Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I bought my first AV receiver several months ago, and now it refuses to work. Can I fix it?

The receiver is Denon AVR-S720W. What happens is a few minutes after I turn the whole setup on and begin watching a movie, the TV screen begins blinking, turning off for a second or two, and then turning on again. After a few more minutes the TV completely loses connection to the source of the video, and I cannot restore it even if I turn everything off and on again.

The setup:
- receiver: Denon AVR-S720W
- TV: Samsung UN55KS8000FXZA
- Blu-ray player: Sony BDPS3700
- Cables: a pair of AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cables

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Plug the blu-ray directly into the TV to narrow down the issue a little more maybe? Could be that the blu-ray's decided it doesn't want to output properly any more. Alternatively try another source into the receiver, laptop or whatever. I want to assume you've done this but just in case you haven't...

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Plug the blu-ray directly into the TV to narrow down the issue a little more maybe? Could be that the blu-ray's decided it doesn't want to output properly any more. Alternatively try another source into the receiver, laptop or whatever. I want to assume you've done this but just in case you haven't...

Thanks! I'll appreciate any advice, since I'm pretty bummed out about such an expensive piece of equipment failing after only a few months of usage.

Yes, I've plugged my blu-ray into the TV directly, and didn't see any video blackouts. I do have another source connected to the receiver -- a Chromecast -- and it also fails when connected to the receiver, and works fine when connected to the TV. Additionally, I tried moving the sources between different HDMI inputs, and it didn't help.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ok so you've narrowed down that it's not the blu ray player nor the TV. All fingers are pointing at the receiver but it sounds like it might be a HDMI handshake issue or perhaps an EDID error.

You may be able to get around it by making sure the receiver is fully powered up before your blu ray player or your chromecast, handshaking over HDMI can be a complete dick and cause issues like this. Maybe try powering up the receiver leaving it 20 seconds before firing up the TV and the blu ray player just to see what it does.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thanks, I will try that.

I also ordered a different HDMI cable in case the one I currently use to connect the receiver to the TV is not good enough.

Also found the instructions for "resetting the microprocessor" on AVS Forums, will try that over the weekend.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Also if you dont mind losing your settings try a factory reset:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS720W/NA/EN/GFNFSYvyalrwrt.php

edit: doh, looks like you already found it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

KillHour posted:

*Receiver/Speaker/Sub Recommendations*
Everything has arrived and as I break into the boxes I realize that I am an idiot and read the size in the item description as the height of the speakers (eg the 5.25" and 6.5"). At that size I figured it would be no problem to wall mount them up into the corners similar to my current speakers. Obviously I didn't look at the item dimensions because they are A) too big to mount to my current corner blocks of wood and B) come with no mounting ability on them.

So my options are return for different speakers OR get some wall mount or floor mount setup. Floor mount is out for a variety of reasons I won't bore you with.

So wall mounting, with a bit of googling I am thinking these VideoSecu mounts would be ideal for my usage needs.

I could screw the mounts onto the sides of the speakers but this is not ideal, some of the reviews mention some other methods and I am thinking that doing a velcro piece on the bottom plus a velcro strap over the top of the speakers would be the best method to use. velcro tape 5 yard roll and velcro sticky tape

Thoughts? Should I use screws? Velcro? Other?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I have those mounts and I didn't add anything extra. Just tightened the clamps on the sides. They have been great. I'm using smaller speakers than you though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've used similar to those wall mounts and popped a couple of small screws through the bottom of the speaker to secure it fully (there's holes to do so in the mount)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

jonathan posted:

I use one to power twin 18's and twin high excursion 12's. 2ohm load per channel.

I've run my fairly sensitive klipsch rf3's off it and didn't notice any different in clarity or issues with decay or distortion over my onkyo 818 receiver which is a workhorse receiver.

Basically my point is, BUDGET PRO AUDIO EVERYTHING TILL THE CAT PUKES AND YOU BREAK THE HOUSE PLUMBING. (true story would do again for the insurance claim).

