Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

Cid Raines is :discourse:, throw a hero soul into picking him up if you have one

He's a mage, right? I've already got Quistis and Rinoa (and both their bursts too), does that make him lower priority? Not that I'll object to another mage in general, but I intend to draw once on each of the upcoming fest banners and I might need my Hero Souls then in case I get something crazy like Orlandeau's breaks - I don't have many of them, though I do have a few. Six, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Cid's BSB is arguably the best in the game right now so right on dude!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Prism posted:

He's a mage, right? I've already got Quistis and Rinoa (and both their bursts too), does that make him lower priority? Not that I'll object to another mage in general, but I intend to draw once on each of the upcoming fest banners and I might need my Hero Souls then in case I get something crazy like Orlandeau's breaks - I don't have many of them, though I do have a few. Six, I think.

he's a mage yeah, but he's arguably the best mage in the game at the moment with his burst. as long as you're consistently going as far as you can in the weekly events hero souls are extremely common so i wouldn't worry too much about saving them for later while you're sitting on his burst.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Oh. Well! I had no idea you meant he was that good. Off to buy him!

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 24, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Prism posted:

Oh. Welp! I had no idea you meant he was that good. Off to buy it.

Part of the reason he's so good is that his BSB boosts the party's magic, so he buffs your other mages. Also, since it's actually a MAG/DEF boost, it will stack with other magic party boosts like Sheepsong. It's pretty good!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

U-DO Burger posted:

Part of the reason he's so good is that his BSB boosts the party's magic, so he buffs your other mages. Also, since it's actually a MAG/DEF boost, it will stack with other magic party boosts like Sheepsong. It's pretty good!

I have no other mage full-party boosts, I don't think, but they'll probably show up eventually. Is it worth putting him under Doom for the added bonus on the burst itself? I mean, he can use Memento Mori out of the box.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Prism posted:

I have no other mage full-party boosts, I don't think, just single-target ones. Is it worth putting him under Doom for the added bonus on the burst itself?

it's actually kind of not. in addition to the full party boost, one of his burst commands then boosts his own personal magic even higher, but it won't stack with the magic boost from memento mori, the thing you would use to give him doom. then, his other command becomes instant cast after the first time you use it. the actual entry damage is kind of just a cherry on top.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just won myself an Iga Blade for Ramza today!

Now, I already have Shout, so how do I operate Ramza now that I also have his burst?

Do I move him off of the Support Role and have him alternate between his Burst and Shouting? Do I ignore his Burst entirely and keep shouting and breakdown-ing? What's the most effective play?

Unrelated: Why would they put a bonus XP dungeon in the FFVI event during Orbfest? It seems like a waste.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

it's actually kind of not. in addition to the full party boost, one of his burst commands then boosts his own personal magic even higher, but it won't stack with the magic boost from memento mori, the thing you would use to give him doom. then, his other command becomes instant cast after the first time you use it. the actual entry damage is kind of just a cherry on top.

Ah, didn't realize Lingering Spirit didn't stack with Memento Mori. I'm still kind of learning what stacks with what. Yeah, that makes that decision easy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

update: i have just checked and they actually will stack. but i stand by my previous statement on principle because it'll still be overkill in most cases.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

(it's probably not overkill in most cases)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Uncle Ulty posted:

I just won myself an Iga Blade for Ramza today!

Now, I already have Shout, so how do I operate Ramza now that I also have his burst?

Do I move him off of the Support Role and have him alternate between his Burst and Shouting? Do I ignore his Burst entirely and keep shouting and breakdown-ing? What's the most effective play?

Unrelated: Why would they put a bonus XP dungeon in the FFVI event during Orbfest? It seems like a waste.
I mostly ignore the Burst unless it's late in a fight and I have excess gauge.

This event didn't line up with JP's fest so that's why the EXP dungeon feels out of place

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Haven't played this game much lately but started to burn through dungeons and such for the anniversary, as well as pull on the lucky banners:

1st banner, 2/11 - 2nd Yshtola BSB and some SSB I forget already.
2nd banner, 4/11 - 2nd Agrias shield, Aegis Shield(III), Veil of Wiyu, Flame Staff(IX)
3rd banner, 2/11 - Sleipnir's Tail, Onion Gauntlets :toot:

I already had leylines and sheepsong, as well as deployment tactics and Maria's BSB. I think this game really wants me to swap from physical to magical teams because holy hell those 2nd and 3rd banner pulls. :stare:

I could also run an earth squad with Ignus, Rydia, and Maria, plus OK and Y'shtola.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
4/11 today. All Bursts.
Steiner's Enhancer
Raijin's Staff
Sazhs Rigels
and Yuna's Summoner's Garb.

I still need a got dang medica burst

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

Definitely not for me since I can't get anyone to 99. More damage is always better.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Johnny Aztec posted:

and Yuna's Summoner's Garb.

