Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The Dark One posted:

Don Meredith no longer thinks the Senate inquiry into loving his teenage parishioner is motivated by racism. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/senator-meredith-race-card-ethics-1.4038120

I guess he found a better lawyer?

He should take the Christophobia angle now that the government is condemning all forms of religious discrimination. Pastor Meredith was singled out for being a Christian, not because he's black!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

I wonder if any of these people would be this upset if they tried to bring back Christian prayer during morning announcements. I mean, I don't want to see any mandatory religious activities brought back in to public education and I don't think public funds should go towards supporting any religious activity but wtf it's an empty room during lunch recess why would anyone get this angry about it.

There's a section on that in their fact sheet, http://www.peelschools.org/aboutus/equity/Documents/Religious%20Accommodation%20-%20Key%20Facts.pdf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

I wonder if any of these people would be this upset if they tried to bring back Christian prayer during morning announcements. I mean, I don't want to see any mandatory religious activities brought back in to public education and I don't think public funds should go towards supporting any religious activity but wtf it's an empty room during lunch recess why would anyone get this angry about it.

Use of school property is use of public funds, no?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya see unlike this totally reasonable policy when they still had morning prayer in public school when I was a kid your options if you didn't want to participate were to either stand there and mumble something so it looked like you were playing along or leave the room and stand in the hall with the JW kid in class that was totally playing it up when she'd literally run for the door before the half assed praying started as if a grenade had been dropped in the room.

This is more 'a bunch of students want this so they're going to go do it over there and if you want something similar we'll set it up so you and your peers can do it over there, or you can just not and carry on with life and go play with rocks or something with all the other kids'.

But of course some idiots have to go to city hall and start screaming like this is being forced on their kids.

Do kids still play with rocks at recess?

Subjunctive posted:

It is but when kids are on school grounds they need to be supervised by someone anyway and unless the school is super small or super cash strapped they should have enough people on hand to supervise this sort of thing and it's available of all religions and creeds that need and request this sort of accommodation. If kindergarten nap time were followed by everyone facing east and praying to Allah then ya I'd have a problem with it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
There is no having fun at recess. That was cut to make room for prayers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Subjunctive posted:

"Taxpayers are funding Yu Gi Oh tournaments"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I heard they turned Civics class into Sharia class and banned recess because it isn't mentioned in the Koran. Where's my paycheck, Ezra?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I tried to figure it out to see what got these people so worked up. I think the main rub is that the older students are allowed to make their own sermons and preach to the younger students during the Friday religious time which seems a little more like going to church than school.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

I also like how they ended it with a strong statement:

quote:

It has been frustrating and disheartening to see what is often hatred and prejudice towards a single faith group
disguised in a supposed campaign about religion in schools. No one has expressed concern about
school-wide celebration of Diwali, or that we provide vegetarian options in food, or post posters acknowledging
all major faith days, including Christmas. This is a campaign against Islam — counter to the laws of the Country,
the Ontario Human Rights Code, and our board values.

Although...

quote:

or that we provide vegetarian options in food

:raise:

Are implying this was done for religious dietary restriction reasons?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

cougar cub posted:

I want to spend more time volunteering but I don't know where. What are some interesting groups I should check out?

(I hate kids)

I've been enjoying my time volunteering at the food bank. From the sounds of it there's been a surge of demand for food bank services in Alberta too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

It is but when kids are on school grounds they need to be supervised by someone anyway and unless the school is super small or super cash strapped they should have enough people on hand to supervise this sort of thing

I had lots of unsupervised activities in high school, maybe Ottawa was just more permissive. Carving off another small group for an activity and supervising them is a real expenditure of scarce teacher time. Canadian schools *are* cash strapped.

I'm not against religious exploration as a basis for a school activity at all, but we shouldn't pretend it's free.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

Try offering chicken to a hardcore Adventist.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
What is O, Canada but a prayer to nationalism?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Try offering chicken to a hardcore Adventist.

Jains are probably more common in the GTA.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I figured as much just weird they didn't phrase it better. They did good anyway though.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Dreylad posted:

I've been enjoying my time volunteering at the food bank. From the sounds of it there's been a surge of demand for food bank services in Alberta too.

Between IM's comment and this suggestion the food bank will be something I'll check out. Thanks!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

I also like how they ended it with a strong statement:

Although...

:raise:

Veganism/Vegetarianism is a protected choice just like any religion/creed these days. At least that's what the Ontario Human Rights Commission says.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And kids are just wearing yarmulkes because their cowlicks won't behave.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ton of layoffs at the Province/Vancouver Sun, rip

Postmedia CEO is making $2m+ though!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the news media is the bedrock of...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Postmedia is being run like a OPC government, not sure what is surprising about layoffs. Also these layoffs were announced a month ago this is simply the follow through.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

they'll probably keep em open just long enough to poo poo out a final BC Liberal endorsement and a headline that the RCMP has cleared Christy Clark and the BCLs of all wrongdoing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Evidently I write for VICE now.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Good gently caress the sun and province

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

At least the Massey Tunnel replacement bridge isn't getting federal money

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Islamaphobia brings Sharia :lol:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

this makes up for a lot, thanks justin

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

RIP bacon, boobs, beer and puppies.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2017

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think the Winnipeg Sun has 2 writers and an editor left and that's about it, the rest of the content is bought from the CP or 4 pages of Sunshine Girls.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

islamophobia is still a real thing

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/CharlieAngusNDP/status/845352271223361537

Charlie rules

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Conrad Black isn't that rich anymore, afterall he's doing a posh version of a chip reverse home mortgage.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

flakeloaf posted:

"Taxpayers are funding Yu Gi Oh tournaments"

This is how we should select Senators imo.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

CLAM DOWN posted:

Good. Now how about we fix the Pattullo instead?

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yinlock posted:

islamophobia is still a real thing

Actually Islamophobia is fake news.

Just like this whole thing: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-shooting-victims-funeral-montreal-1.3962914

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/wall-faces-boos-cfl-1.4039919?cmp=rss

Crowd boos Brad Wall at CFL Week event

Wall still most popular premier in Canada, but approval rating dips: poll

quote:

Mr. Wall didn’t abandon his ideology entirely though. He did enough slashing to maintain some of his conservative cred: throwing nearly 600 people out of work, while cutting funding on a range of groups and institutions, from libraries to colleges and universities. He even killed an entire bus company, one that services more than 250 small towns throughout the province.

If you imagine most football fans are conservative, he is going to drop huge in the next round of polls.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Nonsense, the Big One will never happen *makes fart noises*

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

EvilJoven posted:

this is in regards to allowing a designated muslim prayer room in schools...? in which city?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

OSI bean dip posted:

Uh yeah about that... despite what the Delta Optimist article says, the money being directed towards Metro Vancouver transportation from the federal budget comes from the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund and it explicitly cannot be used for replacing the Pattullo Bridge. The funding can be directed toward phase two public transit projects such as the Broadway Line and Surrey LRT. This does complicate the Mayor's transportation plans, as replacing the Pattullo bridge was also part of phase two of the plan.

I'm a big public transit fan and I hate the Massey Bridge proposal, so I'm happy with the transit oriented nature of the Federal funding, but this is a bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The Pattullo Bridge is straight up scary to cross and badly needs to be replaced. The Mayors aren't planning on increasing capacity when they replace it so replacing it does not contribute to induced demand and urban sprawl in the same way the Massey Bridge proposal does.

This is mentioned in the Mayor's press release about fed funding. http://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us/Media/2017/March/Mayors-Council-welcomes-historic-federal-investment.aspx