Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you have 7 minutes to kill and you hate yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtx0Ei1G88

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I now side with lavar ball he's incredible

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
the Pistons will win the rigged draft lottery because they're moving downtown and Reggie Jackson's asthma/knee tendinitis, Drummond's ADD and bad free throws have otherwise consigned this team to mediocrity :pray:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WhyteRyce posted:

I am stupider for having watched this.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Not even Skip could make SAS this incredulous LaVar is a drat genius

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Current Day Steph Curry Status: Would not be able to dominate in college

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Femur posted:

Like the lakers, how likely was it for them not to lose their picks these last 3(??) years?

In 2015 they got the #2 pick with the 4th worst record (so landing top 3 would be relatively likely). The pick was top-5 protected so it would be very unlikely the Lakers would lose it.

Last year the Lakers got the #2 pick with the 2nd worst record. Them getting the #2 pick was more likely than any other team. They had a ~55% chance of landing in the top-3.

This year there has not been a drawing.

So to answer your question, it was more likely the Lakers would keep their pick than lose it. It only seems strange due to confirmation bias.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

WhyteRyce posted:

I listened to this stupid segment in bed today because I got the stomach flu and i'm pretty sure this made my fever nausea and runny poo poo worse

Why do people even give him a platform to spew his diarrhea

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
OK SAS hivemind, you have to leave your dying wife's bedside, but in exchange you get to troll SAS. What do you do?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I listened to this stupid segment in bed today because I got the stomach flu and i'm pretty sure this made my fever nausea and runny poo poo worse

Because he's been a host of the show for a while now.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

Well he's perfect ESPN I guess. But I don't usually choose to watch ESPN on purpose for their talk shows.

Even the jokers on wikipedia have up Michael Jordan v. Lavar Ball comparative stats right now

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Lockback posted:

OK SAS hivemind, you have to leave your dying wife's bedside, but in exchange you get to troll SAS. What do you do?

is there someone i can leave at the hospital to prevent my children from seeing their mother??

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

TBeats posted:

:drat:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

TBeats posted:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Stephen A. Smith is really funny the minute and a half I hear of his show every three weeks.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/status/845037570119684096

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Finally, something I can agree with Chuck on

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
it's always kind of surprised me that terminally ill people don't ever go out with a bang like that.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

LaVar Ball needs to manage Roman Reigns

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Noctone posted:

it's always kind of surprised me that terminally ill people don't ever go out with a bang like that.

That's why I've always respected Hunter S.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/844958615337254913

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CantonCharge/status/845058933014323200

My boy

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Fuckin lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I'm going to see Cavs Hornets tomorrow. Should be a fun game.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Brolander posted:

Once in high school after a particularly large gravity bong rip I happened to catch the part of that Steelers/Seahawks Super Bowl, 05 or 06 or whatever, the blown holding call towards the end. The Crippey Kush let me see through the veil, I knew the league didn't want the Seahawks to succeed, I knew the rig was on

this is true. but still that animal is getting older so we see the same slow down

The Crippey Kush so loud

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
e: This is not the college thread

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Have you ever seen the last dragon? It was produced by Berry Gordy and is a great movie about Brue Leeroy Green, who wants to master kung fu, but is menaced by a gang of kung fu thugs, led by Sho Nuff. Lonzo Ball talks almost exactly like Sho Nuff

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

lmao I love chuck

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
This kid is going places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z0eVj_osn0

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CLE currently leads the East with an 3.47 SRS. You have to go back to 1976 (pre-merger) to find a lower leader in a conference.

big boi posted:

https://streamable.com/lmujb

I was at the game tonight, and this clip does not accurately represent how much everyone in my section lost their poo poo when this happened.

Cavaliers desperately need Rudy Gobert.

WhyteRyce posted:

All the loving owners couldn't even agree on the lottery reform because a bunch of them thought it would hurt them in the short term, and you're trying to tell me that guys like Cuban, Ballmer, and Vivek would be 100% cool with rigging things up so someone else could benefit? Ernst and Young would basically torpedo their firm's reputation for like no gain?

I believe EY would be getting paid a hefty amount of $$$/benefits to rig this things. Greed easily blinds people. There used to be a giant company called Arthur Andersen. There used to be a company called Enron. They thought they were invincible and above the law.

In a conspiracy not all thirty owners need to be involved.

Lockback posted:

Miami isn't a particularly big basketball market. Its good, but not great. Cleveland was doing fine as well. The year before Lebron came (and they won the #1 pick) they were right smack in the middle in attendance in the NBA. Miami before Lebron was pretty comparable to Cleveland before Lebron in attendance as well.

Attendance is one short-term variable. There are many long-term variables such as building a future fanbase. It's very obvious that CLE has added more long-term value by getting those picks and retaining LBJ.

LBJ is harvesting and culling lifelong NBA fans in the Cleveland area. LBJ taking CLE to the finals and defeating GSW is a bigger story than taking MIA there and being bounced out.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

It definitely was, but I promise behind the scenes the idea of being forced to give up a team you spent so much money on was an unsettling thought for most of the owners. The "easy" way would have been muzzling Sterling and waiting for it to go away. It was a good PR move, but it was also a ballsy one.

