Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

problem is a lot of their tax positions were predicated on Obamacare being nuked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Squizzle posted:

well

in a month or two itll be a nonstarter because they planned to use a tool called budget reconciliation to create an acceptable final version of the bill after ramming thru a "close enough" approximation w promises of sorting things out in reconciliation. since its intended as a budget management tool and not a general legislative thing theres a deadline for it, since they arent supposed to be dicking w the budget all the time. that deadline is fast approaching

they could try to do something w/o reconciliation, or try again next year, but thats unlikely. the potus has said outright that he is ready to move on, hes done w trying to do healthcare. the legislature is still as hostile to building a working bill as ever, and that wont change in the immediate term. the bill is as unpopular as ever, w literally every stakeholder group—medical, insurance, and citizen

the political will isnt there and creating the will would be costly, and would probably lead to another crushing defeat. this is especially true now since paul ryan has lost all appearance of authority and couldnt negotiate a congressional sand castle contest during a beach visit

the republicans and trump have a number of things they want to do, and staying on this losing issue would just grind their agenda nearly to a halt

Look at this nihilistic surface level posting

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Al-Saqr posted:

Why is this considered a big victory? What's preventing the GOP from trying again a month or two down the road?

Trump is supposed to be the pack leader / father figure, and his authority was directly challenged by Paul Ryan and the freedom caucus. It might not seem like a big deal to a functional adult, but all of Trump's power is built on this pack mentality. He looks weak and vulnerable and he isn't going to easily reestablish control over the party. Having this done so publicly is icing on the cake because the broke-brain voters who supported him are also operating on level.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Squizzle posted:

the republicans and trump have a number of things they want to do, and staying on this losing issue would just grind their agenda nearly to a halt

at the same time though they don't really seem to grasp how important it was

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/claydumas/status/845456058151849984

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Mr. Jive posted:

I'm the voice actor on the shortlist for when Trump is cleared of all charges

i auditioned for the nuclear first-strike on iran congratulations ad, but never got a call back

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

i think this should count as a big deal tbh. loving insanity

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"north african"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

If anything the victory is for people that have been screaming at their poo poo house reps for weeks, that has to feel incredible for these people since this poo poo seemed inevitable. Doesn't matter that they hosed up essentially every single part of this, the people made a difference

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Salt Fish posted:

Trump is supposed to be the pack leader / father figure, and his authority was directly challenged by Paul Ryan and the freedom caucus. It might not seem like a big deal to a functional adult, but all of Trump's power is built on this pack mentality. He looks weak and vulnerable and he isn't going to easily reestablish control over the party. Having this done so publicly is icing on the cake because the broke-brain voters who supported him are also operating on level.

Nothingmatters news flash: Trump was obstructed by Democrats and traitorous RINOs, pledge now to drain the swamp!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

slouch posted:

i think this should count as a big deal tbh. loving insanity

there really isn't a good analogue in the modern era for the level of failure this is.

Clintoncare didn't finally putter out until 94 and he got several bills before then.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Inspector Hound posted:

Look at this nihilistic surface level posting

:prepop:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mr. Jive posted:

Nothingmatters news flash: Trump was obstructed by Democrats and traitorous RINOs, pledge now to drain the swamp!

the narrative is very much "republicans failed" right now though

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

it won't stop their base from blaming the democrats for the republicans being completely unable to pass anything though, because they're morons

Anecdote: My uncle, who is the Republican base through and through (White male in 60s, owns a woodworking company in Kentucky,) thinks the Republicans are loving morons for not being able to repeal Obamacare.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ryancare

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

god drat the democrats better be mobilizing money for nationwide ads with Trumps quotes about letting obamacare explode and how that's not his fault

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
lmao at Brian Williams interview with Robert Costa on msnbc. Trump is incredibly unprepared for the presidency. Freedom caucus is definitely suicidal for the Republican party.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

they say when Old Man Ryan came back to Janesville, he walked into a Flying J and never left. 30 years he's been there now. There's a man who lost it all in a single day.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Fact: Obamacare has been in effect as a law longer than Mass Effect has topped best sellers lists the world over

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

reminder that nite krew is the cancer that will kill the forums

i hope you're all loving ashamed of yourselves

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also props to house dems for prodding the gop into rewriting the bill a thousand times until it was insane gibberish

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

there is so much loving material to work with god drat 2018 campaign starts right the gently caress now

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

good news!

