Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Imagined posted:

Kennel posted:

Have escalators actually killed anyone in Western countries? (in the last 25 years or so)

It's seems like it's always China when these things happen.
Not often except for elevator technicians.

Is it like a competitive thing? I would expect escalator technicians to be at more risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Grem posted:

You guys hear about that escalator in Hong Kong?

Yeah, it went downhill pretty quickly

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not often except for elevator technicians.

Is it like a competitive thing? I would expect escalator technicians to be at more risk.
[/quote]

Just saying if you're just a passenger you're in almost zero danger.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Mitch Hedberg lied to me :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sorry for the convenience

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well that de-escalated quickly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In fact, I think I read somewhere that the "number of people who've died in elevators in the last 25 years" or whatever statistic is skewed by the dozen or so poor bastards who died when the WTC elevators fell on 9/11 because the plane(s) cut their all the cables simultaneously, that aside from them and elevator technicians it's near zero.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Imagined posted:

In fact, I think I read somewhere that the "number of people who've died in elevators in the last 25 years" or whatever statistic is skewed by the dozen or so poor bastards who died when the WTC elevators fell on 9/11 because the plane(s) cut their all the cables simultaneously, that aside from them and elevator technicians it's near zero.

That can't be true. Peoples loose clothes such as scarfs get caught between the doors suffocating them, or they are transporting something large (furniture, trash cans) that gets jammed against the door and crushes the person. In EU inner elevator doors have been mandatory since 1999 but only for new elevators, older than that and this can happen. Brief googling reveals that there have been at least three elevator deaths just in Finland around 1996-2002.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nenonen posted:

That can't be true. Peoples loose clothes such as scarfs get caught between the doors suffocating them, or they are transporting something large (furniture, trash cans) that gets jammed against the door and crushes the person. In EU inner elevator doors have been mandatory since 1999 but only for new elevators, older than that and this can happen. Brief googling reveals that there have been at least three elevator deaths just in Finland around 1996-2002.

3 deaths in 6 years is practically zero, given than 50,000 people die there every year.

You're in the region of 'death by otter' in terms of likelihood.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Nenonen posted:

I can't wait till Britain leaves the EU and we all die via elevator

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sout posted:

EU outlawed stabbing people in the elevator so there have been no elevator deaths in the UK for decades.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

sout posted:

all elevators become paternosters

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Construction Workers Catch Thief - Wait For It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiXyCLjlVmw&feature=youtu.be

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

spog posted:

3 deaths in 6 years is practically zero, given than 50,000 people die there every year.

You're in the region of 'death by otter' in terms of likelihood.

cut out cancer and heart disease and 0,5 deaths per year becomes a lot more significant

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Prav posted:

cut out cancer and heart disease and 0,5 deaths per year becomes a lot more significant

You're right. If we eliminate the two largest causes of death then most people won't die anymore.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Don't double down on this one Prav it was a bad argument

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Nenonen posted:

all elevators become paternosters

Old geezer shamelessly peepin' some butt there.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Ak Gara posted:

Mitch Hedberg lied to me :(

Funny enough it was in hongkong where I saw a sign for a broken escalator which read

"This escalator is currently broken,

Please use as stairs

Sorry for the inconvenience"

being nearly word for word the joke seems like too much of a coincidence

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

What is there even to steal from a construction site that's worth going on a ridealong for?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tools? Heavy equipment like generators or welders? Copper pipes and wire?

e: the video description specifically says a drill. I'm sure a cordless Makita or whatever would hock for enough to buy a bag of meth.

e2: oh, you mean what's worth risking your life for. Well, interesting fact, a lot of the equipment on construction sites is either owned by the individual workers, who can't afford to replace it, or if it's owned by the contractor and it gets stolen under a worker's watch, guess who's losing their job?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 26, 2017

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

This rules. I'm gonna print it out and put it up as a safety poster.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Greatest Living Man posted:

This rules. I'm gonna print it out and put it up as a safety poster.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Can't breathe in vaporized metals if you can't breathe.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Maxwells Demon posted:

You're right. If we eliminate the two largest causes of death then most people won't die anymore.

point was that if it's not 'death by otter' you're pretty likely to get a full lifetime. that's why those uncommon CODs are notable.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Perestroika posted:

What is there even to steal from a construction site that's worth going on a ridealong for?

Guy chases him down and rams him with his truck too, on video. Pretty sure there are a lot of crimes there.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Oh boy it's time for elevator talk again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

Super great video about how elevators work (and problems with stuff) and why you loving stay on the elevator if it failed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hanales posted:

Guy chases him down and rams him with his truck too, on video. Pretty sure there are a lot of crimes there.

According to this news article that was "a PIT maneuver to ram the suspect's car and stop him from driving off", which means it was a tactical ramming. :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

My gut feeling is that the paper shield would at least block sparks, while the thin plastic bag might not.

Edit: I mean regardless the fact that the welding guy is going blind

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forer posted:

Oh boy it's time for elevator talk again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus

Super great video about how elevators work (and problems with stuff) and why you loving stay on the elevator if it failed.

Mother fuckers brought up Speed and didn't talk about it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In 1910, high vis consisted of a white shirt with a black tie, and only the supervisors wore that. At least most of them wore vests too so their ties aren't flapping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9dOcTFN5R4

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Stumbled across this after browsing the FOOF thread

From the archives: Chemists lose hands from peroxide explosions

quote:

About a half hour later the worker took the bottle out of the chest and was carrying it back to his lab when the material detonated with sufficient force to tear off both his hands.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

baquerd posted:

In 1910, high vis consisted of a white shirt with a black tie, and only the supervisors wore that. At least most of them wore vests too so their ties aren't flapping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9dOcTFN5R4

The ticking sound kills it a little.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

well that was something

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bitches have never seen the escalators in the Moscow Metro. Surprisingly the only major incident there killed 8 people in 1982.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviamotornaya_(Moscow_Metro)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't gently caress with drain segregation, kids.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Today I got to witness the most OSHA scene in my life when a truck driver nearly killed himself. It was at a construction yard where due to cramped space they have to unload trucks at the side of a narrow road. There are traffic controllers to let traffic only to one direction at a time.

The above truck is being unloaded from the side, but the one that had the mishap was being unloaded by a tower crane, so the roofs of the trailer and truck's rear were opened for unloading. To be able to open the roof the driver first needs to open the rear doors. You are supposed to fix the opened doors to their place on the sides of the truck so wind doesn't close them, but this is often ignored. Of course today was windy...

So what happened was the driver had opened the rear trailer roof and now was getting the truck's cargo ready. Then the wind caught on the right rear door and I would like to imagine it slammed to the driver's face, to which he reacted by going to reopen it. Meanwhile one of the traffic controllers, not seeing what was going on between the truck and its trailer, let a car pass the truck, and BAM! the door hit the car's side mirror (which fell off) and then slammed with great force right into the driver's face! It could have been really bad (the trucker had no helmet) but this time the trucker got away with a black eye and some headache, he was taken for a checkup at hospital but was deemed to be okay.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

There's no way this is up to code...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
no it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Power Over Ethernet