Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Wife just got her Pixel XL and she put this Caseology case on it. We mostly hear about Diztronics and Spigens in here so I thought I'd mention that it seems like a pretty nice case. It has a nice look to it, fits well and I like the button feel on it.

That's a really nice case design. I hope they have an S8 Plus one at launch because it looks different from everything else I've seen around here, and in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

Do Amazon special offers gently caress up lock screen notifications? Stuff like showing your text messages, etc. Thinking of getting the G5 plus and special offers but I don't want notifications to be screwed up. Is there a picture of exactly what a special offer lockscreen looks like?

edit: Here's what someone in another forum said "I have a Moto g4. ads are not a big deal. If you have a notification, the ad is the size of a front screen notification. if you do not have a notification, it is a full screen ad like a wallpaper. once the screen is unlocked it goes away" That's not too bad! Since it has a fingerprint reader it's not like you're going to see the lockscreen for long anyways if you use fingerprint to login. I have a feeling Amazon is underestimating how beneficial special offers will be for them on this device.

One more maybe dumb Amazon special offers phone question. Are those phones on a different upgrade track/schedule/whatever compared to normal unlocked phones? Are they getting OS updates, security updates, etc. at the same time?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ShoogaSlim posted:

How?? It gives me almost zero options to share/merge/do anything with it at all.

I tried biting the bullet and just updating info on this contact card, but it won't let me add a photo from a photo album in the Photos app? Does Google really loving expect me to scroll through ~12 years of Photos that are still syncing in the background to the cloud or what the gently caress ever so I can choose some stupid vanity photo that is already part of the contact card I have for myself but won't let me merge?

e: Not only can I not easily access a photo when trying to add a photo to a contact, but I can't even go into the Photos app, find the photo I want and hit settings to add that to a contact. Where is the uniformity in design here? iOS has its share of flaws but at least things are mostly easy to find and manipulate. This is pretty frustrating/disappointing.

I'm ready to return this thing and it hasn't even been half a day of use.

Open up G+ and allow it to update all your contact info. It should then populate your contact with your google profile picture and such.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

ShoogaSlim posted:

How?? It gives me almost zero options to share/merge/do anything with it at all.

I tried biting the bullet and just updating info on this contact card, but it won't let me add a photo from a photo album in the Photos app? Does Google really loving expect me to scroll through ~12 years of Photos that are still syncing in the background to the cloud or what the gently caress ever so I can choose some stupid vanity photo that is already part of the contact card I have for myself but won't let me merge?

e: Not only can I not easily access a photo when trying to add a photo to a contact, but I can't even go into the Photos app, find the photo I want and hit settings to add that to a contact. Where is the uniformity in design here? iOS has its share of flaws but at least things are mostly easy to find and manipulate. This is pretty frustrating/disappointing.

I'm ready to return this thing and it hasn't even been half a day of use.

Have you tried linking it to another contact via the other contact (i.e. go to the non-offending contact and choose to merge from there)? Like, go to another contact, hit the thee dot menu button top right, view connected contacts, and add it there. Or at least I think that's how it's done, it's been a while.

Also, does the Suggestions menu option (in the left side pullout menu) have any helpful suggestions? That was added after I had merged my contacts, so I can't vouch for how helpful it is.

I get your frustration, but I don't think it's a Pixel thing. It's not an issue I remember having going to my Pixel, anyway. I do think I had some stupid holdover duplicates from living with Samsung so long and their ridiculous secondary/proprietary contacts app.

Edit: about G+ suggestion above me, it might work but I can't believe it's necessary. I've never had it installed on this phone as far as I know. I can't even remember the last time I opened Google+.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 25, 2017

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

bull3964 posted:

Open up G+ and allow it to update all your contact info. It should then populate your contact with your google profile picture and such.

My contacts are stored and updated in Gmail/Google Contacts/whatever they call it. I don't actively use G+ for anything and my profile photo there is like 5 years old. I am absolutely loving baffled that contact management is WORSE on the platform where I actually already store all my information. Some serious buyer's remorse going on.

I do appreciate the nudges in the (assumed) right direction, though. Thank you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ShoogaSlim posted:

My contacts are stored and updated in Gmail/Google Contacts/whatever they call it. I don't actively use G+ for anything and my profile photo there is like 5 years old. I am absolutely loving baffled that contact management is WORSE on the platform where I actually already store all my information. Some serious buyer's remorse going on.

I do appreciate the nudges in the (assumed) right direction, though. Thank you.

It seems like there's something weird with your Google account. Not that that is helpful to solve your issue, but I'm just warning you in case you say gently caress it and go get a different Android phone and experience the same issues.

Honestly, what I'd do if I were you is not worry about it for a week and let all the background syncing get done.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ShoogaSlim posted:

What exactly do you mean here? You can easily set a contact photo either from the Contact app (hit edit then tap the picture), or from Photos (three dots then 'Use as')

Or is this something specific to that Me card?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Honestly, what I'd do if I were you is not worry about it for a week and let all the background syncing get done.

