Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I feel like Korok Seeds are a good reward because:
A. There are so many of them, you are basically guaranteed to run into enough to get plenty of upgrades over the course of adventuring as long as you have even a mild curiosity.
B. They translate to permanent upgrades in a game where basically everything is transient and temporary, so they are meaningful rewards.
C. The sound effects, voices, and general cuteness of the Koroks themselves makes them viscerally rewarding to find, much moreso than if they were just hidden objects.

I think too many people are looking at the Korok system in isolation, which is a mistake. Koroks are just another Thing to Find in a game that Nintendo has lovingly loaded with Things to Find. They are meant to co-exist alongside shrines, treasure chests, enemy encampments, landmarks, special weapons, NPCs, overworld bosses, and so forth. They are an Adventuring Reward for spotting something out of place, a drip-feed meant to sustain you while you look for other things. In an average adventuring session, you're liable to find several Koroks, a few treasure chests, a couple of enemy encampments, a few NPCs, maybe a shrine or two-- the rewards are very deliberately varied and evenly paced, and some things clearly are meant to feel like bigger rewards than others. This constant drip feed of discovery and reward is what makes the game so addicting.

Like this is clearly not a game you were ever meant to 100%, and if you feel like you have to see that number on the map screen in order to be satisfied with your time with this game... there's a point where you have to admit that's more of a personal failing than anything that Nintendo did wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The thing about that map screen 100% is it apparently only includes stuff that shows up on a map. The medals you get for killing all of the various minibosses, which is the one postgame challenge I'm actually interested in, doesn't factor into it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The only thing is they shouldn't be tied to map completion %.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I find the Koroks themselves to be fine, they're cute little puzzles to solve but not needed to complete the game, you're obviously not meant to find all of them as the final reward for getting them all is poop, I just wish there was more variety to the rewards. Like I said, a permanent weapon inventory slot that could cost double a normal slot but you keep whatever what is in there so when it breaks it just needs time to recharge, or maybe another way to upgrade armour so the grind for those 4* upgrades isn't quite as bad.

I feel like asking for more shrines and dungeons is maybe a bit much, considering how loving huge the game is already and how even shrines got tedious over time, Koroks seem like the perfect filler to go alongside chests and ore, but the uses we have for seeds tapers off after like two more slots in each category, I never really felt the need to get much more than that and would have used those seeds for other things if I had the option.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Spergatory posted:

A. There are so many of them, you are basically guaranteed to run into enough to get plenty of upgrades over the course of adventuring as long as you have even a mild curiosity.
B. They translate to permanent upgrades in a game where basically everything is transient and temporary, so they are meaningful rewards.
C. The sound effects, voices, and general cuteness of the Koroks themselves makes them viscerally rewarding to find, much moreso than if they were just hidden objects.

I think too many people are looking at the Korok system in isolation, which is a mistake. Koroks are just another Thing to Find in a game that Nintendo has lovingly loaded with Things to Find. They are meant to co-exist alongside shrines, treasure chests, enemy encampments, landmarks, special weapons, NPCs, overworld bosses, and so forth. They are an Adventuring Reward for spotting something out of place, a drip-feed meant to sustain you while you look for other things. In an average adventuring session, you're liable to find several Koroks, a few treasure chests, a couple of enemy encampments, a few NPCs, maybe a shrine or two-- the rewards are very deliberately varied and evenly paced, and some things clearly are meant to feel like bigger rewards than others. This constant drip feed of discovery and reward is what makes the game so addicting.

Like this is clearly not a game you were ever meant to 100%, and if you feel like you have to see that number on the map screen in order to be satisfied with your time with this game... there's a point where you have to admit that's more of a personal failing than anything that Nintendo did wrong.

The problem for me isn't that I have to find eeeeeeeeeeeverything in the game, so much as this is something that is pretty much everywhere and I don't care for it. At all. Before I stopped even trying to solve Korok puzzles, there was a part of me still hoping that when I did finish a dumb rock circle or drop another apple in another prayer bowl, something, anything else other than a Korok would pop up. In a game full of Things to Find, this is something that is boring and nowhere near as rewarding as any one of the shrines, or one of the NPCs I save from monsters, or the encampments, or the towers.