I once watched a video where an SPL competitor actually ruptured reinforced unibody trying to hit 165db @ 80hz on a burp.

Quietly I've always wanted to pull off the same function on room framing @ 11hz.

My wife is well aware that if we ever move to a house where I can set up a dedicated listening space/home theater... poo poo's going to get a little crazy.

What are your enclosures tuned to? I do love me some low tuning.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

taqueso posted:

I have those mounts and I didn't add anything extra. Just tightened the clamps on the sides. They have been great. I'm using smaller speakers than you though.

I have the same mounts on some heavy klipsch kg 1.5s and they're fine after 4 and a half years.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've used similar to those wall mounts and popped a couple of small screws through the bottom of the speaker to secure it fully (there's holes to do so in the mount)

Yeah thinking on it more I will probably just do this and if I ever just have them unmounted in a different home I'll black epoxy the holes or something similar.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I have this TV: https://www.vizio.com/d50d1.html

It has analog out and SPDIF. I'm looking at getting a 2.1 soundbar, or 3.1 if that exists? Do the​y come in varieties that are below $100 without sounding like broken dicks?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I have this TV: https://www.vizio.com/d50d1.html

It has analog out and SPDIF. I'm looking at getting a 2.1 soundbar, or 3.1 if that exists? Do the​y come in varieties that are below $100 without sounding like broken dicks?

This is a pretty ok match if you get it refurbished:

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-C6-38-Inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B00SMBG8QY

Generally speaking I like Yamaha soundbars the most. They're reliable and sound decent. Your budget is too tight for any of them, but I'm going to suggest a couple anyway.

Basic Yamaha soundbar, YAS-105:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamyas105bl/yamaha-yas-105-sound-bar-with-dual-built-in-subwoofers/1.html

You get about as much bass out of that thing as you'd expect but other than that it plays audio clearly.

or

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...er-black/1.html

YSP-1400 is $270 refurb. At the price I think its a very good soundbar. The surround effect doesn't really work but it sounds clear and subwoofer is good for a wireless unit. You can get the soundbar without sub for $170 but I would spring for the whole package.

Both come with an Android app which doesn't look like rear end. Denon should hire those guys.

I wouldn't get any of these for music. All of them are pretty bad at it.

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I should've mentioned I'm looking at primarily gaming and​ movies so those sound great, thanks.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I have some family are willing to sell me a pair of Polk RTi10 and aside from some favorable reviews on Crutchfield, it's difficult to find on Google whether or not they're worth the buy. They seem to be quite the old speakers but if I would be unwise to buy them I'll have them list them locally online, it seems as though most sets are selling for $500+ in Canadian dollars as well. I wouldn't want to exploit the situation by buying them reselling them on family.

I'm currently using an old Energy Take Classic system I bought about 8 years ago that has served me well but I feel as though it's time for an upgrade on at least the fronts. If it isn't too dumb, I plan to continue to use the Take Classic's centre channel and rear speakers as well as its subwoofer. If necessary I will upgrade these as time progresses.

I'm also currently using an Onkyo TX-SR313 as my AV receiver. I plan to switch to a 4K
HDR TV in the nearish future from my 1080p plasma so I may need a receiver anyway but hopefully the TX-SR313 enough to power the Polks for now?

For whatever it's worth, $300 CAD is currently about $225 USD. They've also barely been used and have been in storage untouched for about 4-5 years.

Thanks!

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys,

I'm looking to set up a really simple audio system with my turntable (Audio Technica AT-LP60). It's going to be a 2.0 setup. The speakers I'm looking at getting are the Elac B6 bookshelf speakers (http://elac.com/product/debut-b6/). I've heard great things about them. I'm not going to be listening to anything super loud, mostly jazz, blues, post-rock, and some ambient. So it's more room-filling stuff, not a ton of low end bass at this point.

In doing some basic research, it looks like I'll at least need a t-amp to connect between my turntable and the speakers. Is this it? Can I get by without a receiver? I'm not going to have much room, and will only be running the turntable through the speakers (or my phone).

