Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CJacobs posted:

They should keep internet celebrity cameos out of video games because they're always the most cringeworthy thing ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E8MRSN6BWQ&t=143s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Naughty Dog games are phenomenal at having conversations which actually sound like human beings having conversations.

One thing that constantly bugs me in voiced videogame conversations is when someone is interrupted by someone else but there is no overlap. There is a clear gap when the first person stops talking as if they anticipated the interruption.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Lobok posted:

One thing that constantly bugs me in voiced videogame conversations is when someone is interrupted by someone else but there is no overlap. There is a clear gap when the first person stops talking as if they anticipated the interruption.

That drives me totally bonkers. It's already barely acceptable in a stage play, but when you can edit the sound? And it's all prerecorded???

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spoderman posted:

That drives me totally bonkers. It's already barely acceptable in a stage play, but when you can edit the sound? And it's all prerecorded???

Yeah it should basically never happen. The interrupted line should have extra, meaningless words tacked on that are intended to be missed by the audience once the emphasis is shifted to the new speaker. It's even worse when subtitles are on because you can see the painful transition coming a mile away and that highlights it more.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hey can anyone answer this question: In Super Mario RPG is the only actual missable item the Frog Coin in the castle where you have to jump on Toad's head?

Keep in mind that there's no fast travel in SMRPG, if you miss something you have to walk back through all the maps to get it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You also gotta [static] -ove whe- [static] -mes do thi[static]

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

Spring Breakers is really good

Sorry for the non games derail but swing on by my man: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814263

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Coincidentally read only memories is a cringeworthy video game so :shrug:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lobok posted:

Another one that I'm running into a bunch with ME:A (add it to the pile of issues) is when the characters are talking while I'm doing something mission-related and something I did causes a scene cut and the dialog just stops and some new dialog starts related to what I just did. It's not just annoying because it's abrupt and annoying to my senses; I also like listening to the characters talk. If you're making a game where running character dialog is a significant part, coming up with ways to handle segues when the player triggers some new event should be an important part of design and "cut it off" is the second laziest way. The laziest way, which I haven't seen in a game in years, is letting the dialog all run on each other.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

like 20 mst3k are on netflix now i guess. and they have werewolf (best one)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Uncharted 4 did a cool thing where if dialog got interrupted they'd return to it later like "anyway what was I saying? oh yeah -" and pick up right where it got cut off

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

oddium posted:

like 20 mst3k are on netflix now i guess. and they have werewolf (best one)

There, wolf. There, castle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

The laziest way, which I haven't seen in a game in years, is letting the dialog all run on each other.

Clearly you didn't walk around while listening to recordings in story missions in Horizon.

:argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Uncharted 4 did a cool thing where if dialog got interrupted they'd return to it later like "anyway what was I saying? oh yeah -" and pick up right where it got cut off

GTA 5 beat em to the punch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wanna pay like ten bucks for the Ghostbusters psvr game that's about ten minutes long and has an annoying voice telling you to hurry for half the experience.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CJacobs posted:

And was usually hilarious because the interruption was something like ramming into a highway median and launching the two of you out of the car. Then when you were back inside a new car they'd be like "so anyway..."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

Clearly you didn't walk around while listening to recordings in story missions in Horizon.

:argh:

I did not. That is annoying!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

Poker Night at the Inventory did it first.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

There was a neat thing GTA4 did where I think they recorded multiple versions of each conversation when you're driving somewhere on a mission. So if you failed the mission and had to do the drive over again they'd have different dialog (Actually I guess they probably did the same thing in GTA5 but I don't remember much about the single player in that game)

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a GTAIV remaster or something, I would probably buy it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

Spring Breakers is really good

It's the best Hotline Miami sequel.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

There was a neat thing GTA4 did where I think they recorded multiple versions of each conversation when you're driving somewhere on a mission. So if you failed the mission and had to do the drive over again they'd have different dialog (Actually I guess they probably did the same thing in GTA5 but I don't remember much about the single player in that game)

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a GTAIV remaster or something, I would probably buy it

It would have been better to just have checkpoints but I appreciate the effort.

