Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Picking a losing strategy and keeping with it come hell or high water because you don't want to accept that you chose bad allies is America as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

While the door should be left open to Republicans who don't want to see everything burn they shouldn't be the main focus. Besides any of them who don't turn away after yhis latest mess are probably beyond saving.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If I understand, the bill that would gut healthcare won't pass because a significant number of legislators want to gut healthcare more?

Is that about right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

From that very article:

quote:

The Democrats must set priorities. In a presidential election, a revamped economic program and a new generation of un-Clinton leaders may well win back the genuine swing voters who voted for Trump, whether Democratic defectors in the Rust Belt or upscale suburbanites who just couldn’t abide Hillary. But that’s a small minority of Trump’s electorate. Otherwise, the Trump vote is overwhelmingly synonymous with the Republican Party as a whole.

That's exactly what a handful of us have been saying for six months or more. You don't need to attract the Tea Party, or the KKK. You need to attract reasonable people who felt (and in some cases still feel) backed into a corner.

Edit: If the AHCA were happening about 3.5 years from now (or 1.5, I guess) that would certainly help.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

If I understand, the bill that would gut healthcare won't pass because a significant number of legislators want to gut healthcare more?

Is that about right?

Yeah the suicide cult wants pre-existing gone

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah the suicide cult wants pre-existing gone

But don't worry, they are pro-life.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Someone please explain to me again how Republicans became the voice of poor working class whites? Rich assholes I can understand, but it baffles me how a poor person, even a poor white person, looks at Republican proposals and says "No pre-existaing condition coverage AND my insurance prices will rise? gently caress yea! Lock her up! #MAGA"

It's fine as long as it's happening to someone else. As long as it's not happening to you or your family, it's all fine. A close friend? "Aw bless his heart. We'll be praying for him and his family." Also read: FYGM

Some people don't have a concept of bad things happening until it actually happens to them.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ABC reported that the guy wasn't drafted for the usual stint in the IDF because he was judged too mentally unstable.

Also...

Dems gonna filibuster Gorsuch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't know how to feel about that, because we're guaranteed to be hosed by the next nomination.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

ABC reported that the guy wasn't drafted for the usual stint in the IDF because he was judged too mentally unstable.

Also...

Dems gonna filibuster Gorsuch.

:getin:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They'll just over ride the filibuster.

The so called nuclear option.

It's a bad idea to filibuster him it's a worse idea to use the nuclear option.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
On the one hand, I'm happy with everything that makes Trump throw a tantrum, but on the other hand: what godholio said

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
We're going to get hosed by both nominations so they mind as well go down swinging.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Godholio posted:

I don't know how to feel about that, because we're guaranteed to be hosed by the next nomination.

I agree, this isn't the hill Democrats need to die on. There are plenty of other battles the Democrats can focus on fighting were the Republicans/Trump are busy digging their own graves.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The reasonable "republicans" who are backed in a corner would probably vote a progressive D if it weren't for gun control.

personal freedom and your right to own a gun are easily sold as progressive values, especially at a national level. Just like pro choice means that someone against aborbtion can try to convince you not to do it but can't legally stop you, the same argument applies to buying guns. There are a dozen more ways to attack the problem and being more progressive means you can advocate better mental health as a fairer and more beneficial solution.

Godholio, I have to disagree with what seems to be your position that being more centrist and non comital will motivate anyone, either left or rational republican, to vote.

E; and in current events I just saw a VW commercial staring a couple banging in every different car model as their family grew. It was a good commercial and I can only imagine the small subset of religious hardliners who will object to it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What a dumb loving hill to die on. So when Ruth kicks it Pryor or whomever can just be appointed with no problems or issues.

It's not even like this is a good pick to use it on.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There is nothing to gain by not filibustering Gorusch. If Republicans want him bad enough, they'll change the rules, just like they would the next guy and anyone else they get to nominate.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Every VW commercial should look like a Schindler's List trailer, IMHO.

gently caress krauts.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

:(

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We're going to get hosed by both nominations so they mind as well go down swinging.

