Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Oh drat, I could have sworn it said nova was a detonator. Maybe I just assumed.

What's a good ability to use against armor? There are a few that claim to be but the don't seem to do any more damage than a shotgun blast or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Can anyone confirm, on my ship I hit a button that told me the percentage of livability on planets and it looked like there were only five slots . Does this mean that's all there are to explore or just the only ones you can make colonies on? I've done three so far and I'm really hoping the game isn't almost over. The story feels like it was just picking up.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm trying to do a build around Singularity, what are the best detonators for it? It gets +150% vs. shields later on so maybe incinerate?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Moola posted:

no actually its really good game

it beats the dumb kissy lips and tits the cat people have

The female angara kind of look like...miniatures from a table top game, with exaggerated lips so you know they're ladies and the like, just blown up to full size.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Spikeguy posted:

Can anyone confirm, on my ship I hit a button that told me the percentage of livability on planets and it looked like theI re were only five slots . Does this mean that's all there are to explore or just the only ones you can make colonies on? I've done three so far and I'm really hoping the game isn't almost over. The story feels like it was just picking up.

I kind of assumed you'd be hitting up all the "golden worlds" which would be like 5 or 7 i forget. I think I know the thing you're talking about, and if I'm right, those slots indicate like 20/40/60/80/100% viability on one planet, like a progress meter for that planet or whatev.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Is there any recommended way to rank up Nexus level as quickly as possible? I'd rather get some of those time-based gathering bonuses ticking before diving super deep into sidequests.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Androc posted:

Is there any recommended way to rank up Nexus level as quickly as possible? I'd rather get some of those time-based gathering bonuses ticking before diving super deep into sidequests.

Save or memory editor.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

marshmallow creep posted:

The female angara kind of look like...miniatures from a table top game, with exaggerated lips so you know they're ladies and the like, just blown up to full size.

Pretty much, they look the worst cheesecake Infinity minis

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I haven't seen any enemies with Biotic Barriers, are those not a thing anymore? I guess Overload and Incinerate cover every type of overshield in that case

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

"We put a lot more female aliens in this game. Like there are so many female turian npcs now."

"Great. What about the Salarians?"

"Oh poo poo...uh...just stick some lipstick on the male model, should be good."

The Salarian sex ratio at birth is like 1000:1.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

black.lion posted:

I kind of assumed you'd be hitting up all the "golden worlds" which would be like 5 or 7 i forget. I think I know the thing you're talking about, and if I'm right, those slots indicate like 20/40/60/80/100% viability on one planet, like a progress meter for that planet or whatev.

Yeah the reason it had me worried is because they show the names of the three I've been to and ?????? for two more slots. I'd hope there be more planets than that though.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wasn't the salarian councilor female.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Wasn't the salarian councilor female.

In ME3, you meet a Salarian Dalatrass, as I recall.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Spikeguy posted:

Yeah the reason it had me worried is because they show the names of the three I've been to and ?????? for two more slots. I'd hope there be more planets than that though.

I think there are 7, but that includes Habitat 7 that you never revisit and the cat people homeworld that you can't colonize.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
In the vault on Voeld The purification field console wouldn't work, and no matter what I did try, it ceased to function. I then just quit the game and started over... the game spawned me next to the tempest, and the entire color palette for the world was all hosed up. Black skies, overly bright surface. It didn't correct until I went back into the vault. The game was using the lighting parameters for inside an underground facility for the overworld. :psyduck:

Also, I bet it's still loving broken.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

I'd hope there be more planets than that though.

nope

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Moola posted:

Pretty much, they look the worst cheesecake Infinity minis

I have no real experience with the brand, so I went to look them up and lol.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So am I right that there's no stash like there was in DA:I?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Yup. The game has straight up broken and I can't progress any further regardless of what I do.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Falken posted:

Yup. The game has straight up broken and I can't progress any further regardless of what I do.

Can you reload a previous save? Like maybe one from an hour or two before? It sucks to have to re-do stuff, but better than the alternative.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Kurieg posted:

So am I right that there's no stash like there was in DA:I?

If there is one, I sure as poo poo can't find it. I've been trashing everything I'm not wearing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Saves are really broken. If you start a new game after loading another save the quest parameters will be all hosed up. Someone else was complaining that exiting and reentering a vault caused that quest to restart. Zero QA went into this game, it works as long you don't go out of the path they expect you to take. :v:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Slim Killington posted:

If there is one, I sure as poo poo can't find it. I've been trashing everything I'm not wearing.

