Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

quote:

Kevin Tancharoen needs to direct way more stuff. If you're ever watching an AoS and are like, goddamn the fight scenes in this were amazing, odds are it's one of his eps.

My favorite would have to be Spacetime in the third season, where they use having seen the future as an excuse to make the fight choreography planning part of the plot of the episode. Works both in-story and as a nod to the work that goes into making those things that wind up being 30 seconds of frantic motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Kevin Tancharoen needs to direct way more stuff. If you're ever watching an AoS and are like, goddamn the fight scenes in this were amazing, odds are it's one of his eps.

Didn't he direct the Arrow episode where they start in a hallway, roll into an elevator (keep fighting) and then spill out several floors later and continue to fight?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
He definitely directed tonight's episode of Arrow, and may be it was placebo due to having read this thread before watching, but it seemed to have vastly superior action...

...even if you could pretty easily spot DOLPH's stunt double.

Edit: I looked it up and the infamous Arrow hallway fight was apparently 1x21 "The Undertaking" directed by Michael Schultz who has directed a lot of different and interesting poo poo, but I'm gonna say it still makes sense because he directed Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon. Lol.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 23, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Longbaugh01 posted:

This has been one of the only drawbacks of Arrow's fight scenes over the years. Pretty much anyone without a hood is instantly recognizable as a stunt double. But most of the time the fights are good enough that I don't care.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Imagine a world where there are actors that already have martial arts training. Imagine a world where martial arts scenes have been filmed that don't require masks to hide stunt doubles. Imagine.

This is what drives me nuts about this production. It's not like this is a new problem. Movies in the late 90s had gotten pretty loving good at hiding that their leads can't do karate. Did we forget since then?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

But most of the time the fights are good enough that I don't care.

At least once they learned not to have two people in dark hooded outfits fight with minimal movement in an unlit warehouse at night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Didn't he direct the Arrow episode where they start in a hallway, roll into an elevator (keep fighting) and then spill out several floors later and continue to fight?

That one was by James Bamford, the stunt coordinator/fight choreographer for Arrow.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

zoux posted:

Yeah.

Also I just looked at his imdb and he did in fact direct an episode of Iron Fist, episode 8, the Blessing of Many Fractures. Was that a good action one?

Blessing of Many Fractures has the only real memorable fight (Drunken Master), so put that in the win column for him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One of those voodoo analytics outfits is saying Iron Fist is the second "biggest hit" out of the Marvel Netflix shows.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

He definitely directed tonight's episode of Arrow, and may be it was placebo due to having read this thread before watching, but it seemed to have vastly superior action...

Edit: I looked it up and the infamous Arrow hallway fight was apparently 1x21 "The Undertaking" directed by Michael Schultz who has directed a lot of different and interesting poo poo, but I'm gonna say it still makes sense because he directed Barry Gordy's The Last Dragon. Lol.

Oliver Vs Mr. Blank is a fight I've always been fond of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W5pupNQ32c

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

zoux posted:

One of those voodoo analytics outfits is saying Iron Fist is the second "biggest hit" out of the Marvel Netflix shows.

No such thing as bad publicity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

No such thing as bad publicity.

Apparently they only take "positive" mentions. I have no commentary on their methodology and am pretty skeptical of these 3rd party analytic companies, and Netflix has as perfect data analytics as you can have with respect to viewer data so it doesn't really matter what these companies say, but in this case any controversy wouldn't apply to this methodology.

But don't be terribly surprised if there's a second season.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Lurdiak posted:

This is what drives me nuts about this production. It's not like this is a new problem. Movies in the late 90s had gotten pretty loving good at hiding that their leads can't do karate. Did we forget since then?

I'm too lazy to dig around right now, but do the producers and directors for Iron Fist have martial arts movie/TV background? Even Walker Texas Ranger used a double for Chuck Norris's spin kicks and crap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm too lazy to dig around right now, but do the producers and directors for Iron Fist have martial arts movie/TV background? Even Walker Texas Ranger used a double for Chuck Norris's spin kicks and crap.

The show runner is the guy that did the last three seasons of Dexter...

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

I watched it all, but that's because I was doing my taxes.
It's pretty bad. Finn Jones was not the right guy for the role. The final episode is hilarious, but I'm pretty sure that was unintentional. I do like the running joke about Danny being just incompetent.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RevKrule posted:

Blessing of Many Fractures has the only real memorable fight (Drunken Master), so put that in the win column for him.

Just finishing the last episode right now and yes, that was the highlight of the series for me too. When the dude stood up with his booze I thought "are they?... Nah, they wouldn't, they.... HOLY poo poo BALLS YES!!!!!!!"

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

I watched it all, but that's because I was doing my taxes.
It's pretty bad. Finn Jones was not the right guy for the role. The final episode is hilarious, but I'm pretty sure that was unintentional. I do like the running joke about Danny being just incompetent.

