"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"This is a song about Satan"
BZHHHHHHHHHHHH

I do love when Electric Six says "This song is about the ecstasy of accepting Satan as your master", before they play Hello I See You. For metal, Blind Guardian and Opeth are some of the funnier jokesters live. Welcome to the show and welcome... to dying! My favorite ever is the epic "gently caress you" speech from Joey at Manowar though, really blew me away in High School. Mindblowing stuff, the guy is a poet in my book. There were funny imitations of this speech among my friends for some time.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The funniest poo poo is when dudes do the thing where they growl the between song banter too but they're just a little too dorky to pull it off, or the drummer tells them to hold up to adjust their cymbal stand or something.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I do love when Electric Six says "This song is about the ecstasy of accepting Satan as your master", before they play Hello I See You. For metal, Blind Guardian and Opeth are some of the funnier jokesters live. Welcome to the show and welcome... to dying! My favorite ever is the epic "gently caress you" speech from Joey at Manowar though, really blew me away in High School. Mindblowing stuff, the guy is a poet in my book. There were funny imitations of this speech among my friends for some time.

Ah, I see you're into some obscure bands

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A human heart posted:

Ah, I see you're into some obscure bands

I saw Kreator? Death Angel? Is there some kind of contest going on? I hope your metal day goes ok.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i for one am glad i get to live in a world where the titular zombie from zombie nightmare did a duet with seth putnam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i for one am glad i get to live in a world where the titular zombie from zombie nightmare did a duet with seth putnam

This is the kind of enthusiasm and appreciation for art I like to see!