Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

coyo7e posted:

I hope it doesn't take you much time to try and come off as edgy because I hate to break it to you - but you're wasting it

I fail to see what's "edgy" about my assessment?

Very few conflicts in the plot seem to be the result of some external circumstance. If there's a thesis, it's probably that ambition is bad and that if magic existed, people would tear reality apart. Even the well-intentioned characters insanely overstep to accomplish their goals, and mostly leave things worse than they started. Comparisons to samsara are apt.

I'm sure whatever Julia & co. come up with to deal with Reynard will set up whatever the primary conflict is for season 3. Not as a joke, just actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xealot posted:

I fail to see what's "edgy" about my assessment?

Very few conflicts in the plot seem to be the result of some external circumstance. If there's a thesis, it's probably that ambition is bad and that if magic existed, people would tear reality apart. Even the well-intentioned characters insanely overstep to accomplish their goals, and mostly leave things worse than they started. Comparisons to samsara are apt.

I'm sure whatever Julia & co. come up with to deal with Reynard will set up whatever the primary conflict is for season 3. Not as a joke, just actually.

The "edgy" thing that will insult people in your post is that by saying that "everything they experience is their own fault" you're not only implying that they're responsible for the initial problem of the Beast targeting them and Jane loving with them which started this whole chain of events (which they're absolutely not) but you're also basically saying that its Julia's fault she got raped.

And while I'm willing to grant that wasn't your intent and understand what you're saying about "bad decisions having consequences" its still kind of just a sideways move to "it was a bad decision for her to go down that street dressed like that."

Again, I'm not saying you intended that, but it is the natural consequence of "all their bad stuff is the fault of their own actions." Plus it isn't the first time its come up in here.

We've got a story about a traumatized rape victim so its going to be a touchy subject.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

its still kind of just a sideways move to "it was a bad decision for her to go down that street dressed like that."

Oh, yeah, no. That wasn't what I was going for. Julia's made some self-destructive choices, but I don't think a sane person would hold her accountable for being sexually assaulted by a false god who she summoned to cure cancer.

I was thinking more, "maybe she shouldn't have stolen Marina's poo poo and gotten Kady's mom killed." Or, "maybe the Beast was a poor choice of ally." Or, "using Marina as bait was a very lovely thing to do."

I might be misremembering the first season, though, because I thought Alice's seance *was* how they initially got the Beast's attention. Jane created a time loop, so by the 40th recursion it had become a predestined conflict, but I was under the impression that the seance happened in the first iteration of the loop, and that's why the Beast was interested in Quentin et al instead of any other given Brakebills students.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xealot posted:

Oh, yeah, no. That wasn't what I was going for. Julia's made some self-destructive choices, but I don't think a sane person would hold her accountable for being sexually assaulted by a false god who she summoned to cure cancer.

I was thinking more, "maybe she shouldn't have stolen Marina's poo poo and gotten Kady's mom killed." Or, "maybe the Beast was a poor choice of ally." Or, "using Marina as bait was a very lovely thing to do."
Yeah, like I said, I didn't think you were actually hiding that inside your comments. I'm sure you were speaking in a broad sense and the whole rape thing just got lost in the mix. But I'm pretty sure that's what the "edgy" comment was about.

There's no doubt Julia (and the rest) have made a whole host of bad decisions that have led to many of their problems. Obviously that doesn't preclude basic empathy that allows us to say none of them deserved to be raped or abused (Penny's really been through the ringer) or die.

But again, I'd offer that really they're all just the victims of magic wielding puppet masters like Jane Chatwin.

Xealot posted:

I might be misremembering the first season, though, because I thought Alice's seance *was* how they initially got the Beast's attention. Jane created a time loop, so by the 40th recursion it had become a predestined conflict, but I was under the impression that the seance happened in the first iteration of the loop, and that's why the Beast was interested in Quentin et al instead of any other given Brakebills students.

Penny was being targeted by the Beast for years prior to Brakesbill, although that may have been less about Penny and more about the Beast targeting travelers. And the seance only happened because Jane gave Quentin the key to it and Alice noticed. So both point to it all being the Beast and Jane loving with them from the very start.

I don't know how it all started but I imagine that get swept away as Narnia-like "fate" that they always had to save Fillory. But the whole message of the show is basically that what is presented as whimsy and fantasy is usually just an rear end in a top hat like Jane loving with people.

So the more likely answer IMO is that Jane needed someone to stop her brother and these kids got drafted.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

So the more likely answer IMO is that Jane needed someone to stop her brother and these kids got drafted.

Which confuses me, because they're not...you know, very good. Alice and Julia seem like the more competent magicians of the group. And given that adult Jane is the time-traveling witch antagonist from the Fillory books, she probably could've gone after her brother at a time when he wasn't a near-godlike 12-fingered super wizard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well they did kind of "lampshade" the kids not being very good at the start of the series by having Jane and the Dean talk about it was too early and they weren't nearly ready but they had no choice. And they kept talking Quentin up like he was full of potential and just wasn't meeting it. Alice and Julia are obviously good and Penny is a traveler and psychic which is rare. Eliot ends up High King and him and Margo don't seem bad, just distracted by their behavior. And maybe its just that these kids all lined up right with their age and personalities or something.

Or maybe Jane just sucks and picked a lame team. Because the thing they keep reminding us of is just because you're magic doesn't mean you don't suck. And Jane didn't even know enough not to get locked alone in a basement with The Beast.

