Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
In the code for this update, a few summer sideshow assets got slipped in.

When questioned about it, a dev just posted "Teehee!"

Also the spitfire revolvers are bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK3bl35DGh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II9wko4UN2U

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah there is absolutely no way the Spitfire isn't getting nerfed in the next patch or a hotfix. It's fine and pretty normal outside of Zed time but if you're a 25 Firebug the moment it hits you can just delete everything in front of you. For a weapon that's 650D for two, that's not going to stand.

It's also disappointing that the rest of the Firebug weapons still suck with that perk, the incendiary trenchgun still isn't affected by the perk so you shoot in slow mo when you shouldn't, ditto the microwave gun's alternate fire.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Oh my god the 63A is outstanding.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Anyone else find the game locks up a bit since the update? I've had it happen 2 or 3 times in the last hour or two, and it has never done that before. Just freezes in-game and not responding.
Also, Descent game mode is basically happy fun times for Firebug and Beserker.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm glad the Spitfires are better as Firebug because when I used them as a gunslinger I thought they were incredibly mediocre. I figured the fire part of fire revolvers would be important.

aniviron posted:

Yeah there is absolutely no way the Spitfire isn't getting nerfed in the next patch or a hotfix. It's fine and pretty normal outside of Zed time but if you're a 25 Firebug the moment it hits you can just delete everything in front of you. For a weapon that's 650D for two, that's not going to stand.

It's also disappointing that the rest of the Firebug weapons still suck with that perk, the incendiary trenchgun still isn't affected by the perk so you shoot in slow mo when you shouldn't, ditto the microwave gun's alternate fire.

I think doing so is a mistake. You're talking about it being powerful when you're already level 25, only during zed time, using a specific 25 skill, and is otherwise normal? That's not something which needs nerfing. That's a good pairing of zedtime + weapon. Which is the whole point of that zed time skill.

just because something is fun does not mean it immediately needs nerfing. The rest of firebug needs fixing, yes, ruining something that's honestly pretty decent overall? No. I mean, yes, it looks loving astounding in zedtime but against a measure of damage output - like say dumping them into Hans - it's fine.

them looking astounding is an A+ bonus, though, and should be kept for sure.

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 23, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

I'm glad the Spitfires are better as Firebug because when I used them as a gunslinger I thought they were incredibly mediocre. I figured the fire part of fire revolvers would be important.

I think doing so is a mistake. You're talking about it being powerful when you're already level 25, only during zed time, using a specific 25 skill, and is otherwise normal? That's not something which needs nerfing. That's a good pairing of zedtime + weapon. Which is the whole point of that zed time skill.

just because something is fun does not mean it immediately needs nerfing. The rest of firebug needs fixing, yes, ruining something that's honestly pretty decent overall? No. I mean, yes, it looks loving astounding in zedtime but against a measure of damage output - like say dumping them into Hans - it's fine.

them looking astounding is an A+ bonus, though, and should be kept for sure.

I don't think he's saying he wants them to be nerfed. He's saying why they will probably be nerfed anyways following the usual Dev/HoE Masochist logic :v:

Otherwise, he wouldn't be disappointment the other Firebug weapons don't get anywhere near as nice results (or any) in Zed time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

look, Tripwire did a pretty decent job with the Stoner and the Spitfires, let's not tempt fate

because yes they might gently caress it up but they didn't gently caress these two up yet ok

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah I'm absolutely not saying they should be nerfed or that I want them nerfed. Firebug is probably my favourite class, and it's great to have something that plays a little differently in after all this time. I think they're great, I really like the way they work.

But what I am saying is that Tripwire is absolutely going to nerf them because of that. Like I said in my first post, I think almost all of them time they make for a pretty reasonable weapon system, but in that instance they're bonkers and usually TWI responds to that situation by nerfing the weapon in question. They've also spent a big part of the last year nerfing the hell out of Firebug so that goes double in this case.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I foresee the Stoner getting nerfed into Varmint Rifle like damage, but still retain its price.

