Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm contributing 1% to my pension and I'm going to die cold and alone in a ditch at the age of 70 years and one month.

e: 1129AD The Order of the Knights Templar is ordained.
2129AD The hundredth Assassin's Creed game is released. Nobody cares about the Desmond Miles bits.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

baka kaba posted:

Marina's the best

shes at her best writing about football imo

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

sebzilla posted:

I'm contributing 1% to my pension and I'm going to die cold and alone in a ditch at the age of 70 years and one month.

e: 1129AD The Order of the Knights Templar is ordained.
2129AD The hundredth Assassin's Creed game is released. Nobody cares about the Desmond Miles bits.

I will always care about the Desmond Miles bits. :(

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
He saved the world from a threat they didn't actually show and barely explained. Something about a solar flare killing life on Earth? And he fixed it? By dying? They didn't actually show anything happening or changing so who loving knows. But then the games kept being made??????? And you were a pirate??????????????? And then a cheeky man/woman in London???? And Ubisoft represent themselves as the villains in their own game??????? AAA+ gaming.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

it is a good stabbing mans game anf then you can kick the pope in his ballbag. I only played the first three though

also I haven't looked but I hope Piers Morgan is getting a lot of abuse on twitter today while he can't retaliate

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Regarde Aduck posted:

He saved the world from a threat they didn't actually show and barely explained. Something about a solar flare killing life on Earth? And he fixed it? By dying? They didn't actually show anything happening or changing so who loving knows. But then the games kept being made??????? And you were a pirate??????????????? And then a cheeky man/woman in London???? And Ubisoft represent themselves as the villains in their own game??????? AAA+ gaming.

If I can see cool hieroglyphs in eagle vision I don't care :colbert:

Also, Persona 5 in a few weeks, can't wait!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pesmerga posted:

Also, Persona 5 in a few weeks, can't wait!

Isn't that the game where you romance anime children?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Half-Life 3 or nothing!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

fridge corn posted:

It's the game where you fuse new demons by guillotining them, have a talking cat, and has an awesome jazz soundtrack :3:

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

McDragon posted:

also I haven't looked but I hope Piers Morgan is getting a lot of abuse on twitter today while he can't retaliate

What did he get banned for?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol trump getting elected was probably bad for le pen because he's been such a public trainwreck so far

https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/8...%3D2835%23pti19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A follow on from the London attack, as the Crown Inn in Keith receives a threat purporting to be from ISIS. I can just picture that meeting:

"Brothers, our mission at Westminster was a success! But how can we strike fear into the infidels in Scotland? They hate the English government more than we do, and they have no fear of death."

"We could stop them drinking alcohol..."

"Excellent work, Rachid!"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

It's the game where you fuse new demons by guillotining them, have a talking cat, and has an awesome jazz soundtrack :3:

And then gently caress your teacher.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Darth Walrus posted:

And then gently caress your teacher.

Well after Resident Evil VII I guess a change of pace is in order.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Some good news for Labour for once. Not that this actually gives them any power over the regulation of the finance industry in the City though.

https://www.ft.com/content/c886bf4a-1067-11e7-b030-768954394623

quote:

Labour scores record win in City of London election

Labour has scored a record result in elections in the City of London, in spite of the opposition party’s poor standing at the national level.

The party’s candidates won five seats on Thursday, expanding Labour’s influence in a jurisdiction that includes the Bank of England, St Paul’s Cathedral and many big financial firms.

Labour began fielding candidates in the City after the financial crisis in 2009 and gained a toehold by winning one council seat in a by-election in 2014.

This time it fielded eight candidates campaigning on issues such as increasing the stock of affordable housing and improving air quality. There are 100 council seats in total, representing 25 wards, six of which were uncontested.

Richard Crossan, one of Labour’s winning candidates, said after the votes were tallied: “For the small but spirited Labour party here in the Square Mile, this is a very special day indeed.”

In joining the City of London Corporation, Mr Crossan and the other elected councillors become part of the oldest local authority in Britain, which dates back to the medieval period and retains an archaic structure and electoral system.

Historically, candidates have run as independents, though there is no rule barring those with a party affiliation. Labour was the only political party to field candidates on Thursday.

The Liberal Democrats said: “That’s always been the convention, and we’ve abided by the convention.”

Peter Kenyon, who ran Labour’s campaign, said there were no plans to form an opposition group in the council in the conventional sense. The successful candidates were not affiliated with the hard left that characterised the party under Jeremy Corbyn, he said.

“This is entirely a local initiative by Labour party members living in the City of London,” he said.

