Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

😍😍😍😍

Thanks for the rec, I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred Shitcock
Jul 2, 2007

The fun is over, start digging,dreaming is over, run inside
So my Apple Pencil battery is dying after maybe 6 hours of charging it, i got it like 6 months ago. Do I need to take my iPad to the Apple Store? I don't have the serial number of my pencil but I got em the same day iPad and pencil.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

😍😍😍😍

Thanks for the rec, I love it!

Welcome. For the price it's unbeatable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alfred Shitcock posted:

So my Apple Pencil battery is dying after maybe 6 hours of charging it, i got it like 6 months ago. Do I need to take my iPad to the Apple Store? I don't have the serial number of my pencil but I got em the same day iPad and pencil.

I would take it by the store.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Just picked up an Air 2, feels like I finally got a tablet worth using after several nexus' and tabs. I was looking into a pressure sensitive stylus but apparently they changed the way the screen works in the Air 2? Does This work?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Just picked up an Air 2, feels like I finally got a tablet worth using after several nexus' and tabs. I was looking into a pressure sensitive stylus but apparently they changed the way the screen works in the Air 2? Does This work?
I'm thinking that thing (and/or the listing) was just made before the Air 2 came out, or it's implied it works with later ones. The main thing with third party active ones like that is whether the software support is still there going forward since afaik it's implemented on a per app basis. I'm guessing it'll be fine cause Wacom is big but just look for more recent reviews. Looks like it uses a fat capacitive tip so it should still work as a dumb stylus even without support at least.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are the USB ports on this surge protector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJ8Q5IG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 okay to use with the iPad Pro 2? Will there be enough power to charge this device?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

I'm thinking that thing (and/or the listing) was just made before the Air 2 came out, or it's implied it works with later ones. The main thing with third party active ones like that is whether the software support is still there going forward since afaik it's implemented on a per app basis. I'm guessing it'll be fine cause Wacom is big but just look for more recent reviews. Looks like it uses a fat capacitive tip so it should still work as a dumb stylus even without support at least.

Well that one has a few reviews talking about using the Air 2 but I can't verify. Too bad the Air 2 is in a weird place for stylus devices, I'd like something that can at least write neatly. It's not essential but if I had known I *might* have splurged the extra few hundred for a pro.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

That should be enough for a pro, yes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Are the USB ports on this surge protector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XJ8Q5IG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 okay to use with the iPad Pro 2? Will there be enough power to charge this device?

Review from about 6 months ago:

quote:

The USB ports began working well below their posted amperage just a few months after the purchase (all of my electronic devices would give indication that they weren't receiving enough juice). In other words, it stopped working as advertised fairly quickly. Amazon will not allow me to discuss the warranty process to replace the item. I'm rating this item as a single star, so feel free to figure it out.

I'd say no.

I used to use a Belkin unit that would plug over an outlet and provide 2 USB and 6 power outlets. It worked OK for overnight charging for the iPhone and iPad mini. I eventually ditched using the USB ports.

Personally, I use one of these now for my devices. It does make a difference with the Poweline+ cables vs. generic cables for charging speed. I also use it to charge my new rMBP (non-touchbar version).

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Charger-PowerPort-Delivery/dp/B01D8C6ULO

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anybody know of any good gooseneck/extended type clamps that would work for bedtime viewing With an iPad Pro 12.9

Oftentimes my wife goes out of town for days at a time and the kids sleep in the bed with me. We all go to sleep at like 8pm or so (gently caress!) and I watch movies on my iPad with BT speakers.

Something like this, but proven to be decent (or great!) and able to handle 12.9" iPad Pro weight.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
My wife is considering picking up an iPad Pro to use with her sewing/seamstress business for sizing, notes, and designs. Are there any related apps that really stand out beyond something like Adobe Sketch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
New iPad Air 2: thicker and no extra features!

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/03/apples-new-329-9-7-inch-ipad-replaces-air-2-has-no-pro-features/

Why Apple, why?

Edit: faster chip at least.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah just posted about that in the iPhone thread. BiZarre decision to release it without any pro features.

Just buy the air 2?!

eames
May 9, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

New iPad Air 2: thicker and no extra features!

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/03/apples-new-329-9-7-inch-ipad-replaces-air-2-has-no-pro-features/

Why Apple, why?

Edit: faster chip at least.

no fully laminated display, no antireflective coating. gotta keep those margins healthy!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I mean, I can update my dads old iPad 2 for 329 now? He doesn't give a poo poo about all of the pro features and his iPad won't stutter anymore when opening the App Store.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah just posted about that in the iPhone thread. BiZarre decision to release it without any pro features.

Just buy the air 2?!

They're not selling the Air 2 anymore. I mean, yeah, it'll be available on clearance elsewhere, but it's out of production with this.

