Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i always wanted to spend a couple thousand hours playing crusader kings 2, all i need now is a couple thousand hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Hodgepodge posted:

basically space pirates then?

They are a separate faction in addition to regular AI factions :lol:

I love it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

Or nine-year-old Komasi, whose name means "kill him", and his little brother Komaniso, aka "kill him also".
lmao

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Brown Menace posted:

At first stellaris seemed like a good spiritual successor of sorts to master of Orion but it's just full of insanely bad design decisions and gets boring af after the early game dios mio
That does sound like a close spiritual succession to MOO tbh

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

punchymcpunch posted:

i always wanted to spend a couple thousand hours playing crusader kings 2, all i need now is a couple thousand hours

Did this with DoTA 2.

No game is worth that many hours.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hodgepodge posted:

basically space pirates then?
No, not like space pirates

pirates are fun

i'm talking about the ai of an empire you're facing, breaking up it's fleet, and then just running those guys around your space territory, and you can't catch them, because of the way the ftl system interacts with the way they set up solar systems

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

rudatron posted:

No, not like space pirates

pirates are fun

i'm talking about the ai of an empire you're facing, breaking up it's fleet, and then just running those guys around your space territory, and you can't catch them, because of the way the ftl system interacts with the way they set up solar systems

set up defenses, and problem solved.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I did a thing posted:

If the wind is at your back, I could see this making perfect sense.

But if you are walking into the wind, would that not slow you down. It just sounds inefficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOIS1RT7ks

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

do do do curiosity do do do

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

jBrereton posted:

That does sound like a close spiritual succession to MOO tbh

No!!!!!!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
like stellaris doesn't know what it wants to do

it's built too much like EU4 in space to be a real 4x, but the 4x elements stop it being a good EU4 in space

the tech system is bad, pop management (especially with things like biomes and gene-modding) is pure tedium, and the decision to split each star into it's own little circular area, where units move around, means you have to keep jumping between systems in close up, and it's disorientating

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jBrereton posted:

world in flames collaborative 4 week speedrun involving 22 hour days

Are you reading the LP because if you're not, you really should, it's been going for at least a year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

silvergoose posted:

Are you reading the LP because if you're not, you really should, it's been going for at least a year.

eh I'll just post the link so other people can find it too

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692085

and change my comment to at least two years :hellyeah:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stellaris is bad

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

cumshitter posted:

thre was a game called North Vs. South on the nintendo and you could set it up so the computer played against itself

i was a very dorky child and i watched my nintendo entertainmnet system try to outsmart itself and watched for hours as it played out a neverending stalemavt

i rented that game from the local independent video rental store in the lovely strip mall

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

born to die world in flames kill em all 1939 trashcan man 69 dead cops

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I did a thing posted:

set up defenses, and problem solved.
stations cost resources in maintenance which you're better of spending on ships, and the differing ftl types means you can't just place them on chokepoints, because that'll get bypassed by guys with wormholes, so you have to place them in a ton of systems

that, and if your empire is sufficiently large, it's more make-work tedium to go through

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The best deals :smugdon: :lol:

quote:

"He didn't care or particularly know about health care," a key GOP congressional aide said about Trump following the stunning defeat of the Republican health care plan Friday.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://store.steampowered.com/app/464880/

get this

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rudatron posted:

stations cost resources in maintenance which you're better of spending on ships, and the differing ftl types means you can't just place them on chokepoints, because that'll get bypassed by guys with wormholes, so you have to place them in a ton of systems

that, and if your empire is sufficiently large, it's more make-work tedium to go through

force hyperlanes 👍

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://mobile.twitter.com/borzou/status/845954859014770689

lol what a bozo

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

He is literally unable to comprehend the fact that people can say no to him and might not like what he wants to do.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

Let's say NATO isn't paying its fair share relative to each countries respective GDP.

Does Trump really not understand the value of having such a large military force to act as a proxy/buffer for the United States? Doesn't he recognize their strategic value is absolutely worth the money we provide to the alliance?

Mattis probably restrains himself daily from punching Trump in the throat.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hahahaha

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I did a thing posted:

Does Trump really not understand

The answer to this question, regardless of the rest of the question, is almost always going to be 'no' :lol:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

heres a comically oversized prop bill that im not even handing to you in public, its behind closed doors

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

why would trump give merkel 400 billion dollars

and do they even print money in that denomination

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

reminder that Trump wants Mattis' cummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQXTv7BYAU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ah, so that's how he plans on paying for the wall.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

A Handed Missus posted:

reminder that Trump wants Mattis' cummies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQXTv7BYAU

Assuming the orange menace makes it through his first time without Comey bending him over a barrel, I hope Mattis primaries Trump.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-freedom-caucus-obamacare-repeal-replace-secret-pact-236507

POLITICO - How a secret Freedom Caucus pact brought down Obamacare repeal posted:

The few dozen true believers knew that pressure from House leaders and President Donald Trump to fall in line would be immense, and they were intent on not getting boxed in.

In a conference room in the Rayburn House Office Building, the group met that evening and made a secret pact. No member would commit his vote before consulting with the entire group — not even if Trump himself called to ask for an on-the-spot commitment. The idea, hatched by Freedom Caucus vice chairman Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), was to bind them together in negotiations and ensure the White House or House leaders could not peel them off one by one.

Twenty-eight of the group's roughly three dozen members took the plunge.

Three weeks later, Republican leaders, as many as 25 votes short of passage, were forced to pull their bill from the House floor.

[...]

“They informally said: Let’s stick together,” said one Freedom Caucus source who described the strategy. “Whenever someone had a conversation with a whip or a member of the leadership team, or there was a discussion with White House staff, there was immediate discussion with the group, whether it was via telephone or a ton of group meetings.”

The source added: “It made it much harder if you were in leadership to pick these guys off.”

[...]

In a particularly tense exchange, Ryan at the end of the meeting tried to go around the room to each individual Caucus member and ask where they stood. He first turned to Brooks. But Meadows jumped in, seeming to not allow the other Freedom Caucus members to answer the speaker, according to three sources in the room.

"Meadows said, ‘I speak for the group, I speak for the group,’” said one person in the meeting. “None of them could really get a word in. … [Meadows] didn't want to get these guys on the record in the room with the White House."

good piece on the freedom caucus strategy

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

wow he wasnt kiddin bout versailles

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

so they... unionized? ahhaha

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

GobiasIndustries posted:

He is literally unable to comprehend the fact that people can say no to him and might not like what he wants to do.

I posted this a couple of days ago but I still think it is true. I don't think Trump realizes that the legislature is a separate branch of government that is not in any way his employees. I 100% think he believes them to be his subordinates.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

punchymcpunch posted:

so they... unionized? ahhaha

Once again America was saved by solidarity.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

Thoguh posted:

I posted this a couple of days ago but I still think it is true. I don't think Trump realizes that the legislature is a separate branch of government that is not in any way his employees. I 100% think he believes them to be his subordinates.

Without a doubt. And I hope he continues to treat them like that.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

There's only one true 4x game.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Thoguh posted:

how funny i just saw this

https://twitter.com/NYTmag/status/845954152714899456

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I did a thing posted:

Let's say NATO isn't paying its fair share relative to each countries respective GDP.

Does Trump really not understand the value of having such a large military force to act as a proxy/buffer for the United States? Doesn't he recognize their strategic value is absolutely worth the money we provide to the alliance?

Mattis probably restrains himself daily from punching Trump in the throat.

no and he doesn't particularly care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. Also other world leaders.

• Locked thread