That was my thinking as well. If not this time, then the next. Dems keep trying to compromise to get political currency for...something?

I don't really get it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
They're still trying to find all that political capital Obama saved up

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The sins of the father and all that, Duzzy.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

why do people keep saying "we're gonna get hosed by both nominations" did someone else die?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

There is nothing to gain by not filibustering Gorusch. If Republicans want him bad enough, they'll change the rules, just like they would the next guy and anyone else they get to nominate.

Yeah, either they get Gorusch through by "compromise" and next time the republicans revoke the filibuster or they revoke the filibuster this time and next time is no different. Either way time is the enemy, the sooner you can demonstrate how horrible the tea party and freedom caucus are for democracy to the majority of Americans the sooner the political landscape will shift.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Reverand maynard posted:

why do people keep saying "we're gonna get hosed by both nominations" did someone else die?

RBG is 102348 years old. Sure shes a tough old bird but man time is not on her(or our) side

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

McConnell may go nuclear, but at the same time he has to weigh the fact that Republicans can only lose three seats in the senate in 2018 before the tables are turned. Democrats are at a slight disadvantage numbers wise in 2018; however, Trump is a historically unpopular president, and the healthcare bill is going to turn a lot of people off.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/844934610010169344

I want this thing to fail so, so badly. Not to mention that it's an incredibly poo poo policy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

I want this thing to fail so, so badly. Not to mention that it's an incredibly poo poo policy.

This is just going to piss them off.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

facialimpediment posted:

It won't. Worst timeline and all that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Part of me wants it to fail so that Ryan and Trump look dumb. Another part of me realizes that if they pass it, it'll basically hand Democrats the election in 2018. Especially since the freedom caucus is forcing them to enact the provisions before the election.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The sins of the father and all that, Duzzy.

Pee-paw didn't like Hitler, and was fine with the sons of Abraham (the jewish half of my family), but then again, he also didn't want my dad listening to "Negermusik" (Jazz) and hated the Brits. There was also the time his Junkers took an engine hit over the channel on the way back from Liverpool, and he said "The lord gave me the strength to jettison armor plates so we'd make it to shore because he prefers Germans to the Brits." So I got nothing :downs:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Last week I felt like holding up Gorsuch nomination was a bad idea for the dems. This week, gently caress it, let's do it. They have nothing to gain by letting things the nomination sail smoothly through the senate.

I mean, the best troll response I've seen some dems giving is that we simply cannot give an administration that is likely under investigation for Russian ties a SCOTUS pick until that matter is resolved.

psydude posted:

Part of me wants it to fail so that Ryan and Trump look dumb. Another part of me realizes that if they pass it, it'll basically hand Democrats the election in 2018. Especially since the freedom caucus is forcing them to enact the provisions before the election.

It's a win win if it fails, because you know they will continue to try get something passed, and whatever that is, it'll likely be a worse version of what they're trying to pass right now.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 23, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

I mean, the best troll response I've seen some dems giving is that we simply cannot give an administration that is likely under investigation for Russian ties a SCOTUS pick until that matter is resolved.

hillary shouldn't have been allowed to run since she was under fbi investigation according to the GOP this past year

only makes sense

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
If the AHCA passes(which I believe it will) our best hope is that it goes into effect ASAP and let diabetes and heart disease do it's thing

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Even with all of the republicans saying they will not vote for it, when it comes down to it I bet it will pass because they just wanted to 'sound' tough or whatever.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Belgian police arrested a guy who drove into a crowd with a call full of knives and guns:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39369202

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ded posted:

Even with all of the republicans saying they will not vote for it, when it comes down to it I bet it will pass because they just wanted to 'sound' tough or whatever.

The ones that need to vote no to keep the folks at home happy will be allowed to and anyone else will get browbeat into submission

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh man, that would be some sweet, sweet justice.

Goddamn the democratic party - and by extension the entire US system - is hosed.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It is the kind of success that they didn't even hope to achieve, much like what happened with 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Empires rise and empires fall and no empire lasts forever. The US won't be here in 100 years even if the earth is.

• Locked thread