However, many question the entry of party politics, particularly with the City’s future at a critical juncture ahead of Brexit. “There is a desire to avoid being seen as partisan,” said one former councillor.

The corporation said: “Candidates may represent a political party if they wish, however the vast majority [are] independent.”

About 450,000 people work in the City on weekdays but fewer than 10,000 people live there. City workers are allowed to take part in the ballot, which is held once every four years.

Private businesses are given a number of votes based on a scale ranging from one to 79, depending on how many people they employ.

In 21 of the 25 wards, business votes outnumber those of residents, and in one ward there is not a single residential voter. The system has attracted complaints that votes from businesses outweigh those from residents.

Dan Firth, director of the We Can Win campaign that encourages locals to vote said: “People are cynical about politics at the moment and we need to reinvigorate democracy from the grassroots.”

Early figures indicate those efforts have paid off. Average turnout across the wards on Thursday was 39 per cent compared with 24 per cent at the 2013 election.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Cerv posted:

Some good news for Labour for once. Not that this actually gives them any power over the regulation of the finance industry in the City though.

https://www.ft.com/content/c886bf4a-1067-11e7-b030-768954394623

There's so much rank stupidity in the arrangements of the City council, and in the statements made in this article, that I don't even know where to begin.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pantsuit posted:

What did he get banned for?

He's doing some thing for red nose day where he's not tweeting or something along those lines, he didn't get banned or anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He should do that every day.

Oberleutnant posted:

I don't even know where to begin.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Marina's the best

More

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/24/nigel-farage-british-values-london-fox-news

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oberleutnant posted:

There's so much rank stupidity in the arrangements of the City council, and in the statements made in this article, that I don't even know where to begin.

The City is incredibly hosed up and I'm not even sure it's a good thing Labour are doing well there. It's hard to imagine things like affordable housing being a vote winner in a place like that

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

If by romance you mean you say "I like u <3" to each other and then you get another arcana link that means you can start leveling up new personas then yeah. Ban this sick filth.

I'm sorry but when did this thread become the UK media circa 2001?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm sorry but when did this thread become the UK media circa 2001?
WATCH BLAIR START A loving WAR

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Whatever happened to Gordon the Gopher?

Big name in the jazz-funk scene.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

The City is incredibly hosed up and I'm not even sure it's a good thing Labour are doing well there. It's hard to imagine things like affordable housing being a vote winner in a place like that

Funny thing is the Corporation does actually own a couple of (shockingly non-privatised) council estates apart from Barbican, and until very recently probably had an economic mix fairly close to the norm for inner London as far as residential populations go, although rather heavier on students than most.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's really weird, especially with all the stuff about the lack of public space around there

Kinda sounds like a nature reserve or something. A little ecosystem of the little people you can watch from your tower

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

That's really weird, especially with all the stuff about the lack of public space around there

Kinda sounds like a nature reserve or something. A little ecosystem of the little people you can watch from your tower

Yeah, Crossrail - by taking up most of Finsbury Circus - robbed the City of over 85% of it's parkland. For reference, Finsbury Circus is *just* big enough for a couple of bowling greens and some trees. The only remaining public parks in the City are the Postman's Park, which you can walk across in about 30 seconds if you take your time, and St. Dunstan's which is literally a bombed-out church. And not a big church, either. This in an area that had a population of just over half a million right up to the Victorian era. It's a big part of the reason why the rest of London has quite so many parks, everybody sort of overcompensated once they started settling outside the walls.

(There is quite a bit of green space just outside the City and quite a lot of church yards and other green spaces but of course they're not officially parks, and also Trinity Square Gardens which is inside the walls but which the City gave to Tower Hamlets, presumably because they didn't want to buy a *second* lawnmower)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Postmans Park is probably one of the most emotionally touching places in London though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

But on the other hand, the city owns Hampstead Heath, Epping Forest, Highgate Wood, Queen's Park, West Ham park, and hundreds of other little green spaces that are nowhere near being within the boundary of the city.

The Finsbury Circus worksite is only temporary till next year. Would've been last year if Johnson & Osbourne hadn't cut the Crossrail budget.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 24, 2017

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

I'm In London and I pass through Stockwell frequently when I'm drunk and happy with my uni friends. It stuck me, especially considering the events on Wednesday, that Jean Charles De Menezes died there. He was a brown guy who died because the Met thought he was an Islamic terrorist. It is a sobering reminder that Muslims are not the only victim of Islamophobia.

Rest in peace.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
London is actually pretty cool and good besides house prices AFAICT. The thing you have to understand is that most large capital cities in the world are nightmarish hellscapes, because high densities of people are usually bad news. In this context, London is amazingly good. Sure, there's about half a dozen better capital cities in Europe, but that's about it really, if you want better you have to go to non-capital cities and those have their own issues.

