Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Palpek posted:

Every video with dialogue from Andromeda is like something corn in the bible would post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDit1WO12fs

That is the most feminine Krogan I have ever heard.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While we talk about Naughty Dog - an animator from Naughty Dog who also worked on ME 1+2 tweeted about ME:A animation issues. It's interesting:

quote:

Every encounter in Uncharted is unique & highly controlled because we create highly-authored 'wide' linear stories with bespoke animations. Conversely, RPGs offer a magnitude more volume of content and importantly, player/story choice. It's simply a quantity vs quality tradeoff.

In Mass Effect 1 we had over 8 hrs of facial performance. In Horizon Zero Dawn they had around 15. Player expectations have only grown. As such, designers (not animators) sequence pre-created animations together - like DJs with samples and tracks.

Because time denotes not every scene is equally possible, dialogues are separated into tiered quality levels based on importance/likelihood. The lowest quality scenes may not even be touched by hand. To cover this, an algorithm is used to generate a baseline quality sequence.

Mass Effect 1-3 populated default body 'talking' movement, lip-sync and head movement based on the dialogue text. The Witcher 3 added to this with randomly selected body gestures that could be regenerated to get better results.

Andromeda seems to have lowered the quality of it's base algorithm, resulting in the 'My face is tired' meme featuring nothing but lip-sync. This, presumably, was because they planned to hit every line by hand. But a 5-year dev cycle shows they underestimated this task. Were I to design a conversation system now, I'd push for a workflow based on fast and accessible face & body capture rather than algorithms. While it hasn't 100% proved this method, Horizon Zero Dawn's better scenes succeed due to a use of facial mocap.

The one positive to come out of all this is that AAA story-heavy games can't skimp on the animation quality with a systemic approach alone. The audience has grown more discerning, which makes our job more difficult but furthers animation quality (and animators) as a requirement.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm not a writer but why is this a difficult thing do to

Aren't most of us human beings

Haha, try it sometime. It's hard to make anything artificial feel natural. Conversations in any writing in addition to feeling natural also need to be true to character, progress storyline, plot, or character arcs, and not speak against anything that was said before that scene or will be said in the future. Oh, also it needs to be entertaining and/or endearing and/or any other emotion. It's not really like real human dialog at all, it just has to have a wrapper around d what it's actually doing and that wrapper is often labeled "sounds natural".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

There are a couple reasons.

First, dialog exists to communicate something to an audience. When people have a conversation in real life, they're communicating something to each other. But when characters talk in fiction, they're communicating something to an outside observer (the audience), but we need it to seem like they're communicating with each other. That's a really tough balance to hit and getting it wrong leads to infodumps, clunky exposition, and characters who talk like robots. Writers need to take something unnatural--a conversation intended to communicate an idea to someone who isn't part of the conversation and who the characters, in non-fourth wall-breaking cases, aren't intentionally trying to communicate with--and make it sound natural.

But on top of that, actual human conversation sucks. It's awful. Listen to two people talk and imagine sitting through that in a movie or a game. You'd tune out really quickly. What precision means by "conversations which actually sound like human beings having conversations" is actually conversations that don't sound at all like actual people having a conversation but trick us into thinking it does. This is even harder than the above. Sometimes it comes across like the writer is trying too hard to make the dialog sound casual or cool, or the writer creates dialog that just meanders and doesn't accomplish anything.

A good experiment here is to watch a Tarantino movie and pay very close attention to the dialog. It's not natural at all, not in any way, but the rhythm and word choices, and the way the characters so deftly talk around what they're actually saying, tricks us into thinking it sounds much more real than it does. Then watch a cutscene from Mass Effect Andromeda and see a situation where the dialog doesn't pull off any of that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

I honestly don't know, for me writing conversations is a lot easier than writing prose, but maybe it's very hard for others?