I still need a got dang medica burst

Might want to read what that does :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Prism posted:

Definitely not for me since I can't get anyone to 99. More damage is always better.

in my defense despite having been apparently using it wrong this whole time i have never been disappointed in the sheer amount of damage it can poo poo out, albeit that's been with a full armory of incredible mage relics at my disposal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

3/33 on the whole thing. Lenna's SSB, Steiner's BSB, and Rydia's BSB. Could be worse, but...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Zurai posted:

Might want to read what that does :)

To be fair for straight up healing I find it to be a tad on the weak side. The utility more than makes up for it though.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

It's not. Stacking all 3 together puts Raines just shy of the buff/magic cap. It's the major reason why he's so good; he can be entirely self-contained to cap magic buffs for his BSB 1 command chains and thus slot into nearly any team.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

as the guy above me says it really boils down to swapping people in and out based on mastery and the specific boss, and i think your setup is perfectly fine as is, but the reason i asked is you can probably load up your onion knight as your full break+breakdown pack mule and swap out setzer for one of your raw damage do-ers

The way the game's going, Setzer won't be replaced even by OK's Supp 5. Setzer's a full-on stackable reverse wall (I think he can quadruple debuff attacks?) which makes him (and those like him) extremely valuable, especially as the game moves away from Wall meta with more piercing attacks. OK's best role alongside Setzer (or other debuffers) is probably spamming his BSB and maybe entrusting to your primary damage unit for OSBs.

I'd probably pull on the VI banner for him, but I'm not interested in the Locke stuff or most of the banner for that matter.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

acumen posted:

I did this even before I got his BSB for some reason.
Raines/Edea/Papalymo/Onion Knight (on support)/Vanille is a loving ridiculous mage team, grats

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

The way the game's going, Setzer won't be replaced even by OK's Supp 5. Setzer's a full-on stackable reverse wall (I think he can quadruple debuff attacks?) which makes him (and those like him) extremely valuable, especially as the game moves away from Wall meta with more piercing attacks. OK's best role alongside Setzer (or other debuffers) is probably spamming his BSB and maybe entrusting to your primary damage unit for OSBs.

I'd probably pull on the VI banner for him, but I'm not interested in the Locke stuff or most of the banner for that matter.

i should probably just stop giving advice on this game in general

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

oh boy, 1/11. I've seen nobody talk about FF2 Emperor's BSB and have no idea if it's even decent at all. Hell, I'm not even sure how he is as a character... just another darkness black mage without MC3 cap right now? At least I'm one step closer to making a goofy Wind themed team, although I need an Imperil to go along with this, Bartz Cloak, and Luneth BSB.

I skipped the Curaga Lucky Draw so I'm 2/22 on these last two draws. Hopefully things turn around...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechanics question: does Ace Striker/Battleforged affect the total SB gain from using Wrath? The PDF says that Wrath gives 36% of a bar, does that mean that with the RMs it would give 54%?

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Well poo poo, looks like I'm a bonafide Vaan BSB haver now. Also picked up Galuf but I don't care about that as much.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Shock Trooper posted:

oh boy, 1/11. I've seen nobody talk about FF2 Emperor's BSB and have no idea if it's even decent at all

let's put it like this: the weapon is +dark, but the burst is enwind.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Mechanics question: does Ace Striker/Battleforged affect the total SB gain from using Wrath? The PDF says that Wrath gives 36% of a bar, does that mean that with the RMs it would give 54%?

It does. With one of those rms wrath gives a little over half a bar.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LornMarkus posted:

Well poo poo, looks like I'm a bonafide Vaan BSB haver now. Also picked up Galuf but I don't care about that as much.
Galuf BSB is largely considered the best Imperil BSB out there due to the heals on the commands. Dunno whether you have the fire stuff to take advantage of it though.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

My haul this morning:

Leila's Gladius
Galuf's Sledgehammer
:siren: Firion's Sun Blade :siren:

I keep on getting something awesome, and I keep on getting 3/11. My luck is finally taking a good turn after all the crap 1/11s I've had leading up to this. Now let's hope it holds out for the rest of the anniversary...

And now I also have to figure out how to fit Firion in my current Holy team. I'd be down either Beatrix's imperil, which is even better with the recent updates, or Agrias's Cleansing Strike debuff.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

iPodschun posted:

This event didn't line up with JP's fest so that's why the EXP dungeon feels out of place

Got it, thanks!

So JP is a 'different game' when that excuse helps the Devs get out of doing extra work. But it's the same game when making it different would require some extra effort. I see now.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
JP Superfest Banners were announced, and with 14 items on the banner that's 1% each. Maybe, but JP will know for sure since they show banner rates now.