:smithicide:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

aniviron posted:

They've also spent a big part of the last year nerfing the hell out of Firebug so that goes double in this case.

This is true. It's just ridiculous how bad firebug is at its job compared to every other class. Someone must have a real hate on for flashy (which is to say, awesome) weapons over there but the art team keeps producing these flashy firebug weapons :v:

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Skoll posted:

I foresee the Stoner getting nerfed into Varmint Rifle like damage, but still retain its price.

:smithicide:

It already does less damage. Varmint Rifle is 30, Stoner is 25.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Psion posted:

This is true. It's just ridiculous how bad firebug is at its job compared to every other class. Someone must have a real hate on for flashy (which is to say, awesome) weapons over there but the art team keeps producing these flashy firebug weapons :v:

Even pre-spitfire firebug was fantastic at its job. The job being making sure absolutely every zed in a room dies there while staying away from your teammates.

Honestly the only bad class right now is survivalist.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Theta Zero posted:

Even pre-spitfire firebug was fantastic at its job. The job being making sure absolutely every zed in a room dies there while staying away from your teammates.

And Survivalist is less full on bad and more suboptimal, which begs the question as to what changes could they make to the Perk to improve it?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

drrockso20 posted:

And Survivalist is less full on bad and more suboptimal, which begs the question as to what changes could they make to the Perk to improve it?

Turn it into Martial Artist.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
whats the typical buy path you guys use for the sharpshooter? Finally trying it out

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Tokubetsu posted:

whats the typical buy path you guys use for the sharpshooter? Finally trying it out

I usually stick with the Winchester the entire game. Depending on map Ill roll Winchester / M14 or Winchester / Rail gun.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Tokubetsu posted:

Winchester then immediately sell into .500, roll with .500 for rest of game while also using a railgun when I can afford it and a medic pistol for healing.

Sharpshooter is pretty much my favorite class now using this.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

well you also misread the DLC launch date so your opinion is forever wrong, sorry pal

i mean my opinion remains unchanged: 80% resists are bad, firebug still bad. Very fun despite this, but in terms of effectiveness, pick something else. No other class in the game has such harsh rules and the literal requirement to bring a T4 to be effective against half the enemy types. it's bad design.

like don't get me wrong I want to enjoy bug but every time I play it I would be twice as effective and about eight times as money-positive for the rest of my team if I'd gone berserker

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 24, 2017

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Psion posted:

well you also misread the DLC launch date so your opinion is forever wrong, sorry pal

i mean my opinion remains unchanged: 80% resists are bad, firebug still bad. Very fun despite this, but in terms of effectiveness, pick something else. No other class in the game has such harsh rules and the literal requirement to bring a T4 to be effective against half the enemy types. it's bad design.

like don't get me wrong I want to enjoy bug but every time I play it I would be twice as effective and about eight times as money-positive for the rest of my team if I'd gone berserker

What difficulty are you playing on and what skillset are you using? For me, Firebug is good on suicidal and still borderline mandatory on hell on earth. On lower difficulties, the zeds don't spawn in such large numbers so firebug feels a lot less effective.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

suicidal always, and skills I dunno I'd have to check. heat wave, infinite zed time ammo, 200% mag size, forget the rest. what do you use?

but seriously, this isn't about me and my skills or lack thereof: T4 micro is your only weapon worth using against half the zed types. Until the spitfires, your only other weapon worth it was the T1 C&B, which just can't output enough damage for later waves even against things where it's nominally most effective. I don't even care if you're good with firebug, you cannot believe that's a good design decision.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
If I'm coming off KF1 from several years ago, how easily will I be able to jump back into this during the free weekend?

Has performance gotten better since early access?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Psion posted:

suicidal always, and skills I dunno I'd have to check. heat wave, infinite zed time ammo, 200% mag size, forget the rest. what do you use?

