Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

It's talked about in this AFR Tingle bit

TFA posted:

The Joint Statement will unlock a number of trade restrictions currently in place to support Australian meat and livestock exports including advancing Australia's access for tripe exports to China and initiating trade in donkey meat and edible skins to China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I find it hard to imagine Barnaby's skin is edible.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
While we're on a Joyce roll have this one too

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/845131045812940805

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I like Barnaby in a weird way.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

It's because of your tomato fetish.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

He's like any politician that when he says things you agree with, you nod along and go "makes sense" with a bit of mixed in country no bullshit mixed in. It's just a shame that he very, very rarely says things reasonable people agree with.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

freebooter posted:

Can anybody recommend a good accountant in Melbourne? Last full financial year I was working in Australia I went to H&R Block and gave them $200 to spend ten minutes on etax and inform me that I owed the government $250, I mean, I could have done that.

Yeah, but your $200 is tax deductible

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The HuffPo posted:

In what we promise is a very real story, Queensland's Nationals MP George Christensen is going to war against an ice cream company, calling out Ben & Jerry's for their opposition to the controversial Adani coal mine.

The proposed Carmichael coal mine near Townsville has been embroiled in a political, economic and environmental brouhaha for years now, with the prospect of thousands of new jobs pitted against the impacts it would have on the Great Barrier Reef. Indian coal company Adani wants to build its mine, to be the largest in the southern hemisphere, in the Galilee Basin in central Queensland, and transport coal from there via rail to the coast -- right on the cusp of arguably Australia's greatest natural wonder, the reef.

The proposal includes a terminal at Abbot Point, which would see large ships passing around the reef, as well as massive dredging in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Christensen is among many Coalition members very in favour of the mine, citing massive employment opportunities and other economic benefits -- but green groups have been waging a long campaign against the mine, citing damage to the reef and the possibility of contamination in the event of an accident. T

he fight has been going for years, and is set to spark again when the recipients of the government's $5 billion Northern Australia Infrastructure Fund are announced. The Carmichael mine is tipped to receive $1 billion of that, and has been praised by deputy PM Barnaby Joyce and resources minister Matt Canavan, but former Greens leader Bob Brown announced this week a new push to lobby against the mine.

This is where ice cream comes in. Ben & Jerry's, an American-based company, is supporting a series of events next week in capital cities across the country called 'Scoop Ice Cream Not Coal'. The company is getting behind a 'Stop Adani roadshow' in Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, giving out free ice cream as opponents of the mine hold public rallies.

"Right now, foreign-owned mining company Adani wants to build the biggest coal mine in Australia's history. The coal from this mine would cook the climate and wreck the Great Barrier Reef," Ben & Jerry's wrote in Facebook event invitations for the event.

"This fight against Adani's mega mine is our line in the sand - no more coal for the sake of the climate, the Reef & future generations. Don't miss out on the chance to help us win one of the biggest fights of our generation. Secure your seat and get your tickets now!

"Plus! Scoop ice cream - not coal! Free Ben and Jerry's ice cream!"

Well, George didn't like that.

Christensen said Ben & Jerry's were "against local jobs" and called for supporters to boycott the brand and "get a good Aussie-owned and made ice cream like Bulla instead".

Unfortunately for Christensen, his suggestion didn't go down as well as he hoped. He is one of the handful of politicians in parliament opposed to halal certification, and many of his supporters are also anti-halal, but -- you guessed it -- Bulla's ice cream products are proudly and prominently certified halal.

In the comments on his post, it's running about 50-50 between people criticising Ben & Jerry's entering the Adani debate and people criticising Christensen for recommending a halal-certified brand. Can't win 'em all.

In a statement, Ricky Rosen from Ben & Jerry's told The Huffington Post Australia they stood by their support for the campaign.

"Ben & Jerry's has a long history of fighting for climate justice, specifically in Australia the wellbeing of our iconic Great Barrier Reef. We did this successfully in 2014 with WWF and the 'Fight for the Reef' campaign, and we're proud to do it again by joining our friends at 350 Australia in the fight against the proposed Adani mega coal mine," he said.

"We are urging our fans to get involvedb y coming along to the roadshows and showing their support next week. We look forward to seeing everyone there, even George Christensen."

Free ice cream and protesting for lefty poo poo. Gonna be a good weekend.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Thanks Unilever!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Adecco have just asked everyone that worked at the Aus Open to work the weekend at the Grand Prix for free as a donation.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Is this going to end up with a close-but-not-close-enough 'right conclusion-wrong reason' situations with Christensen where he realises there's no ethical consumption under capitalism?

(Will it be different from PHON's tenet of no ethnic consumption?)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

We did this successfully in 2014 with WWF and the 'Fight for the Reef' campaign, and we're proud to do it again by joining our friends at 350 Australia in the fight against the proposed Adani mega coal mine," he said.

This sounded a lot better before I remembered the WWF is no longer a wrestling federation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why do people hate the Adani mine so much?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

It's hosed, it doesn't make economic sense without massive government subsidies (like all fossil fuel), and it has massive environmental implications both on site and for transportation of the product

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Pauline Hanson has said we need to vaccinate against Islam. Which I guess means we should teach it in schools or embrace comparative religion subjects or something?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Vaccinating against Islam causes autism though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

Adecco have just asked everyone that worked at the Aus Open to work the weekend at the Grand Prix for free as a donation.

I hope you told them to get fukt and reported them.

