Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Asehujiko posted:

How does gen7 pace out it's new pokemons? I didn't really enjoy having two boxes full of old pokemon before the second gym and only 10-12 new ones in gen 6.

I'd say it's literally the worst aspect of the game. And outside of legendaries/Ultra Beasts, only a handful of the new Pokemon are any good. (e: as far as competitions and the postgame. Standard "you can win the main game with basically any team" rule applies.
It only just now occurs to me that my final In Game Team which I beat the E4 with only had one new Pokemon, the Dirt Horse.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dr. Fetus posted:

It got worse. You get to see Kanto mobs more often, but most of the new mons got shunted to being really rare encounters for some reason.

It's not that bad, the worst encounters are the new water types but everything else it pretty well distributed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OgreNoah posted:

I still don't know how people even use Tiers. The online competitions don't care even a tiny bit about them. Do people go on Smogon to set up tiered matches?

This is why you should take a lot of the EV spreads they have listed on smogon with a grain of salt, especially when they start talking about odd EV levels to be able to outspeed one or two specific threats or go from 2HKO to 3HKO against a specific attack from a specific mon. Whenever I read a set-up description and it has the phrase "...versus the rest of the tier", I immediately ignore it and just go with my gut.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Oh :( I'm not really interested in another round of having a team each of every kind of pidgey, rattata and caterpie analogue again.

The thing that sapped my will to play X the most was my first three pokemon being zigzagoon, pidgey and weedle, then running into Literally Viridian Forest and finding a pikachu and a caterpie. My first catch of a pokemon new in the gen shouldn't be sent to the pc because the party is full of decades old cruft.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That is why BW was the best mainline title in the series. :patriot:

Never would have bothered with the series after Gen IV if Unova hadn't given us all those new guys to mess around with. Much as I enjoyed SuMn, I am totally fine with them waiting longer to get an all-new Pokedex together for Gen 8.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

yeah, this game has so many cool new pokemon that only appear in a single area with a low encounter chance. I recommend having a friend trade you a level 1 version of a new pokemon every so often, or a bunch right at the beginning.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

AlternateNu posted:

This is why you should take a lot of the EV spreads they have listed on smogon with a grain of salt, especially when they start talking about odd EV levels to be able to outspeed one or two specific threats or go from 2HKO to 3HKO against a specific attack from a specific mon. Whenever I read a set-up description and it has the phrase "...versus the rest of the tier", I immediately ignore it and just go with my gut.

It's only if you think that specific Pokemon will really be a problem to your team. If you think they won't be an issue, or that the rest of your team can handle them, you can probably do some adjustments yourself. Smogon's analyses are really just guidelines in the end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

That is why BW was the best mainline title in the series. :patriot:

Never would have bothered with the series after Gen IV if Unova hadn't given us all those new guys to mess around with. Much as I enjoyed SuMn, I am totally fine with them waiting longer to get an all-new Pokedex together for Gen 8.

Yeah, while I like the old guys I would prefer it if they went back to how Black & White did it (for the main game you encounter only new Pokemon, then in the post-game stuff from the older generations starts appearing) it just helps give things a bit more variety (though by the time I got to the Elite 4 in Pokemon Moon my team consisted of mostly Alolan Pokemon plus a Kadabra and a Raichu, whereas in Pokemon Y I ended up with mainly Gen 1 Pokemon aside from my Starter and that game's (story related) Legendary).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 23, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I ended up with five out of six team members being new in gen 7, and the sixth had previously been a version exclusive to versions I didn't have. I kinda had to work at it, though.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Before B/W came out, I thought they were just gonna drop all the old gen pokemon entirely. Which seemed like it could be fun. But then I saw the trash bag pokemon. And the new pokeball based pokemon...

Victini was a good promo trick though. And they definitely got me when they had that t.v. show reveal for it.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I rotated two full teams because of the exp share being so OP. My favourite new Pokemon definitely is Toucannon. Not many people expect a Skill Link Rock Blast or Miracle Seed, that or Beak Blast even though it will be NVE to get the burn status.

