Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yeah especially cause kimmy schmidt went downhill so loving hard in season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Dirk Gently is what you get when you mix Sherlock, Dr. Who, and Heroes season 1, then crank it up to eleven. A "proper" Douglas Adams adaptation is nigh impossible to pull off, so this show did spectacularly well at doing it's own thing. Can't wait for the second season.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That combination of shows sounds like it would be playing on repeat in hell, but it sounds interesting enough to check out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Amy Schumer's HBO special was pretty allright so I watched the Netflix one today and holy gently caress it is bad. I'm not sure what happened there, but that was almost Larry the Cable guy levels of stupid and I couldn't even finish it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

air- posted:

Dirk Gently is what you get when you mix Sherlock, Dr. Who, and Heroes season 1, then crank it up to eleven. A "proper" Douglas Adams adaptation is nigh impossible to pull off, so this show did spectacularly well at doing it's own thing. Can't wait for the second season.

Plus it's kind of a big thing with Adams that all versions of the same story or title end up being substantially different from one another. That's kind of a big part of his storytelling legacy.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

is on sale for 99¢ to own on Google Play for those of you who want an enduring copy for your personal library.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Detective No. 27 posted:

I need to finish 30 Rock. The recurring joke about Kenneth is super subtle.

It gets less subtle as the series goes on, but it's still pretty good, especially when they rope in Bryan Cranston as his stepfather.

Jack Gladney posted:

Plus it's kind of a big thing with Adams that all versions of the same story or title end up being substantially different from one another. That's kind of a big part of his storytelling legacy.

See also: a beach towel considered as one of the canonical editions of Hitchhiker's Guide.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah especially cause kimmy schmidt went downhill so loving hard in season 2

I really liked the first season but the first five minutes of S2 was so offputting I bailed

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a question that probably gets asked a lot; is there a streaming service that lets me watch movies with people online? Like, joining a party with them and it's synchronized so it plays for everyone at the same time etc. I found a Chrome plugin called Showgoers that seems to do this but not sure how well it works. It's baffling they don't offer this stuff natively for Netflix and stuff.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

morestuff posted:

I really liked the first season but the first five minutes of S2 was so offputting I bailed

There are almost no redeeming parts, i wonder if they did more than a single pass on it. The first season even dragged at a few points late in the game, i couldn't believe it was the same people who wrote the "we can't let them find my husband's bones" bit

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Stare-Out posted:

Here's a question that probably gets asked a lot; is there a streaming service that lets me watch movies with people online? Like, joining a party with them and it's synchronized so it plays for everyone at the same time etc. I found a Chrome plugin called Showgoers that seems to do this but not sure how well it works. It's baffling they don't offer this stuff natively for Netflix and stuff.

i use rabb.it for that, it's got an integrated text chat window and video/audio chat options as well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Edminster posted:

i use rabb.it for that, it's got an integrated text chat window and video/audio chat options as well.

That seems alright, thanks! Now to find movies that play in several regions. :v:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Cinema Discusso › The "What Should I Watch on Streaming?" Megathread (TRAIN TO BUSAN)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So for people who burned out on the whole zombie thing like 5 years ago, Train to Busan really brings something new to the table? It feels fresh?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

So for people who burned out on the whole zombie thing like 5 years ago, Train to Busan really brings something new to the table? It feels fresh?

All the poor zombies live in the back of the train and have to eat candy bars made of cockroach brains

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
BRAIN
TO
BUSAN

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the expanding brain meme:

small brain - Dawn of the Dead 2004
normal brain - 28 Days Later
large brain - Pontypool
"I CAN SEE FOREVER" brain - TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cithen posted:

TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

is on sale for 99¢ to own on Google Play for those of you who want an enduring copy for your personal library.

Same price on Amazon. I bought a copy and it better be as good as the time you fuckheads recommended Drug War or :argh:

Stare-Out posted:

Kevin Pereira (OG goon and former Attack Of The Show host) is working on a service that can do this. Licensing and DRM is a big issue.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 24, 2017

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Jack Gladney posted:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

See also: a beach towel considered as one of the canonical editions of Hitchhiker's Guide.

I haven't read the Dirk Gently books and gotta say that it also felt so Douglas Adams (and well, brilliant) how the last episode sets up for the next season with a villain that is a hyperbolic example of the absurdity of bureaucracy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

veni veni veni posted:

Amy Schumer's HBO special was pretty allright so I watched the Netflix one today and holy gently caress it is bad. I'm not sure what happened there, but that was almost Larry the Cable guy levels of stupid and I couldn't even finish it.