And while it's true that everyone is a human that has conversations, they are rarely entertaining to a third party.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

It's endlessly amusing how no one roasts Jontron harder than his own subreddit

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For a good example of how hard it is to mimic a real conversation in a video game without carrying over the bad stuff from real conversations: how many times have you heard a video game character say "um" or "uh" in the middle of a sentence? Similarly, how many times have you seen two characters in a movie say 'bye' at the end of a phone conversation or sometimes even 'hello?' when the answerer picks up the phone?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Help Im Alive posted:

Writing dialogue isn't about being natural at all, listening to the way actual people speak unscripted would be intolerable. There's an incredible amount of care and craft that goes into writing dialogue that sounds like a believable fascimile of real life.

Serf
May 5, 2011

A lot of it could be avoided by just reading the conversations out loud to yourself or with a partner. But that also requires a lot of honesty, and you might not have time, patience, or get paid enough etc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should also give the Mass Effect writers, actors, and directors a little credit here. Natural dialog is hard enough when you don't have to account for the dialog wheel and branching dialog paths, but then that adds a whole new unnatural layer to it. How do you make a conversation sound natural when the player is always the driver and topics have to be able to be jumped between with little to no actual segue? How do you maintain dramatic momentum and tension in important scenes with that restriction?

But only a little credit, because even given those difficulties, Bioware and other developers have done much better before with even more branching dialog, and that's only accounting for times when the dialog is voiced.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's incredibly hard for most people. Here's a Youtube guy with a respectable following falling on his rear end trying to write dialog. He later claimed it was a joke (after being completely roasted) but he was 100% dead serious with this.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Jay Rust posted:

How many of these do you recognise?

all of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's incredibly hard for most people. Here's a Youtube guy with a respectable following falling on his rear end trying to write dialog. He later claimed it was a joke (after being completely roasted) but he was 100% dead serious with this.
i assume he was hired by bioware on the basis of this tweet

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Serf posted:

A lot of it could be avoided by just reading the conversations out loud to yourself or with a partner. But that also requires a lot of honesty, and you might not have time, patience, or get paid enough etc.

Even then, you need a good ear for it. The amount of bad dialog that makes it all the way through performance and editing indicates that a lot of people, and even a lot of writers, don't have a good sense of what good dialog actually sounds like.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Harrow posted:

I should also give the Mass Effect writers, actors, and directors a little credit here. Natural dialog is hard enough when you don't have to account for the dialog wheel and branching dialog paths, but then that adds a whole new unnatural layer to it. How do you make a conversation sound natural when the player is always the driver and topics have to be able to be jumped between with little to no actual segue? How do you maintain dramatic momentum and tension in important scenes with that restriction?

But only a little credit, because even given those difficulties, Bioware and other developers have done much better before with even more branching dialog, and that's only accounting for times when the dialog is voiced.

There's a lot that has to come together in order to make dialogue sound and look good, skills that are for the most part wholly unrelated to the gameplay itself, so it's understandable why developers want to minimize the amount of time spent handcrafting every scene when your script is 3,000 pages long. If the cuts are just a little bit off or if your actor just isn't quite grasping the context of the line, it can ruin an otherwise competently written scene.

E: This is why your voice director is so key on projects like this. You need someone who is familiar enough with these gargantuan scripts to coach the actor through what they should be feeling and doing in the moment.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

further cementing my opinion that "critic" is such a meaningless and useless role in modern society

E: maybe personality might be a better term as a critic should have a baseline foundational understanding of what it is they are trying to dissect imo

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 23, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

everyone posted:

lots of writing stuff

I don't really have anything to say except that this is all very interesting and something I hadn't really thought about before, thanks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KingSlime posted:

further cementing my opinion that "critic" is such a meaningless and useless role in modern society
there's good criticism and bad criticism, much like everything else, but i think society would be worse off if it just didnt exist at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Here's a good breakdown of what I think is Tarantino's best single scene of dialog. It's not entirely about the dialog (there's a ton in there about the performance, direction, and editing, too), but it shows how a good writer of dialog uses every line to accomplish something while also trying to make it sound "real."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvtOY0YrF-g

(I also wish this video had included the little linguistic trick the scene plays. Early in the scene, Landa asks permission to switch to English, and I'd imagine audiences would expect that was for their benefit--if they switch to English, we don't need subtitles. But that's not it at all. He's doing it for an in-universe reason that gets revealed at the end of the scene, and the movie goes on not to be shy about subtitles one bit. I loved that little twist.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 23, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Endorph posted:

there's good criticism and bad criticism, much like everything else, but i think society would be worse off if it just didnt exist at all.