So no, not really bizarre at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of the iPad Mini (I have the 4), and with the Mini both not being refreshed and costing more than the new iPad, the Mini 4 might end being my last Mini. I like the screen size, but it isn't worth it if all the better features are in the 9.7" iPads.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think it's that weird. I mean it's $329 that's pretty good for people like the poster above that would have his dad upgrade.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
drat, I just recently bought an Air 2 for $300. Hopefully they don't brick it with updates for at least a little while.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's surprisingly still the highest benchmarked iOS device in CPUMark, though that's likely because of that third core. It'll be fine for awhile.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The only thing keeping iPad revenue from falling off a cliff is the Pro's more expensive cost per unit.

This is just Apple trying to sell more inexpensive iPads versus fewer more expensive ones.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

drat, I just recently bought an Air 2 for $300. Hopefully they don't brick it with updates for at least a little while.

It isn't Android. It'll probably run at least iOS 12.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just hope they don't kill the mini

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm a big fan of the iPad Mini (I have the 4), and with the Mini both not being refreshed and costing more than the new iPad, the Mini 4 might end being my last Mini. I like the screen size, but it isn't worth it if all the better features are in the 9.7" iPads.

I'm still using an ancient iPad Mini 1, and this new iPad is really quite ideal for what I'm looking for in an upgrade. Although I was hoping there would be a fifth Mini and the 4 would get knocked down to the same price as the Mini 2. The revised Mini 4 pricing is bullshit though, £10 more gets you the 128GB version of the new iPad. I love the form factor of the Mini but its just not good value for money.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I know speculating on future Apple releases is pretty futile but I've not been keeping up with the news so much recently. Is a fuller Spring event expected or did this week's 'iPad' update put the kibosh on any iPad Pro 2 rumours for a while?

The reason I'm asking is that it makes some financial sense for me to buy a new Pro before April 5th... unless there's a significant upgrade likely within a month or two. If that's the case it'd probably be wiser for me to hold off.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
It would not surprise me to find that the iPad Pros aren't selling well at all, especially because the only real thing they bring to the table (versus the Air 2, or the just-announced replacement for the Air 2) is Apple Pencil compatibility, which works great already.

Pretty much since late 2014, iPads have been good enough.

At this point, the only thing that could get me to upgrade would be screens that stretch to mostly eliminate the bezel, and better battery life.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Given that the entirety of the iPad's existence has been "10 hour battery life" regardless of model I think it's a safe assumption that any future ones also will be.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Feeling better about grabbing my Pro now. Going three months without a tablet would have been real obnoxious, especially since I did some traveling last month.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Pro Bros for life. LOVE The gently caress out of my big pro.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

What up brother? I love my big rear end pro too.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's the big german shepherd of tablets

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The only thing I don't love about my pro is that there is no way to attach the pencil so it is lost somewhere in my house

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GoldfishStew posted:

The iPad Pro is the best computer I've ever owned.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Kilometers Davis posted:

The iPad Pro is the best computer I've ever owned.

Can firmly attest to this. Having it jail broken really ups its ability in replacing a laptop

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
Can you expand on this? What benefits does jailbreaking the pro add to it? All I ever seem to do after jailbreaking is play emulators and then return to stock like a week later.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
My 12.9" Pro is jailbroken, and I can't speak to how this directly makes it better as a laptop replacement, BUT I can say that pairing the 12.9" iPad with a decent keyboard (like the Logitech Tablet Keyboard), a Citrix X1 mouse, and Jump Desktop means that I can remote into my systems using RDP or VNC to get work done, if needed. It works much, much better than it should.

However, I did see that ChromeOS now has viable RDP plugins for Chrome, so going with a cheapish Chromebook would be a solution too. I just happen to use my iPad for 95% leisure and 5% work, so my solution works much better for me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rio posted:

The only thing I don't love about my pro is that there is no way to attach the pencil so it is lost somewhere in my house

Yeah that's why I bought a magnet sleeve for my pencil. It isn't perfect but it does the job.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm able to download files off of Safari, save them into whatever folder of like on the system itself. As well as attach whatever file I want to an email.

Also blocking ads system wide as well as stopping apps from using the microphone/location etc to gather advertising data.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Hamburlgar posted:

Also blocking ads system wide as well as stopping apps from using the microphone/location etc to gather advertising data.

Just going to leave this here: https://blog.adguard.com/en/adguard-pro-release/

On the mic/location thing, granular control has always been available for those things on a per-app basis. Same for other functions like camera, contacts, photo library, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

bobfather posted:

My 12.9" Pro is jailbroken, and I can't speak to how this directly makes it better as a laptop replacement, BUT I can say that pairing the 12.9" iPad with a decent keyboard (like the Logitech Tablet Keyboard), a Citrix X1 mouse, and Jump Desktop means that I can remote into my systems using RDP or VNC to get work done, if needed. It works much, much better than it should.

However, I did see that ChromeOS now has viable RDP plugins for Chrome, so going with a cheapish Chromebook would be a solution too. I just happen to use my iPad for 95% leisure and 5% work, so my solution works much better for me.

gently caress me, this is like my useage case too and I've been looking at grabbing the big Pro for exactly these reasons.

Could I ask why you've decided to go with the Logitech keyboard versus the Apple Smart Keyboard?