Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
ONS published adult suicide statistics by profession for the last 5 years earlier this week and hanging is far and away the most popular method of suicide in the UK. Men also kill themselves substantially more often than women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

I think at some we will need an honest discussion about liberalising suicide tbh.

Suicide for liberals should be encouraged.

(If you feel suicidal you should go talk to someone, either a friend or something like the Samaritans, and you should also arrange to see your GP as soon as possible so you can get the medical help you need. If you feel really suicidal and are actually contemplating doing it, the guidance suggests you should call 999.)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

J_RBG posted:

Something quite weird and ghoulish in presenting the wide range of nationalities represented among the victims of an atrocity as a positive of that atrocity imho, the lives of foreigners being only worthy of our attention by being smashed into by a car, and even then their existence here is thanks to the benevolent virtue of our beloved English capital

I think we ought to use this opportunity to take some pride in our capital's wide, well maintained pavements.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

ONS published adult suicide statistics by profession for the last 5 years earlier this week and hanging is far and away the most popular method of suicide in the UK. Men also kill themselves substantially more often than women
It's also a terrible way to die unless you choose the correct measured drop for your weight.

However you can find scientifically derived drop tables on those awful pro-suicide websites that the papers warned me about, such as the British Home Office archives.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

There's a way to commit suicide that does cost the state. :jihad:

Going to prison also costs the state and includes free meals and shelter. The proportion of women and the over-50s in prisons is rising, it's going to be the new Old People's Home.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Suicide is kinda liberalised, but in the worst kind of way. It's legal unless you're so ill that you need someone to help. Unless you're royalty.

I think they pumped Edward VII with enough morphine to kill an elephant when it was his time to shuffle off, apparently partly motivated by a desire for the death to be reported in the morning edition of the Times.

The Graun did a Long Read on royal death and succession just recently.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

It's also a terrible way to die unless you choose the correct measured drop for your weight.

However you can find scientifically derived drop tables on those awful pro-suicide websites that the papers warned me about, such as the British Home Office archives.

Think most people doing it are choking themselves as opposed to finding something that can snap their neck without popping the head off

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oberleutnant posted:

I think they pumped Edward VII with enough morphine to kill an elephant when it was his time to shuffle off, apparently partly motivated by a desire for the death to be reported in the morning edition of the Times.

The Graun did a Long Read on royal death and succession just recently.

I think that was mentioned in the recent Guardian article about what will happen when the Queens dies, London Calling or something like that.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Why on earth would anybody have that many sep funnels set up at once and why do only one or two of them seem to contain biphasic mixtures?

I don't think the person who set up that shot was a very good practical chemist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

I thought that was George V. He was speedballed with morphine and cocaine until his heart stopped. I remember the bit about the morning papers though.

I'm torn between lethal injections for aristocrats being a good thing and it being unfair that terminally ill proles aren't afforded the same right to die.

Jose posted:

Think most people doing it are choking themselves as opposed to finding something that can snap their neck without popping the head off
Might explain why there's more men doing it. :fap:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm seriously considering using my savings to buy a bunch of gold in anticipation of Brexit, because I think the pound it going to spiral. I have no experience doing this. Good/bad idea?
If pounds become worthless what are you going to cash it out in?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Oberleutnant posted:

Sounds like a splendid initiative, if the Times could arrange to do that sort of journalism more often I'd subscribe to their website without hesitation.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I thought that was George V
Might well have been!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the perpetrator of the Westminster attacks was an ISIS affiliate and convict. And a man from Utah was killed. What happens now?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Grouchio posted:

So the perpetrator of the Westminster attacks was an ISIS affiliate and convict. And a man from Utah was killed. What happens now?

Article 50.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jBrereton posted:

If pounds become worthless what are you going to cash it out in?

Doesn't matter, the value has been protected. Say the pound tanks to gently caress all, I'll get a lot more pounds back than I bought it for, but I'll still have the same amount of money in actual purchasing power.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

ThomasPaine posted:

So I'm seriously considering using my savings to buy a bunch of gold in anticipation of Brexit, because I think the pound it going to spiral. I have no experience doing this. Good/bad idea?