You can spend a cryo point or whatever on more inventory space.

edit: Also the combat finally starting clicking with me last night. Fighting that giant flying monster thing on Voeld finally got me used to dashing around and swapping abilities and poo poo like that. Really enjoying it now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Reminder that Inquisition didn't launch with a stash either, making the inventory upgrades god drat near essential if you were going to use the crafting system to make specialized gear for different situations, which is arguably what it was meant for. At least in this game you only have to worry about kitting out yourself, but there are so many augments and mods that you might need later that I'm sure people actually playing it would go quickly mad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Augments at least don't seem to take up inventory space, Mods do.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So after roughly 20 hours game is still good, and I got into the typical big-rpg groove that I only really get when playing these kinds of games anymore. Absolutely happy overall, though some of the bad things are slowly really getting on my nerves.

The biggest one is movement by a big margin. It is just so clunky, and feels this close to actually being fun. The jumppack is generally cool, but just too puny. Make the jumps a tiny bit higher, make the dash considerably further when not fighting, or remove the reset time. It's really annoying to constantly dash-grunt-dash-grunt somewhere. Also I constantly get stuck on random things, which is further aggravated by the jumping-from-ledge-to-surface animation just not working propably most of the time.

Related to this, discovering the maps is generally cool, but they are too big. It's just a drag to move from point A to B and needing 5 minutes with the buggy that's just going over ice/sand. Make the drat thing faster at least.

Other than that, having a great time!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

You can spend a cryo point or whatever on more inventory space.

It gives you a whopping 15 extra slots

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

The Salarian sex ratio at birth is like 1000:1.

I was actually commenting on Biowares design decisions wrt Salarian sexual diversity compared with other species.

BrianWilly posted:

I like this, frankly. They're perfectly suited for being an androgynous species.

That's actually a fair point, I hadn't considered it. I wonder if they've ever talked publicly about their design process and how they approach stuff like this.

Falken posted:

That sucks. :( I had the game freeze during a loading screen after I first met Jaal and I had to restart the game to get passed it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

That sucks. :( I had the game freeze during a loading screen after I first met Jaal and I had to restart the game to get passed it.

I had the exact same freeze on PS4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lakbay posted:

I had the exact same freeze on PS4

:same:

Worked fine after I force closed the app and restarted though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That's actually a fair point, I hadn't considered it. I wonder if they've ever talked publicly about their design process and how they approach stuff like this.

They did for the Kett at least. I'm pretty sure they did for the original game too, but it's been a decade so I'm not sure.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just love how broken this game is. Jaal just teleported me across the tempest because he decided that he wanted to talk to me in a different room. Also the door to his room triggered a dialogue when I tried to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJQtu4aMQQ4

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Nomad bad, so what. I'll tell you what.

The toggle on/off of the 6 wheel drive is dumb (and necessary at absurdly small inclines), but what really makes it bad is how clumsy it is to drive. I hated the wonky driving in ME1, where moving the aim of the cannon for some reason also adjusted your driving, now we don't have a cannon but still have the direction of travel adjusted by both sticks. As far as I can figure out one is supposed to aim the vehicle, the other just chances your POV, which also fucks up an otherwise straightforward directional command. Triggers to go forward and back are also dumb.

2/10, maybe 4/10 once I get some upgrades.

Yeah aiming should be separate from steering, but I do like the the 2WD-6WD toggle because it adds a bit of extra function and depth to the Nomad, like in Battlefield where you switch can switch between 2 gears. Why do you think triggers for gas/brake is dumb?. That's how racing games control and it's much better than using the thumbstick with steering, because you can adjust speed independently of turning. It's more authentic too I think.

I wish there was a cockpit/interior view as well, to make long driving trips more immersive than with the camera stuck behind the Nomad. I would also like a brief 2-3sec animation for Ryder and crew climbing in and disembarking, not just instantly pop out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How's the game say. 10 to 15 hours after EOS? Does it have any good story hooks?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Biggest technical issue I've encountered so far is some serious frame rate drops when taking on a Kett base on Eos. Playing on PS4.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

psyman posted:

I would also like a brief 2-3sec animation for Ryder and crew climbing in and disembarking, not just instantly pop out.

Watching this for the 400th time when you're just trying to grab some platinum you drove past would get real annoying.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hulk Krogan posted:

Watching this for the 400th time when you're just trying to grab some platinum you drove past would get real annoying.

Maybe you shouldnt have to get out of your future car to pick up ore by hand?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

They specifically said they tested it with an animation and that's exactly what happened in playtesting.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Norns posted:

Collecting resources because you advance the viabilty of the planet the point your people can go collect that poo poo for themselves and just forward you your share would probably go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Norns posted:

Well, yeah.