Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

So Afzhal Khan got the nomination for Manchester Gorton.

I've no idea what he's like as a politician, but Corbyn and his team really really need to get better at forcing through their preferred candidates. Watson and his allies have no problem with it.

Why would you want to see a candidate imposed on a CLP ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Rupert of Hentzau posted:

Law enforcement agencies are very aware of incidents like the North Hollywood shootout, where two bank robbers in body armour basically shrugged off small-calibre gunfire for 15 minutes until SWAT turned up with assault rifles. Seeing armed police makes me very uncomfortable but for the sort of organised attacks these officers are supposed to deter I'm not going to quibble with them being armed with something that can put down a prepared attacker ASAP.

If this sounds familiar to anyone it's because it was the inspiration for the gunfight in Heat. Based on an earlier film, a telemovie also directed by Michael Mann called LA Takedown, the scene used to be used in training police and probably still is.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Why would you want to see a candidate imposed on a CLP ?

I expect he wants to see someone who shares his politics in charge and is prepared to do so by force if necessary.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'll do a bit of stereotyping/casual racism to counter the deluge that is going to hit the papers tomorrow, why do most male coppers look like white pudgy shaved thumb-heads? Its very a very common observable thing if you look out for it. Not saying they are all like that or anything, I know a copper who has hair and isnt a nazi.

The filth is the natural environment of any angry white bloke too fat and stupid for the army.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

The filth is the natural environment of any angry white bloke too fat and stupid for the army.

Your comment is topical: the policeman that died yesterday in the terrorist attack had been in the army before joining the police.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Your comment is topical: the policeman that died yesterday in the terrorist attack had been in the army before joining the police.
I didn't say people from the army dont join the police. I said people too thick for the army are definitely the sort to go into the police.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
:siren: HMT are pushing up the pension age. :siren:

If youre in your 30s now get set to get the state pension when youre 70. If youre in yoyr 40s youll get it when youre 68. You'll still be able to access your private pension from Age 55.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39352654

Theyre getting rid of the triple lock too. Mr Cridland also recommends:
A new system of carer's leave, allowing older people with caring responsibilities to have time off work
A mid-life "MOT" to help people take decisions about work, health and retirement
Some vulnerable people in their 60s should have access to a means-tested benefit, along the lines of pension credit
There should be no "early access" to the state pension, despite this being raised as a possibility in the interim report
People could defer drawing their pension, taking higher benefits later

THE MAIN THING TO TAKE FROM ALL THIS IS TO MAKE SURE YOU PAY INTO A PRIVATE PENSION. AND NOT JUST MINIMUM CONTRIBUTIONS EITHER. YOU SHOULD PUT ASIDE HALF YOUR AGE PLUS 7WHEN YOU STARTED PAYING INTO THE PENSION AS A PERCENTAGE. SO IF YOU STARTED AT 24 YOU SHOULD PUT 12% OF YOUR PRETAX INCOME INTO YOUR PENSION

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

I didn't say people from the army dont join the police. I said people too thick for the army are definitely the sort to go into the police.

I know. And I'm saying it's topical because the policeman who died yesterday afternoon had been in the army before joining the police.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Christ you're a dickhead.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A thrifty alternative to paying into a pension is to die before you retire.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

THat's all very well and good, but with wages stagnating, especially at the bottom end of the scale, and we just had a higher than expected inflation rise, it's becoming more and more difficult for those even on moderate salaries to do just that.

Company I work for will match+double up to 5% contribution, so I get to put in 5%, but actually am adding 15%, but my wage isn't exactly great, so there's a solid chance that if my wage "progression" follows how it has for the last decade, I will be working through my retirement.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

If youre in your 30s now get set to get the state pension when youre 70. If youre in yoyr 40s youll get it when youre 68. You'll still be able to access your private pension from Age 55.

A new system of carer's leave, allowing older people with caring responsibilities to have time off work
A mid-life "MOT" to help people take decisions about work, health and retirement
Some vulnerable people in their 60s should have access to a means-tested benefit, along the lines of pension credit
There should be no "early access" to the state pension, despite this being raised as a possibility in the interim report

THE MAIN THING TO TAKE FROM ALL THIS IS TO MAKE SURE YOU PAY INTO A PRIVATE PENSION. AND NOT JUST MINIMUM CONTRIBUTIONS EITHER. YOU SHOULD PUT ASIDE HALF YOUR AGE PLUS 7WHEN YOU STARTED PAYING INTO THE PENSION AS A PERCENTAGE. SO IF YOU STARTED AT 24 YOU SHOULD PUT 12% OF YOUR PRETAX INCOME INTO YOUR PENSION

This is great thanks for this financial advise. I'd like to add that if you have the opportunity to join a final salary pension scheme you should take it.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Good luck in your interview

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Breath Ray posted:

Well fuckity.

Is that going to be enough, though? If you're on a low income even a long period of savings seems like it'd have a fairly low weight by end-of-life.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Breath ray does that 12% figure include your employer's contribution?

And is it gross salary or net?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Breath ray does that 12% figure include your employer's contribution?

