Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Is Daredevil the most explicitly Christian Marvel hero?

Nightcrawler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

redbackground posted:

Nightcrawler?

Aquarius is Marvel Jesus.

Do yourself a fav and look him up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

Nightcrawler?

Oh yeah probably. But he knows the devil. (It's his dad)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

You guys one episode of Legion is better than all the good parts of Iron Fist put together. It is the show I watch and then watch again.

notthegoatseguy posted:

How is this show not tearing up the Internet? It is easily the best comic book show on TV right now.

I'm disappointed whenever I go into a comic book thread and people aren't talking about how amazing Legion is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

There was also the Friend from Tony Isabella's run on Ghost Rider in the 1970s. There's this story I've heard about how Isabella was building up to revealing that the Friend was Jesus when Shooter nixed the idea, and instead the character was revealed to be Satan(nish) instead.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Shageletic posted:

Did you mean The Aquarian? Because Aquarius is a lame Zodiac dude, and The Aquarian looked like Jesus with Superman powers.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lurdiak posted:

Boring, wake me up when a tv show does the requisite "God is probably real after all and science can't explain some things." thing but from a Muslim perspective.

As a Muslim, we believe in Jesus too. He comes back for the Day of Judgement, did miracles, and everything else. We just don't believe he was the son of God. So it's about as valid.

I guess,we kinda just gave him a reverse of Wonder Woman Zeus Retcon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

Did you mean The Aquarian? Because Aquarius is a lame Zodiac dude, and The Aquarian looked like Jesus with Superman powers.

That's who I meant. Also with five foot long sleeves, that guy was great.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Marvel has The One Above All but hopefully he doesn't appear in Infinity War and the MCU can be limited to the Celestials

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
CGI Jack Kirby would probably be pretty rough

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Marvel has The One Above All but hopefully he doesn't appear in Infinity War and the MCU can be limited to the Celestials

Put him in as a giant, CGI, Jack Kirby head

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My plan all along has been to wait for the season to be over, and then buy and binge the whole thing, so just to confirm, next week is the season finale for Legion right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

My plan all along has been to wait for the season to be over, and then buy and binge the whole thing, so just to confirm, next week is the season finale for Legion right?

Yep.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

good day for a bris posted:

As a Muslim, we believe in Jesus too. He comes back for the Day of Judgement, did miracles, and everything else. We just don't believe he was the son of God. So it's about as valid.

I guess,we kinda just gave him a reverse of Wonder Woman Zeus Retcon.

I know, I've just been marathoning a lot of garbage US tv, and all of them have an episode where there are either subtle or overt hints that Christian faith is real and characters go through an arc about that. I want to see the House episode or X-files episode where muslim faith is given that consideration.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
FX shows tend to end up on Netflix, right? Unfortunately don't have cable, so I figure that's my best chance for seeing Legion.

Edit: vv gently caress

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 25, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

catlord posted:

FX shows tend to end up on Netflix, right? Unfortunately don't have cable, so I figure that's my best chance for seeing Legion.

Hulu

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm enjoying Iron Fist WAY more than I did with Luke Cage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

pubic works project posted:

...Racist.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Even the first half of Luke Cage?

The second half of it was much less interesting.

I just finished Iron Fist and it is probably the worst Marvel Netflix show, but it was very watchable. It's also the first Netflix series where the second half is much better than the first half.

The first two episodes are the worst by far. They both have a great final 10 minutes, though.

I think the three big problems with it were:

1) It is very "even" throughout the majority of the show. It is a solid 6/10 for about 85% of its runtime and it almost never gets really amazing or really terrible.
2) Finn Jones does all of his own choreography and stunts. Much like the show, he is very average at it most of the time.
3) The other Marvel Netflix shows all lean really heavily into their genres.

Luke Cage is a 70's blacksploitation show (with superheroes)
Jessica Jones is a noir story about abuse (with superheroes)
Daredevil is a courtroom drama during the day and a horror movie from the perspective of the monster at night (with superheroes)

Iron Fist is a Kung-Fu movie... wait actually it's about corporate espionage... well its kind of about Daredevil season two... and sort of a trauma redemption story, but not really... kind of a batman thing... only more mystical? But also grounded (with superheroes).

They should have leaned harder into the Kung-Fu and mystical aspect.

They have a bunch of really good concepts and setups that just aren't executed great. The psych ward had a lot of great potential, but felt meh. The closing scene during the chinese parade at the end of the first episode had a cool look and a lot of potential, but doesn't really use it.

It has reminded me how amazing David Wenham's buttery smooth voice is. I'd watch a spin-off where he just monologues to his personal assistant for an hour each episode.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 25, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I dunno. I have different tastes than a lot of you guys on here. I just got hooked on Iron Fist while it took me a bit to get into Luke Cage. I still enjoyed it, but I haven't finished it yet. Life got in the way.

