Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

nah doing one unannounced kills productivity, interrupts work, and can cause unnecessary panic. There's no reason to not tell people ahead of time so they can appropriately schedule their work around the drill.

They've been announcing the fire drill for like 3 years now, they've been pushing everyone off http as fast as they possibly can. Unless you've been living under a rock, there's no way you couldn't have known browsers are working to kill plain http.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

thebigcow posted:

Firefox still lists the login under the warning and fills in if you click on it. Am I missing something, or are people freaking out because it takes an extra mouse click?
"We removed this functionality because we have opinions" is generally not met with resounding applause.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Truga posted:

They've been announcing the fire drill for like 3 years now, they've been pushing everyone off http as fast as they possibly can. Unless you've been living under a rock, there's no way you couldn't have known browsers are working to kill plain http.

End users don't know or care what Firefox is announcing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

I don't care about end users though, this is a fuckup of the person hosting the plain text site in tyool 2017.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yawgmoth posted:

"We removed this functionality because we have opinions" is generally not met with resounding applause.
They didn't remove any functionality (for once), they just added a warning that hey, this site you're using sucks. Just tell the end users to direct their bitching to admin@unsecuresite.com and the problem will eventually get fixed.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Yawgmoth posted:

Everything is still functional. No functionality is removed.

They are stating: "This login info is being sent in a non-secure fashion" which is correct information and not an opinion.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Deuce posted:

Everything is still functional. No functionality is removed.

They are stating: "This login info is being sent in a non-secure fashion" which is correct information and not an opinion.
Okay, then I misunderstood. From reading this:

Bob Morales posted:

Today's fun is Firefox 52 doesn't automatically fill username/passwords on insecure sites.
it sounds like they removed the ability to automatically fill username/passwords on insecure sites.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The more things change the more they stay the same. Im helping with helpdesk type duties. A ticket came in:

To: helpdesk
Cc: boss, director, vp, other vp, cfo

Need to install my printer

- self important lady

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yawgmoth posted:

Okay, then I misunderstood. From reading this:
it sounds like they removed the ability to automatically fill username/passwords on insecure sites.

You have to click on the warning to fill the things in

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

Just a random thought that I'd like to bounce off people - which is that Mimecast is not worth putting in front of Office 365 if your only reason for doing it is to improve availability. Since you aren't really adding resiliency in the same way as having multiple servers behind a load balancer, you're just substituting one set of MX records for another, then your best case scenario for availability becomes whatever Mimecast's is. And in the worst case scenario aren't you just doubling your total annual outage duration, assuming both products have the same SLA?

Am I missing something here? I can't think of a situation where the uptime stats for Mimecast are going to be higher than Office 365 or G Suite. Especially as anecdotally I have witnessed a Mimecast 'not an outage honest' that slowed down mail delivery, but haven't had the same issue across multiple Office 365 tenants.

o365 filtering hasn't been very good.

Mimecast on the other hand has been rock solid. In a company of 350 people where every single user has local admin rights, we've had exactly 0 cryptolockers because of Mimecast.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob Morales posted:

Which is why complaining they weren't warned is silly - actually going ahead and doing the thing is the only way to make things change.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Didn't chrome already start doing a bunch of certificate related stuff a few months ago?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't chrome already start doing a bunch of certificate related stuff a few months ago?
You mean warning on SHA1 certs? https://security.googleblog.com/2014/09/gradually-sunsetting-sha-1.html

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
A ticket came in:

One of our business software suites uses MSCOMCTL.OCX. A client's in house IT called in raging that we had given him a virus, because he ran some security scanner and it said that file was a security risk (probably because it's a goddamn VB6 library that doesn't come with Win10 anymore). He said he had tried to remove it, but then our software wouldn't work anymore, and he is demanding that we fix this IMMEDIATELY.

And yes, I did double check, it was their IT person who called.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

A ticket came in:

One of our business software suites uses MSCOMCTL.OCX. A client's in house IT called in raging that we had given him a virus, because he ran some security scanner and it said that file was a security risk (probably because it's a goddamn VB6 library

I was about to say is the software from 1998

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

fishmech posted:

There is no way to disable this. That's kind of the point.

Chrome will also warn either in the current version or one of the very soon to be released versions IIRC and Microsoft plans to add it to Edge by next year.

There's two settings hidden away in about :config that will make it act like it did prior, probably only until the next update knowing Mozilla.

Also amusingly when we revoked one of our certs but missed a server when pushing out the new one, Chome was fine with it but Firefox actually noticed it was revoked.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duz posted:

There's two settings hidden away in about :config that will make it act like it did prior, probably only until the next update knowing Mozilla.

Also amusingly when we revoked one of our certs but missed a server when pushing out the new one, Chome was fine with it but Firefox actually noticed it was revoked.
Changing that setting is as good an idea as turning your system clock back because the SSL certificate expired.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

Changing that setting is as good an idea as turning your system clock back because the SSL certificate expired.

poo poo, you mean setting my server to 1999 didn't get me 2 decades of SSL?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

I've done this.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I un-ironically did this for a SQL install that was never activated when it was originally installed :(

I think it was a 2012 install and I was amazed that it worked so easily.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

anthonypants posted:

Yes, there's a lot of bad things you can do in about :config, that's why they don't want you editing it directly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And yet there's going to be a huge upswing in these dumbass site owners trying to "educate" their users to go and edit the relevant settings in order to use their sites, rather than fixing the SSL.