She was visibly drunk. I'd consider myself a fan - I watched the show, liked the HBO special and Trainwreck, etc - but this was bad.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Same price on Amazon. I bought a copy and it better be as good as the time you fuckheads recommended Drug War or :argh:

Its a decent zombie movie but I cannot fathom why people are falling all over themselves to hype it up around here. Its definitely worth a dollar, though!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

In the world of a thousand trash tier zombie movies every year, a Korean action zombie movie is refreshing and beautiful and
TRAIN
TO
BUSAN

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Stare-Out posted:

That seems alright, thanks! Now to find movies that play in several regions. :v:

It has a Chrome extension that literally just broadcasts your browser tab so you can host basically anything to communally watch (including just playing a media file on your computer in the browser)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

800peepee51doodoo posted:

She was visibly drunk. I'd consider myself a fan - I watched the show, liked the HBO special and Trainwreck, etc - but this was bad.

Her delivery was so sluggish, like she was on ludes or something.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

drunken officeparty posted:

I also don't know why Judah Freidlander gets put in the opening credits but is a side character who probably has less lines than the black nerd writer and he isn't in them.

The writers room in general always felt underutilized on that show. Too many strong characters in the center I guess.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

flatluigi posted:

It has a Chrome extension that literally just broadcasts your browser tab so you can host basically anything to communally watch (including just playing a media file on your computer in the browser)

That sounds fishy and something they'll crack down on hard soon but in the meantime, I'll take it!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Stare-Out posted:

That sounds fishy and something they'll crack down on hard soon but in the meantime, I'll take it!

I fully believe the site will go the way of basically every other streaming site and either get covered with ads or get taken down, yeah, but it's there to use while you can.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

morestuff posted:

Y'all are crazy, S2 was great aside from the "Tina Fey takes down a strawman of people who complained about S1's Asian jokes" episode.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Stare-Out posted:

I know it doesn't answer your question, but Xbox 360 did this years ago.

http://kotaku.com/5866245/say-goodbye-to-netflixs-party-mode-on-the-xbox-360

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Y'all are crazy, S2 was great aside from the "Tina Fey takes down a strawman of people who complained about S1's Asian jokes" episode.

That episode was especially weird because the finale had this whole running thing about how awful it is that we still have a pro sports team called the Redskins--and it's like, you just spent an hour yelling at your audience about how it's ok when you do it

I mostly agree with you though--season 2 was mostly great and I'm onboard for more

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know it doesn't answer your question, but Xbox 360 did this years ago.

http://kotaku.com/5866245/say-goodbye-to-netflixs-party-mode-on-the-xbox-360

Why would they get rid of that. :doh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The got rid of 1 vs 100 so they routinely make bad decisions?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. I never used it much back then but I probably would now. Seems like it should be available everywhere now.

Netflix has cut other cool features before too like their little movie recommendation game, which was really bad at picking movies but I wish they had just improved it instead of ditching it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mover posted:

That episode was especially weird because the finale had this whole running thing about how awful it is that we still have a pro sports team called the Redskins--and it's like, you just spent an hour yelling at your audience about how it's ok when you do it

I mostly agree with you though--season 2 was mostly great and I'm onboard for more

The thing that fell flattest for me was how she dealt with Tracy Morgan's real life homophobic jokes. It felt like a real cop out the way they downplayed what he actually said.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Guy Mann posted:

And doing a three minute Mentos parody in 20-loving-16.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

So yeah, Train to Busan was great, thanks thread.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah so sad tho holy poo poo :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

air- posted:

I liked it well enough but the Stephen Mangan Dirk Gently from about 4 years ago is actually a lot better and much closer in tone to Adams' work.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, season 2 was great. Not as strong as season 1, but still really, really funny. And yeah, while that Asian jokes episode was awkward, the song was really beautiful. And I cried at the end of the season.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

precision posted:

I liked it well enough but the Stephen Mangan Dirk Gently from about 4 years ago is actually a lot better and much closer in tone to Adams' work.

Agreed. The episode with the causus belli program was more Dirk Gently than the entire new series combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Stato-Masochist posted:

I think Chapelle is the only comic that can laugh at his own jokes repeatedly and have the act cone off being better for it.

This is something I've always loved about him, when he stumbles around laughing at his own jokes. It just works for some reason.