No doubt, and I don't think a person's opinion is worthless simply because they don't have the proper background or whatever

But bad critics are regarded by many as just as, if not more, knowledgeable than the people creating the products they critique

That tweet was a fantastic illustration of how someone who believes himself to be above the content creators is literally talking out of their rear end, making the entire premise of their channel even just a little suspect

Course, some people just want random content to watch and don't care at all about the integrity or depth of the discussion, and that's fine too i suppose

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The thing I find entertaining about video game writing is that I imagine you run into the same problems as film and TV writing where you've written a scene but the budget and the time mean it can't be done, and for film the kinds of things that would happen with are pretty intuitive (huge action sequences, scenes with a lot of people in them, etc) but for games it's all down to like, weird quirks of the engine. Sorry, we can't make the introspective scene where the character stares into a mirror because mirrors are literally impossible to make in the game engine we're using. Sure, you can have a cutscene where two people talk on a moving train, but please make sure to time the camera movements so the seam where we're looping the background doesn't pass by the window. We can only render conversations involving two people, so please rewrite the scene where the hero talks to two of his friends.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Also tbqh I think writing "realistic" dialog is kinda overrated, I like stylized stuff. Nobody naturally talks like a Mamet character IRL but his stuff can be memorizing. Or Morpheus's yammering from the Matrix, which is bog standard The Tao of Nothing bullshit that basically gets saved by Fishburne's delivery and poise.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

Here's a good breakdown of what I think is Tarantino's best single scene of dialog. It's not entirely about the dialog (there's a ton in there about the performance, direction, and editing, too), but it shows how a good writer of dialog uses every line to accomplish something while also trying to make it sound "real."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvtOY0YrF-g

Apropos of nothing, the way Christoph Waltz' expression transforms from affable to menacing before delivering the "you're sheltering enemies of the state" line blew me away when I first saw this movie, and the way he does the same thing in the strudel scene before breaking it and going "but I simply can't remember" is so freaking brilliant. I can only hope he will one day lend his talents and likeness to the DLC of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

KingSlime posted:

No doubt, and I don't think a person's opinion is worthless simply because they don't have the proper background or whatever

But bad critics are regarded by many as just as, if not more, knowledgeable than the people creating the products they critique

That tweet was a fantastic illustration of how someone who believes himself to be above the content creators is literally talking out of their rear end, making the entire premise of their channel even just a little suspect

Course, some people just want random content to watch and don't care at all about the integrity or depth of the discussion, and that's fine too i suppose

I think the best critics are the ones who acknowledge that they're not "above" whatever they're critiquing, but rather just play a different role in the art or entertainment world. Good criticism is important to cultivate good art, and a good critic knows that's what their job is--not tearing things down or producing some sort of objective truth about what people are and aren't allowed to like.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

christoph waltz rules

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Help Im Alive posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVPcib7XW9I

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Good criticism is there to educate and empower the reader with more versatile ways of absorbing the media they consume. But there is always a very fine line between this and "look at how smart I am, the critic. I'm smart."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Harrow posted:

I think the best critics are the ones who acknowledge that they're not "above" whatever they're critiquing, but rather just play a different role in the art or entertainment world. Good criticism is important to cultivate good art, and a good critic knows that's what their job is--not tearing things down or producing some sort of objective truth about what people are and aren't allowed to like.

A good critic is a whetstone on which you sharpen your own taste.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also tbqh I think writing "realistic" dialog is kinda overrated, I like stylized stuff. Nobody naturally talks like a Mamet character IRL but his stuff can be memorizing. Or Morpheus's yammering from the Matrix, which is bog standard The Tao of Nothing bullshit that basically gets saved by Fishburne's delivery and poise.