I recall a lot of talk about Silver making his announcement without having the full support of the owners yet, which (if true) was also ballsy.

If Sterling Silver had said something like "freedom of speech etc. etc." it would've been a gigantic and ongoing PR disaster/fiasco for years.

WhyteRyce posted:

He needs to work on not breaking character.

Lockback posted:

The commissioner works for the owners, there is nothing higher than the owners of the league. If the owners thought the commissioner was screwing them over, that guy would lose his job. That's why Zogo saying the Sterling thing was swept under the rug is false, if they wanted it to go away they would have suspended him for 6 months and made him go to sensitivity training or some poo poo. Silver's actions were a huge risk and the exact opposite of a coverup. Removing one of your bosses for conduct was a ballsy move and the kind of thing that could have backfired and ruined his career if the other owners decided they didn't think the office should push them around like that.

There isn't anything to sweep under the rug if there isn't a leak in the first place. Sterling was slowly turning into a confused old man who was whoring around and being blackmailed. And he was only going to get worse and become an even bigger liability and possibly potential perpetual leak machine.

If we're talking conspiratorially there could be an upper echelon within the BOG. All thirty owners aren't sharing each tidbit of information they get with the other 29. There's still hierarchies; they're not all on equal footing.

Paul Zuvella posted:

No you just don't get it. The NBA is rigged against [my team] in favor of [every other team]
why dont you believe me!!?!?!?!

When the Bulls got #1 and were able to select hometown hero Rose that was a little suspicious and tailor-made.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 25, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Considering LeBron's history of putting on a Dracula cape and flying into the home of NBA player's loved ones to feast on their energy before playoff time, Lavar is on borrowed time at this point.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Everyone that missed Clippers at Mavs didn't get to see Dirk shut down CP3 on the perimeter. This changed the momentum and led to a Mavs win. This means the Curry/Matthews/Barnes/Dirk/Noel starting 5 is undefeated. If the lottery is rigged, I hope Silver rigs it in favor of Dallas.

It's fun watching a team with lots of young talent. Excited for the Mavs future. It's been a while since the Mavs didn't replace most of the roster in the offseason. Cuban said he only imagines 3 or 4 players not on the roster next season. Depending on if that includes 10 day guys or not, it's either those guys + Powell or Harris, Powell, and ???.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 24, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Noctone posted:

Sometimes they do. I think it's one of those suppressed news items for fear of copycats.

WhyteRyce posted:

You're trying to tell me that Mark Cuban, a man who often publicly shits on the league or other teams, would be cool with rigging the lottery for Cleveland to win? Mark Cuban publicly called out the league for doing that Carl Landry/Marcus Thornton trade when they ran the team because it made the Hornets slightly more competitive against the Mavs.

Hypothetically, I think a lot of owners would be on board if they were paid off. Based on trades, strategies it's clear that the owners #1 goal isn't solely to win as many games as possible. It's to increase revenue.

Also, I don't fully buy into the public personas these guys put out. Cuban loves being a TV personality and getting his name out there. He's on Shark Tank, he goes on Fox News and other media pontificating and espousing all kinds of things. He doesn't have to do any of that but he chooses to.

I'm reminded of Trump in this instance. Here you have a guy who's personal friends with the Clinton's for decades, golfs with them, has them as members of his country club etc. Then when he gets on TV he says he's going to appoint prosecutors to go after Hillary because she's a criminal and "lock her up." Very nonplussing indeed.

These sports owners are Machiavellianists.

Paul Zuvella posted:

All the owners would be in on it.

Why?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Owners are fine getting paid off. Ok, so who is paying them off? It isn't Stern unless he really does have a secret slush fund that the owners completely ignore. So it's the lottery winner who is funding the bribe. Except when Cleveland wins the lottery, Chicago suspects them of paying off E&Y. When NO wins, Cleveland and Chicago both give them a long look. And they all stare at Philly when that happens. So are these teams paid off for their silence too? Sounds expensive, more-so each year. And what if both NO and Philly want to win it this year, who arbitrates? This starting to sound like a very unwieldy situation. Meanwhile Stern gets...what exactly?

Not all the owners are in on it? So like only Philly, Chicago, Cleveland, and New Orleans are part of this secret kabal? That's an...odd mix

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Nuggets have such a great young group of players that they're bound to send at least a couple of them somewhere in a desperate move to get an aging superstar

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Barkley: Shut Up And Beat The Hell Out Of Skip Bayless: Gaiden

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Doltos posted:

The Nuggets have such a great young group of players that they're bound to send at least a couple of them somewhere in a desperate move to get an aging superstar

The Knicks have poisoned your brain.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Dejan Bimble posted:

Have you ever seen the last dragon? It was produced by Berry Gordy and is a great movie about Brue Leeroy Green, who wants to master kung fu, but is menaced by a gang of kung fu thugs, led by Sho Nuff. Lonzo Ball talks almost exactly like Sho Nuff

WHO'S THE MASTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If any two of Harris, Jokic, or Murray can play defense in the next few years, watch out.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Last Dragon is REALLY fun

• Locked thread