Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: This just in: Slim Jim Pickens has in Roll20 just become the first Entente commander to suggest that the Germans might have built a bridge in the night. :siren:

The conversation rolled right on (it's a thoroughly inconsequential wrangle about whether sending men north is in fact a good idea or not), and so far nobody else has picked up on it and he himself isn't pursuing that line of reasoning any further... :munch:

edit: he mentioned it again, again seemingly in passing, and again nobody's stopping to explore the possibility any further...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Well, it doesn't really change all that much from their perspective, does it?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tevery Best posted:

It would be funny if seeing/noting the bridge would panic them and they then send their forest troops into the trenches in order to prevent any Germans from getting in them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

Sure it does; they seem to be proceeding under the assumption that any German who tries to cross the river in the south is going to have to ford it and then probably get stuck in wire, or at least detour around it.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Sure it does; they seem to be proceeding under the assumption that any German who tries to cross the river in the south is going to have to ford it and then probably get stuck in wire, or at least detour around it.

Yeah the assumption that I've seen in the thread -- not on the Roll20 -- is that the Germans just sent across a scouting party that peeked into the British trenches and are now either occupying them, or....?

I don't want to slag on the Brits too much but they are way too optimistic and really ought to feel much worse about their position (even without knowing about the bridge).

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
The Central Powers seem to be playing a tighter game this round as far as command goes than the last game. It's been a very fun read and watching of both threads so far! Which side is going to likely benefit more by the availability of artillery, if either?

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: This just in: Slim Jim Pickens has in Roll20 just become the first Entente commander to suggest that the Germans might have built a bridge in the night. :siren:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If we don't know where the enemy is, spreading out our forces into mutually unsupportable positions is a bad plan!

Send both infantry brigades into Bois de Blob. With a huge concentration of force, we can destroy the Boche cavalry and survive anything else they send.

I highly doubt the Germans are advancing on a broad front. Why probe with the cavalry at all, in a risky night-time maneuver, if you're just going burst in from elsewhere? They're going to be trying to support their successful ford.

If the boche have the numbers to advance North and South, then our own numbers won't be sufficient to stop them everywhere. The only answer is that to concentrate our forces. We still have the luxury of a fair amount of ground, and lots of uncertainty for the German side.

Give this man a medal - hes apparently the only one that understands why Loels Plan is bad.

wedgekree posted:

It's been a very fun read and watching of both threads so far! Which side is going to likely benefit more by the availability of artillery, if either?

This Adjucation, the French Guns probably will not be in range, while the Germans have guessed the French Positions quite well. However, after this Adjucation, the Germans will probably have enough Units in Sighjt and Range to be fired upon by the French Guns.

If the German Brigade that is going to hug south and enter that Valley sneakily can get to the Guns first however, the French will be in a very bad situation.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Mooddr posted:

This Adjucation, the French Guns probably will not be in range, while the Germans have guessed the French Positions quite well. However, after this Adjucation, the Germans will probably have enough Units in Sighjt and Range to be fired upon by the French Guns.

If the German Brigade that is going to hug south and enter that Valley sneakily can get to the Guns first however, the French will be in a very bad situation.

So the Germans can likely shoot more at the French with thier arty this round, round after will likely be messy for them as the French can open fire?

But, this game is a lesson that concentration of force at least in this era seems to trump all else. The issue is managing the level of coordination and planning it takes to achieve concentration of force and having your plan hold together and taking into account how the enemy responds to get it. Otherwise, very fun game so far and interested in seieng how future rounds go.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm a little miffed that both threads independently had people guess that their could be another army in the forest.

I'm not really sure what the best move for the Germans is right now. They're mustering their forces to destroy the British in the north (haha) but that's leaving their nightbridge all unused. I guess what's going to happen at the end of the day is the Germans marching into Effyaders, wiping up the armored cars and stray engineers (unless the British reinforcement shows up in time, and even then they might be outnumbered), while back in blob the two brigades neutralize eachother for the timebeing.