Banners are structured 2 LCSB/2 USB/6 BSB/2 LM Relics/2 SSB

Anyways a quick summary and intro of new items:

~~~

Fire/Earth Banner
Locke LCSB - 11 hit Single Target Fire, Activate Fire Limit Chain, DEF/RES -50%
Ingus LCSB - 11 hit Single Target Earth, activate earth Limit Chain, Party Last Stand
Galuf USB - ATK/MAG +30%, Haste, En-earth

Yda USB
Guy BSB - 6 hit AoE Earth/Non, Imperil Earth. (Commands are Cloud BSB2 but Earth)
Locke BSB
Ingus BSB
Yda BSB
Tifa BSB
Sabin BSB
Locke LM - Start with Enfire
Ingus LM - Damage reduction with shield equipped

Prishe SSB
Sabin SSB2 (The Medica one)

Wind/Water Banner

Zack LCSB
Tidus LCSB (Now adds Quick Cast 2 to the Party, previously had no bonus effect. I don't think this was added the day they upgraded Shantotto and WoL, but maybe I never noticed???)
Eiko USB
:siren:Rikku USB:siren:
Zack BSB
Tidus BSB
Meia BSB
Emperor BSB
Rikku BSB
Zidane BSB2
Zack LM - Chance of following up Celerity school attacks with 1-hit physical wind attack
Tidus LM
Meia SSB
Fujin SSB

Ice/Lightning Banner
Rinoa LCSB
Shantotto LCSB
Fran USB
Tyro USB
Snow BSB - Onion BSB with Ice/Non commands(1: 4/5 hit single target if hitting weakness; 2: 2 Aoe hits, DEF +50%)
Rinoa BSB2
Lightning BSB2
Garnet BSB2
Edea BSB
Desch BSB
Tyro LM - Instant Cast 2 at Start of Battle
Rinoa LM
Laguna SSB
Desch SSB

~~~

edit:
Locke's Limit Chain is weird considering the Magicite Dungeons have high Break resistance but whatever. Galuf's USB trades the Burst Mode on Onion/Snow for Enearth, which is a horrible trade even before considering Galuf's limited Earth ability options. Don't care much about LM's but Locke's is fine.

Not much to say about banner 2 except Cloud USB is never coming back. Banner 3 is also nice. Snow has the Onion BSB clone which is sorta surprising, and Tyro's LM is nice. Almost everyone who isn't new has a Tyro relic so it's probably the only LM I don't mind being on a banner.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 24, 2017

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I am three 4* Vitality motes short of being able to Record Dive OK to Support 5. :negative:

I've filled out his Knight, Warrior, Ranger, Black Mage, White Mage, Magus and Devout spheres, so he at least has Black 6 and White 5 access, and I could theoretically dive him to have either Combat 6 (meh) or Ninja 5/Celerity 5. Not gonna bother with Red Mage or Sage until I've unlocked everything else because Vitality motes are scarce enough as it is, and I don't feel like spending them on stat boosts when I could be unlocking more skill sets for him.

So basically, I'm wondering which of these options I should go with:

1) Wait until I have enough motes to dive him for Support 5.
2) Dive him to Ninja 5 so he can use 5* Ninja spells.
3) Dive him to Ninja 5/Celerity 5 so that I can use 5* Ninja spells and will have access to 6* Celerity skills whenever I get around to finishing those Nightmares.
4) Dive him to Combat 6 so that he'll be able to use Omega Drive whenever I get around to finishing that Nightmare.
5) Just wait until I have enough motes to fully dive him on the physical side (Support, Combat, Ninja and Celerity).

He's already at the level cap, and I don't have any of his other SBs.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Total haul:

Aerith BSB (Dupe)
Vanille SSB (Dupe)
Lenna SSB

Yuffie BSB
Sephiroth SB

Tyro BSB
Firion BSB
Decil BSB
Yuna BSB1

Tiny Bee is lol, Decil BSB is whatever, but the other three are really nice. Lenna SSB is good for V CMs, and the rest are all decent stat sticks if nothing else. For 75 mythril I am happy. Now lets see what Ultros brings me.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You will get 10 4* Vitality motes for free tomorrow.

W.T. Fits posted:

I am three 4* Vitality motes short of being able to Record Dive OK to Support 5. :negative:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

W.T. Fits posted:

We're getting 10 4* Vitality Motes as a reward for one of the minigames. It should be coming soon, but there's so much going on right now I can't remember when.

edit: ^

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Prav posted:

let's put it like this: the weapon is +dark, but the burst is enwind.

Yeah I figured not to get my hopes up.

But at least I have a +dark stick for other darkness mages....? Except nobody ever needs FF2 synergy. well,

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Aurora posted:

I got Meteor XVI and The Blitz, those are good right

Meteor XVI is arguably top 3 mage bursts

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Vivi's and Rinoa's Bursts. Those are both kinda meh, right? They look meh, especially when you have stuff like Quistis, Alphanerd and Ashe bursts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

bilperkins2 posted:

Vivi's and Rinoa's Bursts. Those are both kinda meh, right? They look meh, especially when you have stuff like Quistis, Alphanerd and Ashe bursts.

Yeah. Unfortunately there's just straight upgrades to both on other characters.

• Locked thread