Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Spacing out at a map when I noticed there's a little chunk of Connecticut, in the northwest, that's cut off from the rest of the state by I-684. Then I zoomed in and it turns out Blue Sky is there.

There's a metaphor in this, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ThermoPhysical posted:

Saw Sing last night finally. I liked it. It wasn't Zootopia, but it made me want more of it anyway.

Pretty sure Mike is dead though, but no big loss.

There needs to be more Johnny in the 2020 sequel (which is a thing). Also more of the lab technician hippo. He was all over that movie in the background.

I'd watch the gently caress outta this.

Vindicated :smug:

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Applewhite posted:

Vindicated :smug:

I wasn't especially impressed by Sing, but I found it entertaining enough that a sequel wouldn't be unwelcome.

Secret Life of Pets, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about :

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/secret-life-of-pets-2-2018-release-1201828729/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Leap looks like two boring half-movies jammed together into a single really boring movie.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Leap looks like they are making a children's movie about the guy who killed himself by jumping off the Eiffel tower, convinced that his flying suit would work.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Why did they rename Ballerina to Leap! for the US market? Is ballet such an unfathomable concept over there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Why did they rename Ballerina to Leap! for the US market? Is ballet such an unfathomable concept over there?

Kids are into verb titles nowadays. Tangled, Frozen, Shrek.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

B-b-but the teenage boys won't want to see a movie about ballerinas! :ohdear:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Samuel Clemens posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

Kids are into verb titles nowadays. Tangled, Frozen, Shrek.

This and the related reason that I think the current business standard is still that any title that sounds vaguely feminine must be box office deterrent. e. Beaten.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is it only the US? Because I've seen posters here in Canada that say Ballerina

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aces High posted:

likely, because the US is insecure in it's masculinity.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
When I saw Monster Trucks Leap was one of the trailers they played alongside Rock Dog and The Nut Job 2, so apparently the target demographic of all those movies is people who saw the Monster Trucks trailer and thought they might enjoy Monster Trucks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

When I saw Monster Trucks Leap was one of the trailers they played alongside Rock Dog and The Nut Job 2, so apparently the target demographic of all those movies is people who saw the Monster Trucks trailer and thought they might enjoy Monster Trucks.

How was Monster Trucks? Cause it looked like just a fun time that knew how ridiculous its premise was.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mycot posted:

Beaten.

Ah, the infamous domestic abuse Princess movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Ah, the infamous domestic abuse Princess movie.

That's pretty much all of them until someone comes to save them.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

We do love the ballet, though?

Pictured: one fine American enjoying ballet.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Macaluso posted:

How was Monster Trucks? Cause it looked like just a fun time that knew how ridiculous its premise was.

It's pretty harmless and has some monster and truck action. It feels very much like a kids movie, and I got kind of a 90s vibe from it and I don't know if that's because it actually reminds me of 90s stuff or just because I was exposed to more of this kind of movie/show at that time. Just the tone and the acting had that feel to it for me.

Just a few random thoughts:
The villains were an evil oil corporation that had taken over a small town and didn't give a poo poo about the environment (one of the characters is an environmental scientist, played by Thomas Lennon from Reno 911, who works for the oil company and falsifies data so he they can dig on what would otherwise be protected land), which was good. The main villain is Rob Lowe, but I don't think they had him on set for very long. All the bad guy stuff is done by proxy by his security contractor and their leader. At one point he gets a call during a meeting, and then at the end of the movie, there's a montage of all the characters, and he's in the same boardroom being arrested, as if they had to shoot something of him getting his comeuppance with what little time they had left of him being on set. The product placement was pretty intrusive. Everything is Dodge, one of the characters works at a Dodge dealership, and the dealership is a major plot point. Frank Welker plays the monster. It has a lot of time put into setting up the premise of monsters driving trucks, which makes sense because it was meant to set up a toy line or franchise or something.

But yeah not a good movie by any stretch, but I didn't really find it boring or too obnoxious that I can remember. Most of it's pretty forgettable. The synopsis section of the Wikipedia page has been asking to be expanded since January.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 26, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

It's pretty harmless and has some monster and truck action. It feels very much like a kids movie, and I got kind of a 90s vibe from it and I don't know if that's because it actually reminds me of 90s stuff or just because I was exposed to more of this kind of movie/show at that time. Just the tone and the acting had that feel to it for me.

