Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.wikihow.com/do-mass-car-murder

I mean I kind of feel like I should read that guide because currently I have to concentrate really hard not to inadvertently do mass murder with a car so if I read that I can only assume it rewires your brain so that you are a natural stunt driver who has to concentrate to get the opposite effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope they get done for libel and also for possessing information useful for a terrorist.

I bet more people have been killed by their readership insisting that they can still drive safely at 79 and barely concentrating on the road due to a moment of spite fueled rage at one of their half remembered articles than by people googling 'how to drive car over people'.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

There are people who make a living teaching you how to use a car, a weapon that can be used for mass murder.

Some sickos out there will even teach you how to use a plane, which if you remember is what did 11/9.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

In my experience people usually have something inciteful to say about terror attacks.

Classic freudian slip.

Also amazingly we got through a whole episode of QT without a political giveaway question about how poo poo the Labour party is.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Mail have a real hate boner at the moment for google. They've been running editorials and opinion pieces for the last couple of weeks about the evils of them, so it's no wonder they found a way to jam the two stories together.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why? I'm surprised it's not for Facebook over the whole fake news thing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Im guessing it's a way they see to wrestle back control from "new media" and in the long run, push the government into harsh controls on internet access.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Guavanaut posted:

Why? I'm surprised it's not for Facebook over the whole fake news thing.

I don't know the whole story behind the reasons why, but it apparently was a dictate from on high. I'm going to assume its something to do with advertising as it's that time of year.

They went after facebook at the same time initially, but backed off after the whole clusterfuck where Facebook reported the mail's reporters to the police.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/845068856813146112

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that one of the seats the tories fiddled?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Labour ward.

Apparently the Labour candidate was in a politically restricted job.

The eejit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skinty McEdger posted:

They went after facebook at the same time initially, but backed off after the whole clusterfuck where Facebook reported the mail's reporters to the police.
I thought it was the Sun's reporters who emailed CAI to Facebook on request and then got reported.

OwlFancier posted:

Is that one of the seats the tories fiddled?
Did they think it was a child seat?

Kokoro Wish posted:

and in the long run, push the government into harsh controls on internet access.
:(

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TinTower posted:

Labour ward.

Apparently the Labour candidate was in a politically restricted job.

The eejit.

How did this not come out until right after the count was complete?

Guessing that ward isn't gonna go to Labour now (if it was before).

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Free inside: Full colour supplement on how to do a terrorism

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Information suppression is a dark path. Take bomb making, for example. What do you suppress? How to make a bomb? So do you also have to surpress knowledge of electronics? What about the explosive itself? Are we going to suppress chemistry knowledge? How much? Bombs are not wizardry. It's nitrates and enthralpy. Oh enthralpy, surpress that as well.

I don't know what the mail is going on about car terrorism unless they mean you can look up what pedal makes the car go on Wikipedia. But I assume their actual motive is mass censorship.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

But I assume their actual motive is mass censorship.

No, their actual motive is to spread terror by letting everyone know how easy it is to be a terrorist.
After all, if it's so easy to be a terrorist, why, anyone could be a terrorist. Even, by some definitions, the editor of the Daily Mail.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

PiCroft posted:

Financial advice on a comedy forum etc but I use an investment ISA. It's managed for me, free under £10,000 and has a return slightly higher than 0.00000001% that every other savings account has.

Oh yeah I have an ISA that I use anyway but obviously the problem is that if the pound goes full hyperinflation your savings are still wiped out. I'm not looking for an investment for a return, I'm just looking for something to convert my currency into to avoid this. I had considered swapping it all into dollars for example. But then I did some reading and gold seems to be reasonably stable as far as commodities go (more than any currency at least) and is also sufficiently value-dense that you can reasonably store it (unlike lead or whatever). I'm also kind of uncomfortable with the idea of going the stock/share route on principle - I'm not really exploiting anyone buying a metal any more than I am by general consumption.

(I admit the thought of having actual treasure does appeal to the child in me too)

But yes, probably a dumb think to ask advice for on internet comedy forum something awful dot com so nevermind!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah I have an ISA that I use anyway but obviously the problem is that if the pound goes full hyperinflation your savings are still wiped out. I'm not looking for an investment for a return, I'm just looking for something to convert my currency into to avoid this. I had considered swapping it all into dollars for example. But then I did some reading and gold seems to be reasonably stable as far as commodities go (more than any currency at least) and is also sufficiently value-dense that you can reasonably store it (unlike lead or whatever). I'm also kind of uncomfortable with the idea of going the stock/share route on principle - I'm not really exploiting anyone buying a metal any more than I am by general consumption.

