Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

What would be your preferred alternate course of action?

I'd like having a clear idea of what I'm supposed to do. What if I spot/engage the enemy while I'm in a trench and the conditions for me moving out are met, should I stay or should I go? Dealing with enemies directly in my path is easy, but I need to know what my guys are to do if there's friendly units already in the center trench when the other infantry brigade reaches the woods. Is there an alternative position you want my guys in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

I'd like having a clear idea of what I'm supposed to do. What if I spot/engage the enemy while I'm in a trench and the conditions for me moving out are met, should I stay or should I go? Dealing with enemies directly in my path is easy, but I need to know what my guys are to do if there's friendly units already in the center trench when the other infantry brigade reaches the woods. Is there an alternative position you want my guys in?

Fair enough. I'll make my intentions clearer.

Your mission for the next two sets of turns is simple: 1) Prevent the Germans from crossing the M3 and M4 ford. 2) Destroy or delay German forces trying to cross the M1 or the M2 fords.

To clarify my earlier orders. If you are relieved by 7th Infantry Division and the center trench is already occupied, then move north into the Effyaders forest and support the ACs covering the northern fords.*

*one conditional to this: if you are relieved by the infantry, but the Germans have made breakthrough in the south -- then move to a good defensive position to cut off the Germans or hit them from the flank. I recommend you deploy in the southern edge of the Effyaders forest to do this.

Does that answer your questions?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sufficiently.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Istvun posted:

General Loel: When is our scout plane arriving, and where will it be?

Last orders had it south of Stetoscope, Im unsure if I can still change it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infantry Engineer 2: Once the trench work is complete head towards the river and built wire in between the two trenches.

Mounted Engineer 1:Once all the farms have been looted make your way back into Foret de Effyaders and set up wire as marked on the map.

Mounted Engineer 2: Keep on digging trenches towards the south.

Emergency Orders

Fall back away from the enemy to the west end of Saucisson Vallee and set up wire across the road (Infantry engineer) before starting work on trenches on either side of the road that are outside the Vallee.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 25, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Loel-- I need something cleared up. What do you want the cav to be doing once the infantry get to Effyaders?

Right now, there are three options being bounced around in Roll20.

1) secure the northern part of Effyaders woods and leave the south to the infantry. With the cav being prepared to pull out and rush south as a mobile reserve, if needed.
2) have the cavalry fill the gap between the Effydaders trenches. They can support the infnatry with ranged weapons or with counter-charges against charging German infantry.
3) have the cavalry completely pull out of the line to act as a mobile reserve.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Loel-- I need something cleared up. What do you want the cav to be doing once the infantry get to Effyaders?

Right now, there are three options being bounced around in Roll20.

1) secure the northern part of Effyaders woods and leave the south to the infantry. With the cav being prepared to pull out and rush south as a mobile reserve, if needed.
2) have the cavalry fill the gap between the Effydaders trenches. They can support the infnatry with ranged weapons or with counter-charges against charging German infantry.
3) have the cavalry completely pull out of the line to act as a mobile reserve.

I think 2 gives us most flexibility, but Ill be in chat tonite if people want to persuade me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In accordance to modifications made based on roll20 discussion, here are my orders:

Combat formation when on the move:

Standing orders when in defensive stance:
Dismount
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Standing orders when on the attack:
Mount
Keep moving along original path
Launch a Cavalry Charge
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

The brigade is to advance to the following positions and defend:

Conditional orders: If the brigade is charged, it is to mount, switch to attack stance and directly countercharge, until the enemy charging it is repelled, after which it is to head back and return to the defensive formation in the picture above.

Wait here until the infantry brigade arrives to relieve you. Once the infantry brigade arrives to take our positions, we are to redeploy here:
(note: the MG is to deploy in a way that lets it use the billy bonus on one of friendly the infantry chits)

Conditional orders: If you see or hear the enemy charging any friendly brigade, you are to mount, switch to attack stance, and initiate a cavalry charge on that enemy. Once the enemy has been dealt with, you are to head back and return to the defensive formation in the picture above. (And just in case there's something conflicting when choosing who to charge, always be charging the closest enemy and please don't try to cross the fords)

e: Note: The brigade commander is always placed to be within 8 inches from the road.

my dad fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 25, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Does the artillery have updated orders? I didn't see a post with them.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Loel: I think you haven't made a post saying when you want our new division to arrive. I think we will be fine holding, but it is best to make that explicit.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: The adjudication begins...

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

my dad posted:

Does the artillery have updated orders? I didn't see a post with them.

Arty not even nearly in position, and as yet I see nothing that suggests previous orders are invalid.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Well, that took far too long. Full update follows tomorrow; in the morning if I can get up in enough time before I have to go out, in the evening if not.

In the meantime, here's your halfway overview:

with a correction outside Effyaders

And your end-of-update overview:

I'm busy in the middle of the week. I may be able to run an update Tuesday night, but maybe not.

For now, your next soft deadline is 5pm Monday 27th March, and I'll let you know as soon as possible whether you can have an extra 24 hours for this one.

Next update after that will be Thursday, or maybe Friday.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well the bloodshed has finally started.

