Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's kind of appalling how much more relaxed and competent Obama was at any given second of his administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'm honestly surprised that so far seemingly no one has combined the various "Trump driving ambulances over cliffs" cartoons with the images of trucker Trump.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shugojin posted:

It's kind of appalling how much more relaxed and competent Obama was at any given second of his administration.
The thing is, I agree with Trump voters that having a professional political class running the country at all times is a problem. However, so far Trump has demonstrated the necessity of it better than anything else. Another reason to say gently caress Trump in hell I guess.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing is, I agree with Trump voters that having a professional political class running the country at all times is a problem. However, so far Trump has demonstrated the necessity of it better than anything else. Another reason to say gently caress Trump in hell I guess.

I don't know, I think the Tea Party has shown pretty well the issue with having people who don't understand politics in charge.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing is, I agree with Trump voters that having a professional political class running the country at all times is a problem.
I really don't anymore than I resent an elitist educated few being allowed to operate on my organs and prescribe me medicine. Or only a select few who have gone to some accredited school are allowed to represent people in court. There's nothing magic about politics that makes it unique that knowing nothing about it makes you better at it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing is, I agree with Trump voters that having a professional political class running the country at all times is a problem.
How would you change the system to prevent that without having the lobbyists just take over, full stop? Same reason I'm against term limits.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How would you change the system to prevent that without having the lobbyists just take over, full stop? Same reason I'm against term limits.
I don't know, but it definitely wasn't electing Donald Trump.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Picnic Princess posted:

Not hating him making America's dong Flor-Ivanka

Can only imagine they killed or evacuated every single person in Georgia and the Carolinas. It's the only explanation for how they would come to be part of Florida.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The entire issue is that the system selects more towards a family history of politics than actual competence. How the gently caress anyone fixes this has eluded humans for just slightly less time than we've had politics.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ah yes, political families. Like Barack Obama, son of a Kenyan immigrant and a student. Or Bill Clinton, son of a single mother in Arkansas. Or Hillary Clinton, daughter of a textile shop owner out of Chicago. Such long political legacies daring back to the founding.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Look all these problems would just be solved if we ran the Government like we do a household!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The longest we've ever had in terms of political dynasty is two, and that seems to be a perfectly acceptable amount honestly. I dare you to oppose FDR on the basis that we've already had a Roosevelt president, for instance. As far as I know we've never even threatened to have a third until JEB and, well, lol.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quorum posted:

The longest we've ever had in terms of political dynasty is two, and that seems to be a perfectly acceptable amount honestly. I dare you to oppose FDR on the basis that we've already had a Roosevelt president, for instance. As far as I know we've never even threatened to have a third until JEB and, well, lol.

Weren't some of the Adamses related?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Weren't some of the Adamses related?

John and John Quincy were father and son, yep.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Ah yes, political families. Like Barack Obama, son of a Kenyan immigrant and a student. Or Bill Clinton, son of a single mother in Arkansas. Or Hillary Clinton, daughter of a textile shop owner out of Chicago. Such long political legacies daring back to the founding.

Don't be willfully dense. There are plenty of dynastic politicians in Congress, for example. And look at all the Kennedys who have held public office.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

On the other hand we did have a Bush, then a Clinton, and then another Bush, with a second Clinton attempting to claw her way in the last couple times while also being a Senator and then Department head (likewise for the rest of the Bush clan). Twenty years with two last names in the White House can feel like political dynasties are well entrenched even if they aren't all that long compared to other historical examples.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Don't be willfully dense. There are plenty of dynastic politicians in Congress, for example. And look at all the Kennedys who have held public office.

Thats also an example on how to end a political dynasty

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Despera posted:

Thats also an example on how to end a political dynasty

gently caress you, Ted Kennedy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fulchrum posted:

gently caress you, Sirhan Sirhan.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

between joseph p. in the house and chris kennedy in illinois, i imagine the kennedy family is waiting for an opportunity to vault themselves back into the national spotlight.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

JRRose must be sooooo jealous

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

QuoProQuid posted:

between joseph p. in the house and chris kennedy in illinois, i imagine the kennedy family is waiting for an opportunity to vault themselves back into the national spotlight.
Joe P. seems like a pretty charismatic guy, but I know zero about his policies - is he machine through and through?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

On the other hand we did have a Bush, then a Clinton, and then another Bush, with a second Clinton attempting to claw her way in the last couple times while also being a Senator and then Department head (likewise for the rest of the Bush clan). Twenty years with two last names in the White House can feel like political dynasties are well entrenched even if they aren't all that long compared to other historical examples.