I'm super quick to judge and make rash decisions based on those judgments. This is good advice not only for this phone thing but for life as well. Thank you internet stranger, for preventing me from launching this phone out of the nearest window.

dissss posted:

What exactly do you mean here? You can easily set a contact photo either from the Contact app (hit edit then tap the picture), or from Photos (three dots then 'Use as')

Or is this something specific to that Me card?

I'll break it down best I can:

1. open Contacts
2. open the stupid loving ME contact thing (or even just the "real" contact card I have for myself)
3. tap the Pencil icon thing (edit)
4. tap the camera icon
5. tap 'Choose photo' (Photos opens)
6. Select a Photo screen appears. Options are as follows:
- Photos (18,143 items)***
- Device Folders
- Camera (2 items)
- Inkboard (1 item)
- Screenshots (7 items)

*** The photo I want to use is within this loving monstrous collection of 18k photos. The thing is, it's inside a specific folder that I created in the Photos app. Trying to get to photos from within Contacts does not present me with option to find anything within these folders. It's a photo of me from May 2016 and it's taking forever to load all of the previews of these images. Also -- why can't I access this "Device Folders" folder from within the actual Photos app but I can see it very easily when accessing it through the Contacts flow I posted above. It makes me feel like an insane crazy person that this is so unintuitive.

Your suggestion of going to the Photos app and choosing to "Use as" does work, but it doesn't show the ME contact that is plaguing my very existence. What the gently caress am I doing wrong here?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That me contact is dumb. Ignore it. I don't have one on my pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't have a "me" contact either on my Pixel, what are you on about

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

KILL IT WITH FIRE

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

redreader posted:

I figure, since the alternative was the 128gb pixel XL that we were looking at: if we buy a new similar-tier phone every single year for three years rather than keeping the pixel for 3 years (which is how long we'd have held on to it if we'd bought it, in order to get our money's worth) we'd MORE than break even (240 x 3 = 720, vs pixel for 869). Also, if we want to buy a new phone that's pixel tier in 1 or 2 or whatever years, we'll have got our money's worth from this phone after 1 year anyway.

Just posted a... bit of a rant... in the phone recommendation thread with a similar argument. It goes double when you consider that the $250 phone you buy in a year (and definitely the one the year after) will likely far out-spec the Pixel/{insert 2017 flagship here}. So it's also the better option in terms of average phone power over time. It can make sense to buy a flagship if there's a premium feature you absolutely need right now, but you're otherwise better off saving the money. I just replaced a Galaxy S5 I spent >$700 on three years ago (a phone that I never really loved to be honest) with a $250 phone that is comparable in specs to the Pixel XL, and it's super freeing. I'm not as paranoid about dropping it, nor would I feel bothered by replacing it with another phone that struck my fancy in the future.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's.... not the contract app that comes on the Pixel.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

bull3964 posted:

That's.... not the contact app that comes on the Pixel.
Might be the AOSP one, but that's not the one that came on my phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Arcanen posted:

I just replaced a Galaxy S5 I spent >$700 on three years ago (a phone that I never really loved to be honest) with a $250 phone that is comparable in specs to the Pixel XL, and it's super freeing. I'm not as paranoid about dropping it, nor would I feel bothered by replacing it with another phone that struck my fancy in the future.

Curious as to what phone this is. Even looking for solely at specs and ignoring user experience I can't think of only that fit the bill.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

dissss posted:

Curious as to what phone this is. Even looking for solely at specs and ignoring user experience I can't think of only that fit the bill.

LeEco Le Max 2. I got the 128GB internal storage, 6GB RAM version for $248. The 64GB/4GB can be had for around $190.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

bull3964 posted:

That's.... not the contract app that comes on the Pixel.

ilkhan posted:

Might be the AOSP one, but that's not the one that came on my phone.

I just opened the box last night and have not downloaded any other contacts app (why would I/anyone?).

Here's me trying to delete the app, which it doesn't let me because it's the stock app:

Am I on an old version of the software or something? All of my friends who've never even seen an Android phone IRL are giving me poo poo for switching without knowing anything about the platform, I'm inclined to agree with them based on my actual hands-on experience of less than 24 hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Your primary problem with Android so far is some weird obsession with a "me" contact that others don't seem to even have so I'm not sure how this is causing buyer's remorse.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That screen doesn't even look right. There should be app info on the right top, not just "cancel."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah that's definitely not the Contacts app on my Pixel XL

E: version 1.6.20 on mine

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

lol..

I have an un-erasable contact inside of the only Contacts app on my device that other people with the same phone as me don't have and I can't find a reasonable solution across multiple channels of help. I would say that is enough to be upset about buying a device that cost almost a grand and took a month to receive.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Go to the application info for that contact app (settings, applications). Screenshot it. Post it here.