It's like the British were trying to play a shell game to make it seem like they were everywhere, and ended up being nowhere. Right now they have the most information to work from, just they aren't really able to use it, and the trouble with officers going awol doesn't help either.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm a little miffed that both threads independently had people guess that their could be another army in the forest.

I'm not really sure what the best move for the Germans is right now. They're mustering their forces to destroy the British in the north (haha) but that's leaving their nightbridge all unused. I guess what's going to happen at the end of the day is the Germans marching into Effyaders, wiping up the armored cars and stray engineers (unless the British reinforcement shows up in time, and even then they might be outnumbered), while back in blob the two brigades neutralize eachother for the timebeing.

It's like the British were trying to play a shell game to make it seem like they were everywhere, and ended up being nowhere. Right now they have the most information to work from, just they aren't really able to use it, and the trouble with officers going awol doesn't help either.

I think you are misreading here a bit. The Brits in the forest -- last I checked -- are going to just walk north into their trenches and the German brigade is going to march into two British reinforcement brigades coming up the road.

Germany is about to blunder their use of indirect artillery though with their commander ordering the guns to support "whichever unit spots the most enemies" which....Is not how you use Arty. Use it to interdict movement or hit a position, don't wait around for reports to come in about the relative size and strength of your opposition.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

The german offensive is timetabled for turn 57, and the reinforcements they have scheduled for turn 50 arrival from quite close, so the British should just about get into position in time.

Mooddr
Mar 5, 2017

Terrifying Effigies posted:

1) I want to make sure nothing manages to slip away to the south of Bois de Blob.
2) In the event that things go south, I want mllaneza to have a clear route to enter the fray from the west rather than be stuck behind my chits.
3) Besides clearing the Germans from Bois de Blob, it is imperative that we occupy the trenches before any more Germans arrive at the ford. Therefore, the most direct route to the objective is necessary to get into position in the minimum amount of turns.
Okay, the Brits actually have a chance now.

Yeah, its going to be a nice blundering turn, with btwo rather solid plans that will go south soon...

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am getting progressively more annoyed by Bacarruda's insistent mislabelling of brigades as divisions.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like a game like this should be kept private in the Roll20 things for the current turns and then the various public threads should be multiple turn cycles behind the actual resolution to prevent any magical 'guessing'. But I'm a cranky bastard who trusts no one. :mad:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

my dad posted:

I believe the team is currently panicking, as can be seen through the general sense of disorganization, lack of coordination, and emphasis on short term thinking in a non-desperate situation.

When I have the time, I'll write up a longer post explaining on why I see things this way, and what I think can be improved.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"We're not panicking. We're not panicking! LOOK AT HOW LITTLE WE ARE PANICKING I'M SO CALM LOEL'S SO CALM EVERYONE IS CALM!!!!!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The English are sinking into pointing fingers and arguing, while the most drama the Germans have had is a little micromanaging. Maybe they'll all cool down once they have the enemy to deal with, or maybe they'll start striking out on their own.

I really can't wrap my head around reinforcement schedules, but so far as I can tell, the Germans are focusing northwards, while the Entente are going for a more even distribution along the river, with a bit of a focus at the center. That seems like it'll favor the Germans.

Still, a lot really depends on how the Battle of the Blob goes. Who will see who first, how will the fighting go,, will either of them retreat? The Germans there are already being given orders to go north, will they take that as an excuse to get out of there? Even a broken and fleeing cavalry brigade may distract and confuse the Entente forces while the proper attacking force comes along to ruin their day.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I have insider knowledge that Flesnolk in specific and everyone above Brigade in general is immensely frustrated by even the tiniest deviations from the Master Plan of the hour as well as terrified of what may happen next.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

I have insider knowledge that Flesnolk in specific and everyone above Brigade in general is immensely frustrated by even the tiniest deviations from the Master Plan of the hour as well as terrified of what may happen next.

Are they aware they are playing a wargame?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Tevery Best posted:

historically correct german staff officer roleplay

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Update's up. It's now 12 noon on Day 2.