I want to keep the setup really clean and simple. The less wires the better, but I don't necessarily want wireless speakers.

Would this setup work? (turntable --> t-amp --> Elac B6 speakers). If it would, what's everyone's favorite t-amp? I've heard decent things about the Lepai LP-2020A.

Thanks again guys. I'm pretty new to this stuff, just starting to get into vinyl and audio stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, your AT-LP60 has a built-in preamp, so a T-amp is all you need.

That Lepai is the T-amp I have. Seems to work fine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey I want to set up speakers for my back yard. I have roughly a 100x100 ft area that I want to cover in this to have some background music while swimming, barbecuing, and such.

We are thinking of using this receiver from inside our garage:
Yamaha R-S202BL

And these speakers on opposite corners of our house, putting the speakers roughly 80ft apart:
Polk Audio Atrium 6

We are concerned this won't be enough and we need to more sound. Also, we are concerned that Bluetooth won't reach through the wall into the garage from the farther extents of that region. Should we stick with this or do something else?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey I want to set up speakers for my back yard. I have roughly a 100x100 ft area that I want to cover in this to have some background music while swimming, barbecuing, and such.

We are thinking of using this receiver from inside our garage:
Yamaha R-S202BL

And these speakers on opposite corners of our house, putting the speakers roughly 80ft apart:
Polk Audio Atrium 6

We are concerned this won't be enough and we need to more sound. Also, we are concerned that Bluetooth won't reach through the wall into the garage from the farther extents of that region. Should we stick with this or do something else?

For backyard listening I've always been a fan of JBL jrx-series and crown power amps.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

For backyard listening I've always been a fan of JBL jrx-series and crown power amps.

Funny that. My wife took this JBL kit as the high end of what to do:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-k9GrebPwMuI/p_700BREWBUN/JBL-Brewery-Bundle.html

Do you mean that wouldn't be overkill?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Hah, a 70V system. That would be weird for home use. They're great for background music (think grocery stores) because you can wire speakers in series all day using thin cables at long lengths and there are no impedance limitations. I've never heard one sound very good. I think the transformers suck for sound quality.

That system could be used as a standard amp (I think the 25AVs are 6 ohm when set to bypass) but then why pay for all of the transformers?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I need a cheap, used is fine, Dolby PL II amp. It can't be a Denon as I don't need the IR mixing up with my current Denon. Around 100 watts a channel.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KS posted:

Hah, a 70V system. That would be weird for home use. They're great for background music (think grocery stores) because you can wire speakers in series all day using thin cables at long lengths and there are no impedance limitations. I've never heard one sound very good. I think the transformers suck for sound quality.

That system could be used as a standard amp (I think the 25AVs are 6 ohm when set to bypass) but then why pay for all of the transformers?

Yeah constant voltage systems are good for paging a cleanup to aisle 2, and not much else imo.
Then again, trying to throw a bunch of sound out across a whole backyard isn't really audiophile territory anyway.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh I didn't even look at that link my wife sent me in enough detail to see it was a 70V system.

I'm reading up some more and it's looking to me like 100W isn't quite sufficient for what I'm doing. I am roughly trying to cover an 800-1000 square foot region. It is looking like I should try to get something more in the 200W territory, but generally not drive them that hard. My other issue is distinguishing outdoor speakers meant for a porch or something enclosed versus something that will have to take the occasional deluge of horizontal rain. We were hoping to hang these under the roof.

I just looked getting a pair of the Definitive Technology AW 6500 on Amazon. It sounded like it would have decent audio and the reach I needed, but a lot of the negative reviews complained that they filled up with water. The positive reviews tend to mention enclosed places.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I run the AW6500s on my back patio. They are under the roof but do get wet in big storms from horizontal rain.

I've never noticed them retaining water.

Would you have them out in open space? If so, I think they would be a bad choice because they need the passive radiator on the back to be able to bounce sound off of a hard surface to sound good.

If you're mounting them to a wall or under a roof, they are very nice sounding speakers.