Oh, absolutely. There's plenty of great dialog that isn't realistic and, in fact, emphasizes how unrealistic it is, and Mamet's a great example of that. It's also true of dialog that features a lot of unrealistically witty banter, though that's often written in such a way to sound "natural" even though it isn't.

I'm not actually a big fan of dialog that goes out of its way to be "realistic." I like natural-sounding dialog quite a lot, but I find that sometimes, even the best writers who try to write "truly realistic" dialog create something that I just don't find engaging. What we see in something like Uncharted 4, which has good dialog, is natural, but unrealistically witty and charming, and that's perfectly fine!

oddium posted:

christoph waltz rules

:agreed:

exquisite tea posted:

Apropos of nothing, the way Christoph Waltz' expression transforms from affable to menacing before delivering the "you're sheltering enemies of the state" line blew me away when I first saw this movie, and the way he does the same thing in the strudel scene before breaking it and going "but I simply can't remember" is so freaking brilliant. I can only hope he will one day lend his talents and likeness to the DLC of Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I think my favorite moment in the movie outside that scene is (and I'll spoiler this for anyone who hasn't seen it) when Landa orders milk for Shoshanna in the strudel scene. And he makes it perfectly clear he knows exactly who she is and he's loving with her. And the playful way Waltz delivers that line, his easy posture combined with the direct eye contact he makes just before ordering the milk, sells it beautifully.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best critics, I think, enjoy discussing things. They're there to expression their opinion but want to discuss it. Ebert was great for this in that he genuinely had things to say and wanted to say them to you and he had a way with words to go with his critical eye. If you're criticizing just to be snarky, or to call people dumb, or whatever then you're not enjoying discussing things and rarely are able to expand your own knowledge with other's thoughts.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

People always forget about Twine games. Or interactive fiction in general I guess.

Video games are so made-by-committee that it's rare to find distinct authorial voices outside of superstar directors like Kojima, who are allowed to do whatever they want.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Uh, the best thing in that movie is clearly Brad Pitt's Italian accent.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/eggloaf/status/844733279743881217

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

natori sawako was also one of the main writers on tales of eternia, which is how you know she's bad@ss

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I guess this doesn't have anything to do with writing or whatever, but drat that's a lot of Top Gun games :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/844975264899620864

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

One of his twitter followers bought it, too.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Harrow posted:

Yeah I think this is sort of the crux of a lot of peoples' problems with ME:A is that Bioware has done better in the past. It's real fuckin weird reading the Mass Effect thread and seeing people continuously try to defend Andromeda by employing the cunning strategy of "oh yeah, well all the Mass Effect games have had bad writing! And bad dialogue! And terrible stories! And boring characters!" as though if they simply deprecate the series as a whole enough that they'll hit a stack overflow and everything will loop back around to being good. But even if you're all-in on the premise that Bioware games have never been phenomenal home run hits (which is where I'm at, I've played a fair amount of Bioware's RPG catalog and I would largely describe them as okay with occasional moments of excellence), ME:A doesn't even reach the level of the games that have come before it imo which is where a lot of the discontent comes from.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Phantasium posted:

One of his twitter followers bought it, too.

Sure enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

The best critics, I think, enjoy discussing things. They're there to expression their opinion but want to discuss it. Ebert was great for this in that he genuinely had things to say and wanted to say them to you and he had a way with words to go with his critical eye. If you're criticizing just to be snarky, or to call people dumb, or whatever then you're not enjoying discussing things and rarely are able to expand your own knowledge with other's thoughts.

Also people take it super personally when a critic gives a bad review to something they like or vice versa, the idea that a critic is Iinvalidated because their opinions don't match your own or go agaist historical consensus is asinine.

To bring it back to Roger Ebert, he gave a lot of stone-cold classics poor scores at the time of their releases but you almost never see movie people try and disparage him by pointing out that he gave Garfield and the Jack Black Gulliver's Travels higher score than Blue Velvet and Blade Runner, but gamers still think that pointing out that a website hosted two reviews that gave Imagine Babiez a higher score than God Hand objectively invalidates anything it says over a decade later.

• Locked thread