If the Koroks weren't something to find in the game, nothing of value would be lost in any of those other Things to Find because there are so many of them as is! Hell, stick some inventory upgrades in those encampments you clear out, as opposed to a chest opening dramatically to reveal the amazing Amber chunk I already have like a hundred of from having climbed every mountain in sight with hammer in hand. That'd actually improve the value of those encampments/chests you find in the field.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh, I agree about korok seeds being a fine way to make the world denser. I don't intend to reach 900 and I still like coming across a few on a long walk. But I think if instead of 900, they had, say, 300-300-300 of three different things, I wouldn't be quite as fatigued when I come across yet another circle of rocks. And like I mentioned, when there are 900 of these things in the wild, I'd appreciate more than what, 10 types of gimmicks? I know that normally, something like 50-100 puzzle types would be a wildly unrealistic goal, but when some of the puzzles are as simple as "pick up the rock" or "inspect the sparkly dot", I think it's doable. Heck, even mere visual variety would make the puzzles feel less copy-pasted (circle of pots, altars shaped like dragon mouths, metal blocks in tetris shapes instead of cubes).

Edit: it's saying something about the game's quality when my chief complaint is "maybe some of these rocks should have been pots"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

There's post-credits scenes if you do all the main quest stuff (Do all four Divine Beasts and unlock all the memories, including getting the Master Sword). Granted, they aren't mindblowingly good but they work as a decent capper for the game.

Thank you!

Spergatory posted:

The best is that I somehow managed to get to Kaikaroko Village without ever having seen the big Korok guy so I had no goddamn clue what the seeds were for until I got through 75% of the game :emo:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a new text notification now :3:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

kater posted:

I've never been more deflated than figuring out how to work the boko elevators next to Gerudo Tower and then finding out they count as hurt boxes in motion and you can't ride em.

Use stasis

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

The problem for me isn't that I have to find eeeeeeeeeeeverything in the game, so much as this is something that is pretty much everywhere and I don't care for it. At all. Before I stopped even trying to solve Korok puzzles, there was a part of me still hoping that when I did finish a dumb rock circle or drop another apple in another prayer bowl, something, anything else other than a Korok would pop up. In a game full of Things to Find, this is something that is boring and nowhere near as rewarding as any one of the shrines, or one of the NPCs I save from monsters, or the encampments, or the towers.

If the Koroks weren't something to find in the game, nothing of value would be lost in any of those other Things to Find because there are so many of them as is! Hell, stick some inventory upgrades in those encampments you clear out, as opposed to a chest opening dramatically to reveal the amazing Amber chunk I already have like a hundred of from having climbed every mountain in sight with hammer in hand. That'd actually improve the value of those encampments/chests you find in the field.

I found shrines to be more repetitive than koroks, myself. My approach to koroks is that I wouldn't go search for them specifically, but would do the little puzzle if I ever noticed it, so I ended up enjoying them a lot (plus they're my favorite from Wind Waker :3:).

It's the shrines I thought were repetitive. So many of the game's coolest quests just result in a shrine, and most of the time that shrine is either a "Blessing" (so you just go in and get a Spirit Orb) or a combat trial, and that's such a letdown. I really wish there had been fewer shrines overall. Cut all the "Blessing" shrines and just give me the Spirit Orb straight up, like right when I finish the quest or Eventide Isle, and then let other types of quests give Spirit Orbs. Then only make as many shrines as they can make interesting puzzles, maybe with a few unique combat trials (one water one, one magnesis one, one pillars one). Keep all the current shrine quests in, they're all good, just give them different rewards, either directly award a Spirit Orb or a cache of rare materials or something.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Kork seeds as an upgrade currency manage to be great because unlike a lot of games, you can get a generous amount of results for collectibles well before approaching 100% completion.

Seriously, most equivalents would drag things out for you to reach your bog standard allotment of equipment slots you should have already had in the first place. But here? You only start to feel the collectothon strain once you've already boosted yourself up to something impressive like over a dozen weapon slots, plus extra bows and shields.

Going the extra mile, gets you an extra mile's worth. Rather than needing to bust your rear end for a make-do amount of upgrade. It's great.