I thought her power wasn't time travel but a kind of "reset" power like the one Julia and her friends have. That Jane could go back to the point when the kids join Brakesbills and start the loop over but she doesn't get to bounce around in time like HG Wells or Doctor Who. Or maybe there's some paradox to going back and doing something that would stop her from going back in the first place or something? Some magic nonsense.

I really don't try and think too much about this stuff. Even if magic and time travel stuff made any sense or followed rational rules (which it doesn't) this show isn't really working very hard at that stuff and is more focused on dirty jokes. I'm not going to take the show more seriously than the show takes itself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it my feed or are the commercial breaks really abrupt tonight?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

muscles like this! posted:

Is it my feed or are the commercial breaks really abrupt tonight?

I'm watching on Charter Cable from St Louis and, yeah, it seems a second or so early, yeah.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh poo poo, I must've missed that part with the shade last week.

She better start bursting into showtunes if she keeps dancing around like that - it's extraordinarily similar to how the beast moves.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shadless Julia is both awesome and terrifying.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Not a bad episode. I liked the angler. But the teaser for next week? :aaaaa: :fap:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is shade

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I usually watch this show to oogle Olivia Taylor Dudley but man, Stella Maeve is really looking fine as gently caress.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is shade
It's what the beast offered to remove/tweak so Julia wouldn't care about the rape. It's sorta your soul.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

coyo7e posted:

It's what the beast offered to remove/tweak so Julia wouldn't care about the rape. It's sorta your soul.

What does this mean in magician land? What does a soul do? Does everyone have one or just magicians?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

It sounds like how souls worked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Characters get on fine without them, but they suddenly don't give a poo poo and have no empathy or shame.

Edit: Though, I guess on Buffy, the implication was that the soul was someone's "true essence," and the soulless husk was actually some kind of unnerving simulacrum of the actual person. Maybe that's where they'll go with it.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 16, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It was pretty similar on Supernatural when Sam lost his soul. He was still 'Sam' with all his memories and such, but he was 100% amoral, completely lacking in empathy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The way the Beast presented it to Julia was that if he took away her shade she'd lose all the pain and guilt she was struggling with. And she rejected it because it would mean losing empathy and kindness and stuff like that like The Beast.

So it seems to basically be your conscience.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

It was pretty similar on Supernatural when Sam lost his soul. He was still 'Sam' with all his memories and such, but he was 100% amoral, completely lacking in empathy.

That seems fair -- it's the same person running both this show and that season of Supernatural.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
This second season is amazing!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I usually watch this show to oogle Olivia Taylor Dudley but man, Stella Maeve is really looking fine as gently caress.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oof, Margot not so much with the singing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"Why are you in here?"
"I killed trees."
"Seriously?"
"Trees that could talk."
"They have those here?"
"Not anymore."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The more ridiculous this show gets, the more I love it. At this point they haven't touched on anything at all from the books in several episodes, and I'm completely fine with that.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Of course the show can just do Les Mis for a good 4-5 minutes. To quote the Dean "Why not?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Better musical episode than The Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tiggum posted:

Better musical episode than The Flash.

For serious.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Stella Maeve is so much better this season.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
At this point I'm pretty happy Eliot acts/looks little like his book counterpart as Hale Appleman is a treasure.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Syfy must feel confident in their viewership and sponsors if they let 'oval office' drop uncensored.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I didn't know if I missed our not, was Margot forbidden from saying what deal she struck?

Seems to me she should have said right out that the only way to refill the wellspring was to give up the baby.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Syfy must feel confident in their viewership and sponsors if they let 'oval office' drop uncensored.
The censoring is pretty half assed anyway. It's like they choose to clip only the 'c' in 'gently caress' for example.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bull3964 posted:

One thing I didn't know if I missed our not, was Margot forbidden from saying what deal she struck?

Seems to me she should have said right out that the only way to refill the wellspring was to give up the baby.
She should have, but it's pretty understandable that she's reluctant to do so.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think she was going to tell Fen originally but immediately changed her mind and took a yes as rear end-covering. Her heart was with Eliot but Eliots heart was in his dick which was in or on the dilf king at the time.

I don't think her bargain will go over well. If Margot gets in trouble please send her to the hogwarts jail with Julia tia.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
The fairy bargain thing hit me as being right out of Jonathan Strange And Mister Norrell, which was also given a pretty decent adaptation by the BBC last year. I think it might also be on US netflix?

Either way, well worth checking out. It's another +wizards one, this time set in Georgian England. Think Vanity Fair but +wizards.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Moogulus Caesar posted:

The fairy bargain thing hit me as being right out of Jonathan Strange And Mister Norrell, which was also given a pretty decent adaptation by the BBC last year. I think it might also be on US netflix?

Either way, well worth checking out. It's another +wizards one, this time set in Georgian England. Think Vanity Fair but +wizards.

Guy who did that is adapting The War Of The Worlds. Plus BBC's adapting The City and The City, and His Dark Materials. Good times for fantasy / sci-fi these days.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I hope The City and The City turns out good. I'm surprised Mieville is even letting them adapt it. I know it will never happen, and I'm not sure it ever could, but I want to see Bas-Lag so much.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Moogulus Caesar posted:

Fairy bargains, and for that matter the desiring human babies is very common in old fairy folklore.

finna udders
Jan 28, 2005

mu
Oh right, sorry, I forgot that it occurred to me when someone mentioned that perhaps Margo was prohibited from mentioning the deal as part of the conditions - this was the specific part which is done really well in Jonathan Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those grapes died for nothing!