Edit: On a more serious note our cavalry should be able to help reinforce the north and our artillery should allow us to break the southern attack.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmmm... Balls.

Also they do have a bridge at the south edge of the map.

e: I estimate that I am losing approximately my force in half an hour.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 26, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We need the rest of the turn to assess what really happened, but from what I can tell it looks like we extremely blunted their attack.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tentative response, comments welcome.

Operation: Firefighter

Cav goes north, infantry not in trenches gets in trenches, artillery focuses on the south. Home by Christmas.

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, some intel work

Bridge built in the south, some cav scouting in the center, major breakthrough in the north. Im guessing they were still committed in the south, and their reinforcement division came in the North.

We crunched up their scouts, and now they have an infantry brigade in the woods, some cav on the northern bridges, and in the south, infantry in the open, with IDF aiming at them.

I really do think they brought in reinforcements in the north - they were probably thinking we were fully focused on the south, and they'd sneak by us. I don't expect them to split their forces in the future, considering whats happening to them now.

Staff, thoughts?

edit: Comedy option :v: By attacking our flanks, they've left their center open!

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I can't sleep. Here you go.

As discussed in Roll20, we're now moving to "Day X, Turn YY" designations; you will always be able to work out the turn number on the hour by multiplying it by 2 (and the hour by dividing the turn by 2). Turn 2 each day is 0100, Turn 24 is 1200 noon, Turn 48 is 0000 midnight.

Day 2, Turn 24 (Turn 57)
German initiative

The 22nd Brigade arrives.

And, it seems, not a moment too soon.

You begin clearing Blob.

Nearly done.

Pater Meus prepares to leave, but before he can move, this happens.

And then the front rank charges...

The ACs spot some indirect fire going off.

You're not quite sure where it lands. The cars badly honk some rolls.

This is more like it.

That took just about everything you had, but you got it done.

Day 2, Turn 25 (Turn 58)
German initiative

Oh no, this is just no good at all.

The 20th moves 8 inches, and then sees this.

The 21st finds a few emergency sausage rations and a note for the milkman.

The guns halt.

The 22nd moves up.

More indirect fire falls on your cars from the same place.

Pater Meus's attention is split in the south, but he gets the job done on both ends.

Day 2, Turn 26 (Turn 59)
German initiative

I'm having trouble remembering which is the 20th and which is the 21st, but whoever this is begins occupying Trench J.

Oh dear.

The guns unlimber.

Most of the suppressed retreaters in the south get moving forward again.

Surprise!

A whole cavalry brigade passes through the middle ford; you get several shots at it and honk all but one of them.

Kaboom.

Goodnight.

Day 2, Turn 27 (Turn 60)
German initiative

Pater Meus finishes the job and then gets on the road.

The 22nd is mildly surprised to find a cavalry division HQ here.

You clear Blob and prepare to set up some proper defences.

You also spot something. Why would they put wire there?

The 7th has just made contact with your guns, and now it's gone and found more targets for them. How nice!

Whouf, good rally phase.

Day 2, Turn 28
German initiative

Whoever this is begins assuming the position.

The 22nd advances boldly.

Good job, you caught them up.

And saw something else.

Well, that's ok, you've got help coming.

The Germans attempt to charge; two companies survive, but fail the morale check before close combat and retreat suppressed.

Day 2, Turn 29
British initiative

The 22nd finds some trouble.

Nice to see you, so glad you could make it.

Wait a minute. The hell is going on down there???

You open up on them with your MG.

Oooof, that'll leave a mark.

Four companies survive to contact, though.

Four dead, five retreating suppressed, and the brigade commander among the dead. ABC, folks.

Dayy 2, Turn 30
British initiative

It worked last time...

A brigade commander scratches his head.

The 22nd has contacted the guns, and takes some friendly fire.

The charge goes well, again, but it seems the Germans have brought two brigades to the party.

Day 2, Turn 31
British initiative

More of the same. Indirect fire!

MGs!

Rifles!

Your MG in Trench J gets taken out! Overview!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There is arty in Ferme Inutille. Id like it dead :black101:

Proposal: Operation Audacious Elan

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PS: You still have a spotter plane flight. If you want to use it, Loel needs to post with the location and the turn number. Use it or lose it. It can't see poo poo at night.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Trin Tragula posted:

PS: You still have a spotter plane flight. If you want to use it, Loel needs to post with the location and the turn number. Use it or lose it. It can't see poo poo at night.

Division Commanders, talk to me. Where do we want it?

Im considering having it cover the western road out of Stethescope, and some of Ferme Inutille. Like so:

Trin, Plane goes here turn 4 of next phase

edit:

General guidelines

1: Secure the trenchline
2: Gain control the bridges
3: Eliminate artillery

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 2, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
We are currently in the middle of being assaulted en masse, we should not be sending our brigades out on blind charges.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Loel posted:

Sir, if that happens I will be routed in the Foret, even with lenoon's artillery supporting. The germans have the advantage in men and machine guns unless I can get my dad to support. Afterwards, depending on the scout plane report I would be willing to go hunting.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
I died as I lived, honking.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sixkiller posted:

I died as I lived, honking.