EDIT: I will agree that it's a pain in the rear end before you know where Hestu is though. With the love of climbing rocks towards my destination, I could easily have gone right past his first spot if I wasn't trying out horses on the beaten path at the time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 25, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This is definitely a game that was not intended for many people to 100% complete it, that's for sure. And I like that, though having a completion percentage does sort of send mixed messages :v:

I like that there are enough koroks in the game that you can miss entire categories of korok puzzles and still have enough to have a comfortable inventory size. Like I got 70 korok seeds total and my inventory size was fine. Although I am completely baffled as to how there are 830 koroks I walked right by since I've been to most places in the game world now :psyduck:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i love the final korok reward

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
A friend got the guide book and showed me a pic of just one small area from the korok map. I was like, "Wait, are all of those points koroks? I've been through that area fairly extensively and found maybe 3 but that's like over a dozen." An hour later I had ten more korok seeds and knew of three more puzzle types. I'm 133 hours in right now and have found 237 seeds.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If you keep simply choosing the weapon storage option, how many melee weapons are you able to hold after collecting 900 seeds?

Also does anyone know what dlc is planned? I'm hoping for something like Earthbound where you can play the game after beating it.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Stumbled across this treasure chest: https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/5yn5ew/treasure_chest_stuck_under_water_and_under_the/

Anyone know how to get it out? I managed to hit it a few times with another chest while in statis but maybe i have to hit it more?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If you keep simply choosing the weapon storage option, how many melee weapons are you able to hold after collecting 900 seeds?

Also does anyone know what dlc is planned? I'm hoping for something like Earthbound where you can play the game after beating it.

It caps out at 441 (hence my suggestion to make 441 the 100% number)

The DLC is in two waves--hard mode, Cave of Trials, and "new map feature" around summer-ish, and then a new story/dungeon and "additional challenges" near the end of the year. Personally I'm hoping they bring the Hyrule Wars concept art to life.

KingEup posted:

Stumbled across this treasure chest: https://www.reddit.com/r/Breath_of_the_Wild/comments/5yn5ew/treasure_chest_stuck_under_water_and_under_the/

Anyone know how to get it out? I managed to hit it a few times with another chest while in statis but maybe i have to hit it more?
Try Cryonising a bit closer to the chest? I'm pretty sure I've come across something similar before and I just pulled it out.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 25, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingEup posted:

Heard people talking about this, it's bugged and stuck in the ground.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe a quick flip upwards using gyro controls? Only thing I can think of.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I wish there were more Talus in the game, because I really like their theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8NlW8jVfEQ

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Just beat the game, didn't go in Hyrule Castle until the very end, it loving owns. Best Zelda yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

If you keep simply choosing the weapon storage option, how many melee weapons are you able to hold after collecting 900 seeds? .

I beleive there are 11 melee, 8 bows, and 16 shield upgrade slots

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I'm glad there's a bajillion Koroks to find. I genuinely enjoy just the movement mechanics of the game. The climbing and paragliding are fun and exploring every nook and cranny. Seeing every square foot of the map is something I'd want to do regardless, so for people like me being rewarded for it on the way is just a nice bonus.

Also what are you guys talking about with picking weapon slots and stuff? And its somehow related to koroks? I haven't seen any sign of anything like that, do you get prompts or do you have to talk to a specific character to get the slots or what?

Oh speaking of specific characters, it was a really bizarre decision to make it so that you have to find and talk to just one specific character in the entire world who will equip your fancy saddles for you. Why not just let link do it himself? That seemed real dumb. "Here's a reward you can't do anything with until you find and talk to 1 (ONE) person in the whole world! Enjoy!"

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 25, 2017

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

I'm glad there's a bajillion Koroks to find. I genuinely enjoy just the movement mechanics of the game. The climbing and paragliding are fun and exploring every nook and cranny. Seeing every square foot of the map is something I'd want to do regardless, so for people like me being rewarded for it on the way is just a nice bonus.

Also what are you guys talking about with picking weapon slots and stuff? And its somehow related to koroks? I haven't seen any sign of anything like that, do you get prompts or do you have to talk to a specific character to get the slots or what?

Oh speaking of specific characters, it was a really bizarre decision to make it so that you have to find and talk to just one specific character in the entire world who will equip your fancy saddles for you. Why not just let link do it himself? That seemed real dumb. "Here's a reward you can't do anything with until you find and talk to 1 (ONE) person in the whole world! Enjoy!"

The korok seeds exist to upgrade your inventory space. Go to the dueling peaks stable and follow the path to kakariko and you will find out how to do it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

There's a cool guy named Hestu who will give you more weapon, bow, and shield slots in exchange for korok seeds. If you haven't gone to the Lost Woods yet, you can find him on the road outside of Kakariko. Otherwise, go to the place in the spoiler.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

El Burbo posted:

The korok seeds exist to upgrade your inventory space. Go to the dueling peaks stable and follow the path to kakariko and you will find out how to do it

The fact that I have played this long with the minimum slots has been annoying, but knowing I didn't have to is way worse. Wished whoever it is I needed to talk to or whatever was more obvious...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

The fact that I have played this long with the minimum slots has been annoying, but knowing I didn't have to is way worse. Wished whoever it is I needed to talk to or whatever was more obvious...

