Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Baronjutter posted:

NY is pretty different in the expanse. Both from sea level rise but also lots of street changes. It looks like they made their 3d model of NY mostly from scratch. I did a quick trace of the coastline.

Wow, that's pretty cool. I never would have noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

NY is pretty different in the expanse. Both from sea level rise but also lots of street changes. It looks like they made their 3d model of NY mostly from scratch.

Was there a quick shot of central park in there a little later? Curious if that's different. I think there was a bigger lake but I dunno.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone have any other NY shots from the show? I know they do a lot of little skylines and fly-bys. Id' love to compare and contrast with current day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NmareBfly posted:

Was there a quick shot of central park in there a little later? Curious if that's different. I think there was a bigger lake but I dunno.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

NY is pretty different in the expanse. Both from sea level rise but also lots of street changes. It looks like they made their 3d model of NY mostly from scratch. I did a quick trace of the coastline.

Stuytown/Peter Cooper Village gridded through, immersion ruined.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Clearly just an actual unchanged photo of the current park with some scify towers added. So many of the trees haven't grown or changed in 200 years ! MY IMMERSION!!!!!1

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

I mentioned that post because it was quite plainly something that hadn't happened in the show yet. I don't think I'm being overly emotional about it; part of the point was to show how easily innocuous things can be spoilers. If I had posted it I would have used spoiler tags, and I think it was impolite not to do so. The rubric should be 'if it wasn't on screen and probably will be in a future episode, I should use spoiler tags.' That's all I was saying. I don't want to digress into a dumb spoiler slapfight so I'll leave it at that.

I quite liked Holden loving everything up worse by trying to help.

I didn't like Prax's two lines of dialog about Ganymede having a magnetosphere and people going there to gestate because of it. As a concept and part of the setting it's one of my favorite bits, but it felt clumsily handled dialog-wise. It's a snippet of exposition explained to people in-world who already 100% know it and have known it all their lives, so it didn't land well for me. I love the Actual Science things to bits, and I wish we had more downtime on Ganymede earlier to talk about it and Prax's life pre-shitstorm. Like, drop the factoid about the magnetosphere in a background video while someone's riding a tram or something, I dunno. You could have an infographic of the friendly magnetic force field bouncing Jupiter's radiation and leaving behind a host of happy children in a scene at the daycare? I guess filming a couple bits in Ganymede prior to the disaster would have been mighty expensive, though -- why build a pristine daycare set for one scene when you know you're just going to set fire to it?

Also they've talked a lot about the refugee crisis and food shortage but it's odd that lot of people denigrate Ganymede as 'a farm' when the place is theoretically chock full of pregnant ladies and the disaster might have hosed up a whole generation of kids being raised there.

Dropping in the Drake Equation felt even more awkward.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Dropping in the Drake Equation felt even more awkward.

It kind of worked with the Iturbi–Janus dynamic.

Janus isn’t the type to know the Drake Equation, and even if he did, Iturbi would explain it just to antagonise him.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/HarshThornyCoqui.webm

The props/sets people built these rolling workstations just for this gag, I think.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I couldn't think of any reason that poo poo needed to roll like that.

And that bald military scientist is just an rear end in a top hat for no reason.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
eh, as far as Janus knows this Alex Jones esque conspiracy theorist wormed his way onto an essential scientific expedition. I'd be contemptuous in his place too

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

And that bald military scientist is just an rear end in a top hat for no reason.
Actually, I'm pretty sympathetic to him just because that other guy is such an rear end in a top hat.

He might be right, but he's still being a jerk about it.

As a side note, I liked how Star Trek (but more practical) the bridge of that survey ship felt.

NmareBfly posted:

I didn't like Prax's two lines of dialog about Ganymede having a magnetosphere and people going there to gestate because of it. As a concept and part of the setting it's one of my favorite bits, but it felt clumsily handled dialog-wise. It's a snippet of exposition explained to people in-world who already 100% know it and have known it all their lives, so it didn't land well for me.
I put it down to Prax being an awkward scientist with his head in the clouds, explaining things he doesn't realize don't need to be explained... but that's clearly rationalizing it as he wasn't really giving off that vibe in general.

I agree it's a really neat detail.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

I think because there is no rotating gravity and the crew is using mag boots.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I really love how much they're letting Avasarala be Avasarala this season.