Finished episode 6 and it was horrible. "It means I never lose" was a horrible line. Madame Gao was like the only redeeming part of the episode.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

Was that because of insurance or something? I'm just looking it up and when that series ended, Norris would have been <googles> 60? Huh. When you've been doing martial arts fairly consistently for about 40 years or whatever length of time he'd been at it and decades of kung fu flicks and action movies on top of that, I'd have assumed you'd be staying vital for quite some time. Still, maybe you'd just wear out and slow down by the time you reach that age if that's your schedule. I don't know. :shrug:

Can you imagine if they'd adapted Iron Fist in, like, the eighties and Chuck Norris had played Danny Rand? I can imagine him trying to edit the script. "Listen, I can really relate to Danny's story; I went to Asia and learned martial arts too. But I want to change this bit about him getting his powers from a dragon; don't you think it would be a lot smarter and a lot more American if the real power of Iron Fist came from accepting Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Saviour? Huh? Huh?"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was that because of insurance or something? I'm just looking it up and when that series ended, Norris would have been <googles> 60? Huh. When you've been doing martial arts fairly consistently for about 40 years or whatever length of time he'd been at it and decades of kung fu flicks and action movies on top of that, I'd have assumed you'd be staying vital for quite some time. Still, maybe you'd just wear out and slow down by the time you reach that age if that's your schedule. I don't know. :shrug:

Can you imagine if they'd adapted Iron Fist in, like, the eighties and Chuck Norris had played Danny Rand? I can imagine him trying to edit the script. "Listen, I can really relate to Danny's story; I went to Asia and learned martial arts too. But I want to change this bit about him getting his powers from a dragon; don't you think it would be a lot smarter and a lot more American if the real power of Iron Fist came from accepting Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Saviour? Huh? Huh?"

He aged ungracefully I guess and just couldn't throw them pretty kicks anymore (or maybe he had some injury that slowed him down.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Norris was never that good at punch-kicking in a visually interesting way. It's easy to look good when you're opposite Bruce Lee, that dude could carry a sack of potatoes to a 5-star match.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
You guys one episode of Legion is better than all the good parts of Iron Fist put together. It is the show I watch and then watch again.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

You guys one episode of Legion is better than all the good parts of Iron Fist put together. It is the show I watch and then watch again.

How is this show not tearing up the Internet? It is easily the best comic book show on TV right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

How is this show not tearing up the Internet? It is easily the best comic book show on TV right now.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

WHOA

You're clearly not watching Legends of Tomorrow where they just confirmed Jesus Christ to be a real person in CWverse continuity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

WHOA

You're clearly not watching Legends of Tomorrow where they just confirmed Jesus Christ to be a real person in CWverse continuity.

Well Constantine is part of the CWverse so technically his intro would have been a round about way of confirming the Judeo-Christian faiths right?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

WHOA

I bring Aubrey Plaza to the fight and you bring Jesus? I'm feeling good (bit of a spoiler)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Well Constantine is part of the CWverse so technically his intro would have been a round about way of confirming the Judeo-Christian faiths right?

Faith has existed in thousands of tv shows. CW confirmed that Jesus Christ existed and was a real person in their comic book super hero teevee universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Jesus is real I met him on the bus once man

Good weed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was a real person, Jesus exists in any show that doesn't explicitly say he doesn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

He was a real person, Jesus exists in any show that doesn't explicitly say he doesn't.

Uh huh.

This would be the Jesus who was crucified and has magical divine blood.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC has The Spectre, It's all real.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Faith has existed in thousands of tv shows. CW confirmed that Jesus Christ existed and was a real person in their comic book super hero teevee universe.

I meant confirmed them as real things that actually happened. Because Constantine explicitly deals with heaven and hell, etc. Though I guess the show never really ever touched on anything specifically Christ related, to be fair. Not that I can remember. Just vague angels and demon stuff, with generic church imagery/lingo.

I forgot Spectre was a thing they were doing on Constantine too! I miss the show to be honest. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

DC has The Spectre, It's all real.

We're talking about television, not comics where God and Jesus show up all the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

WHOA

Boring, wake me up when a tv show does the requisite "God is probably real after all and science can't explain some things." thing but from a Muslim perspective.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rhyno posted:

They've spent the entire season trying to find the Spear of Destiny, of course biblical Jesus is real in the CWverse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Aphrodite posted:

Jesus is never explicitly mentioned in the MCU (Christianity is, so we assume he exists), but according to Marvel Ancient Norse is the one objectively true religion and mankind was shaped by alien forces and not the hand of God.

The Marvel Universe is pretty anti-Christian catechism.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 24, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is Daredevil the most explicitly Christian Marvel hero?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

Is Daredevil the most explicitly Christian Marvel hero?

Yeah.

It seems kind of dumb to go to Mass and pray to god when Thor lives one zip-code over and Steve Rogers has literally risen from the dead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's what faith is my friend.

I do like Cap's answer to it in the first Avengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jesus is never explicitly mentioned in the MCU (Christianity is, so we assume he exists), but according to Marvel Ancient Norse is the one objectively true religion and mankind was shaped by alien forces and not the hand of God.

The Marvel Universe is pretty anti-Christian catechism.

Well, it's true in that the figures exist, but many of their deeds are just made up stories.

You think Loki ever heard the one about how he gave birth to Odin's horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Meh, Xena met Jesus and Santa Claus in the same episode 20 years ago.