It just says something to me when it takes an effort to finish a series. Took me forever to finish Jessica Jones. I thought it was the weakest of the four in the sense that it interests me the least. Daredevil blows all of them out of the water and then I rank Luke Cage and Iron Fist the same (since I haven't finish either).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Luke Cage was a way better show, but I also hit a wall watching it a few times. IF is easier to binge for whatever reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I dunno. I have different tastes than a lot of you guys on here. I just got hooked on Iron Fist while it took me a bit to get into Luke Cage. I still enjoyed it, but I haven't finished it yet. Life got in the way.

It just says something to me when it takes an effort to finish a series. Took me forever to finish Jessica Jones. I thought it was the weakest of the four in the sense that it interests me the least. Daredevil blows all of them out of the water and then I rank Luke Cage and Iron Fist the same (since I haven't finish either).

Well, I liked Jessica Jones almost as much as Daredevil Season 2 (Season 1 is still the best Netflix show), but if you didn't like the first half of Luke Cage it's probably good that you didn't finish it. The first half is much better than the second half.

Also, you are probably going to really like Iron Fist. The second half of Iron Fist is much better than the first half.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Well, I liked Jessica Jones almost as much as Daredevil Season 2 (Season 1 is still the best Netflix show), but if you didn't like the first half of Luke Cage it's probably good that you didn't finish it. The first half is much better than the second half.

Also, you are probably going to really like Iron Fist. The second half of Iron Fist is much better than the first half.

I think I'm going to re-watch the entire season of Luke Cage once I finish Iron Fist. Sucks that I'm also playing Mass Effect: Andromeda. Hahaha

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

2) Finn Jones does all of his own choreography and stunts.

I highly doubt this and it's the first I've heard of it.

Source?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

If he didn't do his own fights then they hired one of the most mediocre stunt fighters (or choreographers) ever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Longbaugh01 posted:

I highly doubt this and it's the first I've heard of it.

Source?

I was technically wrong. He had an interview with Marvel Inside where he says that he did almost every fight scene himself, but that he had a stunt double for falls, flips, some of the acrobatic scenes that were not fight scenes.

Original point is still valid, though. Jones isn't as good as whoever the stunt double is for Daredevil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

Edit: vv gently caress

It'll probably end up on Netflix, you'll just have to wait until the second season is about to start. Archer and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are both on there and the previous season usually shows up right before the new one begins.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

If he didn't do his own fights then they hired one of the most mediocre stunt fighters (or choreographers) ever.

And my question is why is he doing his own fights? Why not put him in a costume, even a "make shift" temporary one, so a stunt double can get in? Or make modifications to Danny's appearance so it is easier to swap in a stunt double? DDS2 and Iron Fist both really seem like Marvel Entertainment has realized these things could be going on indefinitely and have tightened the purse strings because of that.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

notthegoatseguy posted:

And my question is why is he doing his own fights? Why not put him in a costume, even a "make shift" temporary one, so a stunt double can get in? Or make modifications to Danny's appearance so it is easier to swap in a stunt double? DDS2 and Iron Fist both really seem like Marvel Entertainment has realized these things could be going on indefinitely and have tightened the purse strings because of that.

I mean supposedly Perlmutter is in charge of the tv division so maybe he's cost cutting?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If they hadn't cast someone with the stupidest looking haircut ever it would be a lot easier to stunt double him.

But seriously I honestly think the answer to those questions is sheer incompetence from the showrunner.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

If they hadn't cast someone with the stupidest looking haircut ever it would be a lot easier to stunt double him.
Sometimes bad hair just makes it easier to put a wig on the stunt performer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HIJK posted:

I mean supposedly Perlmutter is in charge of the tv division so maybe he's cost cutting?

Not anymore. Jeph Loeb has more power and control than Ike at this point. Supposedly someone called his bluff and now he has control of jack and poo poo.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rhyno posted:

Not anymore. Jeph Loeb has more power and control than Ike at this point. Supposedly someone called his bluff and now he has control of jack and poo poo.

:perfect:

So we can all join hands and hate the showrunner in harmony now!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Its sort of like the WWE where they realized they could put the least amount of effort possible and people will still pay money to go to the arenas and boo their shows and talk about how bad they are as they stand to buy their merch.

That and they are probably that stupid in thinking that Danny's costume is to close to DD's from season 1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's more the UFC's thing these days.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

HIJK posted:

:perfect:

So we can all join hands and hate the showrunner in harmony now!

Well, it was Marvel Television that hired him in the first place and was happy enough with his work to hire him back for Inhumans, sooooo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone tell me about the Phantom miniseries from about 15 years ago where the Phantom does parkour?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Lurdiak posted:

Pretty sure he's being doubled when the character does climbing/leaping/parkour poo poo, and I didn't notice anything amiss with the double.

achillesforever6 posted:

That and they are probably that stupid in thinking that Danny's costume is to close to DD's from season 1.

I really do think this is part of it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Longbaugh01 posted:

I really do think this is part of it.
I hope in The Defenders they have him wear the OG Fist outfit, if for no other reason than the other heroes telling him he should probably keep his identity secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope in The Defenders they have him wear the OG Fist outfit, if for no other reason than the other heroes telling him he should probably keep his identity secret.

I foresee a scene where Danny is given the green and yellow costume, Jessica pulls out the Jewel costume. They both look at each other. "gently caress no"