Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 1, episode 8 "The Passenger"

Whoever told Siddig to act like that while Bashir was under the control of the bad dude, well, that was painfully embarrassing. Up until that point I was thinking this was a decent episode; I had pegged the new Starfleet security guy as the accomplice or dupe from the very moment he first opened his mouth, so good on them for foiling my expectations. They gave enough clues that it'd be Bashir, in retrospect. Also his repartee with Kira in the opening was interesting in light of his revelation as an augment later on.

Yes, for the sake of my fellow meganerds who just can't wait to leap in with "did you know," I am aware that was not planned from the beginning.

Auberjonois and Shimerman have quickly shed the few initial growing pains they had with Odo and Quark, and they're already easily the two strongest characters.

Imdb is a pain on mobile so I'll just ask in here, was the investigator the actress who played Worf's wife? At the end when she phasered the neural containment unit, while Sisko, Dax, and Bashir all look on and just about chuckle, I turned to my wife and said, if this were TNG the episode would've been two minutes longer and Picard would've given her a stern lecture about the value of all life and due process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

McSpanky posted:

Holodeck teledildonics would be terrifying to contemplate for exactly this reason.

At some point everyone will figure out you don't even need the person in the other holosuite.

"Computer, create a sex partner capable of defeating Data."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha yep, that was the bit I was remembering! Very cool tactic. Blew away Teenage Star Trek Fan Me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Imdb is a pain on mobile so I'll just ask in here, was the investigator the actress who played Worf's wife? At the end when she phasered the neural containment unit, while Sisko, Dax, and Bashir all look on and just about chuckle, I turned to my wife and said, if this were TNG the episode would've been two minutes longer and Picard would've given her a stern lecture about the value of all life and due process.

Nope, K'Ehleyr (yes I looked up how to spell it) was played by Suzie Plakson who played the female Q and a couple other 1-episode roles.

The investigator was Caitlyn Brown, who was also G'Kar's aide Na'Toth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Astroman posted:

Haha yep, that was the bit I was remembering! Very cool tactic. Blew away Teenage Star Trek Fan Me.

A fight where several ships are doing that would be cool in a movie.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FuturePastNow posted:

Nope, K'Ehleyr (yes I looked up how to spell it) was played by Suzie Plakson who played the female Q and a couple other 1-episode roles.

Who should not be confused with Mary Kay Adams, the second Na'Toth and also Grilka.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

McSpanky posted:

Holodeck teledildonics

Mods, please change my name to "Holodeck Teledildonics." TIA

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FuturePastNow posted:

:doh: Now that you say that, I can see it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't one also Dr Sehar? There were no shortage of Amazonian women in 90s genre TV.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

Who should not be confused with Mary Kay Adams, the second Na'Toth and also Grilka.

90s sci fi just passed the same guest actresses around in a big circle

Orv
May 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't one also Dr Sehar? There were no shortage of Amazonian women in 90s genre TV.

Selar? Also Suzie Plakson.

For some reason the words Amazonian and genre TV together made me think of Cleopatra 2525, and now I'm just going to grin like an idiot all day thinking about that mess.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 23, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Orv posted:

For some reason the words Amazonian and genre TV together made me think of Cleopatra 2525, and now I'm just going to grin like an idiot all day thinking about that mess.

Victoria Pratt, 11/10

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wife and I are starting a DS9 watch through. For some reason I always thought that there was more of the Bajoran religious stuff in 'Emissary' but there really wasn't that much.
I hadn't watched that episode since I was a kid when it aired though.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Orv posted:

Selar? Also Suzie Plakson.

If you haven't listened to the theme song for that show then go do it now. Dear god what a weird thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wife and I are starting a DS9 watch through. For some reason I always thought that there was more of the Bajoran religious stuff in 'Emissary' but there really wasn't that much.
I hadn't watched that episode since I was a kid when it aired though.

It takes a little while for the Bajoran mysticism stuff to ramp up. They were already doing Star Trek on a space station with a black single father (who wasn't the captain) as the lead on a show with a really heavy Nazi / Israel allegory. There were only so many elements Piller could play with in the early goings without Berman and Paramount saying, "Wait. Hold on. Shut the gently caress up, we're changing this."

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Nice job, Pacra!

Oh, once again, footnote time.. The transporter officer, Sara Tuchinsky, is based yet again on real-life Sara Tuchinsky who was an editor at Marvel Comics that Peter David worked with. Peter really gets around, huh? I believe David has written other real life folks into his writing, but I'll be damned if I can remember any who weren't female. Whatevs.

No, because Alec Peters already did this and made himself Garth so he could be his own Mary Sue in Prelude to Axanar.

If I were Paramount I'd make Garth a drooling knucklehead just to gently caress with his Axanar, that way people will definitely be able to differentiate between 'canon' and 'whatever Alec Peters thinks is the TOS universe.'

I've never made it through Prelude but I'm a fan of anything that fucks with them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sbaldrick posted:

I've never made it through Prelude but I'm a fan of anything that fucks with them.

Peters has already said that the two Axanar short films are going to be in the talking-head Prelude format because he can't afford to do anything else.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Mariachi Q is great, Deja Q is great. The season 3 train keeps chugging along!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Peters has already said that the two Axanar short films are going to be in the talking-head Prelude format because he can't afford to do anything else.