They place him prominently on the road to Kakariko, which is the first place the game tells you to go, but that sorta backfires if you're a quick learner and figure out early that you can travel in many more ways than on roads.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Space T Rex posted:

Me too. I never even so much as walked on that road to get to Kaikaroko Village. I don't remember how I got to Kaikaroko Village, but I sure as hell didn't see him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Space T Rex posted:

There are more than one who'll do it for you, but not all stables have such a person.

Harrow posted:

They place him prominently on the road to Kakariko, which is the first place the game tells you to go, but that sorta backfires if you're a quick learner and figure out early that you can travel in many more ways than on roads.

Does he show up in his home if you haven't rescued his maracas? How about if you didn't meet him the second time when he gets lost on his way home?

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

I think I ended up coming into town from behind. Open world rules but that shouldn't be the difference between playing the entire game with more or less item slots. Fantastic game but needs some real polishing on details like that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Argue posted:

Does he show up in his home if you haven't rescued his maracas? How about if you didn't meet him the second time when he gets lost on his way home?

I don't know, actually. I met him before Kakariko and in a couple other places before he went home, so I'm not sure what happens if you don't meet him at all until you reach his home. Maybe you still need to get him his maracas back.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Argue posted:

Negative. You need to get through the two meetings before he goes home.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Space T Rex posted:

I think I ended up coming into town from behind. Open world rules but that shouldn't be the difference between playing the entire game with more or less item slots. Fantastic game but needs some real polishing on details like that.

I mean, there's really only so much they can do to alleviate the problem of you doing your own thing. Giving you complete freedom means giving you the freedom to miss stuff.

Generally speaking, take a trip through Hyrule in the roads sometime. Grab a horse and just let it ride. You'll discover all sorts of shrines and stables and poo poo you never even knew existed. Lord knows I did.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Molduga theme is the loving poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JgJR4iy7wc

It's a bit depressing to look on Youtube and see that other people didn't immediately jump on a sand seal to fight Molduga and shoot bomb arrows at him while riding in a high speed chase. Because that's what I did and it was amazing.

One thing about this game is it could've used more varied and interesting boss battles. The Blights are decent fights but they are all weak to being shot in the eye and for the most part aren't great at keeping you from just running up and whacking them with your sword over and over. And their health pool is fairly low as well. And they tend to idle a lot between attacks as well. Lynels stood out a lot in being very fast and relentless enemies that keep you on your toes constantly, leading to satisfying fights where using all your available options doesn't feel like cheating.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So what are the highest yield recipes I can cheese the game with?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dizz posted:

I feel like I've gotten nowhere but I'm still dead set on getting all these loving seeds
https://twitter.com/DizzSA1/status/845559958020108288

Give up, skeleton!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bum the Sad posted:

Anything that gives temp hearts will restore health to full, so even just cooking a single item of those (and maybe other things if cooking only one doesn't trigger the effect) will be handy.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Any meat + any plant with the word "hearty" in it always gives a minimum of full health + 1 temp. But usually gives at least + 3 or more. Got a + 6 once or twice I think even.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Sono posted:

Negative. You need to get through the two meetings before he goes home.

You just have to do two cash-ins, I think. I did my first two near Kakariko and the next time I saw him was back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

DaveKap posted:

Just buy the action replay for amiibo. It's stupid easy and costs 15 bucks from Gamestop. Way way way easier than the kind of hacking you apparently have to do to get your phone's NFC to work properly.
I don't have one but the box made it sound like all you could use it for is to put cheats on real amiibos. Like making your Smash amiibos max level or something. I guess it's good for loading Wolf Link with 20 hearts but you'd already have to have one.

If I'm wrong oh well, I only suffered through a small cost for some tags and a bit of frustration trying to find the right build of TagMo

Argue posted:

Yeah, it's a disappointment to go to an interesting-looking island or spot on the map only to find that the only thing there is a korok or two.
For all those folks feeling the Korok blues... don't try setting up your sensor to find Treasure Chests :getin: