Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Doom is also big because the mp was developed by a separate studio so it could be like 2 whole games worth of files in there.

I wish I could just download the single player because I'm not going to play the MP

I feel like that was an advertised feature of the PS4 at some point but I don't know if I've seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CJacobs posted:

The Witcher 3 also has very intense color grading! And sharpening! Color filters being used properly is the wave of the future

edit: Although Velen sometimes gets so yellow in the afternoon in foresty areas that I can't actually see anything so maybe they went a little overboard
There are certain types of weather and times of day that I've never seen depicted in gaming before TW3, no joke.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > April Games Chat: shhhh honey my stories are on

in re: ME:A and Persona 5 both

:)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish I could just download the single player because I'm not going to play the MP

I feel like that was an advertised feature of the PS4 at some point but I don't know if I've seen it

I thinK Uncharted 4 might have had it? Though it was just you choose the order of which to download first, I don't think you could just choose not to download it at all

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Palpek posted:

There are certain types of weather and times of day that I've never seen depicted in gaming before TW3, no joke.

The waving trees when it's windy look really, really good. I like that they all wave individually instead of having one canned "this tree is waving" animation repeated for all of them.

edit: Also, Doom's MP makes up for like a third of the install size (which again a lot of is just textures for the MP maps) so yeah it would be a lot smaller without it. Unfortunately you can't just delete the MP files and still play the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Palpek posted:

I love windy, overcast days, and Witcher 3 depicts that at certain points really really well. Same with like sunset and early morning. Also the game is colorful as gently caress. And then you go to Toussaint and it's like :swoon: in real life

I'm someone that prefers games that look cartoony over realistic. Captain Toad to me looks better than just about every realistic AAA game that comes out. World of Warcraft looks stunning to me in a lot of places. Etc. Witcher 3 though came along and was like "gently caress you, check this poo poo out" and then blows me away constantly with how gorgeous it is

edit: Witcher 3 defied every expectation I would have for a game like that. It's loving amazing

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 23, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm someone that prefers games that look cartoony over realistic. Captain Toad to me looks better than just about every realistic AAA game that comes out. World of Warcraft looks stunning to me in a lot of places. Etc. Witcher 3 though came along and was like "gently caress you, check this poo poo out" and then blows me away constantly with how gorgeous it is

edit: Witcher 3 defied every expectation I would have for a game like that. It's loving amazing

I think this what kind of hosed Mass Effect Andromeda over. Like, the environments and ships look nice and realistic enough, but then you have to place actual humans and humanoids in there and they just didn't seem capable of it at this point. If they had gone for a stylized look there would probably be a lot less to make fun of. But I guess you can't really do that with an established franchise, even if it is a different side story

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

but then you have to place actual humans and humanoids in there

Look at her face haha.

If only they replaced all humans with Krogans.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the andromeda lady is my favorite mass effect human from what i've seen

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video game beauty standards for video game women are really unrealistic. I like the look of this goofy Shepard, it's pretty fresh!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palpek posted:

Look at her face haha.

If only they replaced all humans with Krogans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTgr41rlKRQ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I think the posts that are like "Female Ryder doesn't look hot Bioware you suck" are uncool. If she looked like that and her face animated properly and she didn't have a dead-eyed thousand-yard stare like everyone else in the game that would be cool

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I legit want this cap.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just realized -- "Video Games" is trademarked? Who has that these days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Call of Duty does this because otherwise the downloads would simply be too much

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone else have Downwell on Steam? It's been updating over and over all day for me. It's really annoying.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Help Im Alive posted:

games do let you pick what mode to download first. i think its down to the devs but ive been redownloading everything the past couple of days cos i just replaced my hard drive and there are quite a few games that will give you the option of what mode to download first out of SP and MP. CoDs option is zombies/MP instead but that kinda makes sense really.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

In Training posted:

Call of Duty does this because otherwise the downloads would simply be too much

even black ops 3 (dont have IW to see) is smaller than doom 4 despite having three fully fleshed out game modes. its really ridiculous that doom 4 is a full 20gb bigger than stuff like GTA V, FFXV and the witcher 3 and i dont see what on earth is in doom that makes it that large. it doesnt look better than other ps4 titles or anything. i think its just a lack of optimization on the devs part.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Stux posted:

even black ops 3 (dont have IW to see) is smaller than doom 4 despite having three fully fleshed out game modes. its really ridiculous that doom 4 is a full 20gb bigger than stuff like GTA V, FFXV and the witcher 3 and i dont see what on earth is in doom that makes it that large. it doesnt look better than other ps4 titles or anything. i think its just a lack of optimization on the devs part.

id loves huge loving textures

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also think the Titanfall 2 international PC version was disgustingly huge because it came with a bunch of language options and all the alternate audio tracks were uncompressed FLAC lol.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

In Training posted:

id loves huge loving textures

i would be one thing if that paid off but idk. i mean doom 4 looks good dont get me wrong but its not like its the best looking game on the system or anything. just seems ridiculous. i mean hzd is like 40gb or something? it makes no sense for that game to be nearly half the size of doom 4, a game that took me like 8 hours to beat. i love it and ive played it a ton beyond that with the arcade mode etc but yeah that file size is just over the top.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

NieR: Automata is 46 GB, if you're talking about oversized games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thats probably the dual audio thing as well. FFXIII PC version is similarly large.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Meanwhile, No Man's Sky is only 2 GB!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

mankind divided is 50gb lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jay Rust posted:

Space is pretty empty, as they say

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...4000:emcid_null

1.7 gb for everything. these guys are complete wizards

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I thought maybe i'd look to see if that Video Games hat turned up on a search.

First result:

:effort:

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Mass Effect Andromeda looks like poo poo, facial and character animation aside, even the dialogue sounds amateur at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgFHIR7lLC0

Jesus christ, even Shepard wasn't THIS beta.

The only good stuff I can say about the game is the environment and sets look shiny and pretty...but that's it. And the fact that this was made on the same Frostbite 3 engine as Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (which is a decent game) makes this look more of a joke.

This game feels pretty mediocre at best.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 23, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How many of these do you recognise?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

pretty much everything until that bottom line

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

13, but some are only because it's realllly obvious (CS:GO, BF3, FC2) I could probably figure out more, but i went with immediate recognition for my answer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i recognize all of them but the eagle with a shotgun which might be an eu4 flag. it was easy once i realized it's alphabetical

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They're definitely in alphabetical order.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's [p2] and the tree

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

prototype 2 and terraria

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This one is a little easier:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

prototype 2

foh

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

In Training posted:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...4000:emcid_null

1.7 gb for everything. these guys are complete wizards

That's procedural generation for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

oddium posted:

i recognize all of them but the eagle with a shotgun which might be an eu4 flag. it was easy once i realized it's alphabetical

If your talking about the one next to Starfox, that's State of Decay.

• Locked thread