Just a few random thoughts:
The villains were an evil oil corporation that had taken over a small town and didn't give a poo poo about the environment (one of the characters is an environmental scientist, played by Thomas Lennon from Reno 911, who works for the oil company and falsifies data so he they can dig on what would otherwise be protected land), which was good. The main villain is Rob Lowe, but I don't think they had him on set for very long. All the bad guy stuff is done by proxy by his security contractor and their leader. At one point he gets a call during a meeting, and then at the end of the movie, there's a montage of all the characters, and he's in the same boardroom being arrested, as if they had to shoot something of him getting his comeuppance with what little time they had left of him being on set. The product placement was pretty intrusive. Everything is Dodge, one of the characters works at a Dodge dealership, and the dealership is a major plot point. Frank Welker plays the monster. It has a lot of time put into setting up the premise of monsters driving trucks, which makes sense because it was meant to set up a toy line or franchise or something.

But yeah not a good movie by any stretch, but I didn't really find it boring or too obnoxious that I can remember. Most of it's pretty forgettable. The synopsis section of the Wikipedia page has been asking to be expanded since January.

All that sounds good to me! Sounds about right, very much a just fun kids movie.

The product placement wouldn't bother me at all, but I also just never understand complaints about product placement in the first place. Every direction I can currently look there's a brand named product of some kind, almost every second of every day of my real life

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
It's not so much that it's branding everywhere as it is Dodge everywhere, and specifically Dodge, and then they go to the Dodge dealership to convert some Dodge trucks into Dodge trucks with monsters in them so they can fight the other Dodge trucks. It's not really annoying because it's just sort of a silly movie, but it's pretty much Dodge o'clock always, and it was sort of fun watching it and thinking that Dodge was probably why they felt like they had to put the movie out there.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah but I mean... it's a movie about trucks. If they were constantly talking about Pizza Hut while driving their Dodge trucks I suppose that might be a bit jarring

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just saw B&TB!

Ewan McGregor was a bad casting choice (probably the only bad one) and Emma Watson was a "eh, whatever" choice but Disney really should have ponied up for a few months of singing lessons for her.

Beast was............ pleasant to look at :3:

The added scenes don't really add much to the story but overall it wasn't too bad. If the original animated film is a 10/10 (and it is) this is a solid 7/10.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 26, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Aces High posted:

It's a French-Canadian film. It would be kind of weird if the country of origin didn't keep the original title.

PenguinKnight posted:

We do love the ballet, though?

Haha, well played.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Just saw B&TB!

Ewan McGregor was a bad casting choice (probably the only bad one) and Emma Watson was a "eh, whatever" choice but Disney really should have ponied up for a few months of singing lessons for her.

The added scenes don't really add much to the story but overall it wasn't too bad. If the original animated film is a 10/10 (and it is) this is a solid 7/10.

How is the CGI on the things besides his muzzle, which we saw in the trailer?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Just saw B&TB!

I agree with everything you said here. Beauty and the Beast is the best Disney movie, so 10/10 is fair. The remake is a solid 7/10. The changes to the beast work,one him being into reading, but he's also not scary or beastial enough at the beginning, and Belle or the audience is never really scared of him like we and she are in the original.

Also what the gently caress are they doing hiring Ewan MacGregor Jesus CHRIST

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
In no way can it be understated how horrible Ewan MacGregor was in this, but he definitely sounded like he was having fun doing it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh another thing that kind of annoyed me was the additions or extensions to some of the songs. Like Gaston (the song) has all these added lines it doesn't need, and a kind of pointless dance break.

Other songs like Belle and Be Our Guest have little flourishes in the middle of stanzas that break the flow of the verses. Example: in Be Our Guest after "Don't believe me? Ask the dishes!" there's a pointless little fill before the next lyric so the CGI can do something. Same problem when Mrs Potts sings in that song and there's a dumb bit where she stops singing so they can do a 1950s-musical-style aerial shot. Then 30 seconds later it carries on as if the song hadn't been interrupted.

Half the fun of Be Our Guest is how the vocals keep barreling on without pause and it's overwhelming, like all the food being paraded in front of Belle. That's lost with all these stop-start moments in the new one. It's worse on the soundtrack album because there's nothing to watch during the pauses in the song and you just wish it had kept going.

Is this making sense to anyone else?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Totally understand and agree. It's the same with Beauty and The Beast, after some of the lines there's a pause to put a flourish of notes, and it totally ruined the flow of the song for me.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Oh another thing that kind of annoyed me was the additions or extensions to some of the songs. Like Gaston (the song) has all these added lines it doesn't need, and a kind of pointless dance break.

Other songs like Belle and Be Our Guest have little flourishes in the middle of stanzas that break the flow of the verses. Example: in Be Our Guest after "Don't believe me? Ask the dishes!" there's a pointless little fill before the next lyric so the CGI can do something. Same problem when Mrs Potts sings in that song and there's a dumb bit where she stops singing so they can do a 1950s-musical-style aerial shot. Then 30 seconds later it carries on as if the song hadn't been interrupted.