Anyone play Space Station 13? :D

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Loel posted:

Some of the boffins in the mapping department have managed to triangulate the German battery's location based on Gen Sixkiller's intel. We believe this information to be accurate enough to allow for effective counterbattery fire.

So far we appear to have spotted two infantry brigades in the north and one in the south. German divisions tend to be made up of 4 brigades given the smaller size of their formations, so we should expect to see at least one additional infantry brigade shortly.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Some of the boffins in the mapping department have managed to triangulate the German battery's location based on Gen Sixkiller's intel. We believe this information to be accurate enough to allow for effective counterbattery fire.

So far we appear to have spotted two infantry brigades in the north and one in the south. German divisions tend to be made up of 4 brigades given the smaller size of their formations, so we should expect to see at least one additional infantry brigade shortly.

What's the distance from our gun park? If they've figured out where ours are, well, we should try and paste them first.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
3 of our guns are currently in range of theirs. We can maybe get 3-4 of their guns in the bombardment. However we also need support in the south. Can artillery split fire?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Not gonna complain about my unit's performance, that's for sure. :v:

Now we play the guessing game with their artillery. They know where our guns are since they obliterated their cav in the woods. We know where their guns are since they obliterated our ACs. What will they do? What should we do?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:ducksiren: TRIN, THERE IS A CONTAINMENT BREACH! :ducksiren:

The German team is recruiting in the tg game recruitment thread, and has posted maps of their positions. Haven't seen them myself, but ThatBastardKen had the misfortune of seeing the post.

my dad fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 26, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

my dad posted:

:ducksiren: TRIN, THERE IS A CONTAINMENT BREACH! :ducksiren:

The German team is recruiting in the tg game recruitment thread, and has posted maps of their positions. Haven't seen them myself, but ThatBastardKen had the misfortune of seeing the post.

Needless to say, no Enente players should go anywhere near that post.

edit: roll20 late night Saturday chat:

The artillery should consider limbering on turn 8 of the next update. Start off supporting the south, then go to counter battery fire.

The 21st is probably heading north.

Flanks to hold.

Reinforcements to go where they're most needed.

God save the king.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 26, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

my dad posted:

Not gonna complain about my unit's performance, that's for sure. :v:

You can certainly put a feather in your cap for that last turn. Medals and a knighthood for everyone!

And it'd seem all our planning last night has gone right out the windows. No plan survives contact with the enemy and all that :hist101:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Righty-o what what, presents for the fritzes on their way courtesy of the finest branch of his majesty's most armed forces h'over ere in the most contemptible B-E-F, naw hour horders 'ave become complicahted, so you men better look livelyah!

Come off default support orders.
Remaining indirect fire missions: 7

Turn 32:

Follow this plan regardless of spotting or received orders

Northern guns are to target the area indicated around the ford. Four guns.

Southern guns, attempt to target the rear positions of the southern german brigade.

2 turns of fire.

Turn 34:

All guns to saturate the red/orange fire zone to the south. Everything in this zone, alive, dead, made of meat, made of wire, must be gone by the end of the day.

Continue this fire pattern until there are no more indirect fire missions left today.

If at any point direct fire can be taken AFTER indirect fire missions are spent, fire at nearest unengaged and visible enemy target

As night falls:

Limber up and retreat West into Saucisson Vallee, settle down for making some tea.

lenoon fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 28, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

In roll20 we were entertaining the idea of ditching the center entirely and sending the 21st North. The basis for this is the center is the weakest position, has already had a cavalry scouting attack launched on it, and can be defended from the woods.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That would work, I guess in that case I can stay pretty much where I am - or limber up to fall back out of rifle range.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Trin, some rules questions:

1)Can cav charge into units already in melee?
2)Can cav charge through/over friendly units?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

20th BRIGADE STATUS:
14 of 22 (64%) - chits ready for action
08 of 22 (36%) - chits KIA, including MG

Brigade will receive a second fatigue marker tomorrow morning since we entered combat.

We should be good to handle the current German infantry brigade to the south, although it will leave us dangerously depleted if an additional brigade attacks before evening. Recommend to Division HQ that we get rotated out overnight with another brigade for rest & refit.

With the loss of our MG we don't have anything with sufficient range to take out the German MGs facing us, leaving them free to plink away at our lines. We'd like to submit a request through Division for :siren:priority artillery support:siren: to take out those MGs before they do more damage.

Current firing ranges in south

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My suggestion would be 3-4 guns on counterbattery fire, depending on how many of them can hit the German guns, 1 gun near the enemy cav HQ chit for one round, just in case we can get a hit on it before it gets orders to move, and the rest on the MGs to the south. No chance of friendly fire that way, at least, and we're targeting chits that are likely to stay in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
To illustrate what I think my_dad is proposing:

3 of our guns can counter-battery their indirect artillery right now. We can cover 4 of their guns with the barrage.

That leaves 5 of our guns that can cover the german artillery and 2/3's of their machine guns in the south by doing a barrage like this:

• Locked thread