And is it gross salary or net?

No and net. But don't forget that you get tax relief on what you pay in so the higher tax bracket you're in the more tax you avoid :peanut:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

No and net. But don't forget that you get tax relief on what you pay in so the higher tax bracket you're in the more tax you avoid :peanut:

Hmm I'm putting in 9.6% but combined with my employer's contribution it's a beefy 31%.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

that's pretty beefy

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

spectralent posted:

Well fuckity.

Is that going to be enough, though? If you're on a low income even a long period of savings seems like it'd have a fairly low weight by end-of-life.

I think Cridland mentions that. Not sure why there are two govt reports at the same time on this important issue though.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm I'm putting in 9.6% but combined with my employer's contribution it's a beefy 31%.

Very happy for you and as long as you started the pension when you were 19 you're bang on track.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

When you say private, do you mean as an add on to the work place pension as well??

For example I am currently paying into an NHS pension, would it be wise to take an additional one out?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Looke posted:

When you say private, do you mean as an add on to the work place pension as well??

For example I am currently paying into an NHS pension, would it be wise to take an additional one out?

No you just need one. Private as opposed to state pension.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
However if you're anything like me you'll probably have a few pensions rattling around from your paper round and what have you. Well the good news is HMT has got you covered. They're doing a big IT project :yeah: on a pensions dashboard where you'll get all your pensions data visualised in one handy online place. With £800m in unclaimed pensions recently recorded it's good news for all of us.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Glad Cannon & Ball are having a good morning.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i put 10% of my gross salary into my pension

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jose posted:

i put 10% of my gross salary into my pension

how gross is your salary?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

Very happy for you and as long as you started the pension when you were 19 you're bang on track.

Wait, so I need to put in half my age as a percentage, ignoring my employers contributions?
So I need to start putting in 15% right now?
I genuinely think losing 10% of my income right now would mean I go from having an almost comfortable lifestyle, to living like a student, but without the drinking.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Breath Ray posted:

Nah, just prepare to die no later than your 60s. Live an unhealthy life, smoke, drink, shoot up, eat lots of pies, don't exercise, job done. That's proper goon life advice, none of this pension bollocks.

Oberleutnant posted:

Christ you're a dickhead.

This is hardly news.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I save at least £200 a month, more if I can. I have no idea if I am in any private schemes, because I am so disillusioned by the inescapable cage of society that engaging with it outside of my existing rut makes me wish I was loving dead so I don't have to bother.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Breath Ray posted:

No you just need one. Private as opposed to state pension.

ok cool i get you, don't really know much about them pension things

Nenonen posted:

how gross is your salary?

if it's anything like him, competely

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

spectralent posted:

Well fuckity.

Most of the calculations are based on getting to quite a large pot by the time you start converting it into a lump sum and annuity, and assume around 50% of what you're currently on as your target income - it really all depends on when you want to actually retire and how much you really can get away with.

For example, you want £10k per year from retirement, a sample pension pot would be around £200k by the time you want to retire.
If you retire at 55, you wont get your basic pension of £6200 per year til your retirement age of 67/68, so you'd be on £10k from 55-67, then £16.2k after that.

Now, most people would have paid off their mortgages and not really need the large incomes - as long as you lower expectations and needs, there's nothing to stop you retiring slightly later or not drawing as much as usual til you hit the old age pension requirement.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Not sure if this was covered here yesterday (I don't think so but I skimmed a few posts) but: Donald Trump Jr is as much of a prick as his brainless father:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/844594059679334400

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Don't Lol me posted:

Now, most people would have paid off their mortgages and not really need the large incomes - as long as you lower expectations and needs, there's nothing to stop you retiring slightly later or not drawing as much as usual til you hit the old age pension requirement.
I'm not sure this is true. Increasing numbers of people won't have paid off their mortgage because the average age of a first-time buyer is 37 and rising, and home ownership is falling. Large numbers of people are going to either be paying a mortgage into their 60s and 70s or else paying rent for the rest of their lives.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i like living in newcastle nobody does terror attacks here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Nah, just prepare to die no later than your 60s. Live an unhealthy life, smoke, drink, shoot up, eat lots of pies, don't exercise, job done. That's proper goon life advice, none of this pension bollocks.
This is sadly more the more practical advice for most people below the median income or in gig economy hell.

Or maybe happily, a short life filled with excess might be more desirable than a long austere one if those are your only two options.

Statistics are scary.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Zephro posted:

I'm not sure this is true. Increasing numbers of people won't have paid off their mortgage because the average age of a first-time buyer is 37 and rising, and home ownership is falling. Large numbers of people are going to either be paying a mortgage into their 60s and 70s or else paying rent for the rest of their lives.

Ah, true - anyone renting would really need to consider also what happens if you manage to keep going past your annuity period and adjust accordingly.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

living in newcastle is terror enough tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Looke posted:

living in newcastle is terror enough tbh

newcastle is really good

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/statu...2680%23lastpost

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've never seen his many police out on the roads. They must have every one out patrolling constantly. Felt very odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Thank god leaving the EU will solve all of this :)

• Locked thread