Wasn't a fan of Volkavot or whatever the bug was not evolving until I got to a specific cave near the end of the game. Wishiwashi and Toucannon were my new gen MVPs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gently caress you if you don't like Trubbish.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sun and Moon do have a bad habit of giving the new pokemon low encounter rates, but it does have a really nice trend of making old pokemon that'd usually be found late-game show up earlier or making rare pokemon more common.

You can get a Misdreavus in route 2, a Vullaby in route 3, and a Bagon before you even leave the first island if you really want to have one. It got me to use a couple of pokemon I like a lot but have never really had the chance to use before. Which I appreciate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bongo Bill posted:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sun and Moon do have a bad habit of giving the new pokemon low encounter rates, but it does have a really nice trend of making old pokemon that'd usually be found late-game show up earlier or making rare pokemon more common.

You can get a Misdreavus in route 2, a Vullaby in route 3, and a Bagon before you even leave the first island if you really want to have one. It got me to use a couple of pokemon I like a lot but have never really had the chance to use before. Which I appreciate.

Unfortunately a lot of those old late route Pokémon only evolve at stupid high levels.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If I remember right, X & Y had a problem with there being too many old Pokemon as well (I don't even think it had it's own basic bird Pokemon, though to be fair neither did Gen 2 unless you want to count HootHoot). Hell, the Starters in those games (or any Gen 6 Pokemon that I can think of) don't even get their own Mega Evolutions.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Is it better to have Stealth Rock or Spikes?

I've raised up a nice Ferrothorn to be my opener for singles battle, and she can use both. Right now she has Spikes / Gyro Ball / Protect / Leech Seed. Leech Seed and Protect keep her healthy while I fire off a few sets of Spikes, but I'm wondering if it might be better to have SR instead. Any pros / cons between the two?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've raised up a nice Ferrothorn to be my opener for singles battle, and she can use both. Right now she has Spikes / Gyro Ball / Protect / Leech Seed. Leech Seed and Protect keep her healthy while I fire off a few sets of Spikes, but I'm wondering if it might be better to have SR instead. Any pros / cons between the two?

Spikes does piddly damage but can be stacked to do more. Stealth Rock is a single layer that depends on how weak/resistant the enemy is to Rock-type attacks. Spikes is also ignored by Levitating/flying mons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Stealth Rock is also far lower risk, and is fully effective after using it for 1 turn. Spikes just takes way too much time to set up to be worth it. Also in the rare cases you run into Rapid Spin or Defog, Spikes will have to be used 3 times again, while Stealth Rock can easily be re-set after 1 turn. Both are nice, but if you have to stick with one, pick Stealth Rock.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Larryb posted:

If I remember right, X & Y had a problem with there being too many old Pokemon as well (I don't even think it had it's own basic bird Pokemon, though to be fair neither did Gen 2 unless you want to count HootHoot). Hell, the Starters in those games (or any Gen 6 Pokemon that I can think of) don't even get their own Mega Evolutions.

X&Y's route 1 bird was the Talonflame line, along with Bunnelby and Diggersby representing the low-level rodent encounter. As for the mega formes, it was definitely a case of pandering towards Gen 1 nostalgia with them being the only starters to get mega stones at the time (you also get one of the three for free in the 3rd town).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They're really apples and oranges. Spikes aren't really a standalone element the way stealth rock is, they're just there so you can punish people who try to chip away at ferrothorn or skarmory.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bongo Bill posted:

Trubbish is trash :colbert:

:dadjoke:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Funny how the less you like trubbish, the more you are like trubbish.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's not that bad, the worst encounters are the new water types but everything else it pretty well distributed.