(I admit the thought of having actual treasure does appeal to the child in me too)

But yes, probably a dumb think to ask advice for on internet comedy forum something awful dot com so nevermind!

Give me your money I will take good care of it honest.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Enthalpy, industrial shotguns... I'm learning lots of new stuff today!

As far as savings go, I wouldn't fret too much. If you've actually got more than a few grand spare that you're not likely to need in the immediate future, best thing you can do is invest it in a range of funds spread around the globe and leave it to do its thing. Do some of these in other currencies if you want to get clever. People are poking fun a bit in this thread because investors in gold, bitcoins etc. are often... well, let's say naive, to be kind. Despite being obsessed with the performance of their investments and constantly fiddling around with them, they tend not to really understand the financial markets and fall back on these 'One Weird Trick to give you a massive return on your cash!' pieces of nonsense.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
IF you are really worried about sterling just get a dollar and or euro account and start accumulating those

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Regarde Aduck posted:

I don't know what the mail is going on about car terrorism unless they mean you can look up what pedal makes the car go on Wikipedia. But I assume their actual motive is mass censorship.

Well they're outraged that Google is allowing people to say "it's a hoax" without punishment so yeah. But the Mail exists to scare old people about how terrible/precocious the world today is, so handwavey poo poo about That Internet, Are Boys and The Terrorisms is like slot machine reels lining up

They might be lining up for a 'crusade' too, that's what the print edition likes to focus on to keep its circulation up

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

This guy by the sounds of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/23/antwerp-belgium-police-arrest-man-drive-crowd-high-speed

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Double post, but more on hopkins.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...tminster-attack

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Inspirational stuff

https://twitter.com/MirrorCeleb/status/845052312594927617

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Whatever happened to Gordon the Gopher?

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ThomasPaine posted:

Don't buy physical gold to counter a rise in rates; there is no conceivable scenario, apocalyptic or otherwise, where gold sovereigns under the bed is a sensible investment.

I don't know what you're reading that suggests the pound will hyper inflate as a consequence of brexit but i wouldn't trust a word of it.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Converted to Islam, changed his name to Mohammed al-Gopheri and last seen travelling to Syria.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The good news is he couldn't reach the pedals.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah I have an ISA that I use anyway but obviously the problem is that if the pound goes full hyperinflation your savings are still wiped out.
Very likely that your debt is too.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Guavanaut posted:

Operation Yew Tree

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn's script writer has quit after three months. Anybody here feel uk to the job ?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If US dollars suddenly lost a ton of value money wouldn't really be money anymore anywhere in the world, so it's as safe as you're gonna get.

Gold is just a commodity, but the USD is backed by aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, fleets of nuclear ICBM armed subs, the CIA, the NSA, and the whole institution of global capitalism.

If you believe that this time the sky really is falling, for sure, you can make a wager on it by taking out as much debt as you possibly can, then converting it all to commodies like gold or other easy to sell valuables, or even just USD if you think it's just the pound that's going. If the pound loses half its value, you can pay the loan back with half of what you borrowed and keep the other half. If the pound doesn't collapse you're bankrupt.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Big phil would have sorted that fucker out if he was near westminster at the time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

That link appears not to work any more. What was in it?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Simon Jenkins in good article shocker: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/24/coverage-westminster-attack-media-politicians

quote:

Don’t fill pages of newspapers and hours of television and radio with words like fear, menace, horror, maniac, monster. Don’t let the mayor rush into print, screaming “don’t panic”. Don’t have the media trawl the world for pundits to speculate on “what Isis wants” and “how hard it is to protect ourselves from attack”. Don’t present London as a horror movie set. Don’t crave a home-grown Osama bin Laden. In other words, don’t pretend you are “carrying on as usual” when you are doing the precise opposite. When the prime minister stands up in parliament to announce, “We are not afraid,” the response is “why then is the entire government machine behaving as if it’s poo poo-scared?”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Tony Blair in 2003 sought an easy headline by sending tanks to Heathrow to “counter terrorism”
Haha I forgot about that. What a twat.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

feedmegin posted:

That link appears not to work any more. What was in it?

Council by-election declared null and void, in a tiny bit of local authority drama.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Marina's the best

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Gold is just a commodity, but the USD is backed by aircraft carriers, stealth bombers, fleets of nuclear ICBM armed subs, the CIA, the NSA, and the whole institution of global capitalism.

If it wasn't for Brexit, the City would be caning it right now, being based an island with most of those things, and no Trump or Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Whoever it was that was posting about pensions earlier, thanks. I just realised my employer hadn't done what I'd asked with my pension so I'm now contributing 12.5% rather than 3% to my pension (I'm 25) :toot:

• Locked thread