Grain of salt and all that though, I live in a loving bubble and haven't experienced the poor side of London. Still, for all his faults, between Sadiq Khan and a Tory I'd obviously vote for Khan because urgh lesser of two evils.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

baka kaba posted:

It actually is, at least among the voters the Labour group was targeting: they're specifically seeking to represent the people who actually live in the City region, which includes a number of council blocks. One of the guys in the Labour council group wrote a couple of posts explaining the group's history:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5twdj7/the_somethingsgate_diaries_dispatches_from_a/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5u40l3/the_somethingsgate_diaries_2_a_change_is_gonna/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5uyev6/the_somethingsgate_diaries_3_the_lay_of_the_land/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/5wnz9n/somethingsgate_newsflash_i_won/

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 25, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

One thing I've noticed is that after this terrorist attack the 'keep calm and carry on, we are British, stiff upper lip old chaps' narrative has been particularly strong. Stronger in my opinion than the 'gently caress ISIS, close the borders, bomb them back to the stone age' jingoism that is the other typical response.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. On the one hand a peaceful response is clearly better than a war-like one, but on the other it doesn't leave us any closer to a debate about the causes of terrorism and why people might end up hating this country (and it's government) enough they're willing to kill/die over it. Almost like some of the Jo Cox murder 'a thing happened, please do not think too deeply about why' has seeped in. Like we've moved on from whipping up fear and now it's time to engender a sense of complacency to make terrorist attacks the new normal.

Anyone else think there's been a bit of a shift in tone, or is it just me?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wasn't that the case after the 7/7 bombings?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Taking the train past Spitalfields Market every day, the Corporation should really invest in a few litter pickers. That place is a dump.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

radmonger posted:

If it wasn't for Brexit, the City would be caning it right now, being based an island with most of those things, and no Trump or Putin.

The real tragedy of trump (one of the real tragedies) is that we in the states would have been even more the rock of the world if it had gone the other way. At least the fact that poo poo's hosed up everywhere mitigates it for us a bit.

Not quite enough of us learned from the brexit mistake, but at least our democratic party learned from the corbyn mistake.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lol the rock of the world.

the best bit is americans actually believe that.

manifest destiny never went away, kill brown people is still en vogue

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

One thing I've noticed is that after this terrorist attack the 'keep calm and carry on, we are British, stiff upper lip old chaps' narrative has been particularly strong. Stronger in my opinion than the 'gently caress ISIS, close the borders, bomb them back to the stone age' jingoism that is the other typical response.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. On the one hand a peaceful response is clearly better than a war-like one, but on the other it doesn't leave us any closer to a debate about the causes of terrorism and why people might end up hating this country (and it's government) enough they're willing to kill/die over it. Almost like some of the Jo Cox murder 'a thing happened, please do not think too deeply about why' has seeped in. Like we've moved on from whipping up fear and now it's time to engender a sense of complacency to make terrorist attacks the new normal.

Anyone else think there's been a bit of a shift in tone, or is it just me?

Part of the problem is the nature of the attack. It's basically impossible to physically prevent the entire population of Great Britain from driving into crowds and stabbing people. There's no meaningful crackdown that can stop this sort of thing - the issue is entirely cultural, a social problem that compels people to spread terror and death, and we're not even all that sure what, exactly, that problem is - Thomas Mair was a powerful counterargument against the 'it's them inferior Musselmen' angle, thanks to committing a crime too major to be totally downplayed and forgotten, and too obviously political to be totally decontextualised. The public's been getting increasingly tired of invasive and questionably-useful antiterrorism measures, and this seems like it might have pushed a bunch of folks over the edge.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Every one was expecting it for so long. That is the power of terrorism. It's the the threat of it that works more than the actual acts. This low level psychological background noise.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Pret A Manger have a plan to solve their looming problem of Brexit disrupting their recruitment by 'hiring' children to work 30 hours a week making their lovely sandwiches.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/845532471395434496

But instead of paying them any money they're going to get a free sandwich instead.

Friends, I invite you to join me in boycotting this company until they commit to paying a wage to all their staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pissflaps posted:

Pret A Manger have a plan to solve their looming problem of Brexit disrupting their recruitment by 'hiring' children to work 30 hours a week making their lovely sandwiches.

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/845532471395434496

But instead of paying them any money they're going to get a free sandwich instead.

Friends, I invite you to join me in boycotting this company until they commit to paying a wage to all their staff.

"Leftist brexit" is still hilariously dumb.

Corbyn three line whipped for this.

• Locked thread