Or you could just loving ignore the contact.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

His avatar text is telling.

With regards to the budget phone talk, the budget phones never offer a decent low light capable camera. The flagship Galaxy phones and now the Pixel absolutely destroy the competition in that category. I wish Moto phones fixed that flaw because they were almost perfect phones

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Again - I do appreciate the help and I know I'm being a frustrated man-baby about this. I've just been looking forward to getting this phone for a while and anticipated less friction than this when switching over.

Is the ME contact thing *that* big of a deal? Not really. But, if nobody else is experiencing it then there should be a solution, and I'm determined to figure it out.

Looks like I'm using an old version of this app. Looked in Play and can't find an update to it. Checked my Android version (7.1.1) and the phone tells me that's the most recent update.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

DangerZoneDelux posted:

With regards to the budget phone talk, the budget phones never offer a decent low light capable camera.

Yep, also the case with the Le Max 2. It doesn't bother me too much because I very rarely take photos. Fortunately it's still an upgrade over the Galaxy S5, which had horrendous autofocus in low-light.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Looks like I'm using an old version of this app. Looked in Play and can't find an update to it. Checked my Android version (7.1.1) and the phone tells me that's the most recent update.

Is the phone fully updated? The google play services poo poo can take a bit of time to update. It will make the phone act wonky if you stop it. If you just received the phone I could see you getting excited to use it immediately and some background poo poo didn't get to run through the paces. Plug it in and check to see if it updates correctly. Or factory reset and start over

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Contacts app is a store app so should update through there.

What happens when you go here? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.contacts

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Christ on a stick. Searching "Contacts" brings up a bunch of bullshit but when I search "Android Contacts," the official Contacts app was like fourth in line. It needed to be updated, and that god drat ME thing is gone. Thank you, gents.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

Again - I do appreciate the help and I know I'm being a frustrated man-baby about this. I've just been looking forward to getting this phone for a while and anticipated less friction than this when switching over.

Is the ME contact thing *that* big of a deal? Not really. But, if nobody else is experiencing it then there should be a solution, and I'm determined to figure it out.

can you, ah, take a screenshot of the bottom part of your "About Phone" menu that shows things like the kernel version, baseband, security patch level, etc? Just go to settings -> about phone, scroll all the way to the bottom and take a screenshot then post that screen.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

Christ on a stick. Searching "Contacts" brings up a bunch of bullshit but when I search "Android Contacts," the official Contacts app was like fourth in line. It needed to be updated, and that god drat ME thing is gone. Thank you, gents.

While you're in the store open the left hand menu and choose 'My apps & games'. This will show you what is on the phone, with apps that need an update at the top of the list.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

dissss posted:

While you're in the store open the left hand menu and choose 'My apps & games'. This will show you what is on the phone, with apps that need an update at the top of the list.

19 apps installed that need to be updated. Is there a way I can get notifications on when apps need updates? I always had automatic updates turned off on iOS because I like to read release notes and know what's getting updated, but whatever the preferred method on Android is will be fine by me as I get accustomed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That's all in Play store settings.

Don't expect useful release notes though, it's 90% just 'bug fixes and performance improvements'

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Android seems to update your apps shortly after you plug your phone into a power source. If you turn off auto updates, I presume it'll just show you the notification of how many apps need updates at that time.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

There are three versions of "do not disturb" on Android: Total silence, Alarms only, Priority only. How come none of these are preventing the screen from waking up to show me a notification? Phone is flat on the desk with the screen facing up (I know, I know, just turn it over) and it's still lighting up when something comes through. Tried all three settings set for an hour (which isn't up yet) and it's still going full brightness whenever I get something on Snapchat or a text or something.

Nvm I think I figured it out. Block visual disturbances. I'm really not used to this level of customization, but I'm excited to dig deep.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

19 apps installed that need to be updated. Is there a way I can get notifications on when apps need updates? I always had automatic updates turned off on iOS because I like to read release notes and know what's getting updated, but whatever the preferred method on Android is will be fine by me as I get accustomed.
I'm set to auto update without notifications. You still need to check once in a while to update apps which changed their permissions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

That me contact is dumb. Ignore it. I don't have one on my pixel.

Mine is in the Settings, first option. I remember it being there at the top of previous Contacts lists on the Nexus line. It's quite possible that there's an update to the Contacts app that ShoogaSlim has not applied that will hide it in the Settings menu like ours.

My Me card has all of my info but when I edit it, it's not there. It's all filled in from my Google profile on G+.

Edit: drat, I missed a page! At least I was right.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 25, 2017

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hello, everyone,

I was wondering which phone I should get. What do you think? Which phone is the best?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello, everyone,

I was wondering which phone I should get. What do you think? Which phone is the best?

The Pixel/Pixel XL is the best and the Moto G5+ with 4GB of RAM is the best cheap phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello, everyone,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Missing a lot of American bands, unfortunately.