Remember all those software download pages that had helpful screenshots showing you how to click on the OK buttons to bypass the UAC prompts?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You know, I'd be mad if they made it impossible to enter credentials on non secured sites, but autofill being disabled? It's just so unimportant.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Why would you want to set up email on your car?
Why does this feature exist?

There are HUDs that do this, I can totally see a "luxury" car including it.

Of course, if the screen is in the same place that most carputers are, then it is a Darwin waiting to happen.

Jewel posted:

Because if you tell an average computer user "entering your password here means hackers are probably gonna get it" with a warning box they'll freak out

Reminds me of Chrome's bullshit little "This download we don't recognize IS A VIRUS and WILL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER." from a couple years ago. (False positive? What's that?) Did they ever roll that back?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

sfwarlock posted:

Reminds me of Chrome's bullshit little "This download we don't recognize IS A VIRUS and WILL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER." from a couple years ago. (False positive? What's that?) Did they ever roll that back?

At one point there was a wonky definition file for MS security essentials that marked chrome.exe as a virus and deleted it. User solution? Uninstall the virus scanner. (not getting into why they could)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

You know, I'd be mad if they made it impossible to enter credentials on non secured sites, but autofill being disabled? It's just so unimportant.

Users were confused. Users put in tickets. Users still don't really understand what it means.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.

Bob Morales posted:

Users were confused. Users put in tickets. Users still don't really understand what it means.

New thread title?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Knormal posted:

They didn't remove any functionality (for once), they just added a warning that hey, this site you're using sucks. Just tell the end users to direct their bitching to admin@unsecuresite.com and the problem will eventually get fixed.

The problem will get "fixed" by people saying they only support viewing their site in IE10.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Text to speech bruh.

I had a coworker that had this for text messages for his phone. Sent him a 5 page text message but it didn't arrive while I was there.
Checked with him after work...
Coworker: "I hate you. My car would not stop saying the word 'Penis' for 5 blocks."

Malek fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

sfwarlock posted:

Chrome still does that sometimes. I tried to download and install a driver from HP's website recently and both Chrome and Windows smart screen tried to stop me.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Malek posted:

I had a coworker that had this for text messages for his phone. Sent him a 5 page text message but it didn't arrive while I was there.
Checked with him after work...
"I hate you. My car would not stop saying the word 'Penis' for 5 blocks."

I keep imagining your car saying PENIS in that robotic Hawking voice :lol:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Hungry Computer posted:

Chrome still does that sometimes. I tried to download and install a driver from HP's website recently and both Chrome and Windows smart screen tried to stop me.

Smart screen works!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
oh hey activesync is working now after a 5 hour outage all afternoon, good job helpdesk!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BOOTY-ADE posted:

How else would you know that your GT is DTF?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

hopefully nobody noticed that google dns blip rn.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

All of the first run surface pro 3's that management wanted so desperately (30+ devices) are now suffering catastrophic battery failures, this is on top of the TPM issues that messed up Bitlocker, the Wireless/Bluetooth network adapter failures and the rampant terrifying overheating. Only way to get the batteries replaced is to send them to Microsoft, who don't do the repairs in country (and guess what they are out of warranty isn't that convenient), or to some shady msp, last time we tried that they didn't reseal the device properly and it was the wrong shape which meant it didn't fit in the Gen1 docking station anymore.

Most will lose charge within minutes of being undocked, some within seconds. A couple won't even run while docked unless the device is in powersaver mode and the screen brightness is turned down to nothing. The surface pro product line is a total turd for anyone wanting to do anything other than browse the internet/check email.

The only good news is it means we aren't looking at SP4's or SurfaceBooks.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
i'm really glad I don't have to deal with end user hardware anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BOOTY-ADE posted:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Phrosphor posted:

All of the first run surface pro 3's that management wanted so desperately (30+ devices) are now suffering catastrophic battery failures, this is on top of the TPM issues that messed up Bitlocker, the Wireless/Bluetooth network adapter failures and the rampant terrifying overheating. Only way to get the batteries replaced is to send them to Microsoft, who don't do the repairs in country (and guess what they are out of warranty isn't that convenient), or to some shady msp, last time we tried that they didn't reseal the device properly and it was the wrong shape which meant it didn't fit in the Gen1 docking station anymore.

Most will lose charge within minutes of being undocked, some within seconds. A couple won't even run while docked unless the device is in powersaver mode and the screen brightness is turned down to nothing. The surface pro product line is a total turd for anyone wanting to do anything other than browse the internet/check email.

The only good news is it means we aren't looking at SP4's or SurfaceBooks.

Oddly enough the Surface 3 I have is chugging along with pretty daily if light use. Kinda surprised the Pros are being that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Apart from one SP3 with heating issues we've deployed around a hundred and never had any issues like that. Maybe you are just unlucky?

• Locked thread