Not to pick on you, DB, but I've noticed a weird tendency all over political discourse to use "claw" as a verb when it comes to Hillary Clinton doing things.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

gently caress you, Sirhan Sirhan.

The man's got chutzpah, if nothing else.

Sirhan Sirhan at his 1982 parole hearing posted:

I sincerely believe that if Robert Kennedy were alive today, he would not countenance singling me out for this kind of treatment. I think he would be among the first to say that, however horrible the deed I committed 14 years ago was, that it should not be the cause for denying me equal treatment under the laws of this country.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Joe P. seems like a pretty charismatic guy, but I know zero about his policies - is he machine through and through?

by all accounts, he's a standard liberal. he had warren as a law professor and is member of the house progressive caucus, but i don't think he's generally thought of as far left.

don't really know what his aspirations are, but i imagine that the democratic party is looking for opportunities to pad out his resume.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 26, 2017

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

King Possum III posted:

The first two are from the Netherlands;

Jeez, I had no idea patients under Trumpcare get ketchup, chipotle and relish IVs, that's hosed up.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Was out of town. No wifi. Need to get it out of my system:

Ramirez somehow commits the classic Trump blunder of calling it a "Ban" and then making the punchline "Define Ban! :smuggo:"

Thank you.

Science doesn't disprove god. It just manages to contradict scripture with incredibly damning and consistent frequency.

MechaCrash posted:

There is actually truth to the tomato flavor thing. It's because large commercial growers, when breeding their tomatoes, select for things like "grows quickly" and "transports well." Stuff like "actually tastes good" is pretty far down the list.

There's a lesson to be learned here by the people who love jerking off to UNGH FREE MARKET BIG BUSINESS but I don't think they'll figure it out.

I'm just parroting Alton Brown here, but I think the major reason is because store tomatoes are picked when they are still green. Then they are transported to regional distributors where they are "ripened" with ethylene gas. The gas does make them red, but does not create as much sugar as letting them ripen on the vine would.

Also "vine-ripened" doesn't mean anything, so don't believe it.

Also don't refrigerate your tomatoes.

If you ever go to farmer's markets, tomatoes are the number one thing you should be picking up. Cucumbers are a close second.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Not to pick on you, DB, but I've noticed a weird tendency all over political discourse to use "claw" as a verb when it comes to Hillary Clinton doing things.

I'm guessing because Hillary Clinton has never been particularly subtle about her political ambitions, even by the standards of "I have a female reproductive unit and genetic spawn to prove that I, Ted Cruz, am a human being and not an eldritch horror from beyond the veil" US political campaigning.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Holy poo poo Ramirez made a funny cartoon.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I laughed

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I hate it when I kind of like a Ramirez.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Truck trump looks like a captain planet villain trying and then failing to run over the Planeteers.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Who drew this, and what have they done with Ramirez?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

I'm guessing because Hillary Clinton has never been particularly subtle about her political ambitions, even by the standards of "I have a female reproductive unit and genetic spawn to prove that I, Ted Cruz, am a human being and not an eldritch horror from beyond the veil" US political campaigning.

Yeah, but neither are lots of people, we don't use that kind of terminology for anyone but her. Maybe it's worth considering what kind of toxic narratives we are unwittingly and unintentionally perpetuating.

Tbh I kind of like my politicians to be open about their ambitions; I voted for a mayor who is young and passionate and also transparently wants to use the mayoral office to run for governor or something one day. Which I'm ok with, it's incentive to do well.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

Ambition is good when a man has it and pure evil for a woman, etc. etc.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Honestly not sure how to interpret this.

British values will stop radicalisation?

British institutions will be destroyed by radicals?

Radicalisation doesn't fit into Britain?

British people are opening bridges which radicals don't care about?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Honestly not sure how to interpret this.

British values will stop radicalisation?

British institutions will be destroyed by radicals?

Radicalisation doesn't fit into Britain?

British people are opening bridges which radicals don't care about?

"I like to draw boats. I like to draw bridges."

After that he just slaps a label wherever he forgot to crosshatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
It seems like letting people in is a good idea until you look at the boat as a whole as it will destroy your institution in one passing motion.

It's still a poo poo cartoon

• Locked thread