The CGI guys must be getting a pretty pen- hahahaha what am I saying, they're getting peanuts while Peters builds a loving pool in his backyard or something

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
This is from a while back, but:

twistedmentat posted:

Funny thing is they changed to this because the twist at the end of the movie was originally in the script going to be that they find out that Skynet is actually taking care of humans in a paradise. That was deemed to complex for the audience to understand.

Do you have a source for this? I tried Googling it, but all I found was mention of two alternate darker endings.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I am liking the premise of this Voyager episode, good shepherd. Of course there are fuckups on Voyager ,and there's no way to get rid of them.

Not sure why Janeway herself needs to personally take all the screwbies on a field trip for remedial Starfleet. This sounds like something she should delegate. She really shouldn't even be leaving the ship to be honest, she's holding the crew together and it would be a major setback if she dies on a milk run she doesn't need to be on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because Kathryn Janeway is literally incapable of making the right choice in 9/10 situations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Because it's one of the fundamental premises of Star Trek that the captain and senior staff do everything, even trivial missions that really should be delegated.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Angry Salami posted:

Because it's one of the fundamental premises of Star Trek that the captain and senior staff do everything, even trivial missions that really should be delegated.

That's one of the only things that I liked better about early TNG that gets set by the wayside as the rest of the show gets better: Riker is meant to be Picard's guy down on the ground, so Patrick Stewart the captain doesn't have to run around doing dumb poo poo with alien ooze-beasts or whatever. There's even a line about it in "Farpoint," or maybe shortly thereafter. Most everything else about early TNG sucks, but they at least got that right.

But what we get in exchange for that in later seasons is "Chain of Command" and "The Inner Light" and "Darmok" and stuff like that. So, sure, chuck the captain into stuff all you like, show.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

But what we get in exchange for that in later seasons is "Chain of Command" and "The Inner Light" and "Darmok" and stuff like that. So, sure, chuck the captain into stuff all you like, show.

To be fair, he was on the bridge in The Inner Light and Darmok, he just got probed/kidnapped.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Orv posted:

Because Kathryn Janeway is literally incapable of making the right choice in 9/10 situations.

Writer A: "We have to, because the Prime Directive."

Writer B: "Screw Prime Directive! Slash and burn the Delta Quadrant!"

Writer C: "The Holodeck is turning the dead crewmembers into ghooosts!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I am liking the premise of this Voyager episode, good shepherd. Of course there are fuckups on Voyager ,and there's no way to get rid of them.

Not sure why Janeway herself needs to personally take all the screwbies on a field trip for remedial Starfleet. This sounds like something she should delegate. She really shouldn't even be leaving the ship to be honest, she's holding the crew together and it would be a major setback if she dies on a milk run she doesn't need to be on.

Because janeway also needs remedial starfleet lessons

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Railing Kill posted:

That's one of the only things that I liked better about early TNG that gets set by the wayside as the rest of the show gets better: Riker is meant to be Picard's guy down on the ground, so Patrick Stewart the captain doesn't have to run around doing dumb poo poo with alien ooze-beasts or whatever. There's even a line about it in "Farpoint," or maybe shortly thereafter. Most everything else about early TNG sucks, but they at least got that right.

Starfleet decided that "the First Officer should lead all away teams" was a bad policy when they took a look at First Officers' life expectancy.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Pretty sure they re-thought it when they realized they were wasting the best actor on the show sitting in a chair all episode.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

CaveGrinch posted:

Pretty sure they re-thought it when they realized they were wasting the best actor on the show sitting in a chair all episode.

Marina Sirtis?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

J33uk posted:

If you haven't listened to the theme song for that show then go do it now. Dear god what a weird thing.

Ha. They just rewrote the lyrics to the old sixties tune "In The Year 2525", which was already a pretty odd song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQfxi8V5FA

Later parodied on Futurama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQba92LBfHo

I only vaguely remember the show, it was like a family-friendly version of Lexx with the campiness turned up to maximum.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Maelstache posted:

I only vaguely remember the show, it was like a family-friendly version of Lexx with the campiness turned up to maximum.

Family-friendly?

I remember a LOT of cleavage on that show, it was pretty explicitly geared towards titillation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Family-friendly?

I remember a LOT of cleavage on that show, it was pretty explicitly geared towards titillation.

That was the first thing I ever saw Gina Torres in and to this day I have a hard time taking her seriously in other roles. It's totally not her fault, Cleopatra 2525 was just that corny.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

WampaLord posted:

Family-friendly?

Heh, maybe I should've said "network TV friendly".

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

WampaLord posted:

Family-friendly?

If I remeber correctly the premise of the show was the main character had a boob job that was botched so badly she had to be put in cryogenic stasis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

lawl. Also, Peters' latest crowdfunding effort for his "studio" has already raised more than $12,000.

Edit: On the IndieGoGo page, "defendantGarth" (almost certainly a Peters sockpuppet) says that the reason the company ran out of money was because of the CBS / Paramount lawsuit, forcing the studio to be "sitting idle for 14 months." No, it's not like you could have rented it out or anything. I swear, accountability always ends at least one layer away from these jackwagons.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 25, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Trickjaw posted:

Marina Sirtis?

I sense....... Trickjaw is joking

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sorry, this week your powers only work as far as the next room over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Orv posted:

Sorry, this week your powers only work as far as the next room over.

And yet in Nemesis, Troi basically plays Ouija with Worf's hand to find the Scimitar.

Christ, what an awful movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
That has always been one of my enduring spergy hangups, that Troi's empathy has basically zero rules and just works or doesn't because hand wave. Not really a patch on the real reasons Troi is bad, but still.