I power mine with a Sony TA-N55ES rated at 110 rms per channel. I've never pushed them too hard but they're plenty loud to hear when I'm out in the back yard working.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Currently watching/listening to DREDD on the new setup thanks to this thread. Thinking Heat next. Also I want to mess with setting up the internet streaming, etc. Loving it so far.

fake edit: check post history for the setup, will post more details and varied impressions after some time

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then again, trying to throw a bunch of sound out across a whole backyard isn't really audiophile territory anyway.

You can RTA a back yard sir. :colbert:

Scour 2nd hand ads for old iron PA amps and speakers, throw a cheapo EQ in there if you're feeling fancy. Should set you back $250 tops as everyone's moving to 'digital' amplifiers so boat anchors are being sold for pennies. In a back yard situation you don't need stereo so ye olde line array them (put one upside down on the other) and run it in mono and you may be lucky enough to get them throwing sound a little better. Don't expect chest pounding bass though.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 22, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Old heavy-rear end PA amps are awesome. If you can get yourself some old Carver amps, buy them ASAP! You'll break your back trying to lift them, but you'll never ever be lacking in power.

My dad uses a pair of 2x700W Carver power amps for his band, one for the mains and one for the subs. They weigh a goddamn ton (like a good 30kg each), and we've never even been remotely close to making them break a sweat, no matter how hard we drive them.

I should snap a picture of the "buzz box" we made. It's a heavy duty 12U rack box on wheels, which houses the two Carver amps and a crossover, two IMG amps for monitors, and 3-phase power distribution. Of course, since my dad is a huge nerd, he custom-made electronics to make sure the power supply is good and not wired incorrectly, before the relays close and anything is allowed to turn on. It's one heavy little fucker (and on super heavy duty castors), but it's so nice having everything basically in one box.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 22, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Carver amps

Carver makes (made?) some really good poo poo. I had a Carver bass amp and a couple power amps and they were heavy as gently caress but they could pump out some serious sound.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

You guys were talking about 70V systems. What do you know about Crest CKI 800S amps? I believe they are 70V but the specs seem to indicate they would work for say, powering a subwoofer at 800 rms mono.

I can buy three of them at 20 bucks a pop. Is it worth messing with? Sounds like they have Balanced speaker level inputs. The guy said he took an RCA to XLR cable, removed the XLR end and hardwired the connections and it works fine.

They're these ones: http://cdn-docs.av-iq.com/dataSheet//CKi%20800s_datasheet.pdf

Thoughts?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
They're not 70v. I mean it would work, I guess, but jesus, 58 lbs of rackmount amp for a sub. My wife would murder me.

You can just strip any RCA cable and connect it to the +/- pins and you will likely not get any noise. The RCA to XLR cables I bought were single conductor anyways.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

KS posted:

They're not 70v. I mean it would work, I guess, but jesus, 58 lbs of rackmount amp for a sub. My wife would murder me.

You can just strip any RCA cable and connect it to the +/- pins and you will likely not get any noise. The RCA to XLR cables I bought were single conductor anyways.

Thanks for the info. I have everything hidden away in a central closet in our house so it passes WAF. I figure for $20 apiece, I might as well grab them and figure out what to do with them later. Perhaps use all 3 to power an IB subwoofer setup in the next house. Or, if I can find a cheap matrix audio control unit, set them up for whole home audio distribution via ethernet. Overkill but would be fun to play with if I can do it on the cheap.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Scrapez posted:

Thanks for the info. I have everything hidden away in a central closet in our house so it passes WAF. I figure for $20 apiece, I might as well grab them and figure out what to do with them later. Perhaps use all 3 to power an IB subwoofer setup in the next house. Or, if I can find a cheap matrix audio control unit, set them up for whole home audio distribution via ethernet. Overkill but would be fun to play with if I can do it on the cheap.