Wwwhhhyyy would you use 200% mag size? 35% damage means you use need less ammo to kill things. The reload for firebug guns isn't even that long.

Outside of that I use napalm, ground fire, heat wave, and the infinite ammo thing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

because it also just gives you more reserve ammo, and that is fun and good

seriously though answer the other question I've asked like 5 loving times over the course of this thread though :mad:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The trench gun was really bad until the patch before this one, but it's actually really drat good now. Second highest damage per shot shotgun in the game iirc, only real downside is the pricey ammo and reload times. Microwave + trench is great though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Don't really see the issues with Firebug, only enemies I consistently have any trouble with are Scrakes and Fleshpounds

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Psion posted:

because it also just gives you more reserve ammo, and that is fun and good

seriously though answer the other question I've asked like 5 loving times over the course of this thread though :mad:

What question?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I have more fun with the flamethrower and only switch to the microwave gun on the boss round. I know the scrakes and FPs are very resistant to fire but I'll have some other weapon to use on them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel I'm using the microwave gun wrong, I try to burst fire it and I feel like I barely kill anything, meanwhile I tap the flamethrower and poo poo dies pretty fast.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Alteisen posted:

I feel I'm using the microwave gun wrong, I try to burst fire it and I feel like I barely kill anything, meanwhile I tap the flamethrower and poo poo dies pretty fast.

Are you aiming in front of the feet and pulsing with the microwave gun?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

What question?

you're doing this on purpose, aren't you

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

On Suicidal it is easy to top the scoreboard with Firebug purely because it's so good at clearing trash. Let others deal with husks, scrakes and FPs while you light everything on fire. At the very least your fire panics/slows zeds which is also useful.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

drrockso20 posted:

Don't really see the issues with Firebug, only enemies I consistently have any trouble with are Scrakes and Fleshpounds

I've always just peeled off the big zeds to flame the back route of junk spawn so the single-target damage doers could do their jobs. Not sure if that makes me a potato, but there's something to be said for effective trash control so that your big guns can not get pulled off their headshot-hunting or w/e.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The usefulness of panicking zeds is questionable if you're not going to finish them. Sometimes that just makes it really hard for your allies to line up the headshots because they flail around so much.

What IS useful the guaranteed stagger you get from the level 20 perk on close range zeds. I have saved so many teammates from being chainsawed/flesh pounded by staggering them at the last second, letting my allies land the final shots instead of dying.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

aniviron posted:

What IS useful the guaranteed stagger you get from the level 20 perk on close range zeds. I have saved so many teammates from being chainsawed/flesh pounded by staggering them at the last second, letting my allies land the final shots instead of dying.
So much this, it's really useful all around when you can sweep a mob of zeds with a flamer and stop them from screaming/puking/flaming your team mates. And my personal favorite of kiting scrakes with the trenchgun.

The panicing zeds thing is something I'm guilty of from time to time when I try to take potshots at a mob and the huge spread fucks me over :v:. Nothing like seeing a RPG or a railgun shot whiff when the target suddenly starts flailing around because it caught a pellet.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Re: "firebug is bad"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
No giant slayer or dominator=confirmed 100% bad class.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am very much enjoying this game and will probably buy it this weekend for half price.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Which weapons do you guys roll with when you play with the Gunslinger perks?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

By the way, you can grab Chivalry for free today. Relevant for this thread because it unlocks the larper character and the Zweihander weapon, and is also a pretty sweet game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Jimbot posted:

Which weapons do you guys roll with when you play with the Gunslinger perks?

Akimbo 1911s, a lever-action, a grenade pistol, and either a medic pistol or akimbo Berettas depending on necessity. I'll swap the 1911s out for Desert Eagles during boss phases, sometimes sooner if I'm feeling in the mood.

I came back to this game recently after bouncing during the resistance debacle. A lot has improved, and I'm totally loving the cross class weapons - it really opens up a lot more variety.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 28, 2017