Germans
British

Time for Observ-O-Vision. Overview turn 52:

Blob turn 53 with bullseye

Blob turn 54 with bullseye

Turn 56 overview

Post ITT, y'all. Eggs and baskets, eggs and baskets.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Now that I look at it, that was some very timely presence from the BEF infantry. If they had got there a turn or two later, that cav would have been deep in their artillery batteries.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I'm never right. I was so sure that since the two brigades were so close they'd have to spot one another at some point. There were also a few diagrams of the British force sweeping back down southeast through the forest, but I guess nobody ordered that. At least the Germans have the trench.

Maybe they'll send some of the currently entrenched brigade into that forest hole. It's slightly more forward.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Are those Brit infantry brigades about to wheel around and head north, or are the Germans about to cross basically unopposed?

E: Also, the Entente got pretty lucky with their infantry positioning, some relatively minor differences and all their guns would have been Dejeunered.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Current orders has the two on-board infantry brigades clearing out the south, and the arriving brigade moving from Trois Freres into the forest beginning T57.

edit: some Roll20 nyuks for you

quote:

ProfessorCurly (GM): How about we fire on the M7 crossing. It seems like that is where they think they have a breakthrough or at least something going on. Moreover they may have brought up engineers to try and clear our wire
even if not, we could use the artillery to interdict reinforcements that might try to be crossing there

M7 is what they call the southernmost ford. So near, and yet so far away! And of course, Slim Jim isn't around to briefly mention the possibility of a pontoon bridge and then forget about it again...

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 24, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised they didn't try to flank those trenched units and sandwich them from the front and back.

I also don't get why you'd want to move out of that forest, but I don't exactly read the side's threads :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm surprised they didn't try to flank those trenched units and sandwich them from the front and back.

The Brits had no idea what was in the woods, and they certainly have no confirmation that there are Germans in the trench.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Green Intern posted:

The Brits had no idea what was in the woods, and they certainly have no confirmation that there are Germans in the trench.

Oh, I meant the Germans. The attack northwest should've been an attack straight north with the guys opposite the river advancing. But I'm just projecting on a perfect map with prior knowledge of the situation.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Weren't the Brits supposed to receive cavalry reinforcement companies as well?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

markus_cz posted:

Weren't the Brits supposed to receive cavalry reinforcement companies as well?

The cav brigade commander got shot retreating so they don't

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Post ITT, y'all. Eggs and baskets, eggs and baskets.

The way these two southern cav brigades are literally right next to each other and neither party knows is my favourite thing ever. I can't wait until the brits keep on moving, safe in the assumption they cleared out the Blob, only to find their intended trenches rudely occupied. :allears:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I feel like the British are getting pretty lucky this game.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Splode posted:

I feel like the British are getting pretty lucky this game.

Considering the German cav is about to leave their trenches and walk right on past the English cav in its trenches with ignore enemy orders while infantry comes in behind, yes they are.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Good god. Here's hoping for German Initiative then.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh god, they went through that whole rigmarole of building a bridge to give their forces a sneaky and faster way over the river, and they even snagged an enemy trench, and they're planning to give all that up?! I know I've seen the British diagrams, but where do the Germans think those two infantry units are headed?

If they don't make sure to protect that bridge, the British may find it and use it to send their own forces across the river (if they ever get around to understanding the utility of bridges over fords). They certainly already started out aggressive this game.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

That one corner of Effyanders is going to get blasted and trampled to poo poo isn't it :allears:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
My Dad moving out of his trenches is the one little smile from Lady Luck the Germans get. If he didn't, oystertoadfish's brigade would have just walked past him single-file as he took potshots.

EDIT: also, at what distance are trenches actually spotted? It seems crazy to me the Germans can't see that trench.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 26, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

^^^ they probably should have seen them, I think I may have not moved them out of the "unspotted" trenches bucket into the "spotted" bucket, c'est la vie

Mini-updates up now, you'll get the gist

end-of-update map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why would you leave the trench?! :psyduck:

• Locked thread