At $20 a pop this is a complete nobrainer, buy them already!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TV: Samsung KS8000
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-45

I haven't ever heard audio from my rear channels. I know they are functional speakers. I've plugged them in individually, as well as the auto-setup on the receiver- they work and make sound. But watching TV, Amazon, Netflix - never once have I heard any rear channel audio. I'm pretty sure my TV is configured correctly. I've tried optical to the receiver as well as HDMI ARC. Using both the built in SmartTV Netflix and Amazon apps, as well as a FireTV plugged straight into the receiver.

The receiver lights up displaying "Dolby Digital" or whatever, and indicates 5 speakers on the display. It does work and differentiates when the source is stereo.

Am I missing something?

edit- Oh jesus christ, the receiver was on Speakers A+B. Apparently this disables the rear channels. I put it to Speakers A only. Wow.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 24, 2017

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alleric posted:

I once watched a video where an SPL competitor actually ruptured reinforced unibody trying to hit 165db @ 80hz on a burp.

Quietly I've always wanted to pull off the same function on room framing @ 11hz.

My wife is well aware that if we ever move to a house where I can set up a dedicated listening space/home theater... poo poo's going to get a little crazy.

What are your enclosures tuned to? I do love me some low tuning.

Originally I had large sonotube enclosures tuned to 14hz and would play flat to 10hz in room, and were down -3db at 7hz. That was with the twin 18's. Now it's the 2 18's and 2 12's in smaller sealed enclosures because I like my girlfriends silence more than I like sub 20hz bass.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh I didn't even look at that link my wife sent me in enough detail to see it was a 70V system.

I'm reading up some more and it's looking to me like 100W isn't quite sufficient for what I'm doing. I am roughly trying to cover an 800-1000 square foot region. It is looking like I should try to get something more in the 200W territory, but generally not drive them that hard. My other issue is distinguishing outdoor speakers meant for a porch or something enclosed versus something that will have to take the occasional deluge of horizontal rain. We were hoping to hang these under the roof.

I just looked getting a pair of the Definitive Technology AW 6500 on Amazon. It sounded like it would have decent audio and the reach I needed, but a lot of the negative reviews complained that they filled up with water. The positive reviews tend to mention enclosed places.

You can get these at costco Canada for $199 I think. Might be much cheaper in the USA.
https://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/total-pa

Says they will handle continuous 110db, have built in amps and can be paired in stereo. Also they dig down to 55hz so they can handle hip hop type music without sounding like the bass has been muted.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Wibla posted:

At $20 a pop this is a complete nobrainer, buy them already!

I nabbed them.

The guy said they had like 50 of them at the city auction. He bought 12 of them for 10 bucks each. Sold 9 of them for 100 apiece and wanted these gone.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Still loving the new setup. Couple of questions, the receiver I have is the DENON AVR-X1100W.

It has an ethernet in option and claims the ability for Spotify streaming. Is there anything else the ethernet cable would allow me to do? Can I stream from a PC with PLEX/etc to the receiver via this ethernet connection?

Also, I have a coax antenna that picks up perfectly clear HD channels for me already and my cable box is a cheap deal with Comcast so no HD. Can I directly hook my coax antenna to the receiver via some sort of coax-to-HDMI device? If not, can I run it to the TV and then do audio out to the receiver? (This is how I ran my old receiver so I assume so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

It's been a week since I've attempted to fix video blacking out on my Denon AVR-S720W.

I did this:

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Also if you dont mind losing your settings try a factory reset:
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS720W/NA/EN/GFNFSYvyalrwrt.php

followed by this:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You may be able to get around it by making sure the receiver is fully powered up before your blu ray player or your chromecast, handshaking over HDMI can be a complete dick and cause issues like this. Maybe try powering up the receiver leaving it 20 seconds before firing up the TV and the blu ray player just to see what it does.

and also added a new HDMI cable.

Happy to report the problem seems to be fixed. Thanks all!

One more thing. I have a video Chromecast connected to one of the HDMI inputs, and an audio Chromecast connected to the optical input. I can configure receiver so that both Chromecasts sit on Media Player input, but then how do I switch between HDMI and optical inputs to select either video or audio Chromecast? Am I doing something that's fundamentally wrong?