Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shibata winning is cool and all, but the real story is that they're clearly building to a Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito match and that's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oh yeah, I can't take issue with the booking, I actually like watching NJPW. It's amazing to think how well they are doing still. They have such a golden touch right now, the only duds in the company are ones that have been around for forever, new guys develop fast and so often well.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Gotta admit I bit hard on the Grenade nearfall.
Me too. It was well done with Shibata kicking out really late.

Thauros posted:

i'm not expecting him to beat Okada (wouldn't completely shock eme tho) but I think winning the NJC and headlining one of their 5 biggest shows is a fairly clear indicator that the sexts didn't hurt his push.
I never got that impression. Sure he was a bit directionless outside of the RPW title, but it's not like he's been dropping losses like candy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I will kill someone for those calves.

I will kill multiple people if it gets me those calves.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Shibata winning is cool and all, but the real story is that they're clearly building to a Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito match and that's amazing.

Juice will lose and be rewarded with an IWGP title match at Dominion. Dude knows how to fail upward.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I forgot to mention that I loved the interactions Yano and G.O.D. had in the tag match.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Just curious, Is Jay White still with the company and just on his young boy excursion or is he doing his own thing now?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the former

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
I really liked Jay in NJPW but he's felt utterly unremarkable in the ROH stuff I've seen from him, not sure if that's his fault or ROH's though (probably at least some of the latter because when is it not). I think he could use a little less vanilla look at least.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

It's nice that Kevin Kelly is finally pronouncing Suzuki-Gun correctly. Even if he can tell he absolutely hates saying it that way.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Chase Owens is back for the Sakura Genesis Tour.

Sumo Hall card:

New Japan Pro Wrestling “SAKURA GENESIS 2017”, 4/9/2017 [Sun] 16:00 @ Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo
(0) Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger & David Finlay vs. Hirai Kawato, Tomoyuki Oka & Katsuya Kitamura

(1) Togi Makabe, Yuji Nagata, Tiger Mask W & Tiger Mask IV vs. Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Yujiro Takahashi & Chase Owens
(2) YOSHI-HASHI, Rocky Romero & Barreta vs. Minoru Suzuki (Pancrase MISSION), El Desperado & TAKA Michinoku (K-DOJO)

(3) IWGP Junior Tag Championship Match: [50th Champions] Yoshinobu Kanemaru (FREE) & Taichi vs. [Challengers] Jado & Gedo
~ 1st title defense.

(4) Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano vs. Kenny Omega & Bad Luck Fale
(5) Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson, Ryusuke Taguchi & Ricochet vs. Tetsuya Naito, SANADA (FREE), EVIL & BUSHI

(6) IWGP Tag Championship Match: [74th Champions] Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. [Challengers] Raymond Rowe & Hanson
~ 1st title defense.

(7) NEVER Openweight Championship Match: [15th Champion] Hirooki Goto vs. [Challenger] Zack Sabre Jr.
~ 3rd title defense.

(8) IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match: [76th Champion] Hiromu Takahashi vs. [Challenger] KUSHIDA
~ 3rd title defense.

(9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [65th Champion] Kazuchika Okada vs. [Challenger] Katsuyori Shibata
~ 4th title defense.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Makabe's absence was shorter than I expected too. He only missed the New Japan Cup.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Go War Machine!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I refuse to be moderated by anyone that doesn't recognize the greatness that is Fale.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Go War Machine!

I see two title changes on the card and I think War Machine may be one of them. They were over as hell at the ROH/NJ Korakuen shows. The only thing that makes me doubt the change would be that it's only the 1st defence for two legends.

I think Sabre Jr takes the NEVER title aswell. It's clear they want to push the "look at how many titles this guy has" angle but also Goto's reign has been so loving sub par.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Thrifting Day! posted:

Goto sub par.

No poo poo?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Every time I see Goto in the ring, he is really good, but it also seems like "becoming sub-par" is sort of his gimmick.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Goto doesn't really have a character besides 'good wrestler who's constantly outshone by everyone else'. I like him, but eh. I hope ZSJ wins it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love Goto's moveset, and I love his style of wrestling, and very often his matches. He is perhaps more than any other wrestler, the key example that proves wins and losses matter.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Before Sakura Genesis there's a couple Road to shows from Korakuen that will also be on NJPW World. The second one is headlined by a NEVER trios match.

Road to Sakura Genesis
March 26th 2017 at 5:30 EST/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Tomoyuki Oka vs. Bad Luck Fale
Liger, TMIV, and Hirai Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Iizuka, TAKA, and Desperado)
Ten-Cozy and Togi Makabe vs. War Machine and David Finlay
CHAOS (Goto, Jado, and Gedo) vs. Suzuki-gun (Suzuki, Taichi, and Kanemaru)
CHAOS (Ishii, YTR, and Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Omega, Yujiro, and Chase Owens)
Tana, Juice, Nakanishi, KUSHIDA, and Taguchi vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Yuji Nagata

Road to Sakura Genesis
April 4th 2017 at 5:30 EST/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Liger, and Hirai Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Takashi Iizuka, TAKA Michinoku, and El Desperado)
Yuji Nagata and Tomoyuki Oka vs. Bullet Club ( Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens)
Ten-Cozy and Tiger Mask IV vs. War Machine and David Finlay
CHAOS (Goto, YTR, Jado, and Gedo) vs. Suzuki-gun (MiSu, ZSJ, Taichi, and Kanemaru)
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale)
Juice Robinson and KUSHIDA vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Togi Makabe
NEVER Trios Championship:L.I.J(c) [SANADA, EVIL, and BUSHI] vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Ricochet

Sakura Genesis
April 9th 2018 at 4:00 EST/9:00 BST
Ryogoku Koukigan (Sumo Hall)

Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Liger, and David Finlay vs. Young Lions (Tomoyuki Oka, Kitsuya Kitamura, and Hirai Kawato)
Yuji Nagata, Togi Makabe, Tiger Mask W, and Tiger Mask IV vs. Bullet Club (G.O.D, Yujiro, and Chase Owens)
CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI and RPG Vice) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi, and El Desperado)
IWGP Jr Heavy Tag Championship:Taichi and Yoshinobu Kanemaru(c)(SZKG) vs. Jado and Gedo (CHAOS)
CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega and Bad Luck Fale)
Tana, Juice, Taguchi, and Ricochet vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, BUSHI, and EVIL
IWGP Tag Championship:Ten-Cozy(c) vs. War Machine
NEVER Openweight Championship:Hirooki Goto(c)(CHAOS) vs. Zack Sabre Jr(SZKG)
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship:Hiromu Takahashi(c)(L.I.J) vs. KUSHIDA
IWGP Heavyweight Championship:Kazuchika Okada(c)(CHAOS) vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It struck me earlier today that not only has Tana not won a singles match since Power Struggle last November but that I can't even really remember him hitting the HFF and pinning someone in a multiman lately. I'll have to start checking the 2017 results one by one when I get the chance

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Thrifting Day! posted:

Goto's reign has been so loving sub par.

I just been recently watching NJPW on the reg, but do you think the way cards are typically booked (multi-man paloozas, one or two singles matches near the top) may be a contributing factor to how you feel about the reign?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Do not even ask posted:

I just been recently watching NJPW on the reg, but do you think the way cards are typically booked (multi-man paloozas, one or two singles matches near the top) may be a contributing factor to how you feel about the reign?

Not really. The multi man tags are actually a great way to generate heat and build feuds. The problem is the ones that have involved Goto, he's not played a central or even supporting act in any of them (from memory).

He's just.... there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Notable things Goto has done in multimans since winning the title

1. Got pinned by Juice
2. Got pinned by ZSJ

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thrifting Day! posted:

Not really. The multi man tags are actually a great way to generate heat and build feuds. The problem is the ones that have involved Goto, he's not played a central or even supporting act in any of them (from memory).

He's just.... there.

His first big defense was against Juice and the story of the match was "Let's see if Juice can hang on long enough for Goto to gently caress up." And now Juice is higher in the card. It's the most Goto thing possible.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Venomous posted:

Goto doesn't really have a character besides 'good wrestler who's constantly outshone by everyone else'. I like him, but eh. I hope ZSJ wins it.

I thought his gimmick was "Wrestling Samurai".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Goto hell

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Forceholy posted:

I thought his gimmick was "Wrestling Samurai".

He should go to DDT then, get in on that Samurai Warriors tag match

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Wasn't the story of gotos wrestle Kingdom match that it was going to be his return to glory and then shibata poo poo all over that in an interview?

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 22, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Wasn't the story of gotos wrestle Kingdom match that it was going to be his return to glory and then shibata poo poo all over that in an interview?

I thought that was a work?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Venomous posted:

I thought that was a work?

Yeah, it played pretty directly into the story and ended with Goto getting his big win. For the Neverweight title. 3rd or 4th match from the top.

Goto has lost way too much for one big win to rehab him, especially a big win that really isn't so big like that one. I liked the match, but Goto the choker will not stop being a thing until he wins the big belt, and I don't know that they are ever going to give that to him.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

He's gonna get to the G1 final again and then Naito will destroy him. That's how these things tend to go.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

But then Shibata got beat, so that was like part of the story.

Edit:

Venomous posted:

He's gonna get to the G1 final again and then Naito will destroy him. That's how these things tend to go.

This is definitely going to happen though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm really surprised about the push of Shibata. I don't mind it because I thought Shibatas legend killer gimmick last year was great. I trust NJPW not to gently caress things up here, but I'm just surprised about his career trajectory especially with all the sext stuff coming out.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
the sext stuff didn't get any traction outside of hardcore fan circles and it's not that surprising that he'd get a push the year after he finally signed with the company

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Hypothetical: If you're Kidani, are you happy, sad or indifferent to ROH getting bought by WWE?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So I went on New Japan World and saw a free match, Naito vs. Goto, I was like hey Naito's supposed to be a top dude, right? This might be cool.

30 minutes later, I think I might be a Hirooki Goto mark now.

Also, the way NJPW lights its arenas is kinda strange, are they trying to make it look like the match is outdoors? 'Cause that's kinda the feeling I got from watching it. It's kinda cool. Definitely makes it feel different from WWE.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

VJeff posted:

So I went on New Japan World and saw a free match, Naito vs. Goto, I was like hey Naito's supposed to be a top dude, right? This might be cool.

30 minutes later, I think I might be a Hirooki Goto mark now.

Also, the way NJPW lights its arenas is kinda strange, are they trying to make it look like the match is outdoors? 'Cause that's kinda the feeling I got from watching it. It's kinda cool. Definitely makes it feel different from WWE.

They're trying to make it as sports like as possible

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

Hypothetical: If you're Kidani, are you happy, sad or indifferent to ROH getting bought by WWE?

Indifferent. He was probably already pissed off with Delirious for loving over ACH, and they were going to host shows of their own in the US this year without ROH, so yeah, it doesn't particularly matter to them unless they can scoop up talent that definitely wouldn't be pushed by the WWE like Cheeseburger, ACH, Castle, Daniels, the Bucks, hopefully the Broken Hardys, and so on.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Solus posted:

They're trying to make it as sports like as possible

if that were the case i'd worry about the outside interference and dudes spitting mist before the lighting lol

• Locked thread