Dhelmise isn't a Water-type

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

notoriousman posted:

As for the mega formes, it was definitely a case of pandering towards Gen 1 nostalgia with them being the only starters to get mega stones at the time

Mega Blaziken was introduced in XY as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

notoriousman posted:

X&Y's route 1 bird was the Talonflame line, along with Bunnelby and Diggersby representing the low-level rodent encounter. As for the mega formes, it was definitely a case of pandering towards Gen 1 nostalgia with them being the only starters to get mega stones at the time (you also get one of the three for free in the 3rd town).

Oh right, Fletchling was introduced in Gen 6. It's just that since Fly is near vital for getting around efficiently later in the games I typically just catch the first bird I see, which in Pokemon Y just happened to be a Pidgey (also I can't remember if I ever actually encountered a Fletchling in my playthrough aside from trainer battles).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 23, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

It seems that for every person who complains that they're sick of the old dudes and want to see more of the new ones, especially in the early routes, there's a very vocal group of folks who think just the opposite. There was a lot of bitter complaining about Black and White only having new Pokemon until the post game. Perhaps that's why Gamefreak doesn't do that anymore.

Personally, I'm with the first group. One of the best things about Black and White was that you only found Unova dudes until you beat the game. When I stepped out of the grass for the first time, I was guaranteed to find a Pokemon I had never caught before. I haven't had that sense of adventure since Gen 1. It was great. Give me more new dudes. I'll track down old dudes my myself if I really want to use them. It's good to use new things. You might find your new favorite Pokemon if you give them a chance!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like how XY handled it, even moreso now that we have Pokemon Bank. There's a glut of new-gen Pokemon in each area, but there's the option of catching two or three classics, too. And they were all fan favorites, for the most part!

But please bring back Pokemon Radar

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Silver Falcon posted:

It seems that for every person who complains that they're sick of the old dudes and want to see more of the new ones, especially in the early routes, there's a very vocal group of folks who think just the opposite. There was a lot of bitter complaining about Black and White only having new Pokemon until the post game. Perhaps that's why Gamefreak doesn't do that anymore.

Personally, I'm with the first group. One of the best things about Black and White was that you only found Unova dudes until you beat the game. When I stepped out of the grass for the first time, I was guaranteed to find a Pokemon I had never caught before. I haven't had that sense of adventure since Gen 1. It was great. Give me more new dudes. I'll track down old dudes my myself if I really want to use them. It's good to use new things. You might find your new favorite Pokemon if you give them a chance!

Before the advent of Bank, I was in group II: I was there to make new friends and enslave them for my amusement in the cockfighting ring. I didn't much care that I had seen them before. After I got a living dex in place in Bank, I'm more interested to get ones that are new. I did most of my runthrough of Sun before Bank access, and half my team was from previous generations and I dutifully caught everything catchable through the entire game, even the 1% SOS Salamence.

I did Moon after Bank Access and only caught the legendaries I was missing, pretty much. My team was 100% new. Since Moon was mostly a rush to get Lunala and my second Cosmog to replace the one I evolved into Cosmoem, though, I think I had more fun in Sun. I definitely had more hours logged in Sun.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Despite the fact that I am a gen 1 douchebag and set up all of my online battle teams to include snorlax and or dragonite, I would much rather new games released only include new Pokémon. It's fun to see new things. Once I get to the battle igloo or whatever I can go find a snorlax to use but for the story and stuff I'd rather have new adventures with new friends.

To be fair I can just choose not to use old Pokémon (which I do) so I guess it's fine if they include them so everyone wins!

But if you use old Pokémon on a new gen game you're my enemy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

using new pokemon rules as long as those new pokemon include murkrow and dedenne

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Despite the fact that I am a gen 1 douchebag and set up all of my online battle teams to include snorlax and or dragonite, I would much rather new games released only include new Pokémon. It's fun to see new things. Once I get to the battle igloo or whatever I can go find a snorlax to use but for the story and stuff I'd rather have new adventures with new friends.

To be fair I can just choose not to use old Pokémon (which I do) so I guess it's fine if they include them so everyone wins!