GTAV also has a poo poo-ton of optional dialogue, a lot of which you probably miss out on normally.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man now I kinda want to play The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned again. I really wish GTA5's story had been more like either or both of those instead of what we got :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lobok posted:

Yeah it should basically never happen. The interrupted line should have extra, meaningless words tacked on that are intended to be missed by the audience once the emphasis is shifted to the new speaker. It's even worse when subtitles are on because you can see the painful transition coming a mile away and that highlights it more.

To be fair, that subtitles thing happens in movies with closed captions too, that's hardly a mark against them. The gaps in general can be laziness but they can also be technical hitches, bugs, framedrops, or background loading or maybe Windows is doing diagnostic poo poo in the background or or or..

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's up everyone

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mutata posted:

To be fair, that subtitles thing happens in movies with closed captions too, that's hardly a mark against them. The gaps in general can be laziness but they can also be technical hitches, bugs, framedrops, or background loading or maybe Windows is doing diagnostic poo poo in the background or or or..

Seeing an interruption coming because of subtitles is not a mark against them, no, (unless you make the argument that subtitle words should only appear as spoken). I was saying that the subtitles just give me a heads-up, which makes the awkward sounding pause all the more noticeable.

As for technical errors in games, that's fine if it's every now and then or I notice some kind of performance issue but I'm playing Witcher 3 now and every interruption plays out the same way. It's by design.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All I'm saying is that it ISN'T by design. There's never a writing integration meeting where everyone sits around a table and goes "ok, so we all agree that we should leave big gaps between dialog, yes? Great, meeting adjourned!"

Edit: Or rather, it isn't by design for that reason. It's most likely a conscious decision due to various limitations of timing and game engine mechanics, if not for the reasons I listed above, and possibly even to account for unknown aforementioned above possibilities causing even worse problems or hitches.

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 24, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:swoon:

https://twitter.com/BombermanHero/status/844953579433709568

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been getting poo poo sleep all week and had a really long day at work, but new Gorillaz dropped today so it's still a good fuckin day :cool:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PantsBandit posted:

I've been getting poo poo sleep all week and had a really long day at work, but new Gorillaz dropped today so it's still a good fuckin day :cool:

At least someone is enjoying Andromeda.

Ayyyyyy

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Another one that I'm running into a bunch with ME:A (add it to the pile of issues) is when the characters are talking while I'm doing something mission-related and something I did causes a scene cut and the dialog just stops and some new dialog starts related to what I just did. It's not just annoying because it's abrupt and annoying to my senses; I also like listening to the characters talk. If you're making a game where running character dialog is a significant part, coming up with ways to handle segues when the player triggers some new event should be an important part of design and "cut it off" is the second laziest way. The laziest way, which I haven't seen in a game in years, is letting the dialog all run on each other.
I'm a dozen hours ish into FFXV and it is horrendous for this. My very good boys get two seconds into a chat then one of them sees some ants or something and everyone forgets what they were talking about, forever

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So a buddy reminded me (by complaining about them) that I forgot to grab this month's free PS games, and holy poo poo am I glad he did. Lumo is adorable and fantastic. :3:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

does the new gorillaz album have actual good beats on it this time unlike plastic beach

bring back dan the automator

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Keep in mind that there's no fast travel in SMRPG, if you miss something you have to walk back through all the maps to get it.

True, but that frog coin is the only thing that you can never actually go back to get right?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DalaranJ posted:

This isn't true, but yes, that's the only thing you can miss in the game

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Quest For Glory II posted:

does the new gorillaz album have actual good beats on it this time unlike plastic beach

bring back dan the automator

Plastic Beach has some good beats. White Flag was quite good on the beat front. Nothing they've released since the debut album has had beats on their original scale though.

Can't speak to the new album. If that last little thing they did is any indication, well... Probably not.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The 4 songs they released today were more Demon Days than Plastic Beach (which I love) so if that's what you want I think you'll be happy. And they're actually pleasant to listen to, unlike Hallelujah Money. Check their YouTube page.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ascension is my favorite of the new stuff

https://youtu.be/hBA0PUQCvIA

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Not a Children posted:

This isn't true, but yes, that's the only thing you can miss in the game

Oh, 20 years ago me must have been ignorant. Can you warp to each star location or something?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 24, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

e: saturnz barz and andromeda still have 808 drums fuckin stop it. i miss dan. bring sampled real drums back

i love the animation of the 360 music video tho

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1DRrnarmhI&t=601s

• Locked thread