It's a pretty terrible one TBH. You can potentially get into gold futures instead, but a still better idea would be to buy index fund stocks in dollars, you get your currency speculation and you can actually make some money on the stocks too!

Or you know don't ask about financial advice on comedy forums. But the above will almost certainly be better than buying shitload of gold, particularly physical gold.

e: Or if you really want to there's another subforum for it with lots of people giving each other financial advice, so maybe ask there.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 23, 2017

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ThomasPaine posted:

would you like to elaborate.

Cerv posted:

ffs don't ask a comedy internet forum for advice on currency speculation

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Theresa May should get a map of the Middle East (minus Israel and Saudi Arabia), blindfold herself and then throw a dart at it. Whatever country that dart lands on, we invade them. Could even broadcast this on a Saturday night on ITV. Get 50 minutes of adverts and vignettes of May practising throwing a dart before the big act itself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Theresa May should get a map of the Middle East (minus Israel and Saudi Arabia), blindfold herself and then throw a dart at it. Whatever country that dart lands on, we invade them. Could even broadcast this on a Saturday night on ITV. Get 50 minutes of adverts and vignettes of May practising throwing a dart before the big act itself.

can't we just invade saudi arabia instead its by far the most deserving of anywhere in the middle east

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh, that's a beautiful shot, I do believe it's a... yes, it's a triple Jordan. TRIPLE JORDAN, ladies and gents. Well, I wouldn't like to be in Al-Mafraq tonight.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 23, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Financial advice on dying internet comedy forums and all, but goldbuggery is never a sound strategy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Spend the money on karate lessons and a locksmith qualification + tools so when society collapses you can take the gold from other people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Canned food and shotguns is the usual investment advice for social collapse.

Or bunkers. :tito: (Why is there no :hoxha:)

e:
:heysexy:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

That's actually a traditional British method used against Indians who looked at the Empire funny.

To be fair, we got it from the Mughals, we didn't make it up ourselves. We were trying to be ~culturally sensitive~!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Vaporizing the body and scattering the limbs to make both the traditional Muslim and Hindu burial rites impossible is about what you'd expect from British cultural sensitivity.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

For a sketch writer Quentin Letts is a loving terrible writer:

quote:

"I work in an office under Big Ben. It offers a fine view normally - but yesterday a view of death, a vile vista of a violence we might wish to call medieval, but is sadly all too 21st Century. Normality can be snuffed out in seconds.

[...]

The police reaction had been fast. The men who fired the shots conducted themselves tidily, without melodrama, certainly without any triumph. One policeman was down. Almost at once, medical attention was given, both to the fallen policeman and the attacker. How charitable we are. How Christian we are."

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

A serious furrowing of brows

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

The US will declare war on ISI- *checks news*

nothing important will change

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I don't know, Trump invading the UK would probably serve as a distraction for his domestic pressures.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
So he was a 52 year old father of 3 from birmingham. Not exactly the sort of person you would expect? Pretty bizarre.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I thought trump was older than that

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jippa posted:

So he was a 52 year old father of 3 from birmingham. Not exactly the sort of person you would expect? Pretty bizarre.

mid life crisis

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jose posted:

lol american healthcare

You're just jealous of all our superior American pogroms programs. You could have avoided five pages of pension talk if you were on the superior American system of "work til you die or become homeless, as God intended" :smug:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Attacker named as British citizen Khalid Masood, 52, from Kent.

I say we ban 52-year-olds from Kent until we can figure out what the hell is going on.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

mid life crisis

Nothing makes you feel young again like mowing down some infidels and stabbing an unarmed copper eh.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Time was when you went on a nice holiday, had an affair or started a second degree with the Open University :(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

For a sketch writer Quentin Letts is a loving terrible writer:

I wouldn't call running people over with a car medieval.

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
can someone explain the energy price thing
like are the companies just hoarding profits or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I wouldn't call running people over with a car medieval.

Did you ever get back to your secret admirer after that nice post of his (I assume it's a he)?

• Locked thread