But if you use old Pokémon on a new gen game you're my enemy.

My WTed Garchomp pretty much soloed the Alola Elite 4. Tbf, Garchomp is a pretty Alolan pokemon, being all sharky.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You're the worst

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Best recent GTS trade? Cosmoem for a Vanilluxe. I don't know how I got so lucky there but I wasn't about to pass that up. My living Dex is so close! I just need a few more...
  • Articuno
  • Kingdra
  • Rhyperior
  • Gliscor
  • Type: Null
  • Cosmog
(And catch Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini, but that's on me)

I'd love some help if anyone has spares of any of those guys or if anyone would be interested in what I currently have (I have only bred for living Dex, not battling though).

FC is: 4141 4330 3122
IGN: Mike

Edit: Realized I had items for evolving those three in my various other Pokemon games so I don't need a trade for them.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 23, 2017

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Neitherman posted:

Best recent GTS trade? Cosmoem for a Vanilluxe. I don't know how I got so lucky there but I wasn't about to pass that up. My living Dex is so close! I just need a few more...
  • Articuno
  • Kingdra
  • Rhyperior
  • Gliscor
  • Type: Null
  • Cosmog
(And catch Tapu Bulu and Tapu Fini, but that's on me)

I'd love some help if anyone has spares of any of those guys or if anyone would be interested in what I currently have (I have only bred for living Dex, not battling though).

FC is: 4141 4330 3122

I am 99% sure I have an extra Cosmog. I will be home in roughly 6 hours from the time of this post if you're looking to catch me online. I desire in return:
-Something shiny you have no use for
-Something with your Heavy Ball attached, if you haven't used it yet
-Something IN a Heavy Ball that I don't already have in a Heavy Ball
-Or just any rat/bird, and one day I will call upon you to with a favor.

I may also have an extra Articuno, but I'm less confident about that. If I do, you can have it as well.

e: Also you need to post your in-game name, because I 100% ignore trade requests from randoms. (Random Kid, you got nothing I want, and like hell I'm going through the hell of trying to figure out if I have something you want and am willing to give up!)

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 23, 2017

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

I am 99% sure I have an extra Cosmog. I will be home in roughly 6 hours from the time of this post if you're looking to catch me online. I desire in return:
-Something shiny you have no use for
-Something with your Heavy Ball attached, if you haven't used it yet
-Something IN a Heavy Ball that I don't already have in a Heavy Ball
-Or just any rat/bird, and one day I will call upon you to with a favor.

I may also have an extra Articuno, but I'm less confident about that. If I do, you can have it as well.

e: Also you need to post your in-game name, because I 100% ignore trade requests from randoms. (Random Kid, you got nothing I want, and like hell I'm going through the hell of trying to figure out if I have something you want and am willing to give up!)

OH! That's what the "ign" thing is all about. Mine is Mike. I have a shiny Torkoal and a shiny Victreebel that I wouldn't mind trading away. Let me look up this Heavy Ball thing though. Maybe I could grant your desire there as well.

Edit: I never grabbed the Heavy Ball on my initial playthrough of Sun and it doesn't seem it would be very useful in catching the Tapus so I am willing to part with it if you so desire!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah, you're the guy who wanted a Rhyperior, right? What I really need is a Diancie, if you've got a spare (don't give a poo poo about the Megastone) but I'll be happy to trade for either of the shinies if they've got nicknames.

FC: 3926-8948-4855
IGN: Rangpur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Oh yeah, you're the guy who wanted a Rhyperior, right? What I really need is a Diancie, if you've got a spare (don't give a poo poo about the Megastone) but I'll be happy to trade for either of the shinies if they've got nicknames.

FC: 3926-8948-4855
IGN: Rangpur

Unfortunately neither shiny is nicknamed. I also realized I had a Protector in my Pokemon X so I'm just gonna collect a Rhyhorn and evolve it myself. Thanks though!