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Schnorkles posted:

night krew got me laid once

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr. Jive posted:

No, I think this is the 1 exact thing that matters. The reason that Trump won the primaries was that he understood this better than anyone else on stage and knew that he could say *anything* as long as he did it in a dominating way.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Solarin posted:

If anything the victory is for people that have been screaming at their poo poo house reps for weeks, that has to feel incredible for these people since this poo poo seemed inevitable. Doesn't matter that they hosed up essentially every single part of this, the people made a difference

Earth-616 newsflash: President Clinton uses quantum tunneling to endorse this post, VP Sanders deploys to Alpha Centauri on outreach mission to enlist conscientious objectors against racist Earth Prime health insurance plan.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
This was a crazy week.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oh yeah grats on your continued survival btw

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

texaholic posted:

lmao at Brian Williams interview with Robert Costa on msnbc. Trump is incredibly unprepared for the presidency. Freedom caucus is definitely suicidal for the Republican party.

"So what did you learn Mr. President?"

"Absolutely nothingAnother day in paradise"

honestly that response is kind of chilling. He literally cannot learn from disaster, he is just going to try and get revenge on anybody he thinks hosed him over

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Anecdote: My uncle, who is the Republican base through and through (White male in 60s, owns a woodworking company in Kentucky,) thinks the Republicans are loving morons for not being able to repeal Obamacare.

my friend from college who is possibly the most republican person i have ever know, and i say this having worked for the mn republican party back in the day, is ready to give up on them over this

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

this was a major loss. The most important part about it however is that it undermines trump's ability to get other wins in the future and emboldens rogue elements in the party to obstruct him.

Tax reform has a better chance of happening because the GOP is generally aligned on it, but its still gonna be real real hard

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

No, I think this is the 1 exact thing that matters. The reason that Trump won the primaries was that he understood this better than anyone else on stage and knew that he could say *anything* as long as he did it in a dominating way.

i remember that one trump supporter interview when he was like "ILL SUPPORT ANYTHING HE DOES, I LOVE THE POWER" and yeah this just takes a dump on that

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/590977355662946304

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Schnorkles posted:

and we're all metast-estatic about it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Solarin posted:

"So what did you learn Mr. President?"

"Absolutely nothingAnother day in paradise"

honestly that response is kind of chilling. He literally cannot learn from disaster, he is just going to try and get revenge on anybody he thinks hosed him over

I got a real cold fury vibe from that, it was curt and to the point wheras trump would usually talk about how he has the best learning

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

still haven't seen a post-vote tweet, have we?

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Yinlock posted:

the narrative is very much "republicans failed" right now though

posted earlier, but yeah democrats aren't really being brought up in the conversation. it's all on ryan and house republicans failing even with trump himself directly naming schumer and pelosi to bring them in the conversation

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Schnorkles posted:

oh totally but right now i'm also drinkin' sierra nevada otra vez

Robert Plant
Jan 6, 2015

Knowing that fat bitch, I wonder if Monday brings us a totally out of left field crazyass new EO with the hope that they can turn heads away from this mess while making the fat bitch feel like a real strong boss man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

Schnorkles posted:

there really isn't a good analogue in the modern era for the level of failure this is.

Clintoncare didn't finally putter out until 94 and he got several bills before then.

i mostly mean the fact that bannon had his propaganda mill try and push the narrative of "ryancare" because he didnt like it and didnt want his fat moron president associated with it in such an absurdly transparent way

• Locked thread