Half the fun of Be Our Guest is how the vocals keep barreling on without pause and it's overwhelming, like all the food being paraded in front of Belle. That's lost with all these stop-start moments in the new one. It's worse on the soundtrack album because there's nothing to watch during the pauses in the song and you just wish it had kept going.

Is this making sense to anyone else?

Yes. I haven't seen the movie yet so I had to go look for the soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQ__xrUF3Y if anyone else wants to see) and you are 100% right. Totally ruins the phrasing of the piece. I can only imagine Alan Menken trying to explain why it was a dumbass idea and having the execs go "but CG!"

Also the beginning is too slow. Also yeesh you guys weren't kidding about that terrible accent.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I don't find his accent all that grating in the movie itself, but in the song it's distracting.

That said, Cogsworth busting out in a turban like Harold Zidler at the end of Moulin Rouge was highly enjoyable and made the song for me Cogsworth in general was a delight to watch and I wish he had more to do in the movie.

My biggest complaint about the music in the movie is Days in the Sun. I love the song, and I think it gets the idea of Human Again across better than that song ever did, and listening to it on the soundtrack made me misty eyed. Then in the movie it feels so clunky and mis-placed. It's just so weirdly stuck into the plot that it makes little sense. It's a shame.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hawkgirl posted:

Yes. I haven't seen the movie yet so I had to go look for the soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qQ__xrUF3Y if anyone else wants to see) and you are 100% right. Totally ruins the phrasing of the piece. I can only imagine Alan Menken trying to explain why it was a dumbass idea and having the execs go "but CG!"

Also the beginning is too slow. Also yeesh you guys weren't kidding about that terrible accent.

Listening to that made me just go download the original version soundtrack. It's weird to hear and all the little flourishes don't quite work. I still don't know if I actually want to see it or not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hedrigall you are dead on regarding the music. Its constructed with visuals in mind rather than making visuals suit the music which results in lots of akward pausing and fills. The one in Gastons song is just atrocious because the song shudders to a halt during it and the song itself is a terrible tune to choreograph a fight plus theres no need for the fight to establish anything so the entire ding dang bit is a waste.

Seriously, everything they changed except Beast liking books is like watching a person fall down a staircase of ladders.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, the ultimate measure of the remakes' worth is if you can recreate Waxonator's Gaston YTP trilogy with it.

Taco Belle

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I listened to the entire soundtrack this weekend and it just made me frown, just constantly frown.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, even based on the trailers and clips, coelasquid was completely right: the Beast has basically no animalistic body language and frankly it makes him far more boring to watch than illustrated-Beast, who mostly emoted through animalistic body language.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Your avatar reminded me: I watched the first Tangled cartoon episode this weekend (albeit without seeing the made-for-TV movie that immediately precedes it and details the return of her hair).

It was okay? Kinda felt like I'd get more out of it if I'd rewatched Tangled beforehand, though; it's one I don't remember that much about.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

they actually come up with a reason for her hair to come back? Does this series take place before or after the wedding (is that wedding short even canon anymore)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So for a while Egoraptor has been doing this weekly thing called Cutie Saturday, where you draw a cute girl, post it on twitter with #CutieSaturday, and he goes through and retweets a ton of them. It's a cool thing he's been doing for months now and it legit brings attention to a lot of artists. Well Ross from Game Grumps has started a monthly thing that's similar to that called Animonthly, where at the end of the month people post some animation of theirs with #Animonthly in the post and Ross retweets a bunch of them. Some of the stuff I've seen get retweeted is REALLY good. So much awesome talent out there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

they actually come up with a reason for her hair to come back? Does this series take place before or after the wedding (is that wedding short even canon anymore)

Yes, the reason for it coming back is the core of the pilot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Pick, I miss your cat avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Macaluso posted:

So for a while Egoraptor has been doing this weekly thing called Cutie Saturday, where you draw a cute girl, post it on twitter with #CutieSaturday, and he goes through and retweets a ton of them. It's a cool thing he's been doing for months now and it legit brings attention to a lot of artists. Well Ross from Game Grumps has started a monthly thing that's similar to that called Animonthly, where at the end of the month people post some animation of theirs with #Animonthly in the post and Ross retweets a bunch of them. Some of the stuff I've seen get retweeted is REALLY good. So much awesome talent out there

Say what you want about Game Grumps the show, but Ross and Arin have worked their asses off to try and promote independent animators and are probably keeping the idea of traditional animation relevant to a new generation.