She might be my favorite character.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Finally saw the episode, the whole martians are little bitches on Earth theme was a way bigger deal in the show than I remember from the books

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whoever the gently caress you are, stand down and let her speak. :commissar:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope Avasarala and the player characters get to interact more in the future. They've what, maybe exchanged a few messages and she visited his moms?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Smiling Jack posted:

Finally saw the episode, the whole martians are little bitches on Earth theme was a way bigger deal in the show than I remember from the books

I'm kinda surprised the Martian Embassy isn't like packed full of soldiers living and training there all the time.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm kinda surprised the Martian Embassy isn't like packed full of soldiers living and training there all the time.

The show actually goes a bit more in depth than the books, there's a big difference between training there, living there, and growing up there, as referenced by the magic bone density pills (which I guess are either hideously expensive or have massive long term side effexts or all the Martians would take them)

The idea that Bobby can't function there in a combat situation isn't correct, as both the Martians and Earthers use power armor. Earth Space Marines would suffer from lesser, but significant effects on physiology from extended low / zero G environments. Power armor equalizes the playing field and allows your forces to wreck poo poo even after suffering muscle loss and bone atrophy.

The show has Bobby and crew doing a lot of maintenance and fitting on those suits which implies that they are difficult to maintain and fitted to the user. I imagine they are also pretty expensive.

Some of the embassy guards seem to be wearing the power suits.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 24, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Excited to see how Ganymede goes down. And having Holden gently caress up the Somnambulist situation was a nice touch; it was a weird place to end the episode, but having real and immediate consequences for his idealistic bravado keeps the character grounded.

Also, more space lasagna :woop:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Going back to gravity differences, in the first episode Avasarala tortures a Belter by forcing him to stand up, and comments that one gravity is literally killing him.

Keep in mind that all the Belter characters (including Naomi and Miller) are supposed to look like that guy- Belters are so different from "normal" humans that Earthers treat them like another species entirely.

Gravity differences would show up in other ways as well. In Arthur C Clarke's 2010, one character who lived on the moon for a long time breaks both legs jumping from a second story balcony- this is normal in Lunar gravity, and despite knowing the difference intellectually, he does it reflexively as jumping down twenty feet is normal on the moon. Something as simple as walking up the stairs would require significant attention as your feet aren't going to be where you expect them to be. Keeping your balance would be difficult, running nearly impossible.

This works in both directions, going from high g to low and vice versa. Special effects budgets limit it on screen but martians or lunies or belters on low g stations should be seen bouncing down hallways and caroming around corners like parkour practitioners on crack cocaine while Earthers would have to concentrate on walking down the hall without accidentally jumping five feet in the air.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
There are no silent J's in Portuguese damnit :redass:

Other than that, good episode, Avasarala owns.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

theghostpt posted:

There are no silent J's in Portuguese damnit :redass:

Other than that, good episode, Avasarala owns.

It was a joke to make the cranky guy's name sound like "anus"

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

withak posted:

It was a joke to make the cranky guy's name sound like "anus"

I know, I was just being pedantic since I'm portuguese :)

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Book reader human being here;
On the Avasarala musings about the no vac suit:
Did they hand over Bobbies armor, or just parade it?
Ie still having the door open for definitive proof of a protomolecyle soldier

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Daktari posted:

Book reader human being here;
On the Avasarala musings about the no vac suit:
Did they hand over Bobbies armor, or just parade it?
Ie still having the door open for definitive proof of a protomolecyle soldier
I'd guess they just showed it off. I'm not super into how they're handling this compared to the books:
there's no camera on the suit which is why they introduced the mystery drone but I guess there could be physical evidence left on the armor?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
They said they were turning over her power armour for the UN to examine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
  1. There was never good data in the suit.
  2. There was good data, but the Martians destroyed it.
  3. Evidence of the false narrative was planted.

In any of these scenarios, Martian spooks have overlooked something.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now they really do seem to be stretching things out to fill out 4 more episodes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Drone Jett posted:

Washington Post affiliated blog had an article on the Expanse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...it-for-it-syfy/
They're linked a video to the run of the Tachi in the article. Watching it again, I'm surprised that I don't remember anyone complaining about bullet impacts spraying like fireworks being "unrealistic". Which is physically correct, because the metal bits don't cool off as fast in a vacuum.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

Now they really do seem to be stretching things out to fill out 4 more episodes

The pacing of the Venus, Ganymede, and Bobby/Avasarala stories will be interesting. Ganymede could be done in 2 if they wanted. Venus is so far off the pace of the books I'm not sure where they take it by season end, but they could probably finish it out in four episodes. Bobby and Avasarala probably need three episodes, four isn't a stretch.

Based on episode titles I have a guess on how they pace the Ganymede stuff (slowly) and the other two plots precede so that all of the book 2 plots wrap up with the last episode of this season.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How come Ganymede has a mafia and poo poo? It seems like it should be a fairly efficient affluent little colony and having armed gangs extorting ships as they dock is like failed-state levels of lawlessness. Is it just how some lovely people responded to the disaster or was it always like that? If mars is currently controlling the facility why don't they have some troops there keeping ordering?

I never got a sense of the size of it. From the show it looks like some minor isolated facility with a few domes and a few dozen staff, but evidently it's more like a whole city.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

It wasn't a mafia. they were wearing Star Helix uniforms, who were the private police organization Miller worked for.

It implies society has broken down to the extent the security forces went from providing security, to skimming supplies, to straight "gently caress this we're outta here" levels of anarchy.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's a bleeding edge biology research station that also produces a huge chunk of the organics that feed the belt. The mafia was probably just armed rear end in a top hat taking advantage of the fact that earth and Mars are too busy to do anything g about it since they're pointing guns at each other.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So Star Helix are basically local belter mercs that the "inners" hire to impose their rule on various belt colonies and installations?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
There's starvation and the economy collapsed. The ecosystem and life support is also on the verge of a negative cascade effect (see next episode title). In the books all populations are much bigger, but Ganymede was some multiple of Ceres (the biggest port) because it has space, magnetosphere, and most belter babies and almost all belter food is grown there.

Prax's changed story elides how huge the disaster is. He had to eat life support plants to survive for that first week or two before relief supplies arrived.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That seems like the sort of thing where a huge UN or Mars fleet of cargo ships would just show up and take care of everything as quickly as possible.
Then again so did hurricane katrina. Inners don't care about belt people.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

That seems like the sort of thing where a huge UN or Mars fleet of cargo ships would just show up and take care of everything as quickly as possible.
Then again so did hurricane katrina. Inners don't care about belt people.

You're Mars and the UN blew up one of your moons and fought you over Ganymede. The belt is in rebellion and declaring independence intermittently like Ceres did. How much money do you want to invest in providing food to belters instead of planetary defense? How much to fix their food infrastructure after some significant period of time, assuming it won't get blown up again since hostilities haven't shown any signs of dying down?

And in this world it's cheaper to build orbital mirrors and domes on Ganymede and ship food from there to the belt than it is to ship food from Earth to the belt. It's not a given that there are enough long term supplies or shipping to fix this quickly or sustainably.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Baronjutter posted:

Inners don't care about belt people.

:vince:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is why everyone should be living on self-sufficient space wheels or space tubes. The whole economy and living conditions in the expanse is really lovely. It all feels like super short term temporary infrastructure that's been pressed into long term service without any long term plan because who the gently caress cares about belters so long as the resources keep coming. And the belters of course see none of the profit of their own labour so have no resources to improve things. The entire belt is like a giant company town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Baronjutter posted:

The whole economy and living conditions in the expanse is really lovely. It all feels like super short term temporary infrastructure that's been pressed into long term service without any long term plan because who the gently caress cares about belters so long as the resources keep coming.

So in terms of speculative fiction it's pretty spot on?

Also quoting myself

NmareBfly posted:

Also they've talked a lot about the refugee crisis and food shortage but it's odd that lot of people denigrate Ganymede as 'a farm' when the place is theoretically chock full of pregnant ladies and the disaster might have hosed up a whole generation of kids being raised there.

Because now that I think of that just goes to show how much belter babies are valued. Earth babies happen on Earth, Mars babies happen on Mars. Belter nurseries are farms because the 'people' that emerge just more grist for the mill for the inners to chew up and digest. I initially forgot that these are belter kids we're talking about.

• Locked thread