JBP posted:

Adani already has stated that the profits will be sent offshore to the Caymans. This means we won't see the tax for it. It also means that a bunch of their shareholders are mega pissed because it means they won't see anything of the profit too because it's a different company.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

JBP posted:

What?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't work labour hire for Adecco. I am simply reporting what has been reported to me.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Guess which party has 4 seats in the WA Legislative Council?

The Greens, that's who.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Konomex posted:

Guess which party has 4 seats in the WA Legislative Council?

The Greens, that's who.

Who cares.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Solemn Sloth posted:

Pauline Hanson has said we need to vaccinate against Islam. Which I guess means we should teach it in schools or embrace comparative religion subjects or something?

Give everyone a Koran, except the book only has blank pages?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

JBP posted:

I don't work labour hire for Adecco. I am simply reporting what has been reported to me.

Wait your earlier post wasn't a joke? I read it four times and eventually decided you had to be kidding.

Some of the hardest work I've ever done was events setup

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Who cares.

Me. I care.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

Who cares.

I do.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

Who cares.

Everyone but you.

Then again you cared enough to comment so

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah it's kinda a huge deal for WA, formerly known as The Scrunt State.

Edit: our resident electoral megasperg says it's a long call, and to wait 20 mins, when the AEC are actually pushing the button.

As to why it's a big deal to me, Lynn McLaren has been SUPER supportive of the NTEU aka best union, and is an all round top sort.

Don Dongington fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Who is the current scrunt state?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

JBP posted:

Who cares.

We care a lot.

*hums the rest of the song*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Who is the current scrunt state?

Sobriety.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

The only state worse than QLD

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

freebooter posted:

Can anybody recommend a good accountant in Melbourne? Last full financial year I was working in Australia I went to H&R Block and gave them $200 to spend ten minutes on etax and inform me that I owed the government $250, I mean, I could have done that.

Do you actually need one? The online tax filing thing in MyGov is pretty easy to use and prefills most of the data for you.

Unless your finances involve a mix of foreign income and capital gains the main advantage of an accountant is them pointing out deductions you didn't know about, and you can get most of that benefit by browsing https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

I agree. I'm a Green through and through and I disagree with many of his positions and if I lived in his electorate I would preference him near the bottom, but I nonetheless prefer his straight-up attitude to the bullshit focus group driven blathering of most of the LNP crowd. Australia would be a better place if most Australian pollies stood up for what they thought the way that Barnaby does. Sure, what you think might be shithouse, but at least own it.

Urcher posted:

Do you actually need one? The online tax filing thing in MyGov is pretty easy to use and prefills most of the data for you.

Unless your finances involve a mix of foreign income and capital gains the main advantage of an accountant is them pointing out deductions you didn't know about, and you can get most of that benefit by browsing https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/

Ta, I'll check that out. I mostly want to write my laptop off thanks to income from self-pubbing a book on Amazon + rev.com.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

I agree. I'm a Green through and through and I disagree with many of his positions and if I lived in his electorate I would preference him near the bottom, but I nonetheless prefer his straight-up attitude to the bullshit focus group driven blathering of most of the LNP crowd. Australia would be a better place if most Australian pollies stood up for what they thought the way that Barnaby does. Sure, what you think might be shithouse, but at least own it.

This.

I feel the same way about Lambie too

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Its encouraging to see just how much the opposition in the party to focusing on 18C has come from them not wanting to shift focus away from economic issues. Granted they should oppose it for the right reasons but you can bet they're getting the pressure from all sides to get on with making everybodys life a little easier.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgZxwmHph6E

Here's a very nice meltdown for you all.

Azmet Jah
Jul 16, 2008

I love Paul Keating

JBP posted:

Barnaby's what Bob Katter could have been if he wasn't an idiot with no impulse control. He's managed to work a way to sound really anti-establishment while mostly voting like a hard right Lib, plus pulling off some of the most ostentatious pork barreling we've seen in years. Dude's got the govt to spend $20-something million moving a whole department to his electorate for basically no reason.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

18C has become a self-delusion mechanism for the Liberal Party. It's noticeable just how sick of it the MSM is, even CPG hacks are just rolling their eyes now. Katherine Murphy even dared to contrast defamation law with this "exercise" in free speech in the australian politics live podcast today. Gabrielle Chan was even over talking about it. Laura Tingle is now just grunting on Late Night Live and even those two old grumps Dennis Atkins and Malcolm Farr are frankly annoyed at the time-wasting.

Also, Joyce is a typical Nat, they're mostly like that, they've never changed. Some have the impulse control button, some don't.

Azmet Jah
Jul 16, 2008

I love Paul Keating
FYI the WA Legislative Council is probably the most authentically loving insane of Australia's parliaments. Labor's got twice the Libs' lower house MPs but still probably won't control the assembly because the bush elects half the members. It's for authentically ridiculous WA reasons too. The changing face of mining, Aboriginal disenfranchisement, the state's dumb aristocracy - all capped off with the Greens' genuinely baffling 'bio-regional identity' policy. Love it, all so WA.

Azmet Jah fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Azmet Jah posted:

FYI the WA Legislative Assembly is probably the most authentically loving insane of Australia's parliaments. Labor's got twice the Libs' lower house MPs but still probably won't control the assembly because the bush elects half the members. It's for authentically ridiculous WA reasons too. The changing face of mining, Aboriginal disenfranchisement, the state's dumb aristocracy - all capped off with the Greens' genuinely baffling 'bio-regional identity' policy. Love it, all so WA.

What are you even talking about, Perth has like 42 of the 60 odd seats and Labor has a massive majority in the legislative assembly

E: oh, you mean the legislative council. The assembly got fixed a decade ago

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 24, 2017

• Locked thread